Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GCG5150 Draft Profile: Marcus Smith

Hello Everyone- I though since we are getting closer to the draft, I would put together some draft profiles on people the Colts may consider. If you anyone you want me to talk about- let me know. Today, thanks to Chelsea_fc and due to personal choice, I will talk about Marcus Smith from Louisville.

Strengths:

He is one of those OLB's in the draft who is constantly getting to or getting close to the QB, sometimes you see some players that go for large stretches and pick up sacks against lesser opponents , Smith isn't one of them. In all of the games I have watched, he at least has a sack or creates some sort of pressure.

He is able to set the edge. Pagano talked about how setting the edge is one of the criteria him and Grigson look at for an OLB. If you watch him vs Miami (The U), on a 4th and 1, he caused them RB to try and cut back inside and that impressed me a lot.

Along with that, unlike other players, Smith actually plays to the whistle, which some in this class don't do, be it a run play or  a pass rush.

His technique of stripping the ball is very good, he has often- when the QB is a about to throw, go a bit higher- but in doing so- means he is likely to get the strip sack (E.g. Vs Miami), he is also very smart in the sense- if he sees the QB is going to throw the ball and he can't make the sack, he will often jump to pat it down.

Concerns: 

This could go in positive ( depends how you see it)- he has only played the position for 4 years ( no a bad length but not as long as others in this class), therefore some would argue he still may be a little raw.

He seems very much a speed rusher- if he wants to have consistent success- to me, Smith will need to build up a little more upper strength to help with a bull rush vs NFL Tackles

At Louisville- he wasn't asked too much to drop back into coverage, in theory Smith's speed should mean he can do so- but there will be questions if he can do so in practice.

My same concern with players like Teddy Bridgewater, is did Smith play against decent enough competition? Louisville was ranked 98th in schedule strength with Smith's best game coming against Rutgers/UConn.

Pro Comparison: Clay Matthews- I may get heckled for this but I compare him to Matthews for a few reasons. Firstly they are both about 6'3 253 Lbs and there combine stats are quite identical in some respects:

Pre-draft measurables Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic 6 ft 3 in 240 lb 4.62 s 1.58 s 2.59 s 4.18 s 6.90 s 35½ in 10 ft 1 in 23 reps 26 All values from NFL Combine except 40-yard dash (and splits) from USC Pro Day

Height Weight Arm Hand 6033 251 34" 10"
40-yd dash 10-yd split Vert Broad 3-Cone Bench 4.68 1.57 35" 10'1" 7.48 23

and Matthews has become one of the Premier 3-4 OLBs in the league, and that's how high I think Smith ceiling is. 

Should the Colts draft him: If the Front Office look to go for a BPA situation, then I think they should have a long look at Smith. If I was Grigson, I would take Smith with our 1st pick if they isn't any decent safety, otherwise I would hope he would fall in the 3rd and we can grab him.

Let me know if there is anyone you want me to write about.

I would love for Dee Ford, Attachou, Van Noy or Marcus Smith to still be there at our 2nd round pick.  Ford seems the most unlikely but who knows...different teams fall in love with different prospects for any of a number of reasons.  But if we could get at least one of them I'd be thrilled.  

I am also interested in seeing more of Carl Bradford and Adrian Hubbard of Alabama too.  Watched one of Hubbard's draftbreakdown videos last night and thought he was better than I was expecting. Plan to watch more in the coming days.  Haven't really watched any of Bradford yet though.

I appreciate you doing that GCG, a very good write up on my favorite in the draft. I try not to get too high on him, but he does so well in every game I've seen.

Miami was considered a good team last year and Smith had one of his best games against them. Also, when watching him on draftbreakdown, he seems to do well when he drops back into coverage.

