Colts draft Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss [Merge]

CR91

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How? He's only 20...

Ummmm, seriously? It could be that he is too young... and some teams took it as a possible issue. He has an immense amount of talent. I can't see how he was talked about a second rounder then fell like he did.

Okay, so the Moncrief pick I don't like. He's a big bodied receiver with speed and athleticism. He moves around effortlessly, he can handle physical DBs, he blocks well, etc. But he doesn't run a lot of routes, which isn't that big of a deal, because he has the feet and balance to continue to develop as a route runner.

The real problem is his catching. I hate to say it, but he reminds me of DHB. He tries to catch with his body instead of his hands, far too often. And when he does snag it with his hands, he draws it into his body without fully securing it, leaving it vulnerable to closing defenders. I do not like his hands, and neither does he. A receiver who is confident in his hands catching doesn't use his body to catch the football. He makes strong grabs from time to time, including tracking the ball over his shoulder and letting it drop in nice and pretty, but the majority of his catches are body catches. I hate body catches.

So I'm not thrilled with Moncrief. Now there are dozens of receivers in the league right now who learned to trust their hands, rather than body catching. But there are just as many who didn't, and that flaw has led to many of them bouncing around and eventually out of the league. 

We have 4 locks right now in Wayne, TY, Nicks, and Moncrief ( for this season ). I say we should let go of brazil. Rogers has huge potential, and I for some reason I really like Griff Whalen ( probably because I feel he has the potential to become our wes welker/ austin collie). Brazil did produce well when he was on the field but I say he has to go. Maybe trade him for a 7th.

What do you need most in a receiver? Catching perhaps? If you want a terrific athlete with sick speed, retain DHB. Don't replace a guy that can't catch with a guy that can't catch!

Moncrief can catch. He's much better at this point than DHB was, IMO.

Okay, so the Moncrief pick I don't like. He's a big bodied receiver with speed and athleticism. He moves around effortlessly, he can handle physical DBs, he blocks well, etc. But he doesn't run a lot of routes, which isn't that big of a deal, because he has the feet and balance to continue to develop as a route runner.

The real problem is his catching. I hate to say it, but he reminds me of DHB. He tries to catch with his body instead of his hands, far too often. And when he does snag it with his hands, he draws it into his body without fully securing it, leaving it vulnerable to closing defenders. I do not like his hands, and neither does he. A receiver who is confident in his hands catching doesn't use his body to catch the football. He makes strong grabs from time to time, including tracking the ball over his shoulder and letting it drop in nice and pretty, but the majority of his catches are body catches. I hate body catches.

So I'm not thrilled with Moncrief. Now there are dozens of receivers in the league right now who learned to trust their hands, rather than body catching. But there are just as many who didn't, and that flaw has led to many of them bouncing around and eventually out of the league.

Wow, after looking at his highlight reel reel you are 100% correct....lots of body catching which is a complete turnoff. Da'rick has the same problem

We have 4 locks right now in Wayne, TY, Nicks, and Moncrief ( for this season ). I say we should let go of brazil. Rogers has huge potential, and I for some reason I really like Griff Whalen ( probably because I feel he has the potential to become our wes welker/ austin collie). Brazil did produce well when he was on the field but I say he has to go. Maybe trade him for a 7th.

Guys like Rogers and Moncrief who are big bodies will pay off big time with TY, Nicks, and Wayne. Brazill has speed, but never took off partially do to being suspended... but could be a special teamer. Add a returning Allen with Fleener we will have a insane amount of weapons on offense.

I hope think the o-line will be greatly improved... and thus the running game will improve because of the threat of passing game.

Wow, after looking at his highlight reel reel you are 100% correct....lots of body catching which is a complete turnoff. Da'rick has the same problem

He has the ability to make the hands catches. He does it. If you watch his LSU tape or his G-Tech tape, he makes pro style hands grabs. One on the sideline, one on a comeback with a defender draped all over him, etc. He just needs to attack the ball with his hands.

That's why I hesitate to compare him to guys like DHB who body catch because their hands suck. Moncrief has good hands. He just doesn't trust them, or hasn't learned how to trust them.

