Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

? if a field is to Frozen to practice on , what about playing on it, and other practice field notes

bayone

From the  footnotes far below -- The  Broncos  will inspect the Jets  outdoor practice facility and if frozen practice inside, I have no idea if that's a safety issue , traction issue or what, I also have no idea if the stadium field is different than the practice and would have different playing conditions, to me one would rather practice in as similar state as the real game as possible

so if the practice & Met Life  fields are similar and if game day Met Life is frozen , is it safe to play ?? -- I have no idea 

the Jets practice field is in Florham Park, New Jersey- which is about 35 miles west and a touch south of East Rutherfoird  & met Like,  I would imagine weather condition are similar but dont really know

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Seahawks will probably do the same , but   they Practice at Giants outdoor facilty which i have no idea where it is, but as far as playing in the cold Week At Met Life the Seahawks are experienced as During this past season, the crews removed six inches of wet, iced-packed snow in roughly 12 hours before a Seahawks-Giants game on Dec. 15, http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/sports&id=9403966

DIFFERENCES IN PRACTICE FACILITIES

The Jets facility is definitely more extravagant than the Giants except for one thing: The Giants field house in heated and the Jets field house is not. It does get pretty cold in there. It will be interesting to see if Carroll and Fox elect to practice all week outdoors in the cold or take their teams inside. Also, if it snows on the big practice days of Wednesday or Thursday next week: Will they elect to have their teams get used to messy conditions in the event it snows on game day or will they decide to go inside because either they can’t get all their work done in the snow or they don’t want to risk injury?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/myers-super-bowl-confidential-manning-audible-led-seattle-article-1.1587133

Footnotes are at ARTICLES BOTTOM  

Footnotes. First thing Monday, the Broncos will inspect the outdoor practice field at the Jets' facility in Florham Park, N.J. If it's determined the field is frozen, the team will probably practice at the Jets' indoor facility. ... Broncos players and coaches will bus out of the team's headquarters starting at 9:30 a.m. Sunday. They will fly out of DIA around 11 a.m. and land in Newark between 3:30 and 4 p.m. EST. ... Besides Prater, defensive tackle Sione Fua missed practice Saturday because of a calf injury.

Read more: Broncos' special-team unit must recharge for playing at sea level - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24994066/broncos-special-team-unit-must-recharge-playing-at#ixzz2rX5mpXjW 

I would assume that MetLife has a heating system under the field. It should never become a sheet of ice like the practice facility might.

It's unfortunate that the inane SB publicity stunts require the teams to arrive so early. They should be installing their game plans in their own facilities as they have every other game - without discomfort or concern about prying eyes. The Broncos would also retain more of their aerobic edge by only leaving at the last minute, and you wouldn't have to worry about players getting distracted by the ego boosting attention, families looking to enjoy the sights, or other nonsense.

I never for the life of me understand the desire to treat it as a vacation. The lowest paid guy on the team can easily afford to take his family on a vacation to New York the week AFTER the Super Bowl - just put your head down and do your job.

I would assume that MetLife has a heating system under the field. It should never become a sheet of ice like the practice facility might.

It's unfortunate that the inane SB publicity stunts require the teams to arrive so early. They should be installing their game plans in their own facilities as they have every other game - without discomfort or concern about prying eyes. The Broncos would also retain more of their aerobic edge by only leaving at the last minute, and you wouldn't have to worry about players getting distracted by the ego boosting attention, families looking to enjoy the sights, or other nonsense.

I never for the life of me understand the desire to treat it as a vacation. The lowest paid guy on the team can easily afford to take his family on a vacation to New York the week AFTER the Super Bowl - just put your head down and do your job.

THats sounds god, as far as rest 

I AGREE TOTALLY  ,

hope Prater doesnt have to have a press conference and can get rid of the flu , its crazy he had to travel in this weather unless allowed to go later as  was sent home again yesterday as too sick and contagious to practice still Denver Post said, u cant put him in a bubble, and if he wears a mask he still needs to remove it to eat or drink & can  possibly infect others though bu now after a week hopefuly hes on the mend and not as contagious at least,, really depends on how bad he was all week

I am sure after Mile High he would like some cold weather practice kicks etc

i find it interesting also in MY OP i note how each place of practice has different faciltties, one heated one not for 1, things just should be a neutral as possible

Start to Finish....... This year's SB has FIASCO  written all over it..

