Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated Colts Free Agency and Mock

In free agency...

Indy resigns CB Vontae Davis(5 years, 38 million), RB Donald Brown (3 years, 10 million), K Adam Vinatieri (2 years, 5 million), P McAfee (franchise tag), OG Joe Reitz (2 years, 2.5 million)

Indy cuts C Samson Satelle and doesn't resign Antoine Bethea

Indy signs free agents: C Evan Dietrich Smith(4 years, 18 million), ILB Donald Butler(5 years, 30 million), DT/DE Linval Joseph(4 years, 20 million)

2014 NFL Draft...

Round 3 Pick 4 (ATL): Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU (A)
Round 3 Pick 26: Victor Hampton, CB, South Carolina (A)
Round 3 Pick 30 (S.F.): Kenny Ladler, FS, Vanderbilt (A-)
Round 4 Pick 3 (ATL): Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn (A)
Round 5 Pick 26: Tyler Larsen, C, Utah State (A-)
Round 6 Pick 27: Deandre Coleman, DT, California (B+)
Round 7 Pick 16: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (B)

This is just my opinion on what would be a stellar offseason without spending a ton on free agents.

In free agency...

Indy resigns CB Vontae Davis(5 years, 38 million), RB Donald Brown (3 years, 10 million), K Adam Vinatieri (2 years, 5 million), P McAfee (franchise tag), OG Joe Reitz (2 years, 2.5 million)

Indy cuts C Samson Satelle and doesn't resign Antoine Bethea

Indy signs free agents: C Evan Dietrich Smith(4 years, 18 million), ILB Donald Butler(5 years, 30 million), DT/DE Linval Joseph(4 years, 20 million)

2014 NFL Draft...

This is just my opinion on what would be a stellar offseason without spending a ton on free agents.

Except there's no way we get that many draft picks ... which means you have to address more in FA.

2014 NFL Draft...

Where are all the picks coming from?

If your going to post in here your idea for a mock draft, don't do the trade downs in first-pick. They are fun for just trying them out, but are very unrealistic. Nobody can take your mock draft seriously when you add 4 picks from one.

I look at it as that's most likely what we're going to do anyways. Why wouldn't you trade down if you only have about 4 picks in the entire draft? You really think we'll just stand pat on all our draft picks? Getting a high 3rd and 4th for a late 2nd is very possible so its not unrealistic.

I look at it as that's most likely what we're going to do anyways. Why wouldn't you trade down if you only have about 4 picks in the entire draft? You really think we'll just stand pat on all our draft picks? Getting a high 3rd and 4th for a late 2nd is very possible so its not unrealistic.

I agree that week probably do something minor in the later rounds, but I count 2 extra third round picks and a 4th, unrealistic trade for a second. Plus trades are just so hard to mock and we have no idea if we will trade

I look at it as that's most likely what we're going to do anyways. Why wouldn't you trade down if you only have about 4 picks in the entire draft? You really think we'll just stand pat on all our draft picks? Getting a high 3rd and 4th for a late 2nd is very possible so its not unrealistic.

While I agree it could and probably has happened I don't know that it is "very possible" because you didn't have us moving down very far.  I only looked at the 2013 draft and the closest I could find was:

- GB trades pick #55 (2nd rnd) -> to SF #61 (2nd rnd) & #173 (6th rnd)

- Sea trades pick #56 (2nd rnd) -> to Balt. #62 (2nd rnd), #165 (5th rnd), & #199 (6th)

By the time the end of the 2nd rolls around, there will be a player - more than likely - that Grigson can't believe is still on the board.  There are certainly scenarios where your trade is realistic, but so far Grigson is showing us that he prefers to pick from conviction of his current position.  We can be certain that Grigs has fielded trade down offers several times in his first 2 drafts (especially 2012), yet he always found something he liked better in the now.

Here is one where I only did one trade down trading our 3rd rounder to move down and acquire a 4th in the process.

Round 2 Pick 27: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State (A)
Round 3 Pick 30 (S.F.): Dion Bailey, FS, Dion Bailey, FS, Southern California (A)
Round 4 Pick 29 (S.F.): George Uko, DE, Southern California (A)
Round 5 Pick 26: Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State (A)
Round 7 Pick 16: Denicos Allen, OLB, Michigan State (A)

I think the Robinson and Bailey picks may be a little unrealistic, so Id be completely fine with substituting CB Victor Hampton with Robinson, and Kenny Ladler for Bailey.

Hampton could be had in the early to mid 3rd so we could trade down a little to get him, while Ladler should be able to be had in the 4th.

I'm not that big a fan of Allen Robinson. He's explosive and can play, but he's not a great route runner. Maybe that's okay, but I'm always partial to more technical receivers.

But you have to admit, he rarely let's the ball hit the ground,and although he isn't as polished in route running,he can work on that- you can't fault good hands.also in space he is a good WR (watch his highlights video of this year and the run against Ohio State-great play.)

But you have to admit, he rarely let's the ball hit the ground,and although he isn't as polished in route running,he can work on that- you can't fault good hands.also in space he is a good WR (watch his highlights video of this year and the run against Ohio State-great play.)