He's also not as good at highpointing the ball as you'd think. His workout numbers suggest that he's one of the most explosive athletes in the draft -- and in the league, really. His "true height" is one of the best as well. But he doesn't go up and snag balls the way you'd want a 6'3" WR with a 40" vertical leap to do. 

Thanks for clarifying. I concur.

The Mewhort pick isn't sexy, but had to be done. We need talent and depth across the line. The Donte pick is slightly concerning. I reckon reggie's not progressing as well as we orginally thought/or they predict a big drop off in his production.

The Mewhort pick isn't sexy, but had to be done. We need talent and depth across the line. The Donte pick is slightly concerning. I reckon reggie's not progressing as well as we orginally thought/or they predict a big drop off in his production.

Or Reggie is old and Nicks is a question mark and both could be gone after this season.

I'd actually be curious to see what makes you think he has more body catches than hand catches.  I've watched a couple, but not all of his film.  And of the few games I did see (i.e. Georgia Tech) he had some very impressive catches and some of the oens he missed were just terrible throws.  Not saying you are wrong, but I am curious what it is that you see.  Because I didnt' see a DHB body catch type prospect.

I think it is more than likely that Reggie is getter older... and we need to think about the next receiver to step in when he is gone. If Reggie is in he will produce.

I have to agree, but I have more of an optimistic viewpoint.

I agree that his two biggest faults are his route running and catching with his body (instead of his hands). However, with some development and sitting behind Reggie for a year or two, he'll be able to overcome those mistakes. 

He isn't ready to start yet, but his ceiling is high and he has the right people around him to bring him to that ceiling. 

I agree that his two biggest faults are his route running and catching with his body (instead of his hands). However, with some development and sitting behind Reggie for a year or two, he'll be able to overcome those mistakes. B

He isn't ready to start yet, but his ceiling is high and he has the right people around him to bring him to that ceiling.

I don't know, if a receiver isn't consistently catching with his hands by the time he reaches the nfl I'm not convinced he ever will. Then again I only watched a highlight reel

I don't know, if a receiver isn't consistently catching with his hands by the time he reaches the nfl I'm not convinced he ever will. Then again I only watched a highlight reel

I picked 3 games in a row at random...GA tech, 2012 LSU, 2013 LSU, and the body catches he did make actually made a lot of sense...no one was around him and/or he was falling as he made the catch...the others that were hand grabs were solid catches...maybe I'm not watching the film that the others are talking about....but I'm not seeing a bad receiver...or at least one taht won't succeed at the NFL level.

And how many are drops?  I get your issue, but it seems to be nitpicking a bit.  You can take issue with some of his catches but they are catches. It's not like he's dropping the ball all over the place and is known for doing so. I think he'll be able to make a shift here or there if need be to refine things a bit.  Unlike Heyward Bey

He's got good mentors in Wayne and Nicks I'll say that.

Are Moncrief's college stats and level of play better than Rogers' college numbers? I say no. This was not a need nor an upgrade, rather a wasted opportunity. We already have Nicks to replace Wayne, and Rogers as our 'potential' player.

I dunno.  I see a guy who catches the ball.  So we can nitpick about how he catches the ball, but he clearly has the ability to catch the ball and do it with his hands.  Getting him at 90 overall to me is a solid choice.  He may not grade out as a 1st round guy or whatever.  But I think he is a good choice and a WR that will stick around this team for quite some time.  I'm not seeing a guy that was a bad choice.  Just my two cents.

And how many are drops?  I get your issue, but it seems to be nitpicking a bit.  You can take issue with some of his catches but they are catches. It's not like he's dropping the ball all over the place and is known for doing so. I think he'll be able to make a shift here or there if need be to refine things a bit.  Unlike Heyward Bey

A few drops, more than anyone on this board would be comfortable with. 

The reason you don't catch with your body is because when you take contact while making the catch, the ball gets knocked loose. You secure it with your hands to control the ball. You don't have to hold it out away from your body, but the ball should be secured with your hands, then you pull it in to your body. It also helps you to catch balls on the run, like on slants or crossing patterns, so that you don't have to stop, square yourself to the ball, and let it into your body. It's just not the right way to catch a football.

