Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft.. Bad news ... good news

dw49

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roto World

An anonymous AFC executive guesses Chiefs OT Eric Fisher wouldn't even be a top-15 pick in the 2014 draft because the class is so strong.

Fisher, of course, went No. 1 overall last April in a class that was considered to be on the weak side. "The whole draft is really strong. Best draft I’ve seen," said new Bucs GM Jason Licht. "It’s probably tilted a little more toward offense, but it’s a strong draft." The 2014 class may not have the surefire quarterback, but it makes up for it with plenty of depth and playmakers.

If we traded our 2015 1st round pick for Stephon Tuitt if he is available in the 20s, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  I think he is going to be a stud a a 3-4 DE and can slide inside if we ever slide into a 4-3.

NO, we need to quit mortgaging future drafts.

If a player is taken 3rd overall or first overall it doesnt guarantee success. Many players have been first, second and 3rd overall busts.

Do you really need a list of players taken in the top 3 of a draft that ended up being a bust ?

If we traded our 2015 1st round pick for Stephon Tuitt if he is available in the 20s, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  I think he is going to be a stud a a 3-4 DE and can slide inside if we ever slide into a 4-3.

Normally next year's first gets you a 2nd round pick in that year's first. So what else would you be willing to give up to get into the 20's ?

Normally next year's first gets you a 2nd round pick in that year's first. So what else would you be willing to give up to get into the 20's ?

A late first round or if he falls into the early 2nd.  I'd have no problem adding a stalwart to our D-Line.

A late first round or if he falls into the early 2nd.  I'd have no problem adding a stalwart to our D-Line.

No.. you are not getting my question. What I'm saying is that trading your 1st round pick in 2015 does not get you into the 20's in the 2014 draft. It gets you probably around pick 2.15. So what would you be willing to add to the deal to get into the 20's this year ? 

Richardson was a guy that once he ran through the hole was going to move the pile 5 yards on his own. He was clocked running a 4.39 forty at his size, so he can really move. His problem is that he doesn't see the hole very well, and if there's penetration he just stops, as if he's waiting for another hole to open up. But then again with the front of our OL it's not surprising that he ran for 1 yard at a time. If we want to get a good investment out of him we need a major upgrade right up the middle.

As for Werner, come on, you gotta be kidding me. The guy played DE his whole life, always with his hand in the dirt. He even said that he's moving a lot slower than he should because he's thinking too much. When he learns the position the way he should he's going to be a very good player for us, because he can move real well and isn't afraid to give someone a wallop..

BTW, who did we get for our 4th rounder this year?

Richardson was a guy that once he ran through the hole was going to move the pile 5 yards on his own. He was clocked running a 4.39 forty at his size, so he can really move. His problem is that he doesn't see the hole very well, and if there's penetration he just stops, as if he's waiting for another hole to open up. But then again with the front of our OL it's not surprising that he ran for 1 yard at a time. If we want to get a good investment out of him we need a major upgrade right up the middle.

As for Werner, come on, you gotta be kidding me. The guy played DE his whole life, always with his hand in the dirt. He even said that he's moving a lot slower than he should because he's thinking too much. When he learns the position the way he should he's going to be a very good player for us, because he can move real well and isn't afraid to give someone a wallop..

BTW, who did we get for our 4th rounder this year?

That would be a valid point concerning Richardson except he played over a year in Cleveland with a good offensive line and still couldnt average 4 ypc. He only had two 100 yard games and 2 runs for more then 20 yards.

Werner is still up in the air. Maybe he will improve this season.

Do you think someone would give a fourth round pick for Richardson or Werner or for both of them together?

YES!!!!!  stop being silly

We would hang up on a GM if he offered us a 3rd round pick for either of them

YES!!!!!  stop being silly

We would hang up on a GM if he offered us a 3rd round pick for either of them

I would take that for either of them in a heart beat and I might consider it for both of them. That is how big a bust I think the two of them are. Two years from now, you would take a seventh rounder for either one of them.

What do you think they are worth?

