Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you guys think of Kelcy Quarles as a 5-technique?

At 6'4", 297 lbs, he played in the SEC for South Carolina. He has a lot of upside and athleticism.

He can play undertackle in a 4-3 and has the skillset and long arms to play 5-technique as a 3-4 DE. I feel he should fit our hybrid style real well.

What do you folks think of him for our round 2 pick at No.59?

I have mentioned him several times.  I really like him, and he 'saved' the Gamecocks when Clowney was doubled and tripled...or taking a break.  

I would rather see if he is there in round 3, but if he is the BPA on the Big Board I will not be upset in round two.

I am feeling WR...still at 2...

Quarles has no quit in him....and can get to the QB.   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

I'm thinking of Corey Liguet of Illinois. Most folks pigeon holed him as a 3-tech for a 4-3 originally but he has blossomed in the 3-4 that the Chargers play just as well.

I read this National Football Post article about Quarles and felt good about his athletic abilities:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Kelcy-Quarles-and-Ego-Ferguson.html

Quarles is a 3 tech DE in a 3-4 from what I have seen of him, Also can play the 4 tech and 1 tech, Dont particularly like him at the 5 tech, Wouldn't mind him at all in a trade down into the 3rd round

CBS Sports

COMPARES TO: Lamarr Houston: Quick, strong and tenacious, Quarles projects equally well inside as a 4-3 defensive tackle or outside as a five-technique defensive end.  

As info.

I think his experience is as a 4-3 DT...   the 3-tech...

Do I think he can play the 5-tech in a 3-4?     Yes.   But I'm not aware that he's done it, so I'm projecting and that has its own risks...

I think he had a very good combine.   So, I think the chances that he lasts to our spot in the 3rd round are very, very small.

If we want him,  I think we have to take him in the 2nd.

Basically what everyone else has said.  Played more 3 tech, but has the frame to play a 5 tech well at the next level.  Is he worth a second to the Colts?  I'm not sure.  I think if we were considering a DT in the 2nd, we'd draft someone else in at a bigger need and see if someone like Daquan falls to us, which is entirely possible.  But I wouldn't complain too much if we chose Quarles in the 2nd.  Solid player.

I'm not sure if we can stand another project with our 1st pick in the draft.  I do not understand why, when DeAndre Coleman could be drafted in the 5th.  Coleman play in a 3-4 as NT, 3 Tech, 5 Tech, and 7 Tech.  Coleman is 6'5"" and 315 lbs.

I'm not sure if we can stand another project with our 1st pick in the draft.  I do not understand why, when DeAndre Coleman could be drafted in the 5th.  Coleman play in a 3-4 as NT, 3 Tech, 5 Tech, and 7 Tech.  Coleman is 6'5"" and 315 lbs.

Coleman, Tuitt, and Hageman are all really versatile D-Lineman. I like Coleman because he can essentially play most positions. He can play3-4 End, 3-4 NT(Don't love him here though),etc...Hageman is a match in any system, though and great if you run hybrid fronts like the Colts do. Tuitt is extremely versatile with even more talent than the other 2.

I'd have to see Quarles' tape, but I'd take any of those 3 guys over him.

Coleman, Tuitt, and Hageman are all really versatile D-Lineman. I like Coleman because he can essentially play most positions. He can play3-4 End, 3-4 NT(Don't love him here though),etc...Hageman is a match in any system, though and great if you run hybrid fronts like the Colts do. Tuitt is extremely versatile with even more talent than the other 2.

I'd have to see Quarles' tape, but I'd take any of those 3 guys over him.

I don't think Tuitt will make to our pick in the 2nd.  I will have to check on Hageman.  I have seen quite a bit of Coleman and liked what I saw.