Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl Weather

Andrew Luck's Beard

And the spectators are making themselves known as ticket sales are plummeting, http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10346582/2013-nfl-playoffs-super-bowl-ticket-prices-continue-plummet

It is the biggest game of the year and people don't want to go and freeze. I give the NFL credit for always trying to improve their product but a cold weather SB was just a bad idea all around.

Part of the problem is that the Super Bowl is mostly attended by people in suits, and not the usual fans. Ticket prices are way too high for that... and one report I saw showed some tickets originally going for around $4,000 dollars. They made a big deal out of the game here in Indy being held in the winter even though the game itself was in a nice 70 degree stadium. It should be fun seeing the biggest game of the year take place with empty seats because they thought holding the actual game outside would be clever.

football was always meant to be played outside not inside. And outside includes the elements. It's colder on the east coast in late december than it is february usually. This is a very strange winter. There was a total of less than 6 inches of snow over the last two years. This year alone it's been 3+ feet, which is super rare.

That's just rationalization.

Football was NEVER intended to be played in February....everybody knows that

It not just rain or ice..its 30 degree temps.

Its not just players..(the outdoor practice fields are frozen) its fans...the 'Super Bowl village  is wind chilled

///It was an experiment and its already failed......

//You want your title game to be played in perfect conditions unless you just want a freak show...

The 'football was meant to be played in the 'elements' is just a story folks have made up..that ignores how football began

It could rain anywhere, which it did in our last SB win in so called beautiful "Miami." And there isnt going to be a snowstorm for the SB. And even if there was it would still sellout. A snowstorm would just mean more real fans would get to go rather than the usual rich people who dont have any rooting interest.

Sure it rained when the Colts last won the SB, but I believe that it was the only seriously rain impacted SB in the entire history of the event, so it hardly proves your point. It's about "the odds of their being good weather", and the odds up here are pretty lousy. The fact that there isn't currently snow projected is pot luck - it's snowed repeatedly recently.

And stop with the "real fans" comment as if it's a matter of class warfare. It's fundamentally wrong that they don't directly offer a minimum of 80% of the seats to season ticket holders first, because they are the ones who deserve it. However I'm pretty sure that when corporations buy seats the actual attendees are often average schmucks who happen to have a relation to said corporation. Whether or not anyone is "rich" (whatever that means to you) has precious little to do with it - although I'll point out that no-one "poor" is flying in from Seattle or Denver for this regardless of the ticket prices. At this point I'd have trouble justifying the cost of gasoline to get there from central Jersey.

football was always meant to be played outside not inside. And outside includes the elements. It's colder on the east coast in late december than it is february usually. This is a very strange winter. There was a total of less than 6 inches of snow over the last two years. This year alone it's been 3+ feet, which is super rare.

The historical averages for late Dec and early Feb are similar, but the odds of adverse events are not. We can go YEARS without getting more than a smattering of snow before Christmas, and virtually never anything approaching a blizzard. In January/February on the other hand we get pummeled with regularity, with the odds of a serious temperature dip dramatically increased. Even if there isn't snow during the game, there is a significant probability that their will be snow on the ground impacting transportation, parking, and the ability to spend time and money enjoying other activities the area has to offer - which is the ENTIRE reason that cities bid for the SB in the first place.

Regardless of whether football can be played in these elements, there is a reason that many people from this area go to Florida for vacation in the winter. Offering a trip down there with the Super Bowl as a focal point is an easy and logical sell. Selling people on coming HERE in the winter is counter-intuitive. You are asking them to spend a fortune pretty much JUST for the game because most every other aspect of the trip is going to be largely unpleasant.

And I'm thoroughly sick of people implying that football in bad weather is "the real thing". It's not - it's an aberration that arbitrarily favors the team that happens to be built more a certain way. Shouldn't the conditions provide a completely neutral field that encourages the "better" team to win? Isn't that the entire point of the event?  The earlier playoff games reward the teams built to excel in their home fields, but the SB is supposed to neutral in every respect.

Plus it's ridiculous to be asked by the league to build a team that can excel in conventional conditions and earn a trip to the bowl, only to be faced with conditions that neuter what you do best. Good weather doesn't stop a defensive team from playing defense, but it darn well can stop an offensive team from playing offense. It makes no sense, and perhaps most importantly, it makes for an incredibly dull game - and for those in attendance an incredibly uncomfortable game. Removing the chest thumping of those who bizarrely think it's admirable to pay through the nose for the privilege of subjecting yourself to lousy conditions to watch a lousy game, it makes for a lousy show - both for those there and the hundreds of millions watching around the globe as well. This is all about "rewarding" those in the boys club who succeed in getting new stadiums built. In my opinion they would be smarter to think of the fans first, last, and in between.

