Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Johnson to Broncos is a possibility

Shane Bond

I think Johnson has potential, but it's starting to go due to Father Time.  He's one of the fastest players in the league and going to an offense with Peyton should help him (it sure helped Moreno).  If they can get him the ball in space, he can use his speed and cause lots of damage.  I don't think he's a workhorse type of back due to his size, but I think he can be effective in tandem with Ball

Not sure about the money but he would be an explosive piece. Monte Ball looked very good late in the year...I think he is going to be a good solid back for a few years. I do like the fact that they are looking to be more balanced...first adding defense and if this is true perhaps giving Peyton more of a running game...he can win MOST games with his arm...but that won't win EVERY game...against some teams you HAVE to be able to run it...you just do ie (Seattle and perhaps NE this year). You can be the greatest qb of all times but if you try to go into the teeth of a defense..you will lose...play smarter..not fancier.

Edit...read this article....twitter...ughh...this is a non-story.

It's also a "possibility" that the moon will crash into the earth. I don't even see a rumor here.

Don't want him on the Broncos regardless. Never liked him when he was a superstar, and that's long gone anyway. If they decide that they need a "name" back, I suspect that Moreno could be brought back for a lot less money - and we already know that his attitude, effort and effectiveness are perfectly suited to that offense.

Overpaid primadonas can apply elsewhere.

Not sure about the money but he would be an explosive piece. Monte Ball looked very good late in the year...I think he is going to be a good solid back for a few years. I do like the fact that they are looking to be more balanced...first adding defense and if this is true perhaps giving Peyton more of a running game...he can win MOST games with his arm...but that won't win EVERY game...against some teams you HAVE to be able to run it...you just do ie (Seattle and perhaps NE this year). You can be the greatest qb of all times but if you try to go into the teeth of a defense..you will lose...play smarter..not fancier.

Edit...read this article....twitter...ughh...this is a non-story.

Here is a 3rd link. I said it's a possibility.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335361/article/chris-johnsons-potential-landing-spots

Johnson is getting up there in years now almost 30 & when he got his big contract in Tennessee his running/yards per carry just plummeted. Like MAC said, hopefully Denver can get Moreno back. 

Can the Broncos bring in MJD from Jacksonville for a look? I realize that theirs a lot of mileage on those tires, but I love "Mighty Mouse's" work ethic & low center of gravity. He's like a bowling ball. You can't grab onto him because he's so small & he's all biceps. LOL!

I'm not advocating signing him on the spot just taking him for a Mile High Stadium test drive that's all. 

I think Johnson has potential, but it's starting to go due to Father Time.  He's one of the fastest players in the league and going to an offense with Peyton should help him (it sure helped Moreno).  If they can get him the ball in space, he can use his speed and cause lots of damage.  I don't think he's a workhorse type of back due to his size, but I think he can be effective in tandem with Ball

Intriguing sentiment there 21isSuperman. I was tough on RB Ball at the beginning of the 2013 season, but he proved me wrong & finished very strong. I must give my fellow WI Badger some props. 

Johnson & Ball. Let me ponder that for a minute...Insert elevator music...Please hold your call is important to us...LOL! After further consideration, I want either Moreno & Ball or "Mighty Mouse" & Ball. JMO. 

The 1 downside to a Ball/MJB RB lineup is this: I gotta rest MJD & keep his legs fresh & I don't know if Ball can be trusted as the primary workhorse back yet. Hmmm...If you backed me into a corner, I really want Moreno back bad & Ball as my secondary back honestly. 

Intriguing sentiment there 21isSuperman. I was tough on RB Ball at the beginning of the 2013 season, but he proved me wrong & finished very strong. I must give my fellow WI Badger some props. 

Johnson & Ball. Let me ponder that for a minute...Insert elevator music...Please hold your call is important to us...LOL! After further consideration, I want either Moreno & Ball or "Mighty Mouse" & Ball. JMO. 

The 1 downside to a Ball/MJB RB lineup is this: I gotta rest MJD & keep his legs fresh & I don't know if Ball can be trusted as the primary workhorse back yet. Hmmm...If you backed me into a corner, I really want Moreno back bad & Ball as my secondary back honestly. 

I think the RBs from that draft class (Ball, Bell, and Bernard) can all be effective as part of a rotation.  I might even give them the ball as the primary back (say 60-40 or 65-35 split), but I don't see any of them as the workhorse back.

It's also a "possibility" that the moon will crash into the earth. I don't even see a rumor here.