It bothers me because it's indicative of a lack of confidence in your craft. We've all heard and read about how hard DHB worked, how many times he'd stay after practice on the jugs machine, working on his hands, etc. But come game time, he'd consistently try to suck the ball into his stomach because he didn't trust his hands. After three years of college ball, and hundreds of hours of practice, Moncrief hasn't developed enough confidence to look the ball into his hands consistently, rather than body catching. The technique can be taught, but confidence can't be transferred or coached up. And some guys never quite "get it." 

I'm admittedly partial to more technically proficient receivers. And when you have someone with Moncrief's physical talents, and you combine it with technical skill, you have a special player like Larry Fitzgerald. That's what Moncrief reminds me of from a physical standpoint. But Fitz attacks the ball with his hands, which is why he's one of the best receivers in the league. He treats the ball as if it belongs to him alone, and how dare anyone else try to catch it! He reaches out and snags it from wherever it might be, he highpoints it consistently, and he secures it with his hands. Because it's the best way to catch the ball.

So yeah, it's a nitpick, but it's one of the things that separates a good athlete from a good receiver. Moncrief obviously isn't a finished product, but I think it's much more difficult to help a player rely on his hands like he should than it is to teach him a full route tree or how to create separation as he comes out of his breaks or how to use his body to keep defenders off the ball. 

I dunno.  I see a guy who catches the ball.  So we can nitpick about how he catches the ball, but he clearly has the ability to catch the ball and do it with his hands.  Getting him at 90 overall to me is a solid choice.  He may not grade out as a 1st round guy or whatever.  But I think he is a good choice and a WR that will stick around this team for quite some time.  I'm not seeing a guy that was a bad choice.  Just my two cents.

I just watched his Arkansas tape, and he caught a comeback, the defender missed the tackle, and Moncrief ran past the rest of the secondary for a 50 yard TD. Someone was going to take him, no doubt, because he's just too physically gifted not to get drafted. So I don't think he was a bad pick.

But his body catching leads to a lot of drops (watch his Alabama tape; you said you watched his 2013 LSU tape, there are drops in that game as well. There's one where the ball glances off his shoulder when he could have made a nice hands catch). And the other issue is that, because he doesn't attack with his hands, he doesn't use his hands as effectively as he should. There's a play in the GT game, watch the draftbreakdown tape at about the 5:00 mark, where they throw a fade to the end zone. Because Moncrief wants to let the ball drop into his bread basket, instead of attacking it with his hands, he loses sight of it as he falls behind the defender and drops the pass. If he had gone up and attacked it like the monster his physical tools say he should be, that would be the kind of play that separates him from everyone else. 

This is what separated him from pretty much everyone above him. Even Allen Robinson, who doesn't run a lot of routes and occasionally body catches, uses his hands better. Davante Adams has a ton of catches in the end zone where he highpoints the ball over two defenders and snatches it out of the air. Very few of those plays from Moncrief. There are some; in the same GT game, he makes a sideline grab that reminds me of Reggie, because he reaches out from his body toward the sideline and plucks the ball out of the air, with a defender all over him.

It's like I said above, it is a nitpick, but I think it's a very important trait for a successful receiver in the NFL to have. And not trusting your hands is a big deal.

And you got this from.....where?

You serious? Pagano has made it clear since Arians left for Arizona that he wants a ground oriented offense. We now have 5-6 receivers who realistically should be seeing playing time, be it for their developed talent or because of their potential, and 2-3 of them likely won't get significant snaps because we'll be in run personnel frequently. I think it was a pointless pick

A few drops, more than anyone on this board would be comfortable with. 

The reason you don't catch with your body is because when you take contact while making the catch, the ball gets knocked loose. You secure it with your hands to control the ball. You don't have to hold it out away from your body, but the ball should be secured with your hands, then you pull it in to your body. It also helps you to catch balls on the run, like on slants or crossing patterns, so that you don't have to stop, square yourself to the ball, and let it into your body. It's just not the right way to catch a football.

It bothers me because it's indicative of a lack of confidence in your craft. We've all heard and read about how hard DHB worked, how many times he'd stay after practice on the jugs machine, working on his hands, etc. But come game time, he'd consistently try to suck the ball into his stomach because he didn't trust his hands. After three years of college ball, and hundreds of hours of practice, Moncrief hasn't developed enough confidence to look the ball into his hands consistently, rather than body catching. The technique can be taught, but confidence can't be transferred or coached up. And some guys never quite "get it." 

