Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Michael Bennett?

It looks like Michael Bennett might be hitting FA is a few days. 

Bennett is the 4th highest rated edge rusher in FA this year. He's extremely versatile, lining up at 43 DE, 43 DT, 34 OLB, 34 DE, and 34 NT at times this season, and has been effective at virtually every position.

During the regualr season he pass rushed 434 times and notched 11 sacks, 17 hits, and 47 hurries. His pass rush productivity was only surpassed by Robert Quinn and Cameron Wake. 

He turned 28 year old in November.

How much 3-4 did Seattle play?    And does Seattle know this?

I don't recall anyone ever talking about Seattle playing any 3-4.

A year ago, the mention of his name was answered with he's a 4-3 DE and not a scheme fit.

A year later,   you're saying the analytics you've seen suggest otherwise.     Color me surprised!

How much 3-4 did Seattle play?    And does Seattle know this?

I don't recall anyone ever talking about Seattle playing any 3-4.

A year ago, the mention of his name was answered with he's a 4-3 DE and not a scheme fit.

A year later,   you're saying the analytics you've seen suggest otherwise.     Color me surprised!

Here's a graphic from early in the season:

BWDg3MaCAAIJBj1.png

I would love for us to play more hybrid fronts like Seattle, and Bennett is perfect for a hybrid front system. But I don't know that we're going to do that. We got rid of guys who could excel in a hybrid front system last year (Drake Nevis, for instance), and went with more conventional 2-gap players.

But overall, I don't think we should spend the kind of money that Bennett is likely to get. I see him as a better version of Raheem Brock, and I think he'll get $7-8m/year. Too much.

I would love for us to play more hybrid fronts like Seattle, and Bennett is perfect for a hybrid front system. But I don't know that we're going to do that. We got rid of guys who could excel in a hybrid front system last year (Drake Nevis, for instance), and went with more conventional 2-gap players.

But overall, I don't think we should spend the kind of money that Bennett is likely to get. I see him as a better version of Raheem Brock, and I think he'll get $7-8m/year. Too much.

See thats the part I dont get, I dont exactly get what direction Coach Pagano and staff want to take the defense even though I have maintained since day 1 that Pagano and Manusky wanted a hybrid front, But then they get rid of Nevis but keep Redding, Get rid of Hughes yet bring in a true 43 LDE in Werner (While getting rid of another 43 DE in Freeney to).

See thats the part I dont get, I dont exactly get what direction Coach Pagano and staff want to take the defense even though I have maintained since day 1 that Pagano and Manusky wanted a hybrid front, But then they get rid of Nevis but keep Redding, Get rid of Hughes yet bring in a true 43 LDE in Werner (While getting rid of another 43 DE in Freeney to).

Hybrid in the sense of playing a Rush backer in both a 2-point and a 3-point stance, yes. Not so much hybrid in the sense of using a heavy mix of 1-gap and 2-gap principles, Over/Under shifts, etc., which is what Seattle does. The whole 4-3 / 3-4 designation is really not important. Seattle mostly uses four down linemen, but they are the very essence of a hybrid front.

They let Freeney walk because it was time to do so. Probably should have done so a year earlier. They drafted Werner to play Rush backer. I'm not sure why they cut Nevis or traded Hughes, but both are signals that they primarily want to 2-gap. I don't know, but I think it would be awesome if we employed hybrid, wildcard linemen like Bennett.

It looks like Michael Bennett might be hitting FA is a few days. 

Bennett is the 4th highest rated edge rusher in FA this year. He's extremely versatile, lining up at 43 DE, 43 DT, 34 OLB, 34 DE, and 34 NT at times this season, and has been effective at virtually every position.

During the regualr season he pass rushed 434 times and notched 11 sacks, 17 hits, and 47 hurries. His pass rush productivity was only surpassed by Robert Quinn and Cameron Wake. 

He turned 28 year old in November.

He's a perfect fit. Are his contract demands? ;)

Based on Miami overpaying for Brent Grimes, I have a feeling that the Vontae Davis contract may prevent us from adding another high quality free agent.

Michael Bennett and Jason Worilds will both likely receive fairly rich contracts.

Vontae isn't going to make 25m a year. And Miami didn't really overpay for Grimes...pretty fair contract given his play last season.