Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tenders to Reitz and Gordy, Exclusive Tender to Cam Joshson.

Tyler Shaw

Could someone smarter than myself explain what that "exclusive tender" means?

It's basically a really low level franchise tag. He'll get paid $495k if he signs, if not, he can sit out the year and we can slap the same tag on him next year. 

An exclusive rights free agent is a player who has three or fewer tenured years in the league and is not permitted to negotiate with other NFL clubs. His original team must make a contract offer by the league-imposed deadline or he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

I believe

Could someone smarter than myself explain what that "exclusive tender" means?

On topic, these moves make perfect sense. We still had rights on Reitz, and he's good depth when healthy. Gordy played pretty well when he finally got a chance last year. He was better than Vaughn, and I thought he was better than Butler on the outside. Johnson, if nothing else, was solid on special teams, and is basically getting a UDFA salary. He might be good depth at OLB, also. 

@HolderStephen: Josh Gordy gets $1.431 guaranteed once he signs that RFA tender. Still uncertain about Reitz's tender level.

@HolderStephen: Couple other items, not surprising: exclusive rights tender to Cam Johnson, RFA tenders to Josh Gordy, Joe Reitz.

@CraigKColts: .@Colts have released Samson Satele, made contract tenders to Cam Johnson, Joe Reitz and Josh Gordy. Satele was 24-game starter 2012-13.

It's basically a really low level franchise tag. He'll get paid $495k if he signs, if not, he can sit out the year and we can slap the same tag on him next year. 

Exclusive Free agent tenders are actually kind of crappy to the players.  Basically they have to take whatever their team offers them which is usually NFL min.

This could apply to Da'Rick Rodgers after this year.  Say Rodgers goes for 2,000 yards this year and looks like the next Calvin Johnson.  (not likely but for the sake of argument assume that.)  So he's a EFA after this next season.  So that means that despite the fact that he just went for Calvin Johnson type of stats, he still has to play for NFL min the next year.

The year after that he gets a raise but only in the form of a first round RFA tender.  

Now the reality is that most EFA players are players who have gotten cut from another team during their rookie contract.  So most arn't that good.

Exclusive Free agent tenders are actually kind of crappy to the players. Basically they have to take whatever their team offers them which is usually NFL min.

This could apply to Da'Rick Rodgers after this year. Say Rodgers goes for 2,000 yards this year and looks like the next Calvin Johnson. (not likely but for the sake of argument assume that.) So he's a EFA after this next season. So that means that despite the fact that he just went for Calvin Johnson type of stats, he still has to play for NFL min the next year.

The year after that he gets a raise but only in the form of a first round RFA tender.

Now the reality is that most EFA players are players who have gotten cut from another team during their rookie contract. So most arn't that good.

Players who really perform well get a little bonus, but yeah it's a tough deal. Restricted free agency in general, even for franchise tagged players.

Players who really perform well get a little bonus, but yeah it's a tough deal. Restricted free agency in general, even for franchise tagged players.

I get what you are saying but at least Franchised tag players get top dollar for their position.  

RFA players if they get a first round tender get I believe almost 2 million dollars.  Not a ton but way better then the NFL min.

But EFA is just a rough deal for a player.  I was thinking this because after looking at Da'Rick's contract I thought that no matter how he plays we have him on the cheap for 3 more years.  (Counting this upcoming season)  

But that having been said pretty much everyone has to play on the cheap for their first 4 years.  Of course it helps if you where drafted.  Most of the drafted players get some 6 figure signing bonuses and the first rounders get 7 figure signing bonuses.  

I get what you are saying but at least Franchised tag players get top dollar for their position.  

RFA players if they get a first round tender get I believe almost 2 million dollars.  Not a ton but way better then the NFL min.

But EFA is just a rough deal for a player.  I was thinking this because after looking at Da'Rick's contract I thought that no matter how he plays we have him on the cheap for 3 more years.  (Counting this upcoming season)  

But that having been said pretty much everyone has to play on the cheap for their first 4 years.  Of course it helps if you where drafted.  Most of the drafted players get some 6 figure signing bonuses and the first rounders get 7 figure signing bonuses.  

Meh; he's a late round draft pick. He's getting slightly less than Lavon Brazill is getting, and if he gets an RFA tender next year, then he'll be getting about twice as much as Brazill, and they'll both be in Year 4. Basically, no one gets full free agency rights prior to having four years of service. So it's not even really about his ERFA status, it's mostly about where he was drafted and how long he's been in the league.

For players who actually outperform their status, yeah it sucks. But Cam Johnson is probably getting paid according to what he brings to the table, which isn't a whole lot so far.

Meh; he's a late round draft pick. He's getting slightly less than Lavon Brazill is getting, and if he gets an RFA tender next year, then he'll be getting about twice as much as Brazill, and they'll both be in Year 4. Basically, no one gets full free agency rights prior to having four years of service. So it's not even really about his ERFA status, it's mostly about where he was drafted and how long he's been in the league.

For players who actually outperform their status, yeah it sucks. But Cam Johnson is probably getting paid according to what he brings to the table, which isn't a whole lot so far.

Actually Da'Rick was a UDFA and he's only going into year 2 this year.  So he has an EFA season after this season, then he's an RFA.  Which means if he lives up to the potential we all are hoping he has then we have him on the cheap for 3 more seasons including this one.