Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Perfect Colts Draft

What is your perfect Colts draft for 2014?

Because of the Richardson trade and other moves the Colts only have 5 picks in this years draft. But a starter and a difference maker can be found in any round.

The Colts have needs pretty much everywhere on Defense (DLine, Safety, Cornerback, ILB, Pass Rush), as well as fortifying a solid offensive line. Just a matter of figuring out what need is more important than another, fixing it, and being able to look at your draft as one that has players that could have a tremendous impact on the team.

As of right now this is my perfect Colts draft:

2. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State

3. Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State

5. Ross Cockrell, CB, Duke

6. Deandre Coleman, DT, Cal

7. Preston Brown, ILB, Louisville 

All of these players likely won't fall to each of the Colts draft positions, and to be able to sure up 5 different positions, each with quality players isn't very realistic. But it's now the offseason, I can dream right?

Resign: Vontae, McAfee Cut: Satele, Toler

Sign: Brian De la Puente C, Donald Butler ILB

Draft

2. Bradley Roby, CB, 5'11 195 lbs, Ohio State
3. Daquan Jones, DE, 6'3 320 lbs, Penn State 
5. Beau Allen, NT, 6'3 330 lbs, Wisconsin
6. Tevin Mcdonald, FS, 5'11 195 lbs, Eastern Michigan
7. Ben Malena, RB, 5'8 195 lbs, Texas A&M 

My perfect draft involves acquiring two or three extra picks for the 2015 draft. The 2015 draft will be LOADED at wide receiver. Among the receivers that will likely be there: Amari Cooper (Alabama), Dorial Beckham-Green (Missouri), Stefon Diggs (Maryland), and Jaelen Strong (Arizona State). These are elite level wide receivers. Acquiring a couple extra picks gives us the ammunition to trade up.

Additional rationale for this strategy is the salary cap space we have. We can improve by adding some free agents, and I am actually optimistic about our offensive line given their strong performance to finish the year.

Trades I would look at:

1.) Trade back with Atlanta: get Atlanta's 4th rounder and 2nd rounder in 2015 [Any team works, but I could see Atlanta making a trade like this]

2.) Trade back with our third rounder with a team like the New York Jets for their 2014 4th round pick and their 2015 4th round pick.

3.) Seriously entertain trading one of the subsequent 4th round picks for a 3rd round pick in 2015 [The Panthers made a trade like this in 2012 and the Steelers did this in 2013]

Subsequent Draft

4.) Telvin Smith OLB Florida State --- projects to SS, think of Kam Chancellor

5.) Boseko Lokombo LB Oregon --- with no Angerer or Connor, we need some linebacker depth

6.) Billy Turner OT North Dakota State --- solid prospect that immediately upgrades the depth of the line

7.) AC Leonard TE Tennessee State --- Tennessee transfer with legal issues, has potential similar to Da'Rick Rogers if he can keep his nose clean

This scenario gives us an extra 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in 2015. I anticipate at a minimum picking in the 20's so the extra picks give us some ammunition to move up or add more quality depth.

First, IMO, we do not need to draft a WR.  Want to give our WRs another year after what I seen this year.

Second, I agree about getting rid of Toler.  Not so much about his play, but about his injury history.  Was not impressed with V. Davis, IMO only deserves a 1year around $5 mil with incentives for another $2 mil.

Now my perfect draft:

Rd 2: Yawin Smallwood ILB, U. Conn

Rd 3: a: Keith McGill CB, 6' 2", 205 lbs, Utah

b: Aaron Colvin CB, 6', 181 lbs, Oklahoma

Rd 5: Sean Parker, Safety, 5' 10", 190 lbs, U. of Washingto

Rd 6: DeAndre Coleman DT, 6' 5", 320 lbs, U. of Cal

Rd 7:  I am still undecided

UDFAs:  Jordan Zumwait ILB, 6' 4", 235 lbs, UCLA

D. J. Coles WR, 6' 3", 235 lbs, Virg Tech

2. Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford

3. Keith McGill, CB, Utah

5. La'damien Washington, WR, Missouri

6. Alden Darby, S, Arizona St.

7. Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin

Skov has stood out to me in every game I have watched of his, he may not be the best in coverage, but he can be a run stuffer and help get after the QB.

