Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it too early to think about the 2015 Draft? [Merge]

Darn you, 1887!    You beat me to it!    :thmup:

I was going to ask the same question....   though I wasn't going to toss out names to consider....   but rather, positions for the Colts to consider drafting.

And with a full boatload of draft picks,  I'll officially go on record and say that I'd like to see the Colts use their first four picks in 2015 on.......    Defense.

In no specific order,  (yet) I'd like to see a pick at every level.   A safety, a corner, an outside linebacker and a DL.

Fifth round can be best offensive player available........    the last two rounds can simply be BPA.

But if we're ever going to have a defense we can count on to hold up against top teams in a deep playoff run,  the Colts need a LOT more talent on that side of the ball.     We need a defense that's intimidating...   that can force turnovers....   that can sack the quarterback from players other than Reggie Mathis.

A commitment needs to be made toward defense.    Period.  

Next year is year 4 in the Grigson/Pagano era.    Defense finally needs to be the priority.

Cory Redding

Josh Chapman

Arthur Jones

Ricky Jean-Francois

Erik Walden

Bjoern Werner

Jonathan Newsome

Vontae Davis

Greg Toler

Darius Butler

Laron Landry

Josh Gordy

I think they've already shown that defense is a priority.  They've just been getting offense primarily through the draft and defense from young up-and-comer FA's.  Yeah they've also signed a few stop-gap players along the way like Zbikowski, Franklin etc but for the most part, the FA defensive players that were brought in were brought in because they were still young enough to be with the team for as long as we want to keep them around.

One guy who seems to be flying under the radar a little (albeit this is early) is HENRY ANDERSON DE Stanford. He is 6'6" 290 lbs. He battled through injuries last season, but at one point was looking like a high draft pick. He could be a replacement for Cory Redding.

STEFON DIGGS WR Maryland could also be somewhat of a sleeper. He is coming off a broken fibula, and he could end up being a first round pick, but he has good size at 6'0" 200 lbs and great speed. It will be interesting to see what happens with Wayne and Nicks after the season, and the development of Brazill and Rogers. We may need a WR come next April.

I am looking forward to the 2014 season. Given we only had 5 draft picks, I like who we took. The more I see of Mehort, the more I like. I really love the Moncrief pick. I think next year will be when we see what Ulrick John has to offer.

As an Iowa fan I'm excited that we have a couple of guys on the radar as first round picks.  I think it's been a couple years since we've had someone go in the first round.

Now as a Colts fan I think our draft strategy has to be this.  Use this season to watch the O-line and see if it's fixed.  I consider the O-line fixed if it's above average (top 16).  

If it's not then use a first rounder to fix our O-line.

If it is fixed then spend at least 2 of the first 3 picks if not all 3 picks somewhere on defense.  There are very few positions where we don't either need improvement or a young player to take over for an aging vet.

Until this team gets a "consistent" pass rush folks will be crying for better DB's.

Everyone thought Davis and Toler were All Pro's up until the Denver game.    Then the pass rush cooled off, and teams started running on us.

Gotta get heat on the QB, and STOP the run.    Those are the keys to being a "very good" D.

NO CB can cover a WR is the QB has all day to throw.

Never too early if you're a wannabe scout like me!

One thing's for sure, we need to add talent to our DB unit next draft. Landry I can't see being here long term, and Howell may just be a stop gap. Plus Toler can easily be upgraded at CB. I for one would love to see 2 lockdown corners who can stay somewhat healthy.

As an Iowa fan I'm excited that we have a couple of guys on the radar as first round picks.  I think it's been a couple years since we've had someone go in the first round.

Now as a Colts fan I think our draft strategy has to be this.  Use this season to watch the O-line and see if it's fixed.  I consider the O-line fixed if it's above average (top 16).  

If it's not then use a first rounder to fix our O-line.

If it is fixed then spend at least 2 of the first 3 picks if not all 3 picks somewhere on defense.  There are very few positions where we don't either need improvement or a young player to take over for an aging vet.

OL, OLB (rush end), and S are the need areas going forward IMO.

OL, OLB (rush end), and S are the need areas going forward IMO.

CB2 unless Toler can stay healthy and throw together a good season.  

Defensive End, it would be nice to have a draft pick to improve on RJF.  

I think ILB will be a need soon.  

Pretty much anywhere on defense we need to bring in draft picks.