Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive strategy against Denver

GoPats

Two things happened in the November game that really impacted the outcome:

1. The weather. Not crazy cold but it was very windy.

2. The Broncos built a 24 point lead without really even breaking a sweat.

The Patriots did play a high shell defense most of the game, but I think those two factors - the wind, and the big lead - contributed to Denver really pounding the run in that game. Moreno was having success but New England was able to stop Denver on enough 3rd downs to get enough possessions to come back and eventually take the lead.

Manning didn't seem to want to throw anything downfield throughout most of the game, though he did when he had to (game-tying drive). Plus you're talking about a 24-point lead and trying to kill the clock a bit... 

So those things - wind, big lead, Patriots' formations - all contributed to the run-heavy offense Denver put out there. While NE could play the same kind of two-deep and three-deep shells, they obviously cannot count on weather this time, and I'm sure falling behind by 24 points early wasn't part of the plan!

So, question is... how do the Patriots defend the Broncos this time out? I'm pretty confident that New England will put up some points on Denver's D, so the key is whether or not they can hold Manning and the offense to 30 points or fewer.

I think they cover up tight underneath and force Manning to be precise on the underneath routes and almost dare him to throw deep. I think what I have noticed most about Manning the last two years is how short his game has become. Lots of 5-10 yard throws although he can still hit the intermediate ones. I think the Pats safeties are good enough to take away the deep ball which is why I think they play tight on the receivers. Plus they have the physical corners in Talib and Dennard to do that.

I still think Denver runs because that will be the most favorable look they get from the Pats all day. No way Bill lets Denver beat them through the air. He will force Manning to be patient and take the underneath stuff and run Moreno.

I think the real key is ToP in this game. If the Pats are anywhere near 32-35 minutes they win.

I do agree though that the Pats can put points up too. I would think they come out throwing to test that Denver secondary but then again not sure you can go away from the run game either which has been so dominant the last month.

Denver remembers all too well blowing that 24 point lead vs NE & because of that the Broncos won't be 85-90% reliant on Moreno & the ground game like they did the last time they played. Fox & Manning won't duplicate that mistake again I can promise you that. 

3 guys on NE's side scare me: Edelman, Blount, [i love the "Blunt Force Trauma" that I heard some NFL commentator say BTW. Very clever!] & Jones are really the only Patriots men who scare me actually. 

Denver has a darn good o-line too to keep 18 upright & clean with no visual, pass rush obstructions.

Score: Denver 35 NE 28. 

No one has mentioned Julius Thomas. He wasn't in the game last time. 

I think the Broncos should have stuck with the run last game; I've said that many times before. When they started trying to mix in more passes is when bad things started happening (sacks and turnovers). Like the Pats did against the Colts, even though they weren't ripping off big runs, you just stick with what's working. Add in the wind, the score, and the Pats playing a shell defense, and even more reason to just stick with the run game. 

I still think the key to defending the Broncos is the same as it was when they played the Colts: Focus on tight coverage on the receivers, try to get pressure up the middle without blitzing, and hope you can make enough plays over the course of the game to make a difference. I don't believe in the gimmicks and the head games and whatnot. I've watched a powerful Manning offense be slowed down enough times to know what gets to him, and it's not disguised blitzes, it's not daring him to check down or audible to runs. You have to cover well, you have get pressure up the middle, and you have to tackle well. Simple, not easy.

I personally think it's a tall order to take away all the weapons that offense has, especially if they're running it well. And run defense is the soft spot of the Pats defense (I thought the Colts should have tried to establish the run early and often last week). They have so many receivers and so many different ways to get them open. They almost came back in the Colts game, then Hillman fumbled on the goalline. 

No defensive game plan is going to work by itself. For Pats there is nothing much to learn from that weird game in November, except for not turning the ball over (same to Denver). If they want to have a good plan, learn from Charger's wk15 game at Denver: Win time of possession, convert 3rd downs, and end the long drives with TDs.

No one has mentioned Julius Thomas. He wasn't in the game last time....

Simple, not easy.

Thomas is definitely going to change the complexion of this, good point. I don't know how many snaps Jamie Collins took in the Denver game but would guess that he's going to be responsible for Thomas for most of the game in this one. They'll have to get him some help at times though. Very talented guy, but he's a rookie.

And I could not agree more on that last part... "simple, not easy." I don't think it's about Xs and Os as much as it's about execution. 

