Top Posters In This Topic

That's possible?!

You mean this whole time we could've had an offensive line of 

Castonzo

Reitz/Thornton

Thomas

Reitz/Thorton/Linkenbach

Cherilus

You know Satele was the reason Thomas was hurt.He stepped on  his foot or something like that. All of that could've been avoided.

Why are we not paying the Original Poster money to make these great decisions???!!!!! :Gaah:

With no McGlynn, Thomas will very likely be the backup C if Holmes wins the job.
To me he looked just decent at guard and might make us a better Center. Hard to tell of course with the short body of work.
I have a very hard time seeing Grigs going Early for A Rookie O-Lineman. Especially with our multiple needs on D.

With no McGlynn, Thomas will very likely be the backup C if Holmes wins the job.

To me he looked just decent at guard and might make us a better Center. Hard to tell of course with the short body of work.

I have a very hard time seeing Grigs going Early for A Rookie O-Lineman. Especially with our multiple needs on D.

I may be in the minority here with this statement but I'm hoping not a single draft pick is spent on offense. I'm hoping FA is offense & the draft is ALL defense 

I may be in the minority here with this statement but I'm hoping not a single draft pick is spent on offense. I'm hoping FA is offense & the draft is ALL defense 

If the Oline can be fixed through FA and the draft was strictly D id be all for it.  I don't think there is any glaring need on offense besides Oline but the D is another story.

Yeah I disagree. Outside of center, the offense is in good shape. Need depth at WR and OL, but those are better to add through the draft. We need a starting FS, ILB and maybe CB. Not sure we should project three rookies to start next year, especially with none of them being first round picks.

Give me some balance. Let's add players however we can, on both sides of the ball, so long as it fits the short and long term needs of the team.

If the Oline can be fixed through FA and the draft was strictly D id be all for it.  I don't think there is any glaring need on offense besides Oline but the D is another story.

Exactly. People are sleeping on our offense. May not have a Adrian Peterson or Megatron but I honestly believe if we get a solid offensive line, our offense could be a top 10 offense imo

Defense needs more work than offense does. But like the saying goes "Everything starts up front". We have to get bigger, faster. & stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball

That would be a great option.  Hopefully, Holmes is good enough to win the job, and have Thomas the backup.

Personally, other than signing a reasonable vet G if the above scenario works out, I would like to see all defense both in FA and the draft.  Our offensive playmakers are young and will get better.  No need to add vets to that crop, IMO. 

Not scoring enough points wasn't really the problem last year.  Even if an offense goes three-and-out the first two series of a game, that doesn't mean the team has to be down 10-0 or 14-0 after that. 

Yeah I disagree. Outside of center, the offense is in good shape. Need depth at WR and OL, but those are better to add through the draft. We need a starting FS, ILB and maybe CB. Not sure we should project three rookies to start next year, especially with none of them being first round picks.

Give me some balance. Let's add players however we can, on both sides of the ball, so long as it fits the short and long term needs of the team.

Why do we need depth at WR? Pep barely runs 4 WR sets. And with Allen coming back, I doubt we run many WR sets. I could be wrong but I believe the offense will revolve around Allen & Fleener. Okay maybe not revolve, but heavily involve them. Like how the Pats did with Gronk & Hernandez. If you got a 2 headed TE monster, why not use it?

Reggie Wayne

Ty Hilton

Griff Whalen

Da'Rick Rogers

LaVon Brazill

I think we're fine with that. I mean we could grab a UDFA WR after the draft like we did with Whalen. Or Grigson may find one from the CFL or AFL

You do realize Thomas got hurt early in week two?      And to you, he looked "just decent" at guard....

Really?     

And please don't tell me you're also factoring in pre-season.    That will just make it worse for you.......

Would it be ok to sign Byrd Asamoah and EDS and draft Keith McGill and an ILB?

I don't think that FA is realistic, but it would definitely improve our roster. And I like McGill, and there are a number of ILBs I like.

Right.

And it's definitely possible to sign those guys, but we have to wait and see how much cap we use on our own free agents first. Besides Davis, I believe everyone is a wild card to stay or go.

I honestly do not think we need to fix the line. castanzo thomas holmes thornton cherlius will be the starters. I cant believe we would hold out holmes an entire year just to watch him sit on the bench again. resign link and reitz for depth and with nixon and we have a good depth at the o-line

I honestly do not think we need to fix the line. castanzo thomas holmes thornton cherlius will be the starters. I cant believe we would hold out holmes an entire year just to watch him sit on the bench again. resign link and reitz for depth and with nixon and we have a good depth at the o-line

why does everyone act like Holmes was a first round pick? He was taken in the 4th round. Those guys are career backups more oft than not. 

why does everyone act like Holmes was a first round pick? He was taken in the 4th round. Those guys are career backups more oft than not. 