Colts are taking a serious look at Marcus Smith. I posted an article on the forum today talking about LB's and DE's who will go after the 1st round who are getting some attention, and look poised to be good. Smith is on the list. Go to the thread I posted. It has 10 players, many of them talked about by people on the forum here. It is really nice to see an article by a former scout, and see that 4 of the players he has on his list are potential draft candidates people here have spotted for the Colts. We have some some really good eyes for talent out there on this forum. Good job, keep it up!  :thmup:

I appreciate you doing that GCG, a very good write up on my favorite in the draft. I try not to get too high on him, but he does so well in every game I've seen.

Miami was considered a good team last year and Smith had one of his best games against them. Also, when watching him on draftbreakdown, he seems to do well when he drops back into coverage.

There are a few reasons I decided to write a draft profile for Smith:

1. You asked nicely.

2. I like Smith myself- so I was going to do a profile on him sooner or later.

3. You are a fellow Brit ( I think) so we need to stick together  :thmup:

4. I am taking procrastination for my A-levels to a whole new level and I thought it may aswell be football related.

Also Smith has seemed decent dropping in coverage, but it has been a very limited sample for me to make any decisions.  

I agree with GoColts that our bloggers show an amazing knowledge of a subject many would feel is a complete waste of time :)  The real scouts get to look at more tape, true.  On the Marcus Smith topic, I think Grigson feels about Bjorn Werner the way he feels about Khaled Holmes.  He likes 'em; he picked 'em.  So, a Marcus Smith pick at 59 would surprise me, but who knows.  One of the pleasures of following the Colts is the unpredictable style of Ryan Grigson.

I agree with GoColts that our bloggers show an amazing knowledge of a subject many would feel is a complete waste of time :)  The real scouts get to look at more tape, true.  On the Marcus Smith topic, I think Grigson feels about Bjorn Werner the way he feels about Khaled Holmes.  He likes 'em; he picked 'em.  So, a Marcus Smith pick at 59 would surprise me, but who knows.  One of the pleasures of following the Colts is the unpredictable style of Ryan Grigson.

It wouldn't be a surprise pick. Mathis is likely in his last season as a Colt since age is a factor. He did outstanding this past season but we need to get a replacement for him. I'd like Smith, since unlike Werner he seems to be a natural at OLB and can do the things you need a OLB to do like set the edge and drop into coverage.

I just think that we have some glaring needs to fill on the defensive side of the ball (S) (CB) (DL) in that order. I think we should go need over BPA our first 2 picks, because we have very few picks.

Well I agree with you that we should go BPA.  There's intriguing prospects everywhere.  I don't like taking any CB in the 2nd unless Verret falls to us.  I'd consider Jimmie Ward or Brooks in the 2nd, too.  As for DL, what exactly were you talking about specifically?  Because, from where I stand, the OLB in our defense kind of functions as a DL.

Well I agree with you that we should go BPA.  There's intriguing prospects everywhere.  I don't like taking any CB in the 2nd unless Verret falls to us.  I'd consider Jimmie Ward or Brooks in the 2nd, too.  As for DL, what exactly were you talking about specifically?  Because, from where I stand, the OLB in our defense kind of functions as a DL.

I think you misunderstood me. I do not think we should necessarily go BPA until after the 3rd round. I guess DL isnt a glaring need like I said, but I am still hoping we one day have a monster pro bowl 3-4 dlinemen.

As far as defending the pass I guess you're right our olb either put their hand in the dirt or blitz on most obvious passing downs. I just feel like our dline gets thrown around at times during the run. I feel that in order to run a successful 3-4 you need a real stud at NT who commands attention. 

I think you misunderstood me. I do not think we should necessarily go BPA until after the 3rd round. I guess DL isnt a glaring need like I said, but I am still hoping we one day have a monster pro bowl 3-4 dlinemen.

As far as defending the pass I guess you're right our olb either put their hand in the dirt or blitz on most obvious passing downs. I just feel like our dline gets thrown around at times during the run. I feel that in order to run a successful 3-4 you need a real stud at NT who commands attention. 