Don't want him on the Broncos regardless. Never liked him when he was a superstar, and that's long gone anyway. If they decide that they need a "name" back, I suspect that Moreno could be brought back for a lot less money - and we already know that his attitude, effort and effectiveness are perfectly suited to that offense.

He demands a lot of carries and that's not Denver's offense/..

..He also demands a lot of money and I think Denver spent most of what they had to spend...

......I agree...if Denver signs a free agent RB..it most likely will be the guy who's most familar with their offense

I agree, im not sure why they would get rid of Moreno who was proven and consistent all year long in their system just to turn around and spend more money on an aging old vet like Chris Johnson who has not proven himself in their system yet and has really seen his production decline over the years.

I'd be more scared of the Broncos with Moreno back in their offense on a lesser deal than Chris Johnson coming in on a 1-2 year deal.  

We'll see how each team is looking when September roles around after training camp and preseason have taken their toll and see how the final rosters stack up.  Broncos are good on paper, but there is also the super bowl hangover and Manning's arm isn't getting any stronger.  Its going to be interesting to see how things play out this year in the AFC.

I agree, im not sure why they would get rid of Moreno who was proven and consistent all year long in their system just to turn around and spend more money on an aging old vet like Chris Johnson who has not proven himself in their system yet and has really seen his production decline over the years.

I'd be more scared of the Broncos with Moreno back in their offense on a lesser deal than Chris Johnson coming in on a 1-2 year deal.  

We'll see how each team is looking when September roles around after training camp and preseason have taken their toll and see how the final rosters stack up.  Broncos are good on paper, but there is also the super bowl hangover and Manning's arm isn't getting any stronger.  Its going to be interesting to see how things play out this year in the AFC.

Funny you say that...

Super Bowl hangover is a talk show myth..

..and Manning's arm, in this case,  may be getting stronger..

..but you are right.......CJ wont play for what the Broncos can pay

Funny you say that...

Super Bowl hangover is a talk show myth..

..and Manning's arm, in this case,  may be getting stronger..

..but you are right.......CJ wont play for what the Broncos can pay

Super Bowl hangover is definitely not a talk show myth.. there is statistics to back it up.. Super Bowl teams play 4-5 weeks longer than other teams that didnt make the playoffs or were eliminated early.  That can take a toll on you physically and mentally with a loss.

Manning has never had amazing arm strength and its been well known just with the eye test alone that he doesn't have a lot of zip on the ball anymore.  QBs arms don't get stronger at 38 and 39 years old, their body breaks down more and more over the years.  Its called getting old, something that Manning, Brady and a few other QBs in the league are not immune to.  

Suggesting that Manning's arm strength will be even better this year is an incredible stretch of the imagination, seeings how it goes against what has been witnessed and documented over the last couple years since his surgery.  You simply don't have neck surgery in your late 30s and get stronger for it... it just doesnt happen.. QBs that havent had any serious injuries before see their arm strength deteriorate in their late 30s, and Manning is no exception.

Super Bowl hangover is definitely not a talk show myth.. there is statistics to back it up.. Super Bowl teams play 4-5 weeks longer than other teams that didnt make the playoffs or were eliminated early.  That can take a toll on you physically and mentally with a loss.

Manning has never had amazing arm strength and its been well known just with the eye test alone that he doesn't have a lot of zip on the ball anymore.  QBs arms don't get stronger at 38 and 39 years old, their body breaks down more and more over the years.  Its called getting old, something that Manning, Brady and a few other QBs in the league are not immune to.  

Suggesting that Manning's arm strength will be even better this year is an incredible stretch of the imagination, seeings how it goes against what has been witnessed and documented over the last couple years since his surgery.  You simply don't have neck surgery in your late 30s and get stronger for it... it just doesnt happen.. QBs that havent had any serious injuries before see their arm strength deteriorate in their late 30s, and Manning is no exception.

But again we are talking about Manning.

How many QBs broke the TD record after 4 neck surgeries at age 37?.

Exception to the rule baby.

:clap:  :disco:

Father time is undefeated.

Manning had a fantastic season last year but he won't  come even remotely close to matching it this coming season. It would be unfair to expect it.

Manning had a fantastic season last year but he won't  come even remotely close to matching it this coming season. It would be unfair to expect it.

I agree.  Not only do I not expect it, but it would be the first time any QB had a career year that also led the league that year, and followed up with anything remotely close the following year.  Brady was injured after his big year, so toss that out.  But look at Manning's previous record breaking year.  Look at Marino, Montana... Look at any historically great QB.