Thomas is definitely going to change the complexion of this, good point. I don't know how many snaps Jamie Collins took in the Denver game but would guess that he's going to be responsible for Thomas for most of the game in this one. They'll have to get him some help at times though. Very talented guy, but he's a rookie.

And I could not agree more on that last part... "simple, not easy." I don't think it's about Xs and Os as much as it's about execution. 

I am interested to see how Denver defends the Pats as well. They said on the radio today that in the 5 games that Brady has played a Del Rio defense and this goes back to 2007 when he was HC of Jacksonville and the last four games vs Denver, Brady has a 75 percent completion percentage, 17 TDs and 0 picks. Those numbers are staggering. I have to think the Pats pass given the secondary issues of the Broncos but then again Brady does not have the same weapons anymore although getting Dobson back could be big for this game.

No one has mentioned Julius Thomas. He wasn't in the game last time. 

I think the Broncos should have stuck with the run last game; I've said that many times before. When they started trying to mix in more passes is when bad things started happening (sacks and turnovers). Like the Pats did against the Colts, even though they weren't ripping off big runs, you just stick with what's working. Add in the wind, the score, and the Pats playing a shell defense, and even more reason to just stick with the run game. 

I still think the key to defending the Broncos is the same as it was when they played the Colts: Focus on tight coverage on the receivers, try to get pressure up the middle without blitzing, and hope you can make enough plays over the course of the game to make a difference. I don't believe in the gimmicks and the head games and whatnot. I've watched a powerful Manning offense be slowed down enough times to know what gets to him, and it's not disguised blitzes, it's not daring him to check down or audible to runs. You have to cover well, you have get pressure up the middle, and you have to tackle well. Simple, not easy.

I personally think it's a tall order to take away all the weapons that offense has, especially if they're running it well. And run defense is the soft spot of the Pats defense (I thought the Colts should have tried to establish the run early and often last week). They have so many receivers and so many different ways to get them open. They almost came back in the Colts game, then Hillman fumbled on the goalline. 

Jam the WR's & TE's off the line of scrimmage & generate pressure up the middle...Couldn't that description qualify as a counter measure to most NFL elite QBs still playing this weekend? NE will have a hard enough time slowing down the Broncos superb screen game when Denver chooses to implement them. 

Not a criticism Superman at all. I just think that this is 18's year to do what I expect him to. Take home what really matters:  :lombardi:

Just please don't put Wes Welker on punt returns anymore that's all I ask. 

Yeah......this may decide the game. I fully expect right now that the Pats o line may man handle the Broncos. And Brady is perfect vs. JDR defenses until proven otherwise.

It will come down to Manning vs. the Hoodie yet again......IMO and what the heck do I know but I almost feel as if the Pats would rather have Decker and Welker try to beat them in the air over the others. Both can be hot and cold to me.

The regular season meeting was just odd. I can't recall the Pats having so many turnovers in a row like that......I am not sure since I don't remember it well if it was the Pats just being careless or the Broncos doing something well.

Not sure about the running game.....Denver seems hot and cold to me at times with it and lately NE is running like it is the 1970's. So who knows. For some reason I kinda expect both to be throwing more then predicted. SD stuck with the run too long IMO. NE game plans week to week.......and the Broncos passing D is their weakness. So who knows.....

You've got to avoid going down big early and the Denver crowd is going to make first quarter snap counts tough on the Pats offense

I'd start the game the same way they did in NE..use a 6-man front ....5 deep backs and dare Peyton to check down into runs..

Moreno's not a breakaway runner..

He'll gain..but itll slow the game down...

...switch up at halftime....and fire up some blitz pressure on manning..

You lock up DT and Welker and dare Decker and Julius T to beat you

..and be very aggressive....NE loses if they give Denver 10-12 posessions..'

You have to be able to make a 4th-and-1 and 4th and 2 anywhere on the field

Edited by Superman
formatting

Weather on Sunday is predicted to be Sunny and 59 degrees with an 8 mph west wind.  That is pretty good passing weather.  

I'd expect Manning to go hurry up no huddle to test the endurance of the Patriot defenders (especially the front 7) at altitude.   The highest elevation of any of their games this year was at 483' Cincinatti and they lost it.  That is 4800 feet below Denver.

Differences from the first game include the drastically improved weather, the altitude difference, the rash of injuries on both teams, the improvement in the health of Manning's high ankle sprain, and the return of Julius Thomas.