Oh, I did misunderstand you.  Re-read it and didn't notice you said "need over BPA" with the 2nd.  To me, that's a give and take proposition.  I don't mind reaching a little bit for a need as opposed to simply taking the BPA.  But whta I don't want to do is reach for a guy that could, in all likelihood be there when it comes time to pick at 90th overall.  That to me is a wasted pick - or at bare minimum turning your 2nd round pick into a 3rd round pick without trading back. 

As far as the NT remark, I agree, the NT is a staple of any 3-4 andy ou need to have a good one.  I think the Colts (and me for that matter) believe that Chapman is that guy.  He didn't do bad last year, which for all intents and purposes was his de facto rookie season.  I think before I'd select a NT in the 2nd, for instance, I'd rather select a different position of need and see how Chapman does this year.  If it doesn't work out, ti doesn't work out.  But we were bad across the board in the run last year, so ti's really hard to pinpoint any one guy.  We've upgraded at ILB and DE with Jackson and Jones, and I think these two will help out tremendously as compared to last year.  With Redding rotating with Francois and Chapman, depending on the down and distance, I think this guys would be at least a solid interior DL unit.  Plus, there are some solid NTs late in the draft we could take, so if Chapman doesn't work out this year, the prospect would be competing for a job next year if he didn't already win it at some point this season.   Guys like Deandre Coleman, Shamar Stephen, and Kyhri Thorton are decent Day 3 NT prospects.

Oh, I did misunderstand you.  Re-read it and didn't notice you said "need over BPA" with the 2nd.  To me, that's a give and take proposition.  I don't mind reaching a little bit for a need as opposed to simply taking the BPA.  But whta I don't want to do is reach for a guy that could, in all likelihood be there when it comes time to pick at 90th overall.  That to me is a wasted pick - or at bare minimum turning your 2nd round pick into a 3rd round pick without trading back. 

As far as the NT remark, I agree, the NT is a staple of any 3-4 andy ou need to have a good one.  I think the Colts (and me for that matter) believe that Chapman is that guy.  He didn't do bad last year, which for all intents and purposes was his de facto rookie season.  I think before I'd select a NT in the 2nd, for instance, I'd rather select a different position of need and see how Chapman does this year.  If it doesn't work out, ti doesn't work out.  But we were bad across the board in the run last year, so ti's really hard to pinpoint any one guy.  We've upgraded at ILB and DE with Jackson and Jones, and I think these two will help out tremendously as compared to last year.  With Redding rotating with Francois and Chapman, depending on the down and distance, I think this guys would be at least a solid interior DL unit.  Plus, there are some solid NTs late in the draft we could take, so if Chapman doesn't work out this year, the prospect would be competing for a job next year if he didn't already win it at some point this season.   Guys like Deandre Coleman, Shamar Stephen, and Kyhri Thorton are decent Day 3 NT prospects.

True. I think in the our first 2 rounds, if we dont take a db it is a waste.

I would consider OLB a bigger need than DL.  We have a very solid DL rotation at this point imo.  At OLB on the other hand, we have Mathis, Walden and Werner but who else?  After that it's Cam Johnson, Adongo, Studebaker and Hickman.  I think Johnson could develop into a good player but I'm not holding my breath on the other three.  If Adongo does then great but he's by no means a guarantee, not that any draft pick is a guarantee either but at least with a draft pick you're getting someone with experience at the position.  Studebaker probably isn't going to get much better than he is and to be honest, I've never really been all that impressed with Hickman, plus..can he stay healthy?  

I've seen some people mock 2 safeties to the Colts in this draft.  IMO, that would be a waste.  I would rather take 2 OLB/DE guys than 2 safeties.  Mathis is in his last years and Walden was solid last year but not really special in any way.  I'm not unhappy with him but if the right guy came along then I wouldn't hesitate to try to upgrade.  