I had this argument with someone years ago after Favre's big year with the Vikings.  I liked Favre, but no way was he going to do anything close to that again the next year.  I can't claim it is impossible (how would I possibly know), but there is a striking pattern that whenever QBs put up monster years, their next is at or below their career average... and to this point, it is unbroken.

oh, but I am bookmarking this post,  just in case   ;)

I think if any QB can continue to shatter expectations it is Manning. He simply works so hard at his body. I have to think the neck surgeries and age will get him eventually but I don't see it this year. I think if anything he may have down a year because the Broncos schedule is so tough.

I think if any QB can continue to shatter expectations it is Manning. He simply works so hard at his body. I have to think the neck surgeries and age will get him eventually but I don't see it this year. I think if anything he may have down a year because the Broncos schedule is so tough.

Another Fantabulous, AMF.

Manning had a fantastic season last year but he won't come even remotely close to matching it this coming season. It would be unfair to expect it.

I would have to agree. The odds he comes out... and is able to top those numbers from last year would be astronomical. I see the Broncos going to a more balance offense with more runs thrown in now that Decker is gone. This will be more so if Chris Johnson comes aboard with what they already have.We shall see how this team looks defensively too. They were not good at all last year... and that will impact things too. Peyton won't have to put up those numbers to give them a chance to win.

You may have missed Manning's neck surgery after which it was said repeatedly it may take 2 or 3 years for him to regain full arm strength...

He said often that he was stronger in 2013 than he was in 2012....

It DID happen..just last year

Practicing and playing a month longer than other teams actually should help you for the year to come,. That's true in HS and college

There is no such thing as Super Bowl hangover' that's a talk show myth

SF and Baltimore had no hangover in 2013..Baltimore changed the roster and SF was just as good

Manning wont throw for 4,500 yards and 45 TDs.? Really? 

If he's healthy....that's what he does....you can expect that

I would have to agree. The odds he comes out... and is able to top those numbers from last year would be astronomical. I see the Broncos going to a more balance offense with more runs thrown in now that Decker is gone. This will be more so if Chris Johnson comes aboard with what they already have.We shall see how this team looks defensively too. They were not good at all last year... and that will impact things too. Peyton won't have to put up those numbers to give them a chance to win.

Denver isn't going to a more balanced offense...

They'll do what they did last year...There's no reason to change

Denver isn't going to a more balanced offense...

They'll do what they did last year...There's no reason to change

Personnel on the field will dictate change. I don't think they will be remotely the same the same team, but more well rounded. The off season has been very good for the Broncos.

No way, G..

They aren't going to change anything on offense.....why would they?

.....Peyton Manning will dictate what they do and one WR change and one HB change won change anything...

....They'll run what Manning has always run for over a decade..it would be insane to do otherwise

No way, G..

.....Peyton Manning will dictate what they do and one WR change and one HB change won change anything...

....They'll run what Manning has always run for over a decade..it would be insane to do otherwise

They'll change because defenses will dictate it. Way tougher season on the way.

No way, G..

I think the Indy offense has proven to be a failure in the post-season when it faces tough personnel up front and at the DB position. Though I agree that he is not changing now at age 38.

I think the Indy offense has proven to be a failure in the post-season when it faces tough personnel up front and at the DB position. Though I agree that he is not changing now at age 38.

I don't think the 'Indy offense' has proven to be a failure...in the post-season.. unless .reaching 3 Super Bowls is a failure

..The game isn't any different in late season division showdowns than it is in the post-season....teams don't suddenly try harder in the playoffs than they do when a playoff berth is at stake...I don't believe

We tend to look at results in hindsight and manufacture theories......The Colts for 12 years  and Broncos the last 2 aren't the same offense..not the same people

I wasn't aware that last season wasn't any different that the previous 13.

It wasn't and next year worn be either....even if they get Chris Johnson..Which isn't as insane as I thought it was a week ago.

Either way, we both know Denver's 2014 offense will look very much like its 2013 offense and will perform as well or better

I don't think the 'Indy offense' has proven to be a failure...in the post-season.. unless .reaching 3 Super Bowls is a failure

..The game isn't any different in late season division showdowns than it is in the post-season....teams don't suddenly try harder in the playoffs than they do when a playoff berth is at stake...I don't believe

We tend to look at results in hindsight and manufacture theories......The Colts for 12 years  and Broncos the last 2 aren't the same offense..not the same people

I guess it depends how you define success. Most one and done's and most post-season losses all time would not rank it as success. And of course within those losses the Indy offense scored an average of 16 points which was a big drop off in most cases from its average during the regular season.