Jam the WR's & TE's off the line of scrimmage & generate pressure up the middle...Couldn't that description qualify as a counter measure to most NFL elite QBs still playing this weekend? NE will have a hard enough time slowing down the Broncos superb screen game when Denver chooses to implement them. 

Not a criticism Superman at all. I just think that this is 18's year to do what I expect him to. Take home what really matters:  :lombardi:

Just please don't put Wes Welker on punt returns anymore that's all I ask. 

Yeah, it's my answer for any big time QB. Some of them are more affected by the blitz, some are more prone to be tricked on a disguised coverage. These two guys, though, have seen/done it all. You might catch them slipping here or there, but for the most part, they know what you're doing. You just have to execute, over and over again, and when the chance comes to make a play, you have to make it. 

Yeah......this may decide the game. I fully expect right now that the Pats o line may man handle the Broncos. And Brady is perfect vs. JDR defenses until proven otherwise.

It will come down to Manning vs. the Hoodie yet again......IMO and what the heck do I know but I almost feel as if the Pats would rather have Decker and Welker try to beat them in the air over the others. Both can be hot and cold to me.

The regular season meeting was just odd. I can't recall the Pats having so many turnovers in a row like that......I am not sure since I don't remember it well if it was the Pats just being careless or the Broncos doing something well.

Not sure about the running game.....Denver seems hot and cold to me at times with it and lately NE is running like it is the 1970's. So who knows. For some reason I kinda expect both to be throwing more then predicted. SD stuck with the run too long IMO. NE game plans week to week.......and the Broncos passing D is their weakness. So who knows.....

I think the regular season meeting is irrelevant..

Brady did not do well against Denver earlier this year and he'll have less at TE..this time..but Denver's down 3 defensive starters (Vickerson, harris and Miller) from when that game was played.....and conditions will be perfect Sunday.

Denver oddly has played better defensively in the last 3 weeks as they've LOST personell..it makes no sense; 

....NE has got to run their backs...to eat the clock but you're enoguh...they must take shots at old timers Champ or Jammer..

It just stacks up as a high scoring ...pass interference calls will be crucial..and there should be a few

Brady did not do well against Denver earlier this year and he'll have less at TE..this time..but Denver's down 3 defensive starters (Vickerson, harris and Miller) from when that game was played.....and conditions will be perfect Sunday.

Denver oddly has played better defensively in the last 3 weeks as they've LOST personell..it makes no sense; 

....NE has got to run their backs...to eat the clock but you're enoguh...they must take shots at old timers Champ or Jammer..

It just stacks up as a high scoring ...pass interference calls will be crucial..and there should be a few

I don't know the numbers of each QB and I am too lazy to look them up but you say Brady did not do well. Well.....his team did lead the giant comeback and Brady was a large part of this. He played better then Manning did IMO. Maybe it was the wind or the cold or whatever etc. but I don't remember Peyton looking too hot at all. They ran the ball well at times, he had a few nice drives and the Pats turned it over a million times in the first half.

Overall that game was pretty sloppy from both teams until the Pats got on the hot streak.

Here's the deal though. Peyton going into this game Sunday we all know will have studied the Pats defense from every game this season and will even know the birthdates and hobbies from each player on the roster. He will know their defense backwards, forwards and in several different languages. BUT, in typical Pats fashion there will likely be some new wrinkles involved that nobody will predict.

So overall we have to see Sunday what Hoodie throws out that is new with any area of that team. Whether John Fox has the brains to do the same remains to be seen as well.

Brady only didnt do well to start totally his # were quite good below for stats

I don't know the numbers of each QB and I am too lazy to look them up but you say Brady did not do well. Well.....his team did lead the giant comeback and Brady was a large part of this. He played better then Manning did IMO. Maybe it was the wind or the cold or whatever etc. but I don't remember Peyton looking too hot at all. They ran the ball well at times, he had a few nice drives and the Pats turned it over a million times in the first half.

Overall that game was pretty sloppy from both teams until the Pats got on the hot streak.

Here's the deal though. Peyton going into this game Sunday we all know will have studied the Pats defense from every game this season and will even know the birthdates and hobbies from each player on the roster. He will know their defense backwards, forwards and in several different languages. BUT, in typical Pats fashion there will likely be some new wrinkles involved that nobody will predict.

So overall we have to see Sunday what Hoodie throws out that is new with any area of that team. Whether John Fox has the brains to do the same remains to be seen as well.