I would consider OLB a bigger need than DL.  We have a very solid DL rotation at this point imo.  At OLB on the other hand, we have Mathis, Walden and Werner but who else?  After that it's Cam Johnson, Adongo, Studebaker and Hickman.  I think Johnson could develop into a good player but I'm not holding my breath on the other three.  If Adongo does then great but he's by no means a guarantee, not that any draft pick is a guarantee either but at least with a draft pick you're getting someone with experience at the position.  Studebaker probably isn't going to get much better than he is and to be honest, I've never really been all that impressed with Hickman, plus..can he stay healthy?  

I've seen some people mock 2 safeties to the Colts in this draft.  IMO, that would be a waste.  I would rather take 2 OLB/DE guys than 2 safeties.  Mathis is in his last years and Walden was solid last year but not really special in any way.  I'm not unhappy with him but if the right guy came along then I wouldn't hesitate to try to upgrade.  

I just dont see the need to find starter material for the fourth position on the depth chart at olb. I would rather fill a position where there is no clear starter than waste picks where we have 3 people we know can start.

We have bigger needs than shoving another player into the OLB rotation so we have four solid OLBers and NO FS.

I just dont see the need to find starter material for the fourth position on the depth chart at olb. I would rather fill a position where there is no clear starter than waste picks where we have 3 people we know can start.

We have bigger needs than shoving another player into the OLB rotation so we have four solid OLBers and NO FS.

Never said not to take a FS.  If Terrence Brooks or Jimmy Ward are there in round 2 then I'd be happy with that.  However, I wouldn't reach on anyone else in the 2nd just to get a Safety with that pick.  That's assuming of course that Clinton-Dix or Pryor don't somehow fall to #59.  Anyone else I wouldn't bother with in the 2nd.  I'd rather take Dion Bailey in the 4th (some kind of trade down or trade up scenario) than take anyone else besides Ward or Brooks in round 2.  

You're also lumping OLB into one group and that's not the case.  There's RushLB with Mathis - Werner and there's SamLB with Walden-?.  Last year Werner was the primary backup to both but that's not ideal.  So right now we're missing a primary backup at one of those positions, likely SamLB.  

One other thing to consider, I don't have any stats behind this but I would venture to guess that OLB's/pass rushers tend to sub in and out more often than safeties do.  

Never said not to take a FS.  If Terrence Brooks or Jimmy Ward are there in round 2 then I'd be happy with that.  However, I wouldn't reach on anyone else in the 2nd just to get a Safety with that pick.  That's assuming of course that Clinton-Dix or Pryor don't somehow fall to #59.  Anyone else I wouldn't bother with in the 2nd.  I'd rather take Dion Bailey in the 4th (some kind of trade down or trade up scenario) than take anyone else besides Ward or Brooks in round 2.  

You're also lumping OLB into one group and that's not the case.  There's RushLB with Mathis - Werner and there's SamLB with Walden-?.  Last year Werner was the primary backup to both but that's not ideal.  So right now we're missing a primary backup at one of those positions, likely SamLB.  

One other thing to consider, I don't have any stats behind this but I would venture to guess that OLB's/pass rushers tend to sub in and out more often than safeties do.  

In our defense for DL/OLB, I would say at least once per set of downs.  Safeties on a much less frequent basis.  In fact, the more likely scenario is when we change from our base 3-4 to nickel or dime, in which case, the safety being subbed in or out is generally paired with a linebacker (though, not the pass rushing type - probably Freeman or Jackson).

I do agree with you that we need to find a FS, I am not willing to reach on one if one is not there.

The thing you are failing to realize is this, we do have some depth at OLB, but not much, without Mathis going off like he did last year, there would have been absolute zero in the pass rushing department.  Just because we have 3 players that can start at OLB does not mean that they are all quality players.  We failed to get any pressure on the QB last year outside of Mathis, so lets say that he gets injured next year, all the sudden the Colts cannot get pressure on the QB and our secondary would be getting torched left and right.