For you and Snoopy,  MAC   ;)    regarding this Winter weather, and Super Bowl Weather   

You tell 'em,  Lucy

To paraphrase comedian George Carlin, football is not baseball. We don't call it off & say "we can't come out to play due to a little wind & precipitation." The conditions are even on both sides JAF. 

Part of me wants to see it moved just so the NFL realizes how poor of a decision that was.  With that said, I don't want to see any fans get the short end of the stick with their time off work and everything, like you said.  It's hard to get Super Bowl tickets and I'm sure every fan going is really excited for the game, so it's not right for the league to be able to change it so easily and affect so many people.  Could you imagine if you plan to leave for New York Friday after work only to hear the Super Bowl would be that night?  Just a bad decision by the league

No, it wasn't a poor decision 21isSuperman. The cream always rises to the top no matter what the playing environment dictates. 

I do find it funny listening to people try to say how they hope for snow and bad weather because that is how "real football" is meant to be played. Football I've always thought of with that crisp fall weather...but that's just me. I would hope the Super Bowl would be played so that neither team would have an advantage from the field or conditions. That is why if I had my choice it would be played in the Rose Bowl every year....but that's just me. To me you would like to see both team able to play their style of game and see which one comes out on top...and not limit one side or another because of gale force winds or rain etc. But we know life isn't fair...you just have to roll with the punches and good luck to both sides for a clean game. I hope its well played and yes I hope Peyton can finish his season off...for a guy that has been through so much and put so much hard work and effort into it...you like to see him rewarded with a great finish.

Football is "played in Sept. when everything is dying, can't see the numbers, can't see the hash marks, the struggle will continue." --George Carlin. Why are so many Broncos fans demanding perfect SB conditions for Manning? Why are you so worried? I'm not in the slightest. Have some faith in Fox, the o-line, the WRs, the defense, & #18.

To paraphrase comedian George Carlin, football is not baseball. We don't call it off & say "we can't come out to play due to a little wind & precipitation." The conditions are even on both sides JAF. 

No, it wasn't a poor decision 21isSuperman. The cream always rises to the top no matter what the playing environment dictates. 

Football is "played in Sept. when everything is dying, can't see the numbers, can't see the hash marks, the struggle will continue." --George Carlin. Why are so many Broncos fans demanding perfect SB conditions for Manning? Why are you so worried? I'm not in the slightest. Have some faith in Fox, the o-line, the WRs, the defense, & #18.

Aaactually....Conditions must be right for cream to rise to the top.  http://www.ilri.org/InfoServ/Webpub/fulldocs/ilca_manual4/MilkProcessing.htm

And if were talking about goats milk...it doesnt seperate.  (which is 65% of milk consumed globally)

And i think MAC said it very well that it is ridiculous for a team to come up with its own style of play, and then be forced to play in conditions that neuter their style of play.  If all teams expected to play a SB in a cold weather environment...the focus would quickly move to running.  Because passing may be great, but when it comes to the SB you would have to run exceptionally well. 

So to avoid conditions that affect a teams ability to play to their strengths, whatever they may be, then you should have a neutral site with fairly neutral weather conditions. 

Meanwhile due to the difference in practice fields local Detroit TV coverage says the Temp of the practice area facilities are a good 25 degrees warmer for Sea hawks than Broncos, -- showed Broncos in layers outfits and Seahawks not

see for practice facility differences

http://forums.colts.com/topic/26139-if-a-field-is-to-frozen-to-practice-on-what-about-playing-on-it-and-other-practice-field-notes/#entry731140

Start to Finish....... This year's SB has FIASCO  written all over it..

Who was the Brainiac behind deciding this location...??

That's just rationalization.

Football was NEVER intended to be played in February....everybody knows that

It not just rain or ice..its 30 degree temps.

Its not just players..(the outdoor practice fields are frozen) its fans...the 'Super Bowl village  is wind chilled

///It was an experiment and its already failed......

//You want your title game to be played in perfect conditions unless you just want a freak show...

The 'football was meant to be played in the 'elements' is just a story folks have made up..that ignores how football began

Aaactually....Conditions must be right for cream to rise to the top.  http://www.ilri.org/InfoServ/Webpub/fulldocs/ilca_manual4/MilkProcessing.htm

And if were talking about goats milk...it doesnt seperate.  (which is 65% of milk consumed globally)

And i think MAC said it very well that it is ridiculous for a team to come up with its own style of play, and then be forced to play in conditions that neuter their style of play.  If all teams expected to play a SB in a cold weather environment...the focus would quickly move to running.  Because passing may be great, but when it comes to the SB you would have to run exceptionally well. 

So to avoid conditions that affect a teams ability to play to their strengths, whatever they may be, then you should have a neutral site with fairly neutral weather conditions. 

Just the act of moving the game to an earlier day would constitute the elements impacting the game. Peyton is obviously all about preparation, so a deviation in the schedule would likely favor the Seahawks. Friday? They'll still be practicing on Friday!