Very good hands, no question about it. Very good in space also. I don't have a problem with him, I just think there are other receivers available in later rounds that are more complete. I prefer someone like Eric Decker to someone like Percy Harvin, personally, especially considering their respective draft position.

So if I had to choose between Robinson in the second (and he probably won't last til 58 when we pick), or Jordan Matthews, or Cody Hoffman (who will probably be a 5th or 6th round pick), I think I'd pass on Robinson. (Edit: Add Jared Abbrederis to that list.) We have some guys with explosive ability already, but we don't have the technically proficient guy with size who can get open on big downs and in the red zone. Especially in Reggie's absence. Again, JMO.

Robinson is much more a body catcher then he is a hands catcher from what I have seen watching him throughout the year, Not a deceptive route runner, He has good but not great speed in my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzCrpLd_uqc

:01 body catches

:25 body catches

:50 body catches

1:40 body catches

1:58 body catches

Those aren't body catches, sir. I'd like to see him attack the ball with his hands more, which is especially important when the coverage is tight. But just because he doesn't extend his hands away from his body doesn't mean those are body catches. And of course, there are a ton of examples of him making the pro style hands catch that you want him to make. 

He definitely needs more polish, but I think he's a good weapon. I just would prefer a more technical guy for our team right now. I would have loved to have Robinson two years ago. Now, I think we need a different kind of receiver to round out our corps.

Those aren't body catches, sir. I'd like to see him attack the ball with his hands more, which is especially important when the coverage is tight. But just because he doesn't extend his hands away from his body doesn't mean those are body catches. And of course, there are a ton of examples of him making the pro style hands catch that you want him to make. 

He definitely needs more polish, but I think he's a good weapon. I just would prefer a more technical guy for our team right now. I would have loved to have Robinson two years ago. Now, I think we need a different kind of receiver to round out our corps.

Now that ya mention it, he is extending his hands in those, hard to tell at first

Now that ya mention it, he is extending his hands in those, hard to tell at first

It's that time of year....    :)

If the Colts burn there top pick on a WR I wll be furious.   

Draft D ,   and sign O in the FA.

Please.

Here is a draft not done through first pick.com...

*Indy trades 2nd to Cleveland for their 7th, 19th picks in the 3rd round.(I think this is more realistic than people think getting two 3's for a late 2. Cleveland could see a QB they want at the end of the 2nd before and wanna move up.

3rd(via Cle)- WR Jarvis Landry (We still need a talented WR with go to potential to replace Wayne when he hangs it up. I still cant count on Rogers just yet. And Landry is a tough WR who is a very good route runner.)

3rd(via Cle)- CB Victor Hampton (Gives us an underrated corner who plays physical and well on an island. Toler gets injured too much so we need a guy who can step in when needed.) 

3rd- OLB Dee Ford (This guy can split time with Mathis and take over at the speed rush position once Mathis is done.)

5th- DE Ben Gardner (Depth is needed on the DL)

7th- BPA

Here is a draft not done through first pick.com...

*Indy trades 2nd to Cleveland for their 7th, 19th picks in the 3rd round.(I think this is more realistic than people think getting two 3's for a late 2. Cleveland could see a QB they want at the end of the 2nd before and wanna move up.

3rd(via Cle)- WR Jarvis Landry (We still need a talented WR with go to potential to replace Wayne when he hangs it up. I still cant count on Rogers just yet. And Landry is a tough WR who is a very good route runner.)

3rd(via Cle)- CB Victor Hampton (Gives us an underrated corner who plays physical and well on an island. Toler gets injured too much so we need a guy who can step in when needed.) 

3rd- OLB Dee Ford (This guy can split time with Mathis and take over at the speed rush position once Mathis is done.)

5th- DE Ben Gardner (Depth is needed on the DL)

7th- BPA

I still think someone a team really covets would have to be there to get a trade like this, but I agree it is possible.

- Ford likely won't make it out of the 1st round, let alone to the 3rd.

- There's a chance you get Landry in 3rd, but definitely not a given.

Did you edit this? I thought it said something else.

Anyways, yeah if the palms are facing away from the body, it's a hands catch. Might not be clean, and he might use his body to finish, which isn't ideal.

I still think someone a team really covets would have to be there to get a trade like this, but I agree it is possible.

- Ford likely won't make it out of the 1st round, let alone to the 3rd.

- There's a chance you get Landry in 3rd, but definitely not a given.

Yeah Ford is moving up fast. He won't be there in the third.

Did you edit this? I thought it said something else.

Anyways, yeah if the palms are facing away from the body, it's a hands catch. Might not be clean, and he might use his body to finish, which isn't ideal.

Yeah I edited it, changed it after you pointed out he had his hands close to the body but out slightly, But he looks to use his body to finish alot as you say

Yeah Ford is moving up fast. He won't be there in the third.