I would say that getting another OLB that can get to the QB is a must, Walden couldn't do it, Werner couldn't do it.  Even with Mathis in there we would fail to get consistent pressure on the QB.  I think we would all be amazed at how much better our secondary would look if we could get constant pressure on the QB.  So I fail to see how you can say that OLB is not a need when outside of Mathis, the Colts would have had around 20 sacks all year.

So say someone like Smith was there with our 2nd pick, he has only played OLB for 4 years now and was the AAC defensive player of the year and first team all AAC last year.  If you watch the tape on him, he can already do everything Walden can do and could be starting for him as early as middle of the season (and this is coming from a guy who does not think Walden was a bad player).  He sets the edge well on running plays, can drop back into coverage, oh and he can actually provide pressure on the QB, something the Colts need help with.  Then he can spell Mathis at the Rush LB spot when needed.

This is not meant to be an attack on you, just more so letting you know that OLB is not exactly a Colts strength and something that they can and should probably address in the near future.  Remember Mathis is 33, he can't go on playing forever, even though I know we all would like him to.

There are a few reasons I decided to write a draft profile for Smith:

1. You asked nicely.

2. I like Smith myself- so I was going to do a profile on him sooner or later.

3. You are a fellow Brit ( I think) so we need to stick together  :thmup:

4. I am taking procrastination for my A-levels to a whole new level and I thought it may aswell be football related.

Also Smith has seemed decent dropping in coverage, but it has been a very limited sample for me to make any decisions.  

Well none the less I do appreciate you writing it.

Sadly I hate to break it to you, I am not a Brit, I actually live in Indiana, but I am an avid football (soccer) fan and have followed Chelsea and the Premiership for over 10 years now.  I've played the sport my entire life and started when I was 3 years old.  I hope to someday be able to head over there and get to Stamford Bridge at least one time in my life to watch a game.

Lastly, I do not know if you did or not, but read that article from Chad72, it talks about Smith in coverage and I think should quell any fear you had on that.

I think youre pretty much right. I thought Werner did end up playing a lot of SAM which wasnt intended I dont think. Correct me if I am wrong. Didnt most of his pass rushing come from having his hand in the dirt?

I do agree with you that we need to find a FS, I am not willing to reach on one if one is not there.

The thing you are failing to realize is this, we do have some depth at OLB, but not much, without Mathis going off like he did last year, there would have been absolute zero in the pass rushing department.  Just because we have 3 players that can start at OLB does not mean that they are all quality players.  We failed to get any pressure on the QB last year outside of Mathis, so lets say that he gets injured next year, all the sudden the Colts cannot get pressure on the QB and our secondary would be getting torched left and right.

I would say that getting another OLB that can get to the QB is a must, Walden couldn't do it, Werner couldn't do it.  Even with Mathis in there we would fail to get consistent pressure on the QB.  I think we would all be amazed at how much better our secondary would look if we could get constant pressure on the QB.  So I fail to see how you can say that OLB is not a need when outside of Mathis, the Colts would have had around 20 sacks all year.

So say someone like Smith was there with our 2nd pick, he has only played OLB for 4 years now and was the AAC defensive player of the year and first team all AAC last year.  If you watch the tape on him, he can already do everything Walden can do and could be starting for him as early as middle of the season (and this is coming from a guy who does not think Walden was a bad player).  He sets the edge well on running plays, can drop back into coverage, oh and he can actually provide pressure on the QB, something the Colts need help with.  Then he can spell Mathis at the Rush LB spot when needed.

This is not meant to be an attack on you, just more so letting you know that OLB is not exactly a Colts strength and something that they can and should probably address in the near future.  Remember Mathis is 33, he can't go on playing forever, even though I know we all would like him to.

Some very good points. You guys have all changed my mind a little, but the main point like many of you have pointed out is seeing who is available when we pick. If there isnt a good safety available, meaning we aren't reaching, then I would only be okay taking a olb if he is a hoss.

