Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 04/04

sb41champs

:blueshoe:   The NFL will be "testing" the idea of spotting the PAT @ the 20-yard line during the first two pre-season games in the 2014 season.  That will make the PAT essentially a 37-yarder.  The intention is to make the PAT less "automatic" - and - make the game more exciting.

:blueshoe:   What is YOUR personal opinion on this potential rule change ??

what's the saying about things that aren't broke...

If they really want to make PATs more difficult & if anything is changed, I like the way Rugby conversion kicks are made, move the ball out 20 yards perpendicular to where the scoring player "crossed" the goal line...

That of course would change goal line offense strategy much more as well...

I think the NFL should get rid of extra points all together and give the scoring team 7 points. extra points are basically automatic so why not actually make it...automatic. Plus getting rid of the extra points would save time and prevent stuff like the fail mary game presented where the teams had to come back just to kick the XP which didn't matter towards the outcome of the game.

I agree that more 2 point conversions would make the game more interesting than the current extra point. If 37 yard field goals are made 86% of the time as indicated above, then 2 point conversions with completion rate over 43% would make mathematical sense. Obviously it depends on the game situation and the ability of the offense to make a 2 point conversion or a good defense to stop it.     Rich in Alaska

if you lack leg strength to kick a 37 yard field goal, they should have retired long ago.

That's what I was thinking, you don't just sign kickers to kick your PAT's, you sign them to kick FG.  And I guarantee if they don't have the leg strength to do that then they won't be playing for long.

Vinny is the oldest player in the NFL and he still has the strength to kick 50+ yarders.