I see Ford more as a 4-3 OLB actually, Now I think he could be used as a rush linebacker in a 34 but I think it would have to be in a rotational role at least till he put on weight and strength and learned to contain

I see Ford more as a 4-3 OLB actually, Now I think he could be used as a rush linebacker in a 34 but I think it would have to be in a rotational role at least till he put on weight and strength and learned to contain

I haven't watched a lot of him, just the Senior Bowl. They kept saying he's a three point pass rusher, not an OLB. And that's where he did his damage in that game.

I haven't watched a lot of him, just the Senior Bowl. They kept saying he's a three point pass rusher, not an OLB. And that's where he did his damage in that game.

Yeah I haven't watched most of the Senior Bowl yet actually, Im getting ready to do that, I have seen my share of Auburn games this year and watched some film on him in doing so. Will be a good player I think if he goes to the right team in the right system, Just a shame many dont take that stuff into account when a player is drafted, Not all players drafted are good scheme fits and fans get all up in arms when they dont work out.....well they were set up to fail

Yeah I haven't watched most of the Senior Bowl yet actually, Im getting ready to do that, I have seen my share of Auburn games this year and watched some film on him in doing so. Will be a good player I think if he goes to the right team in the right system, Just a shame many dont take that stuff into account when a player is drafted, Not all players drafted are good scheme fits and fans get all up in arms when they dont work out.....well they were set up to fail

hum .. makes me reminisce about our recent 1st round pick Werner.. he played in a 4-3 and we put him in a 3-4 and he looked out of position or very uncomfortable in his new scheme.. I hope he makes the jump and produces, I also hope this is not a sign of our FO / coaches... seems allot like another 1st round pick Hughes and look how he played this year back in the 4-3

hum .. makes me reminisce about our recent 1st round pick Werner.. he played in a 4-3 and we put him in a 3-4 and he looked out of position or very uncomfortable in his new scheme.. I hope he makes the jump and produces, I also hope this is night a sign of our FO / coaches... seems allot like another 1st round pick Hughes and look how we he played this year back in the 4-3

Some players just need time to adjust, the talent was always there with Hughes (he has always has a quick get off the ball) he just needed CONSISTENT time ON THE FIELD to produce, Fans give up on players far to quick.....at least wait till there contract is up to pass judgement

It's that time of year....    :)

If the Colts burn there top pick on a WR I wll be furious.   

Draft D ,   and sign O in the FA.

Please.

It would be more cost effective to draft a receiver than to sign a receiver. I'm hoping we sign an ILB and some depth in the secondary and on the defensive line in free agency. I also hope we get some young players with playmaking potential in the draft, particularly on defense. But I don't see why a premium position like WR would or should be excluded from the draft strategy.

hum .. makes me reminisce about our recent 1st round pick Werner.. he played in a 4-3 and we put him in a 3-4 and he looked out of position or very uncomfortable in his new scheme.. I hope he makes the jump and produces, I also hope this is not a sign of our FO / coaches... seems allot like another 1st round pick Hughes and look how he played this year back in the 4-3

Werner was expected to back Mathis up at the Rush spot as a rookie. He wound up playing Rush and Sam, which is a challenge for anyone (Mathis wasn't quite as good last year when he split time between the two spots). Werner also missed time with an injury. I don't think he's the explosive pass rusher most people want -- myself included -- but I think he'll be fine as a well-rounded OLB in our scheme. He should be better next year.

The problem for our defense is that he's our second best pass rusher. He's not a good enough pass rusher to be our second best. I wish we had kept Hughes as a rotational pass rusher.

It would be more cost effective to draft a receiver than to sign a receiver. I'm hoping we sign an ILB and some depth in the secondary and on the defensive line in free agency. I also hope we get some young players with playmaking potential in the draft, particularly on defense. But I don't see why a premium position like WR would or should be excluded from the draft strategy.

To me signing a good Guard or Center needs to be top priority, I really dont want to bank on Thornton making a big jump in play or Thomas being 100 percent (I dont see Thomas being 100 percent very likely come he beginning of next year at least)

To me signing a good Guard or Center needs to be top priority, I really dont want to bank on Thornton making a big jump in play or Thomas being 100 percent (I dont see Thomas being 100 percent very likely come he beginning of next year at least)

We need a center, an ILB, a safety and a depth at several positions, including guard. Getting better/deeper at receiver is probably a luxury, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be good for the team. Particularly in the draft, which is the primary way to add young talent to your team. I just don't think there's any reason to exclude certain positions from the strategy.

I'm not advocating drafting a receiver in the second, but if we drafted Jordan Matthews, it would be awesome for our team. Especially if we add upgrades at center, ILB and safety. JMO.

We need a center, an ILB, a safety and a depth at several positions, including guard. Getting better/deeper at receiver is probably a luxury, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be good for the team. Particularly in the draft, which is the primary way to add young talent to your team. I just don't think there's any reason to exclude certain positions from the strategy.

I'm not advocating drafting a receiver in the second, but if we drafted Jordan Matthews, it would be awesome for our team. Especially if we add upgrades at center, ILB and safety. JMO.

Agree 100 percent