To be fair, I never heard of Jeremiah Attouchu until I was reading here. I watched his Clemson tape and was blown away. I could definitely get on board with taking a guy like him at 59. One of my weaknesses is only focusing on players who play positions of need. Therefore, Ill admit it is tough to me to contribute to a discussion on BPA and I may sound one sided.

I do think, we aren't keeping enough faith in Werner. Faith can be a dangerous thing to gamble on as far as whether a player reaches their potential, but I think it is a fair gamble in Werners case. He missed, idk, like 6 games? If he had those games back he couldve easily had 4-5 sacks on the year, and we would be singing his praises. I tried to pay close attention to him, and I felt he got better and better playing standing up and learning a new position. His coverage got a lot better at the beginning of the year. I don't think though thats how we should EVER use him. but Im not a coach. Lets not count Werner out yet. Also, while I dont think Walden will not be more than average, I do think it is possible he has not reached his ceiling either. 

Why do we need an OLB?

You can't have a top notch D without a demon on the outside chasing the QB. We have a 30+ guy named Mathis and who else? Our German dude ain't ever gonna be a Mathis.  That's why I hated that pick. Why didn't everyone see that coming? I want a Derrick Thomas type player, quick and relentless. That would make me happy. But drafting someone like we did Werner, who was a reach, and crossing our fingers that he'd somehow run faster....was a big mistake. Now, only go after one if it clear the the guy has the goods no matter what round its in.

I think youre pretty much right. I thought Werner did end up playing a lot of SAM which wasnt intended I dont think. Correct me if I am wrong. Didnt most of his pass rushing come from having his hand in the dirt?

You are correct, he played mostly SamLB last year in our base front.  His pass rush opportunities mostly came in nickel and dime packages when he would have his hand in the dirt.

You can't have a top notch D without a demon on the outside chasing the QB. We have a 30+ guy named Mathis and who else? Our German dude ain't ever gonna be a Mathis.  That's why I hated that pick. Why didn't everyone see that coming? I want a Derrick Thomas type player, quick and relentless. That would make me happy. But drafting someone like we did Werner, who was a reach, and crossing our fingers that he'd somehow run faster....was a big mistake. Now, only go after one if it clear the the guy has the goods no matter what round its in.

Ok, this is a bit of nonsense.  Werner was not a reach.  We have no idea yet what we have in him because he was learning 2 new positions and last year he almost exclusively played the position we didn't want him playing yet.  He didn't get many opportunities to line up at the RushLB spot and just rush the passer.

A lot of people keep saying we had no pass rush outside of Mathis.  Again this is not true.  The DL got more pressure than anyone is giving credit for.  And the reason Mathis got the majority of the sacks is because he was the primary one lining up at RushLB.  The defense is designed basically to get the best match up for the RushLB to be able to get to the QB.  Look at Baltimore...after Suggs and Dumerville, the rest of the team's sack numbers look just like the Colts...several guys with anywhere between 1-5 sacks but no one else coming close to double digit sacks.  The number of sacks Suggs and Dumerville combined for is about the same number Mathis had.  

Now yes, those sacks were split between Suggs and Dumerville, but these are both experienced, veteran NFL pass rushers.  I'm not going to go into snap counts for each guys and in what formations they were in, but Baltimore could have subbed Suggs and Dumerville at RushLB a lot more than Indy subbed out Mathis.  Dumerville probably subbed in more at SamLB for Courtney Upshaw than Werner did for Walden.  They could have played a lot more Nickel and Dime packages, putting both Suggs and Dumerville on the field at the same time in all out pass rush mode, than the Colts did with Werner and Mathis.  In other words, I'm more than willing to bet that Dumerville got far more pass rush opportunities than Werner did. 

You can't have a top notch D without a demon on the outside chasing the QB. We have a 30+ guy named Mathis and who else? Our German dude ain't ever gonna be a Mathis. That's why I hated that pick. Why didn't everyone see that coming? I want a Derrick Thomas type player, quick and relentless. That would make me happy. But drafting someone like we did Werner, who was a reach, and crossing our fingers that he'd somehow run faster....was a big mistake. Now, only go after one if it clear the the guy has the goods no matter what round its in.