McGill is a big physical corner and could help with depth incase of injury.

Washington is a big WR and also had plenty of potential, would be another quality WR to add.

Darby and Allen could potentially both add some quality depth to our team.

Dont particularly like the Skov pick but I like him much better then Chase Thomas, I think he will get picked on in coverage, He does time his blitzes well(quick first step) but sometimes tackles to high and gets stood up, Excellent at reading plays and reacting , Excellent pursuit skills, I think he is a bit slow to breakdown on plays at times, If he was projected to go in the 3rd-4th I'd like it better....as it is I dont like him as our first pick (2nd round)

Small favor please?

When you list names like that, please include position, and, if you can, their school.

Makes researching them much, much easier.

Thanks! :thmup:

Okay that's fine. In which case:

2. Allen Robinson-WR-Penn State

3.Shayne Skov- IlB-Stanford

5.Sean Parker- S- Washington

6. John Urschel- OG-Penn State

7. Corneilus Lucas- OT-Kansas State

Thought I might aswell replace Burnette with Urschel.

2. Jarvis Landry - WR - LSU - 6'0", 195, better blocker than a lot give him credit for, and will fit our system real well, can play outside and inside

3. Shayne Skov - ILB - Stanford - 6'3", 245

5. Andre Hal - CB - Vanderbilt, 5'11", 186, one of the best cover corners in FBS, would be a steal here

6.  Brandon Thomas - OG/OT - Clemson, 6'3", 315

7. Ty Zimmerman - FS - Kansas State, 6'1", 204, if Bethea leaves, he has the range and we can put Landry in the box

2. Jarvis Landry - WR - LSU - 6'0", 195, better blocker than a lot give him credit for, and will fit our system real well, can play outside and inside

3. Shayne Skov - ILB - Stanford - 6'3", 245

5. Andre Hal - CB - Vanderbilt, 5'11", 186, one of the best cover corners in FBS, would be a steal here

6.  Brandon Thomas - OG/OT - Clemson, 6'3", 315

7. Ty Zimmerman - FS - Kansas State, 6'1", 204, if Bethea leaves, he has the range and we can put Landry in the box

I know there's a debate between if we should take a WR with our first pick or not but I like Landry enough to the point where if this draft were to happen, I believe Grigson will have made up trading for T-Rich(which of course I hope he pans out).  

2014 Mock Post Post Season Non-Victory to that team out east...

2. Dominique Easley DL or Kyle Van Noy OLB or DaQuan Jones DL

3. Travis Swanson C or David Yankey G 

5. Tyler Larson C or Jean-Baptiste CB

6. Prince Shembo or Chaz Sutton OLB

7. Cairo Santos K

*Would entertain trade 2nd and Richardson for Sammy Watkins...which then would make the draft.

1. Watkins WR

3. Swanson C/G

5/6. Larson C or Jean-Baptist CB

6/5 Shembo or Sutton OLB

7. Santos K

2014 Mock Post Post Season Non-Victory to that team out east...

2. Dominique Easley DL or Kyle Van Noy OLB or DaQuan Jones DL

3. Travis Swanson C or David Yankey G 

5. Tyler Larson C or Jean-Baptiste CB

6. Prince Shembo or Chaz Sutton OLB

7. Cairo Santos K

*Would entertain trade 2nd and Richardson for Sammy Watkins...which then would make the draft.

1. Watkins WR

3. Swanson C/G

5/6. Larson C or Jean-Baptist CB

6/5 Shembo or Sutton OLB

7. Santos K

I can guarantee you that no team wants Trent Richardson. Our best hope is that he somehow improves going into next season.

I just hope we do not trade our first round pick in 2015 to move up or acquire an extra second round pick.