I'm admittedly partial to more technically proficient receivers. And when you have someone with Moncrief's physical talents, and you combine it with technical skill, you have a special player like Larry Fitzgerald. That's what Moncrief reminds me of from a physical standpoint. But Fitz attacks the ball with his hands, which is why he's one of the best receivers in the league. He treats the ball as if it belongs to him alone, and how dare anyone else try to catch it! He reaches out and snags it from wherever it might be, he highpoints it consistently, and he secures it with his hands. Because it's the best way to catch the ball.

So yeah, it's a nitpick, but it's one of the things that separates a good athlete from a good receiver. Moncrief obviously isn't a finished product, but I think it's much more difficult to help a player rely on his hands like he should than it is to teach him a full route tree or how to create separation as he comes out of his breaks or how to use his body to keep defenders off the ball. 

I haven't seen many players like DHB to be honest in all of my years of watching football.  His hands were bad in college, probably even bad in high school.  He brought that stuff into the pros with him as someting he's always been bad at.  I totally understand the logic and the reasoning behind catching the ball with your hands as it is the best way to secure a football.  However I'm not so concerned in the case of Moncrief myself because I've seen plenty of cases where he catches the ball with his hands with no issues.  Even in the spots where he uses his body he is not dropping the football.  It may be an old habit he's always carried that no one really impressed on him he should change. Who knows?  It may not even have anything to do with a lack of confidence in his hands.  He may not even stop catching with his body totally, but I do believe you can get him to do it less. People come into the NFL all the time with different habits they have to clean up.   I think we have a much bigger opportunity to succeed with molding Moncrief in this area than with DHB. At least that's my assumption for now......... 

I agree that his two biggest faults are his route running and catching with his body (instead of his hands). However, with some development and sitting behind Reggie for a year or two, he'll be able to overcome those mistakes. 

Like BotT said, it's a hard trait to suddenly "get." Route running? Yeah, he has the feet, he has the agility and the balance. But hands catching? I'm less enthused.

You serious? Pagano has made it clear since Arians left for Arizona that he wants a ground oriented offense. We now have 5-6 receivers who realistically should be seeing playing time, be it for their developed talent or because of their potential, and 2-3 of them likely won't get significant snaps because we'll be in run personnel frequently. I think it was a pointless pick

Wanting to run the ball effectively, and even wanting to run it more than 40% of the time, doesn't mean you don't want to throw the ball. And it doesn't mean you want a "ground oriented offense." I think that's a stretch.

To me, Pagano's strategy is far more nuanced than that. But to sum up, I think he wants our run game to not suck, so we can take some pressure off the QB and shorten games for the defense. I'm sure we'll make good use of our passing game.

I don't much see the point in grabbing all of these receivers via free agency and draft when we have a head coach who doesn't even want to throw the football. Seems like he's got talent, I just think we had more pressing needs

Yet, Luck has attempted 1200 passes in two yrs

I haven't seen many players like DHB to be honest in all of my years of watching football.  His hands were bad in college, probably even bad in high school.  He brought that stuff into the pros with him as someting he's always been bad at.  I totally understand the logic and the reasoning behind catching the ball with your hands as it is the best way to secure a football.  However I'm not so concerned in the case of Moncrief myself because I've seen plenty of cases where he catches the ball with his hands with no issues.  Even in the spots where he uses his body he is not dropping the football.  It may be an old habit he's always carried that no one really impressed on him he should change. Who knows?  It may not even have anything to do with a lack of confidence in his hands.  He may not even stop catching with his body totally, but I do believe you can get him to do it less. People come into the NFL all the time with different habits they have to clean up.   I think we have a much bigger opportunity to succeed with Moncrief than with DHB. At least that's my assumption for now......... 

Yeah, Moncrief > DHB. Like I said, I'm not jumping at that comparison, but it hits close to home because we had to watch DHB try to jump catch routine passes all year long.