Exactly right. Our pass rush was below average without blitzing.

Ok, this is a bit of nonsense.  Werner was not a reach.  We have no idea yet what we have in him because he was learning 2 new positions and last year he almost exclusively played the position we didn't want him playing yet.  He didn't get many opportunities to line up at the RushLB spot and just rush the passer.

A lot of people keep saying we had no pass rush outside of Mathis.  Again this is not true.  The DL got more pressure than anyone is giving credit for.  And the reason Mathis got the majority of the sacks is because he was the primary one lining up at RushLB.  The defense is designed basically to get the best match up for the RushLB to be able to get to the QB.  Look at Baltimore...after Suggs and Dumerville, the rest of the team's sack numbers look just like the Colts...several guys with anywhere between 1-5 sacks but no one else coming close to double digit sacks.  The number of sacks Suggs and Dumerville combined for is about the same number Mathis had.  

Now yes, those sacks were split between Suggs and Dumerville, but these are both experienced, veteran NFL pass rushers.  I'm not going to go into snap counts for each guys and in what formations they were in, but Baltimore could have subbed Suggs and Dumerville at RushLB a lot more than Indy subbed out Mathis.  Dumerville probably subbed in more at SamLB for Courtney Upshaw than Werner did for Walden.  They could have played a lot more Nickel and Dime packages, putting both Suggs and Dumerville on the field at the same time in all out pass rush mode, than the Colts did with Werner and Mathis.  In other words, I'm more than willing to bet that Dumerville got far more pass rush opportunities than Werner did. 

Gotta laugh, we don`t know what we have in him, if he will ever be a good pass rusher, be above average at anything and it is NONSENSE he was a reach at 26. OK :D

The Colts #1 Need is to draft a Robert Mathis replacement/complement.

lmao that the Clowns here think that guy will do much of anything in year one. Maybe Attaochu some tho in our D. ;)

So Many showed some FB Ignorance having NO CLUE after watching JH outplay the $14M $$$ man, when finally given a chance, and still hating him out of town.

LAST SEASON: Colts Homer fans NFL DPoTY Mathis

Mathis 63 Sacks, Hits, & Hurries in 860 plays

The Bum 25yr old JH        59 SHH in 620 plays :thmup:

Werner dropped in the draft i think because it was recognized he isn`t the athlete to be a big time rusher. JMO of course.

So we did use him exactly how he projects in the future. Again, JMO.

He IS very much a PKruger type, he will be versatile, and needing to complement a True BT pass rusher. 

Werner progressed ok, and should turn into a solid defender. To me, he was drafted a bit early but that is how it goes.

Anthony Spencer is a career 60 ish tackle, 6 sack guy and was Valuable.

Werner is not going to be a bust like a .... several past and a couple current Colts. 

100% totally agree PR OLB, S, CB and I Hope Griggs is VERY Aggressive going after anyone they Really Want, that is QUALITY over Quantity.

Can someone explain what the restriction thing means.  I'm new and I'm restricted until I make 4 more approved posts. But I couldn't post until just now and it says I can make only one post until about 55 min ago....which sounds weird. Any answers? I feel like my uncle Sven when they told him he'd have to break at least two more ribs before they could treat him because treating only one rib would be an inefficient use of their time.

Can someone explain what the restriction thing means.  I'm new and I'm restricted until I make 4 more approved posts. But I couldn't post until just now and it says I can make only one post until about 55 min ago....which sounds weird. Any answers? I feel like my uncle Sven when they told him he'd have to break at least two more ribs before they could treat him because treating only one rib would be an inefficient use of their time.

First, poor Uncle Sven.  Second, hopefully this will help answer some of your questions about new member posting restrictions. :) http://forums.colts.com/blog/5/entry-701-welcome/  Finally, welcome to the forum :)