Yes this.  We need a center (ALEX MACK!) and another guard.  Possibly a left tackle.  Costanzo seems to play just well enough not to make me hate him.

The oline is far from fixed.

your point being what? there are a lot of busts in the first round and great late round picks. you cant judge a player by where they were drafted.

I don't think Thomas would be able to beat out Mack at center, so we should probably leave him at guard. 

Mack will cost a ton of cap space and with Luck, Fleener, Allen, TY, etc up for contracts soon it may not be the best idea to sign him. Moving Thomas to center and getting a guard in FA or the draft would improve the line and save more money.

your point being what? there are a lot of busts in the first round and great late round picks. you cant judge a player by where they were drafted.

But you don't draft a guy in the 4th round with the expectation that he's going to start in his first year, and you certainly don't neglect to add better players just because you drafted him. Might be different if he had worked his way into the lineup last year, but he rode the pine. I think the point is just that we don't necessarily have our future center on the roster already. 

Is it possible or would it cost too much

Both. It's possible, but the future cap hits would limit our flexibility. And the guaranteed money and signing bonuses would be staggering. We spent $140m total on 8 guys last year. You'd be at about $120m for just the three guys you listed.

Mack will cost a ton of cap space and with Luck, Fleener, Allen, TY, etc up for contracts soon it may not be the best idea to sign him. Moving Thomas to center and getting a guard in FA or the draft would improve the line and save more money.

I'm perfectly comfortable devoting the cap space required for Alex Mack.  I'm tired of sub-par offensive line play.  I'm specifically tired of sub-par interior offensive line play (Linkenbach...I'm looking right at you buddy).  Satele is not the answer (nor was he ever intended to be)  I don't believe Holmes is either.  With Mack, we can basically just check off the center position off our list and move on.  We can now run the ball effectively and Andrew Luck might actually get decent pass protection.

I'm perfectly comfortable devoting the cap space required for Alex Mack.  I'm tired of sub-par offensive line play.  I'm specifically tired of sub-par interior offensive line play (Linkenbach...I'm looking right at you buddy).  Satele is not the answer (nor was he ever intended to be)  I don't believe Holmes is either.  With Mack, we can basically just check off the center position off our list and move on.  We can now run the ball effectively and Andrew Luck might actually get decent pass protection.

I agree that Mack would vastly improve the line, but a large contract like he will get could impact keeping someone like TY

I agree that Mack would vastly improve the line, but a large contract like he will get could impact keeping someone like TY

I think more likely it would cost us Anthony Castonzo, by virtue of not wanting to pay $30m+ a year for the OL. And AC is up before Hilton, unless we use our 5th year option on him.

Not necessarily. By the time 2016 rolls around Mathis, Wayne, and Toler will have their contracts off the books and guy like Cherilus, Landry, and Walden could be cut to free up cap space.

But you don't draft a guy in the 4th round with the expectation that he's going to start in his first year, and you certainly don't neglect to add better players just because you drafted him. Might be different if he had worked his way into the lineup last year, but he rode the pine. I think the point is just that we don't necessarily have our future center on the roster already. 

we wont know that until he actually gets playing time. I dont feel comfortable throwing so much money at a center when we can spend it getting help for mathis or getting a playmaker like byrd

Nah, TY ain't going anywhere.  And if he does, it won't be because of Alex Mack.

Normally, I'm not into demanding we go out and sign the big name FAs.  I get the pitfalls of doing that.  In this case though, this is an issue that has festered for way too long and it's time to fix it.  We're basically an offensive linemen or two from having an offense that is more or less "complete."

we wont know that until he actually gets playing time. I dont feel comfortable throwing so much money at a center when we can spend it getting help for mathis or getting a playmaker like byrd

We can do both. WE. CAN. DO. BOTH.

I don't want us to spend money in FA on either OLB or FS, but if we wanted, we have the cap space to do both of those things AND pay for a top flight center.

What I don't understand is why anyone would place those needs ahead of center. The interior line play is holding our offense back, and the weakest spot is center. Fix that, and you've significantly upgraded the line play, and the offense in general, and now we can really weaponize our skill guys.

As for Holmes, we don't know what we have. I'm only saying -- without speaking for Dustin or anyone else -- that it would be naive to assume that he'll be a starting caliber player in the NFL.