TV Detroit Sports said and said Seahawks practicing in expected game time conditions as of now but broncos in much colder weather as noted

Meanwhile due to the difference in practice fields local Detroit TV coverage says the Temp of the practice area facilities are a good 25 degrees warmer for Sea hawks than Broncos, -- showed Broncos in layers outfits and Seahawks not

see for practice facility differences

http://forums.colts.com/topic/26139-if-a-field-is-to-frozen-to-practice-on-what-about-playing-on-it-and-other-practice-field-notes/#entry731140

Wind is the thing you've really got to look out for... 

The Pats-Broncos game in November was played in really windy conditions (what with Belichick opting to kick in OT... giving up possession to have the wind advantage, pretty big deal). That was probably Manning's worst statistical game of the season. Not knocking him, but those super-accurate-but-slightly-wobbly passes don't cut through the wind all that well. 

The AFCCG was 60 degrees and a bluebird day, and he looked like 2004 Manning.

If I had a rooting interest for the Broncos I wouldn't be too concerned about cold, or even a little snow. But I'd be concerned if it's windy. 

^This^ 

Plus, Wilson has some of the tightest spirals in the league. Even in slow motion they are all almost perfect. 

Makes sense.  But the Super Bowl is the big one.  That's the one where it all counts.  Legacies are made or lost here; careers can change.  A playoff loss is one thing, but a Super Bowl loss is a much bigger deal.  That's why I think refs tend to call fewer flags on close penalties in the Super Bowl (such as the throw to Crabtree at the end of last year's game); they don't want something they do to have such a massive effect.  Let the players play to their maximum potential and see who is the better team.  That's just how I see it, anyway

Yes very true but if you lose the playoff game you can't get to the SB :)

The football is meant to be played outside I agree with but I also agree with the other posters who correctly point out it always ended in Dec. and before for non- pro teams.

Since the SB is all about money and it's the "suits" who pay I would agree it should be played in warmer places.

I'm not convinced one team or another has an advantage in adverse weather. It's going to affect all QBs.  People always say Brady is a better QB in such weather.That's because of his coaching and not that Brady has bad weather magic or anything special.

Belichick is good at coaching the elements. For instance he coached Brady to throw 45 deg sideway angles in heavy snow as opposed to vertical hence NE scored 50+ points twice a couple years ago in near blizzard (Tenn and Chicago).

As a reg fan (not a suit fan) bad weather isn't that bad if you dress right. I went to the Buffalo game in heavy rain but left half time because what I thought was a rain coat wasn't:) If I had dressed for it  would be ok.  I like watching at home on TV but going to a game is just a different experience so I try to go at least one time a year. 

I went to the colts-pats 04 div championship game and had 7 layers of clothing on and was fine pregame. Once I got to the stadium I had to shed some layers because the body warmth of all the people.

Not worried at all...the wind would be my concern...or freezing rain. I like to see people have the opportunity to play at their best and not let the elements factor into the equation. I also don't like ugly conditions where people have footing issues, catching issues, or fumbling...I know it can't be played in a vaccum but if you have the opportunity to take the elements out of the game...to me thats the best scenerio...the game is enjoyable for those attending, no excuses/limitations placed on a player and it is equal opportunity for both teams. A defense/running team can win just as easily in great conditions as a passing team...the best team wins....where if a passing team that can't throw it more than 15yds because of wind and cold will not be able to play up to their abilities thats all. I still think Peyton will be more affected by the physical FAST corners than the conditions.

Really a surprising turn...the late forecast is for low-40s at kickoff..

That would be a major boost for Denver....and a stroke of luck for the NFL honchos who put the game in New Jersey

And low 40s is the usual high for early february in nj and the average low is in the mid 20s. So the superbowl is falling around the averages. People have been acting like NJ is Anartica or the North Pole. It's not. Anyway I'm happy with the current conditions and dont think any team has an advantage in the current ones.

And low 40s is the usual high for early february in nj and the average low is in the mid 20s. So the superbowl is falling around the averages. People have been acting like NJ is Anartica or the North Pole. It's not. Anyway I'm happy with the current conditions and dont think any team has an advantage in the current ones.

'only thing thats different is due to the difference in practice facilities Seahawks have practiced at temp that will approximate game time while Denver , having unheated practice facilities have been practicing in temps 25 degrees lower than Seattle, as per Detroit sports network,TV  as such some players they supposedly sent home in fear of getting worse flu from Prater  so sent him home yesterday agaain , he did practice wed i belive , Prater though says he will be readyy to kick the winner FG if needed

Really a surprising turn...the late forecast is for low-40s at kickoff..

That would be a major boost for Denver....and a stroke of luck for the NFL honchos who put the game in New Jersey

Evening Temp --A chance for a bit of snow or flurries  --
RealFeel® 34° / 28°