He is not speaking rationally. He would not cut ties with either of them even when they sink to the point they are worth nothing. But, don't worry, no * general manager if going to offer you anything close to a third round pick if you put them both together.

I would take that for either of them in a heart beat and I might consider it for both of them. That is how big a bust I think the two of them are. Two years from now, you would take a seventh rounder for either one of them.

He is not speaking rationally. He would not cut ties with either of them even when they sink to the point they are worth nothing. But, don't worry, no * general manager if going to offer you anything close to a third round pick if you put them both together.

Werner is a year 2 outside LB that converted to OLB from DE that he played in college.  We knew he would take a year or 2 to become the player we want him to be so why would we trade him after one season played??  He even out performed all other rookie OLBs.

So you know Richardson is a bust after the half a year he had with us??  You seem to be forgetting the double digit TD, just under 1000 yard rookie season he had one year before.  You cannot just dismiss that.  Also.... Do you feel we need to upgrade the Oline or do you feel it was adequate last season?    The correct answer is that it was in the bottom 5 of the entire league and was a huge problem.  

TRich and Werner are both good young prospects and the last thing we need is to get rid of them. You sir, are the one being irrational. 

Werner is a year 2 outside LB that converted to OLB from DE that he played in college.  We knew he would take a year or 2 to become the player we want him to be so why would we trade him after one season played??  He even out performed all other rookie OLBs.

So you know Richardson is a bust after the half a year he had with us??  You seem to be forgetting the double digit TD, just under 1000 yard rookie season he had one year before.  You cannot just dismiss that.  Also.... Do you feel we need to upgrade the Oline or do you feel it was adequate last season?    The correct answer is that it was in the bottom 5 of the entire league and was a huge problem.  

TRich and Werner are both good young prospects and the last thing we need is to get rid of them. You sir, are the one being irrational. 

It doesn't matter what O-line you have in front of Richardson, he won't gain big yardage. Brown gained almost five yards a carry behind that line. Ballard and Bradshaw did well too before injuries. The only back who couldn't get to three yards a carry was Richardson. I have seen enough. Cleveland saw enough too, that is why he was traded away and they are howling in laughter over fleecing Grigson and the Colts. If Werner was the project you describe why in hades was he picked in the first round? You don't draft projects anywhere in the first round. If he was a project, Grigson should be fired. I can assure you that Grigson expected him to be able to play very quickly. He didn't, he can't and he never will be a player. Sometimes you just have to throw up your hands and admit big mistakes and move on (trade their butts if there are any takes but I am sure there are no takers). The Richardson deal was a bold move and I like the guts the GM showed in making it. It is not going to work out and I fear they will force feed him to his when he should be the third back on this team next year.

1000 yards in at really impressive when you get an average of almost 30 carries a game.

I ain't passing judgement on Werner yet since Grigson changed his position and he was a true rookie. I think drafting him in the first and expecting him to learn a new position and play well was asking a bit much and was a mistake on Grigsons part.

It doesn't matter what O-line you have in front of Richardson, he won't gain big yardage. Brown gained almost five yards a carry behind that line. Ballard and Bradshaw did well too before injuries. The only back who couldn't get to three yards a carry was Richardson. I have seen enough. Cleveland saw enough too, that is why he was traded away and they are howling in laughter over fleecing Grigson and the Colts. If Werner was the project you describe why in hades was he picked in the first round? You don't draft projects anywhere in the first round. If he was a project, Grigson should be fired. I can assure you that Grigson expected him to be able to play very quickly. He didn't, he can't and he never will be a player. Sometimes you just have to throw up your hands and admit big mistakes and move on (trade their butts if there are any takes but I am sure there are no takers). The Richardson deal was a bold move and I like the guts the GM showed in making it. It is not going to work out and I fear they will force feed him to his when he should be the third back on this team next year.

we were not going to win the superbowl in 1 or 2 seasons after going 2-12.  We stated it takes a few years and drafted the player we thought would be the best AFTER A FEW SEASONS.  by the time you realize how wrong you are, this thread will have been forgoten.  you really are being ridiculous and are not worth anymore of my time.

we were not going to win the superbowl in 1 or 2 seasons after going 2-12.  We stated it takes a few years and drafted the player we thought would be the best AFTER A FEW SEASONS.  by the time you realize how wrong you are, this thread will have been forgoten.  you really are being ridiculous and are not worth anymore of my time.

