Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive minds in the division

markabrown96

Horton is a 3-4 guy so I think Tenn. will have some work to do with their personnel before making too much of an impact. I haven't been real impressed with Crennel's defenses since he left NE. Looks like now Jacksonville will be the only 4-3 team in the division, but I do like Bradley and think he's got Jacksonville headed in the right direction.

Crennel may be a good defensive mind, but as smashmouth said, is he an improvement over Wade Phillips?  Wade had that defense running really well for a few years.  I really like Gus Bradley, but that team needs a lot more talent.  As for Tennessee, I do like Horton, but he is a 3-4 guy.  So, as Balzer said, they will have some work to do before they are a polished product.  To be honest, I'm still not fully convinced of our defensive minds.  I like Pagano, but I'm not sold on Manusky.

Crennel may be a good defensive mind, but as smashmouth said, is he an improvement over Wade Phillips?  Wade had that defense running really well for a few years.  I really like Gus Bradley, but that team needs a lot more talent.  As for Tennessee, I do like Horton, but he is a 3-4 guy.  So, as Balzer said, they will have some work to do before they are a polished product.  To be honest, I'm still not fully convinced of our defensive minds.  I like Pagano, but I'm not sold on Manusky.

Yeah I heard Wisenhunt was insistent on a 3-4 wherever he went and that was partially what contributed to talks breaking down between he and the Lions.  That and Wiz wanted a little more input/control in personnel decisions than the Lions were willing to give up.

I do think it will be interesting to see how the defenses develop in the afc south.  the titans probably will have a "growing/adjusting" year but if Horton is as good as people think he is (myself included) then that Titans defense could prove formidable sooner rather than later.

And while not everyone will agree, i think it is a good thing.  Better competition during the regular season should go a long way towards making the team better and more prepared for the playoffs. :)

Crennels defense led to 3 SB wins

His three years as D Coordinator in NE (2001-2004)

2001-334.5  total yards a game allowed...17 points allowed per game...5.3 yards per play allowed

2002-5.2 yards allowed per play 21.6 points allowed per game...total yards per game allowed 336.1

2003-4.4 yards per play allowed 291.6 yards allowed  14.9 points allowed per game

2004-310.8 yards per game allowed 5.0 yards a play allowed 16.2 points per game allowed

Wade Phillips as D Coordinator as Texans 2011-20013:

2011-yards per play allowed 4.8 points per game allowed.......17.4 points per game allowed...Total yards a game allowed 285.7

2012-5.1 yards per play allowed..... 323.2 yards allowed per game......20.7 points allowed per game

2013-5.2 yards per play allowed....317.6 yards allowed per game......26.8 points allowed per game

Has anyone ever seen a Wade Phillips defense in the Super Bowl?  

Not in Atlanta

Not in Buffalo

Not in Houston

Not in Dallas

I think they did right in getting Crennel. 3 Super Bowl rings on a team where they weren't even known for putting up many 

points on the offensive side of the ball.  I think Phillips is okay, but to me his defenses wilt in the big moments despite the stats.

which is why pags was dumb for not sticking with a 4-3

Yes, he is so stupid. Even with the teams switching this yr. there is still only 12 teams running a 3-4. 20 are 4-3 teams, how incredibly dumb of Pagano.(in case your not picking up on it, that was sarcasm).

Yes, he is so stupid. Even with the teams switching this yr. there is still only 12 teams running a 3-4. 20 are 4-3 teams, how incredibly dumb of Pagano.(in case your not picking up on it, that was sarcasm).

with the guys we had on the roster, it was dumb