Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scout: Mike Evans made Manziel; not other way around....

Symbiotic relationship. Everybody knows that Evans has questions about his ability to consistently create separation from opposing DBs. Manziel running around in the backfield and allowing him to break back to the ball helped Evans just as much as Evan's insane ability to high-point the ball helped JFF.

I think Evans is a solid prospect, but I agree that he and Manziel both made each other look a lot better than they really were. Manziel received the biggest boost though. But Evans has been overrated because people think he's the next Calvin Johnson in the sense that he's going to be a matchup nightmare because of his size.

He's caught on the hype train. I love Mayock but he's one of those guys who starts to salivate after a good QB pro day. You should've seen him after Geno Smith's pro-day, all he could do was talk about how he absolutely ripped the ball. Bridgewater should be number 1, because he's the best QB right now. Bortles is a project and everything with Maziel is based on "if". If he can play smart, IF he can transition, IF he can learn to win from the pocket, IF he doesn't have off the field issues,etc...I don't get how anyone could see him as a legit 1st overall pick.

I mean none of these guys are technically proven yet, but Manziel is the least proven QB of the top 5 QB guys. Only 2 years of starting experience, played in a gimmick spread-shotgun offense, had a WR that he chucked it up to, elite offensive line, etc...

I like Mayock, but I don't put much stock in his (or anyone's) early rankings ... the draft is still far enough off that they have to throw out some rankings they may not truly believe that will allow for changes; so when they role out their real final rankings a day or two before draft a lot of things will be different and will have moved as they "reevaluated" one last time.

He's caught on the hype train. I love Mayock but he's one of those guys who starts to salivate after a good QB pro day. You should've seen him after Geno Smith's pro-day, all he could do was talk about how he absolutely ripped the ball. Bridgewater should be number 1, because he's the best QB right now. Bortles is a project and everything with Maziel is based on "if". If he can play smart, IF he can transition, IF he can learn to win from the pocket, IF he doesn't have off the field issues,etc...I don't get how anyone could see him as a legit 1st overall pick.

I mean none of these guys are technically proven yet, but Manziel is the least proven QB of the top 5 QB guys. Only 2 years of starting experience, played in a gimmick spread-shotgun offense, had a WR that he chucked it up to, elite offensive line, etc...

Sorry....   but even me,  the guy most skeptical about Johnny Manziel,  does not agree with the comment in bold.

Blake Bortles, who I really, really like, is not more proven than Manziel.   And it can't be close.   Not if competition is a measuring stick.    The schedule Bortles faced simply does not compare with what Manziel faced.     It's night vs. day.    I appreicate that Manziel had a much better supporting cast around him,  but still....   the SEC vs. whatever conference Borltes was in...  Not close.

As far as I know, I'm the first guy to say here that none of these guys are franchise QB's.    This class of QB's maybe better than last year's,  but it's not all that great. 

I think one or two will come out as solid NFL quarterbacks,  but I'm not sure any will come out as all that special....

Sorry....   but even me,  the guy most skeptical about Johnny Manziel,  does not agree with the comment in bold.

Blake Bortles, who I really, really like, is not more proven than Manziel.   And it can't be close.   Not if competition is a measuring stick.    The schedule Bortles faced simply does not compare with what Manziel faced.     It's night vs. day.    I appreicate that Manziel had a much better supporting cast around him,  but still....   the SEC vs. whatever conference Borltes was in...  Not close.

As far as I know, I'm the first guy to say here that none of these guys are franchise QB's.    This class of QB's maybe better than last year's,  but it's not all that great. 

I think one or two will come out as solid NFL quarterbacks,  but I'm not sure any will come out as all that special....

No I agree. I don't think any of the "big 3" are going to be great. I think Murray, Mettenberger, McCarron, and Garoppolo will be the best QB's of this draft. So I'm with you on that note.

The thing with Bortles though is that he's arguably in the same boat. The word I hear associated with him the most is "project". I think people are so in love with all his measurable that they're making him into more than what he actually is. BUT, he did play in more of a pro-style offense, he's clean off the field, and QB's with his measurable do at least have a good track record. I don't necessarily see him as a guy who will win you the game though, but he has less questions to answer than Manziel whose whole game is a question mark.

And competition does not matter when you're comparing play-styles and not stats. Besides, people should stop taking the SEC so seriously to the point that they use it as a measuring stick for every other player. Alabama got exposed by Auburn and then again by Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl, so I would take Manziel playing in the SEC with a grain of salt. The SEC being some type of god tier conference is an illusion created by the media. The top 2 teams in the SEC lost their bowl games anyways. A lot of great QB's come from other conferences, like our own Andrew Luck for example.