I can guarantee you that no team wants Trent Richardson. Our best hope is that he somehow improves going into next season.

I just hope we do not trade our first round pick in 2015 to move up or acquire an extra second round pick.

I hope Grigson and the FO take the approach of trying to aquire as many picks they can each year and in the top half of the draft, by developing and trading young talent and trading down considering you can find great talent anywhere in the draft. Rather than trading away picks as constantly as they have

I hope Grigson and the FO take the approach of trying to aquire as many picks they can each year and in the top half of the draft, by developing and trading young talent and trading down considering you can find great talent anywhere in the draft. Rather than trading away picks as constantly as they have

I agree 110%! I really feel it is in our best interest to try and acquire a couple extra picks for the 2015 draft. It will be a great draft for wide receivers. There should be four or five elite level wide receivers in next year's draft.

I think the Patriots best epitomize this approach. Trading back and acquiring extra picks helps you build quality depth.

Small favor please?

When you list names like that,  please include position,  and, if you can,  their school.

Makes researching them much,  much easier.

Thanks!      :thmup:

Hey NCF, I have a quick question that I was hoping you could answer. I know your a Stanford guy and I've always respected your analysis on players.

Ok, so I've watched alot of Shayne Skov and think he is exactly what the Colts need at ILB, he has made a difference in every game I've watched him in. But my problem is not alot of people on here like him and say he's too slow, I've never thought that anytime I've watched him. Can you help explain to me what I guess I'm missing? I understand he's too slow to drop back against some TE's, but its not like he's a liability, and I think Freeman would do a better job in coverage anyways and Skov would be more the run stopper and blitzer that we desperatly need from the ILB spot. Thanks.

Hey NCF, I have a quick question that I was hoping you could answer. I know your a Stanford guy and I've always respected your analysis on players.

Ok, so I've watched alot of Shayne Skov and think he is exactly what the Colts need at ILB, he has made a difference in every game I've watched him in. But my problem is not alot of people on here like him and say he's too slow, I've never thought that anytime I've watched him. Can you help explain to me what I guess I'm missing? I understand he's too slow to drop back against some TE's, but its not like he's a liability, and I think Freeman would do a better job in coverage anyways and Skov would be more the run stopper and blitzer that we desperatly need from the ILB spot. Thanks.

Apologies in advance...  but here is my way, way too long response.

If you saw Shayne Skov in the 2011 Orange Bowl vs. Virginia Tech you'd have no doubt about his speed or athletic ability.

He was a low 1st, high 2nd round pick waiting to happen.

But....

In the 3rd of 4th game of the following year,  he suffered a devastating knee injury.   His father told me the doctors told him that it was one of the five worst knee injuries he had ever dealt with.     Took 3 different surgeries over a span of about 3-4 months to put Shayne's knee back together again.  Ligaments, cartilage and bone.   Oh, and there was an infection, too!

He's not been the same player -- at least,  athletically.

And, as a result, he's had to compensate for a leg that doesn't let him react the way his mind wants it to.

Shayne played well in 2012.    But clearly favored the leg.

Shayne played much better in 2013,  and favored the leg much, much less.    But while he's not back to 100%, he's much closer than he was.    I think he'll continue to get better and healthier -- at least, as far as his knee is concerned.

He struggles in pass coverage.   He often comes out on obvious passing downs...   but he's a rock against the run, and he's a very, very good blitzer from an inside linebacker spot.  

One poster here wonders if he could be an OLB.    I'm confident the answer is no.   He's just not anything enough to play outside.    Not fast enough, quick enough, athletic enough,  anything enough.    But, he's  6'2 1'2 and roughly 245, so he's big enough to play the middle in the NFL.

He's tough and smart.  

The question becomes where do you draft him?  

The projections I've seen are somewhere between the mid-2nd to roughly mid/low 3rd.  Perhaps somewhere between 50-85.

My favorite part of Shayne is that he's a leader.   Teammates gravitate to him.   He holds himself and teammates accountable.  He's the one in the locker-room that will give the fire breathing speech.   And it's real.   It's not crazy Ray Lewis stuff....