AOL posted them today & all games

Patriots 34, Broncos 31, OT

When: Nov. 24, 2013, at New England

Stage: Regular season (Week 12)

Brady: 34-of-50, 344 yards, 3 TDs

Manning: 19-of-36, 150 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT

Signature moment: Wes Welker, brought over from New England in the offseason, failed to field a punt in overtime that resulted in a Patriots' fumble recovery. Stephen Gostkowski then kicks the game-winning 31-yard field goal.

Fallout: The Broncos managed to get home-field advantage behind Manning, who set NFL records with 5,477 passing yards and 55 TDs.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-01-13/nfl-playoffs-peyton-manning-tom-brady-records-history-matchups-super-bowl-broncos-patriots-colts

also this I dont like

Brady is 7-0 against NFL defenses guided by Jack Del Rio

Brady has completed 171-of-235 passes (73 percent) for 1,771 yards, 17 touchdowns and zero interceptions. That's a passer rating of 121.1 against Del Rio

Read more: Tom Brady is 7-0 against NFL defenses guided by Jack Del Rio - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24930406/tom-brady-is-7-0-against-nfl-defenses#ixzz2qeQZvqhL

Take care enjoy the game, Weather still great, busy and leaving,    .. Go Peyton

Read more: Tom Brady is 7-0 against NFL defenses guided by Jack Del Rio - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24930406/tom-brady-is-7-0-against-nfl-defenses#ixzz2qeQLhPeO

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24930406/tom-brady-is-7-0-against-nfl-defenses

Right now, weather prediction is 58 and Sunny, and low winds on Sunday ~ so weather is not going to be a concern for either team.

I will undoubtedly miss the first Quarter of the game and will have to DVR it.  (I will be attending a Birthday Party :party:  at Chucky Cheese ~ someone shoot me Now)   :panic:  :trout:  t-h-u-d     haha

I expect it to be another one for the Ages,  Go Peyton,  Go Broncos....  Bring Home the Win this year.   

in 7 games Brady vs. Del Rio , brady undefeated,  --

((  see second article after, link far below  for lifetime stats, , 1 tidbit, QB rating lifetime Vs JDL is 121.1 & no IT's )) so no Harruis is a big point no matter the WR availble, just like second half comback this year when no Cromaartie

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has thrived against defenses coached by Jack Del Rio, now the Broncos' defensive coordinator:

charts easier  in article

REGULAR SEASON

Season--- Team --Score----------- Comp. Att. -----Yards ----TDs Int. Rating

2003* Jacksonville W, 27-13 ----------- 22 34 -------228--------- 2 -----0 -------103.6

2006* Jacksonville W, 24-21 ------------28 39 -------249 --------1 -----0 -------97.1

2009*Jacksonville  W, 35-7 ------------- 23 26 -------267-------- 4---- 0------ 149.0

2012# Denver------ W, 31-21----------  23 31 --------223--------- 1--- 0------ 104.6

2013# Denver ------W, 34-31 (OT)----- 34 50 --------344--------- 3 ----0----- 107.4

PLAYOFFS

Season Team --------Score-------- Comp. Att.------- Yards----- TDs Int.---- Rating

2005* Jacksonville -----W, 28-3------ 15 27 --------------201 --------3--- 0 ----116.4

2007* Jacksonville -----W, 31-20 -----26 28 -------------262 --------3 -----0---- 141.4

Totals   Record:------------ 7-0 -------171 235-0-------- 1,771 -----17----- 0 -----121.1

* Del Rio as Jacksonville's head coach

# Del Rio as Denver's defensive coordinator

Read more: Tom Brady is 7-0 against NFL defenses guided by Jack Del Rio - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24930406/tom-brady-is-7-0-against-nfl-defenses#ixzz2qfwLTaTM 

Brady LIFETIME STATS VS DEL RIO 

Brady has completed 171-of-235 passes (73 percent) for 1,771 yards, 17 touchdowns and zero interceptions. That's a passer rating of 121.1 against Del Rio

Read more: Tom Brady is 7-0 against NFL defenses guided by Jack Del Rio - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz2qeQZvqhL

I am interested to see how Denver defends the Pats as well. They said on the radio today that in the 5 games that Brady has played a Del Rio defense and this goes back to 2007 when he was HC of Jacksonville and the last four games vs Denver, Brady has a 75 percent completion percentage, 17 TDs and 0 picks. Those numbers are staggering. I have to think the Pats pass given the secondary issues of the Broncos but then again Brady does not have the same weapons anymore although getting Dobson back could be big for this game.

