Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Security at the Super Bowl - prime game for terroist attack

amfootball

I was thinking about the SB being in NY this year and was thinking they better have heavily ramped up security as it would be the perfect venue for a terrorist attack in the same way the Boston Marathon was last year. Except of course the SB is much bigger in scope and in NY which has been a prime target for terrorists who want notoriety.

I was thinking about the SB being in NY this year and was thinking they better have heavily ramped up security as it would be the perfect venue for a terrorist attack in the same way the Boston Marathon was last year. Except of course the SB is much bigger in scope and in NY which has been a prime target for terrorists who want notoriety.

what u do last night watch the Movie Black Sunday 

An Israeli anti-terrorist agent  stops a  Vietnam vet involved in a palestinian  plot to commit a terrorist  act at the Super Bowl using a blimp with a bomb and dasrts housed under it & to be detonate over SB X   ,, Based on the Munich Olympic massacre  of Isreali team by the black september terror group

PS I dont mean to make light of the situation and the weather issues and confusion only hinder security I imagine

what u do last night watch the Movie Black Sunday 

An Israeli anti-terrorist agent  stops a  Vietnam vet involved in a palestinian  plot to commit a terrorist  act at the Super Bowl using a blimp with a bomb and dasrts housed under it & to be detonate over SB X   ,, Based on the Munich Olympic massacre  of Isreali team by the black september terror group

PS I dont mean to make light of the situation and the weather issues and confusion only hinder security I imagine

Never heard of the movie but sounds interesting.

I do think this year's SB because of its location has been a prime target for terrorists ever since it was announced. No one thought the Boston Marathon would get hit last year so it got me thinking of the SB and NY.

Never heard of the movie but sounds interesting.

I do think this year's SB because of its location has been a prime target for terrorists ever since it was announced. No one thought the Boston Marathon would get hit last year so it got me thinking of the SB and NY.

it starred Robert Shaw & bruce dern among aothers but get this 

Pat Summerall was in it to playing himself

Trailer R%obert Shaw on blimp trying to stop it as it enters stadium, Dern at contoils of irt with detonator in hand

blimp gets within few feet of ground and detonation near mid field as fans run a muck scarred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xknWZIAzBCc

You made me curious & this is what I found .

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/01/super_bowl_security_measures_outlined_by_state_federal_law_enforcement.html

Wow that is intense. They are treating it like it is a presidential inauguration. But I am glad to see it to be honest. The venue alone would make terrorists all too happy to strike there and create a national panic. The only issue is they need to really scope out their own folks working the game. No way someone comes from the outside IMO. They will have infiltrated within the SB crew as that would be the only way to get on the field or in the stadium. But I am sure they are looking at that too.

Wow that is intense. They are treating it like it is a presidential inauguration. But I am glad to see it to be honest. The venue alone would make terrorists all too happy to strike there and create a national panic. The only issue is they need to really scope out their own folks working the game. No way someone comes from the outside IMO. They will have infiltrated within the SB crew as that would be the only way to get on the field or in the stadium. But I am sure they are looking at that too.

Actually next to the Whitehouse nothing in the U.S has better security than the SB - no soft target here .

We have been very lucky, large groups no matter the  sense of security ,should be very aware of there surroundings as should we all on a daily basis .

A huge sporting event, and considering recent events, I expect any would be terrorist would regret the day they were born were anything attempted.

Don't many of them die during the act of terrorism anyway? Tough to make a person like that scared of repercussions..

Those who would target America would target America's greatest city.  Indy is small potatoes, if we had the SB in Omaha or KC, who would bomb it?  NYC is our greatest city. "They" BETTER have "heavily ramped up security".

The NFL, believe it or not, has IDENTIFIED this as a threat. 

I attended the Super Bowl in Indianapolis, and security there was tight! Snipers were located, and a ton of security and police all over. There was a restricted perimeter, which no one could access without a proper credential. This was quite a large area, so it wasn't right up on the venue. Credentials with this classification were very rare. I had to get a special day pass to enter 2 days prior for a meeting in the stadium. I had to go thru airport like security in the convention center.