So, he'd be great in the Colts locker room.

The bottom line is what doctors will say?    How is his knee?    Some doctors will clear him.    Some will red-flag him.   Others, somewhere in the middle.    And, obviously, I don't know what any doctor will say...   it's all up to them,  and different doctors will see the same thing....   differently.

Apologies again for such a long response....     as you can tell, I can get carried away on my Stanford boys!

Apologies in advance...  but here is my way, way too long response.

If you saw Shayne Skov in the 2011 Orange Bowl vs. Virginia Tech you'd have no doubt about his speed or athletic ability.

He was a low 1st, high 2nd round pick waiting to happen.

But....

In the 3rd of 4th game of the following year,  he suffered a devastating knee injury.   His father told me the doctors told him that it was one of the five worst knee injuries he had ever dealt with.     Took 3 different surgeries over a span of about 3-4 months to put Shayne's knee back together again.  Ligaments, cartilage and bone.   Oh, and there was an infection, too!

He's not been the same player -- at least,  athletically.

And, as a result, he's had to compensate for a leg that doesn't let him react the way his mind wants it to.

Shayne played well in 2012.    But clearly favored the leg.

Shayne played much better in 2013,  and favored the leg much, much less.    But while he's not back to 100%, he's much closer than he was.    I think he'll continue to get better and healthier -- at least, as far as his knee is concerned.

He struggles in pass coverage.   He often comes out on obvious passing downs...   but he's a rock against the run, and he's a very, very good blitzer from an inside linebacker spot.  

One poster here wonders if he could be an OLB.    I'm confident the answer is no.   He's just not anything enough to play outside.    Not fast enough, quick enough, athletic enough,  anything enough.    But, he's  6'2 1'2 and roughly 245, so he's big enough to play the middle in the NFL.

He's tough and smart.  

The question becomes where do you draft him?  

The projections I've seen are somewhere between the mid-2nd to roughly mid/low 3rd.  Perhaps somewhere between 50-85.

My favorite part of Shayne is that he's a leader.   Teammates gravitate to him.   He holds himself and teammates accountable.  He's the one in the locker-room that will give the fire breathing speech.   And it's real.   It's not crazy Ray Lewis stuff....

So, he'd be great in the Colts locker room.

The bottom line is what doctors will say?    How is his knee?    Some doctors will clear him.    Some will red-flag him.   Others, somewhere in the middle.    And, obviously, I don't know what any doctor will say...   it's all up to them,  and different doctors will see the same thing....   differently.

Apologies again for such a long response....     as you can tell, I can get carried away on my Stanford boys!

Thanks NCF! I do appreciate it.

So to me the bottom of the second is good value for him, and in your opinion do you think he'd be a good pairing next to Freeman?

Here is my perfect Colts draft...

Round 2 Pick 26: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State (A)
Round 3 Pick 27 (N.O.): Victor Hampton, CB, South Carolina (A)
Round 4 Pick 27 (N.O.): George Uko, DE, Southern California (A)
Round 5 Pick 26: Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (B)
Round 6 Pick 26: Deandre Coleman, DT, California (B+)
Round 7 Pick 16: Gabe Ikard, C, Oklahoma (B+)

In free agency we solve issues at OL, ILB, and NT. (Options include Donald Butler, Alex Mack, Paul Soliai)

Thanks NCF! I do appreciate it.

So to me the bottom of the second is good value for him, and in your opinion do you think he'd be a good pairing next to Freeman?

Honestly,  while I love me some Shayne Skov,  I'm not a big fan of spending a 1 or a 2 on the position of ILB.

I'd prefer to spend a 3 or a 4 or a 5 to fill the slot.    I'm just not sure Shayne will be there when our 3rd round pick will come up which should be right around 90.    I'd prefer to spend our 2nd round pick either on a difference making/pass rushing DL,  or a CB.

But that may be just me?

That said, I do think he'd be a good pairing with Freeman.