Brady vs. Del Rio , brady undefeated, 

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has thrived against defenses coached by Jack Del Rio, now the Broncos' defensive coordinator:

REGULAR SEASON Season Team Score Comp. Att. Yards TDs Int. Rating 2003* Jacksonville W, 27-13 22 34 228 2 0 103.6 2006* Jacksonville W, 24-21 28 39 249 1 0 97.1 2009* Jacksonville W, 35-7 23 26 267 4 0 149.0 2012# Denver W, 31-21 23 31 223 1 0 104.6 2013# Denver W, 34-31 (OT) 34 50 344 3 0 107.4 PLAYOFFS

Season Team Score Comp. Att. Yards TDs Int. Rating 2005* Jacksonville W, 28-3 15 27 201 3 0 116.4 2007* Jacksonville W, 31-20 26 28 262 3 0 141.4 Totals   Record: 7-0 171 235 1,771 17 0 121.1 * Del Rio as Jacksonville's head coach

# Del Rio as Denver's defensive coordinator

Read more: Tom Brady is 7-0 against NFL defenses guided by Jack Del Rio - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24930406/tom-brady-is-7-0-against-nfl-defenses#ixzz2qfwLTaTM 

Brady LIFETIME STATS VS DEL RIO 

Read more: Tom Brady is 7-0 against NFL defenses guided by Jack Del Rio - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz2qeQZvqhL

Thanks for the stats Barry. I am not sure why there has not been more talk of how Brady performs so well vs Del Rio's D and the fact that Denver is undermanned as well in the secondary. It may be because Brady's weapons are not as good this season but still those stats are impressive.

Thanks for the stats Barry. I am not sure why there has not been more talk of how Brady performs so well vs Del Rio's D and the fact that Denver is undermanned as well in the secondary. It may be because Brady's weapons are not as good this season but still those stats are impressive.

i edited and fixed thev charts much better but article still shows best

Yes it may not be peyton Vs Brady, But Brady  / BB  Vs Del Rio, & thats as saaid is 1 reason Harris was important - , just like second half comback this year when no Cromaartie & Brady lit it up

or as Jeff Saturday said

it will be won in the trnches

here is Jeff Saturday on the gme and thats it from me 

on Manning-Brady: “This game will not be decided by those guys”

ultimately the front sevens of both these squads, and the rushing attacks on both teams, will decide the fate of this football game. Who will be able to stop the line and who’s able to make each team go one dimensional?”

Saturday had a couple other fascinating quotes

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/01/16/espn-analyst-on-manning-brady-this-game-will-not-be-decided-by-those-guys/25241/

I am gone here now , will DVR game have ggo day , I am jus to beat , amazed was even able to post minimally today

I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos' O do the same thing that the Patriots' O will try to do, and win the time of possession.

Its a myth that Manning didn't play well at NE.....remember...NE won on a fumbled punt

...He took what the NE defense gave him which was 280 yards rushing....NE cant let that happen in Denver

I don't think NE, with the personell they have...can contain all 4 Denver receivers and stop the run, too . They have to make a choice or multiple choices

But you're right that they'll have  a second half defense that's a little different from the defense they begin the game with...

No one has stopped Denver at full strength....and all of Denver's injuries are on defense

It just stacks up as a high scoring game...There's a lot of young skill players here who could blow up but there aren't a lot of scenarios where either side stops the other

Its a myth that Manning didn't play well at NE.....remember...NE won on a fumbled punt

...He took what the NE defense gave him which was 280 yards rushing....NE cant let that happen in Denver

I don't think NE, with the personell they have...can contain all 4 Denver receivers and stop the run, too . They have to make a choice or multiple choices

But you're right that they'll have  a second half defense that's a little different from the defense they begin the game with...

No one has stopped Denver at full strength....and all of Denver's injuries are on defense

It just stacks up as a high scoring game...There's a lot of young skill players here who could blow up but there aren't a lot of scenarios where either side stops the other

In the second half and OT, the Pats defense only allowed 7 points. The Pats secondary was not playing as well as it is now or its Dline.  And of course the Pats run game was non-existent in the Nov game as well as both Ridley and Blount were benched in the first quarter for fumbling.

While I don't think you can take a lot from the Nov game as it was six weeks ago, this Pats team is every different from that one on both sides of the ball. And while Denver's O gets a boost from having Julius Thomas for this game, their D took big hits losing Miller who had a monster game in Nov and Harris.