Who was the Brainiac behind deciding this location...??

Perhaps, I am old school. I freely acknowledge that. But, I honestly believe that football is a sport meant to be played in the elements. Heck, what made the 2006 SB so cool & memorable was the rain. 

Besides, if the weather is nasty & Peyton Manning & the Broncos win it means more & silences all of 18's critics & naysayers up for good.

If Manning is arguably the best NFL QB right now, he will win a 2nd ring regardless of what mother nature throws at him. JMO. 

Perhaps, I am old school. I freely acknowledge that. But, I honestly believe that football is a sport meant to be played in the elements. Heck, what made the 2006 SB so cool & memorable was the rain. 

Besides, if the weather is nasty & Peyton Manning & the Broncos win it means more & silences all of 18's critics & naysayers up for good.

If Manning is arguably the best NFL QB right now, he will win a 2nd ring regardless of what mother nature throws at him. JMO. 

SW1,  I'm not JUST talking about the players, or Peyton,  I was referring to what a potential mess this could end up being, for the fans attending,  or trying to attend,  as well as the viewing audience at home.

For something of this magnitude, that is seen WORLDWIDE,  and has the largest viewing audience of just about anything else ever televised,  with the two Best teams of the year, why take the risk of it being postponed,  or * poor performance due to ice/snow etc.

Let them play  ~  with no advantages ~ or disadvantages to either team.   And there are plenty of venues to do this.  This hopefully will be a lesson for future   plans for something as spectacular as this.

And I disagree that it was meant to be played in the "elements".    Outdoors, yes.   In brisk Fall weather, yes.

In torrential rain,   Freezing rain and/or blizzard like snow,  No.     No I don't think it was "meant" to be played in those elements, anymore than downhill snow skiing was designed to  be done in 60 degree temps. 

Bronco's Practice preference Prevented by snowy field

Coach John Fox would prefer to have the Broncos practice outdoors on grass fields this week. But the grass fields at Jets headquarters in Florham Park were covered by snow over the weekend.

So the Broncos will practice on the Jets' artificial-turf practice field outdoors, or they will practice at the Jets' indoor facility.

Read more: Broncos kicker Matt Prater finally well enough to practice Monday - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24999243/broncos-kicker-matt-prater-finally-well-enough-practice#ixzz2raqjXbSn 

Start to Finish....... This year's SB has FIASCO  written all over it..

Who was the Brainiac behind deciding this location...??

It's unfortunate that the inane SB publicity stunts require the teams to arrive so early. They should be installing their game plans in their own facilities as they have every other game - without discomfort or concern about prying eyes. The Broncos would also retain more of their aerobic edge by only leaving at the last minute, and you wouldn't have to worry about players getting distracted by the ego boosting attention, families looking to enjoy the sights, or other nonsense

From Last night, lost link

Since Giants  (  has heat if want ) headquarters sits across the parking lot in East Rutherford from the stadium where the game will be played, the Seahawks may be able to acclimate to the wind patterns in the area by staying outside.

The Jets' indoor practice facility resembles an airplane hangar and is not heated. Though there will not be wind in the building, it certainly will be cold.

From Last night, lost link

Since Giants  (  has heat if want ) headquarters sits across the parking lot in East Rutherford from the stadium where the game will be played, the Seahawks may be able to acclimate to the wind patterns in the area by staying outside.

Broncos  practice at The Jets' indoor practice facility resembles an airplane hangar and is not heated. Though there will not be wind in the building, it certainly will be cold.

Its possible no one considered the practice fields when they thought about the 'Cold Bowl'

TRUE - The game is played in same weather but totally different practice facility environments

, Seahawks  use Giants facilities across the strreet  & Heated if  wanted and may glean some on wind patterns  

Vs 

larger cold unheated facility with no wind 30 miles away for broncos

It is what it is 

have a good night , i gave u a like   in another thread but basically only little time for quick reads and this is only comment , 

I hope the game is played at Mom's facilities , i'll catch at least the first half then, if not I will have it DVR'd