And yes, young receivers need refinement in different areas all the time. But I think Moncrief's way of catching the ball is indicative of other issues. Highpointing the ball is a prime example. In the GT game, he dropped a pass in the end zone on a fade because he was trying to let it drop into his body, rather than going up and getting it. His mentality is somewhat reflected in his desire to catch with his body.

And of all the traits I'd want to "teach" a young pass catcher, hands catching is at the bottom of the list.

Last thing, Moncrief absolute CAN catch with his hands, and does. But the vast majority, he lets them into his body. And it's a red flag, IMO. 

Like BotT said, it's a hard trait to suddenly "get." Route running? Yeah, he has the feet, he has the agility and the balance. But hands catching? I'm less enthused.

There have been other receivers to come into the league with this problem and they've had productive careers in the NFL. It's something that can be learned, but needs at least 2 years of development, which is why I think it will work out well.

If the Colts were relying on this guy to come in and have an impact right away, they would be in for a disapointment, but they have the best guys around him teaching him the subtleties of the game. 

As a former receiver on a CIS level, I can tell you that catching with your hands is something that can be learned. There are plenty of drills that can be performed to help improve his receiving skills, but the most important thing is for the coaching staff to imprint it in his mind. If they can do that, then he'll be successful, but if they can't, then he'll revert to his old bad form in games.

It's up to the coaching staff on this one, but he'll need a good amount of development, but he has the size, athleticism and speed to be a very good receiver. 

Or maybe they don't trust Nicks, or both

Who knows?

the entire colts management should be fired and irsay should sell the team to an LA investment group

You live in LA? A couple years ago I would have been all for this when I lived there, but sorry, they have to stay now that I'm back home again in Indiana.

Yeah, Moncrief > DHB. Like I said, I'm not jumping at that comparison, but it hits close to home because we had to watch DHB try to jump catch routine passes all year long.

And yes, young receivers need refinement in different areas all the time. But I think Moncrief's way of catching the ball is indicative of other issues. Highpointing the ball is a prime example. In the GT game, he dropped a pass in the end zone on a fade because he was trying to let it drop into his body, rather than going up and getting it. His mentality is somewhat reflected in his desire to catch with his body.

And of all the traits I'd want to "teach" a young pass catcher, hands catching is at the bottom of the list.

Last thing, Moncrief absolute CAN catch with his hands, and does. But the vast majority, he lets them into his body. And it's a red flag, IMO. 

I think his issues are more of refinement.  Not to nitpick but that little quick fade that Peyton and Marvin used to do, at least from my memory I've seen Marvin on more than one occasion let the ball drop into his body and he'd catch it right at his chest area with his hands.  I don't think you can totally coach it away. However I do feel with the right effort on his(Moncrief) behalf, and some good coaching he can turn into something real big.  I'm just happy the dude can catch the deep ball without much issue.  That DHB was allergic to catching anything other than that stupid crossing route!

I think his issues are more of refinement. Not to nitpick but that little quick fade that Peyton and Marvin used to do, at least from my memory I've seen Marvin on more than one occasion let the ball drop into his body and he'd catch it right at his chest area with his hands. I don't think you can totally coach it away. However I do feel with the right effort on his(Moncrief) behalf, and some good coaching he can turn into something real big. I'm just happy the dude can catch the deep ball without much issue. That DHB was allergic to catching anything other than that stupid crossing route!

I hope so. Like Andy said, hopefully he is a deep reserve this year and just works on his craft. He also looked lost in the run game sometimes, not knowing who to block or which way to block them. Not a big deal, but he needs to study a lot.

Physically, he's a monster, but he doesn't always play like it. Sometimes gets outbattled by smaller DBs, like the beginning of the LSU game. But if he starts attacking and learns to use his body better, I think he'll be fine.

I hope so. Like Andy said, hopefully he is a deep reserve this year and just works on his craft. He also looked lost in the run game sometimes, not knowing who to block or which way to block them. Not a big deal, but he needs to study a lot.

Physically, he's a monster, but he doesn't always play like it. Sometimes gets outbattled by smaller DBs, like the beginning of the LSU game. But if he starts attacking and learns to use his body better, I think he'll be fine.

I think he's got A.J. Green type potential with some refinement