Ditto. Your model for building a winner is obsolete. If they Colts had taken the Seattle or 49er approach, they might actually be able to compete for a SB this year or next. But, they won't because by the time they get everything else in place Luck will take $20 million + out of the pool and these players they added will have to be cut and they will be replaced by cheaper, less effective players. I don't like the Colts chances of being SB contenders with he approach they took.

Are you being sarcastic or? We're admitting failure after what, 11 games into someone's pro career? Ok lol whatever

Not in Richardson's case, you have two years of work and he can be replaced by any journeyman RB you can get off of the streets. Werner, if he was drafted to be a project represents a huge blunder by Grigson. You do not spend a first round draft pick on a project. Now if you got him in the third round or later and declared him to be a project, I would be fine with that. Go ahead, watching him for 16 games next year and 16 games in the third year and the next year he will be out of the league. No one would give you any level of draft choice for him.

I am sure that is true but they probably shouldn't. It is time to admit big mistakes and get what you can and march forward. Those two are going to be lead anchors.

they could be mistakes...or they could not.  please stop talking in absolutes about them being a bust.  you feel they were a bust LAST year, we all understand that.  Brown was also a "bust" for 3 years but now he is your example for why Richardson is a "bust".  really he should be your example of why we shouldn't give up on Richardson.

Not in Richardson's case, you have two years of work and he can be replaced by any journeyman RB you can get off of the streets. Werner, if he was drafted to be a project represents a huge blunder by Grigson. You do not spend a first round draft pick on a project. Now if you got him in the third round or later and declared him to be a project, I would be fine with that. Go ahead, watching him for 16 games next year and 16 games in the third year and the next year he will be out of the league. No one would give you any level of draft choice for him.

I will bet you $10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Werner is being paid to play NFL football 5 years from now.

they could be mistakes...or they could not.  please stop talking in absolutes about them being a bust.  you feel they were a bust LAST year, we all understand that.  Brown was also a "bust" for 3 years but now he is your example for why Richardson is a "bust".  really he should be your example of why we shouldn't give up on Richardson.

I never thought that Brown was a running back who couldn't get yards if given carries. He showed that several time. I was more concerned that he couldn't block your Aunt Matilda and he was responsible for many plays breaking up.

i feel like i am feeding a troll.

Then stop doing it and hit your ignore button. I view Werner and Richardson as busts and if I could get a fourth round draft pick for either one I would do it. I package both for a third rounder. When you make a mistake, admit it and move on. Mistakes happen. All drafting and trades are about 50/50 propositions. We lost on both of these. I am not alone in this view. Modern thinks the same thing. You can nurse these guys along for another two years but then they will be out of the league. The fact is neither of them would rate even a seventh round draft pick.

maybe the Colts trade all picks away for 2014 and 2015 to move up to top 5 and take Jadeveon Clowney. I'm joking...........or........am I? Dunnnn dunnnnnnnnn dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I don't usually believe in trading away picks. It usually does not work out. Clowney would be a great pick but he will be that pick for Houston.

Then stop doing it and hit your ignore button. I view Werner and Richardson as busts and if I could get a fourth round draft pick for either one I would do it. I package both for a third rounder. When you make a mistake, admit it and move on. Mistakes happen. All drafting and trades are about 50/50 propositions. We lost on both of these. I am not alone in this view. Modern thinks the same thing. You can nurse these guys along for another two years but then they will be out of the league. The fact is neither of them would rate even a seventh round draft pick.

well good thing you aren't a GM then, because the smart ones don't give up on players after one year

The fact is neither of them would rate even a seventh round draft pick.

you need to learn the definition of the word fact and stop stating your opinion as if it is fact.

You THINK Werner and Richardson are busts but that is FAR FROM FACT