Game day was another story. Everyones credentials from previous days for that area were void, and they issued new ones. The amount of metal detectors set up was insane. During the game there was constantly police walking around etc. I can't see a bomb, or car bomb making it to the stadium, but it could possible hit one of the security check points.

Another area of concern would be the super bowl village, or the team hotels. There is quite a bit of security there, but they are not nearly as secured as the perimeter. Anyone could get close :/

Honestly, when the lights went out last year at the Superbowl, my first thought was a terrorist attack. That stuff is scary.

I'm sure security will be very high

Nah, that was to stop the Ravens momentum. 38-0 is a huge lead. It would have been like 62-7 if they didn't do that.

Was scary though

very true.....but this is New York and New Jersey...and they are VERY sensitive to an attack

People may complain about the government spying on its citizens but you know that's ALL they're doing this week..

..anybody who buys 2 bags of fertilizer is going to be checked out 10 times

I don't think terrorists will attack the SB.  It's too expected. . . everyone knows it would be a prime target so the security around will be ultra tight.

They are going to likely be more successful attacking things that arn't on anyone's radar.  No one thought about the Boston Marathon, mostly because the Boston Marathon isn't contained inside any particular building or structure.  Plus the extensive size of the area of the marathon made it difficult to secure.

They will however be looking for targets with a lot of people but not so big that everyone is thinking that it's a likely target.  

I have had some worry in the back of my mind that the South Shore Line which is a train that runs between Chicago and South Bend might be a target.  I've been on it.  Security isn't tight and if you go at the right time there is quite a few people on board a train.  

I don't think terrorists will attack the SB.  It's too expected. . . everyone knows it would be a prime target so the security around will be ultra tight.

They are going to likely be more successful attacking things that arn't on anyone's radar.  No one thought about the Boston Marathon, mostly because the Boston Marathon isn't contained inside any particular building or structure.  Plus the extensive size of the area of the marathon made it difficult to secure.

They will however be looking for targets with a lot of people but not so big that everyone is thinking that it's a likely target.  

I have had some worry in the back of my mind that the South Shore Line which is a train that runs between Chicago and South Bend might be a target.  I've been on it.  Security isn't tight and if you go at the right time there is quite a few people on board a train.  

You think like a terrorist,  Valpo-man

You attack the soft target.

for terror purposes..an attack DURING the Super Bowl is as good as an attack ON the Super Bowl

You think like a terrorist,  Valpo-man

You attack the soft target.

for terror purposes..an attack DURING the Super Bowl is as good as an attack ON the Super Bowl

Not sure that's a compliment that I think like a terrorist.

I don't know if there is one timing of an attack that is better then another.  However you are right, it really doesn't make sense for the terrorists to attack the targets we are expecting them to attack.  That's why we've never seen an attack on the SB or even any football stadium to my knowledge.  Too much security, we tend to do that when you pack 70,000 people into one building.  If you wanted to attack the SB you would have to be a terrorist version of MacGyver and James Bond rolled into one.  The reality is that the people that do this stuff just are not that well trained to be able to sneak anything more then maybe a pocket knife past security at the SB.  Certainly arn't gonna be sneaking a bomb or any explosives in there.

But there is still a lot of places where you can find a lot of people and very little security.  

I don't think that takes "thinking like a terrorist" per se, that just takes knowing these guys arn't an evil combination of James Bond and MacGyver and knowing that these guys are also human beings who when given an objective are going to think about it and approach it in a logical manner which gives them a high probability of success.  Their chances of success in attacking the SB directly are very low.  

There are some indirect methods you could use if their hearts where set upon hitting the SB.  But they arn't gonna sneak a bomb or any sort of weapon scarier then a pocket knife past security.  

I freaking love this.

The conspiracy crowd is screaming "da gubahmen is spying on us!"

Pretty funny I came across a twitter last night that actually suggested the NFL and U.S. Government decided to put the Super Bowl in NY to spy on the citizens. I know, I know...it sounds as ridiculous as hilarious as it is, just like Obama is a Muslim, Communist, whatever and makes zombie babies.