Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Apparently, Mike Lombardi advised Belichick on the drafts of the last 3 years, expected to join Patriots

chad72

Mike Lombardi is expected to join the Patriots:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/14/michael-lombardi-expected-join-patriots/dhL3eniij1YWI6wvNjkZrL/story.html

Here is an article as to how he had input on the 2010-2012 drafts for the Patriots:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/2/13/5409236/lombardi-advised-belichick-in-recent-drafts

Lombardi's strength, according to some articles I've read the last few days, is pro scouting... much more so than scouting for the draft. My guess is that he'd end up in some kind of built-to-fit advisory role, given his background with Belichick. Floyd Reese held a similar position with the Patriots a couple of years back. 

As for the Patriots' drafts, they've generally done a pretty good job since 2009, but with a few head-scratching picks (2nd rounder on Tavon Wilson, anyone?) that look to be complete and utter failures. 

So, anyone who can help them out... great by me. 

Lombardi's strength, according to some articles I've read the last few days, is pro scouting... much more so than scouting for the draft. My guess is that he'd end up in some kind of built-to-fit advisory role, given his background with Belichick. Floyd Reese held a similar position with the Patriots a couple of years back. 

As for the Patriots' drafts, they've generally done a pretty good job since 2009, but with a few head-scratching picks (2nd rounder on Tavon Wilson, anyone?) that look to be complete and utter failures. 

So, anyone who can help them out... great by me. 

I think it may also be a case of Belichick giving an old friend a job. They have a long history together and Bill always likes to have smart football guys that he knows and trusts around. A win/win for both and the Pats.

That's the 1 thing that eludes me about NE: How they draft so exceptionally well  as a team & move up & down the strategy chess board securing more & more picks. I won't lie. SW1 is very jealous. Is Mike Lombardi a key piece to that puzzle along with Mike Mayock? Probably. BB is very smart too. I never want to diminish the Grey Hoodie's vital contributions either. Much respect NE; much respect. That's why the Patriots are my 3rd favorite NFL franchise to watch. 

Either INDY or NE is "America's Team" IMO. This squad amazes me every single season. Your winning percentage since 2000 is off the charts.  :thmup:

I'd love to take an internship with BB & just see how he evaluates players, breaks down film, never pays too much for players, always gets wise veteran free agents to take less money getting the most out of them, & knowing exactly when to trade a player for the most benefit in Robert Kraft's organization. It's fascinating to watch. 

I've never seen a HC who was so driven to win that had no excessive emotional attachment to 1 player ever. Yes, he loves Brady, Bruschi, McGinest, Seau, Vrabel just to name a few favorites, but Bill is all about on the field production with no over the top sentimentality. Coaches talk about it, but very few actually pull it off successfully on an annual level. 

That's the 1 thing that eludes me about NE: How they draft so exceptionally well as a team & move up & down the strategy chess board securing more & more picks. I won't lie. SW1 is very jealous. Is Mike Lombardi a key piece to that puzzle along with Mike Mayock? Probably. BB is very smart too. I never want to diminish the Grey Hoodie's vital contributions either. Much respect NE; much respect. That's why the Patriots are my 3rd favorite NFL franchise to watch.

Either INDY or NE is "America's Team" IMO. This squad amazes me every single season. Your winning percentage since 2000 is off the charts. :thmup:

I'd love to take an internship with BB & just see how he evaluates players, breaks down film, never pays too much for players, always gets wise veteran free agents to take less money getting the most out of them, & knowing exactly when to trade a player for the most benefit in Robert Kraft's organization. It's fascinating to watch.

I've never seen a HC who was so driven to win that had no excessive emotional attachment to 1 player ever. Yes, he loves Brady, Bruschi, McGinest, Seau, Vrabel just to name a few favorites, but Bill is all about on the field production with no over the top sentimentality. Coaches talk about it, but very few actually pull it off successfully on an annual level.

Landry did it for 25 years.

Good point. Houston was probably his next stop. lol.

Who are you hoping the Texans take with the first pick? Do you like Manziel?

I do, actually. I really didn't at first but he's grown on me and I like the fact that he actually came out and said he wanted to play for us (though I'm sure every player who wants to get picked first would say the same). I do hope we take him but I definitely won't be angry if we get Clowney instead, as long as we end up with Carr or maybe even Bortles (less likely) in the second. Whatever the case, we have to get a quarterback to either develop or start right away.

I do, actually. I really didn't at first but he's grown on me and I like the fact that he actually came out and said he wanted to play for us (though I'm sure every player who wants to get picked first would say the same). I do hope we take him but I definitely won't be angry if we get Clowney instead, as long as we end up with Carr or maybe even Bortles (less likely) in the second. Whatever the case, we have to get a quarterback to either develop or start right away.

I am starting to like him more too. He has been watching film of Brady from 2011 to impress O'Brien with his knowledge of his offensive schemes. I like that. He is putting in the work which is something he has been criticized for in his college career. Like you said, every player wants Houston to take them as they know the team is far from 2-14 as long as they get a legit QB. And of course Manziel believes he is that guy. I hope he has a good combine and pro day.

I am starting to like him more too. He has been watching film of Brady from 2011 to impress O'Brien with his knowledge of his offensive schemes. I like that. He is putting in the work which is something he has been criticized for in his college career. Like you said, every player wants Houston to take them as they know the team is far from 2-14 as long as they get a legit QB. And of course Manziel believes he is that guy. I hope he has a good combine and pro day.

Yeah, I read something about how he wants O'Brien to quiz him about a 3rd and long play Brady made in the SB or something to that effect and he wants him to be impressed that he knows all about the play and what went down. I hope he goes out there and shows out as well. He seems willing to put the work in, that's for sure.

Landry did it for 25 years.

He's associated with the Dallas Cowboys, the NFL team I despise with every fiber in my body, so it doesn't count. Just kidding Iron Colt!  haha

Let's just say my Dallas animosity spans several family generations.  ;) I recognize the Texans as the only legitimate squad in that state. The Cowboys are just pathetic to me. JMO. 

In all seriousness, I do acknowledge the Championships that Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, & Barry Switzer won...Grudgingly that is...

Also, since Landry was fired by Jerry Jones in 1988, he got to keep players together & he never had to contend with free agency that started with Reggie White to GB in 1992 either. A huge difference which makes Bill Bellichick's winning record since 2000 much more impressive to me personally. 

I like Bill O'Brien QuizBoy &, if your squad gets Johnny Manziel, your squad is going take off man. I want your team to do well. I also want the AFC South to be considered the toughest black & blue division in the NFL too. I respect the Texans. You guys are a great rival!  :thmup: Is Wade Philips still your DC? I hope so. 

He said the same thing about the Browns, any player that wants to be drafted #1 overall would say the same. 

With that said, I am hoping the Browns can land Manzeil or Bridgewater, so I was hoping the Texans would take Bortles.

He said the same thing about the Browns, any player that wants to be drafted #1 overall would say the same. 

With that said, I am hoping the Browns can land Manzeil or Bridgewater, so I was hoping the Texans would take Bortles.

Manziel is going to go in the top 5 regardless. I have to believe pretty strongly that he would prefer Houston over Cleveland or Oakland.

Yeah, I was trying to basically say that in my first post. Any player that wants to go number one should say that they want to play for the team that has the first pick. Neither of us can lose though honestly...if we get Manziel you guys get Bridgewater, or vice versa, or you may be able to have your pick of any of the QBs if we get Clowney. I don't see us taking Bortles first though. Early rounder problems huh  haha