Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you think the Colts should do this off-season? [Merge]

colts_100nascar17fan

Posted this in another thread...

1. New O-Line

2. Better players on D (Mathis, Redding, Freeman, Bethea the only exceptions).

3. For our running backs (Ballard, Brown, Maybe Bradshaw)anyone to be healthy so we can be done with Trent (Nothing to do with this game. Trent just is what he is).

4. New D Coordinator

5. Health. That may have been as big a problem as any.

6. I wish we could get a new coaching staff in general but that won't be happening so no point discussing it.

Bethea is not an exception ... if anything he is one of the biggest problems.

1. New O-Line

3. For our running backs (Ballard, Brown, Maybe Bradshaw)anyone to be healthy so we can be done with Trent (Nothing to do with this game. Trent just is what he is).

4. New D Coordinator

6. I wish we could get a new coaching staff in general but that won't be happening so no point discussing it.

Really? A whole new coaching staff? After 2 11-win seasons? I cant support that.

There are too many threads on this board that begin and end with non-sense. So to any and all people that want to have a genuine discussion (NOT A FIRE EVERYONE PANIC) about the off-season, this is a place where we can start.

Let me start by saying, although I am disappointed with the Pats game, we all have to come to terms with a very simple truth; We were playing with house money all season, more-so after losing Reggie.

We spent the entire pre-season building a two-TE based offense that would feature Dwayne Allen and a power running scheme (that was also based off of Dwayne Allen's blocking ability). We lost Vick Ballard, who looked to really blossom this year. We lost Ahmad Bradshaw, who spent the pre-season really learning our offense. So we were left will a talented but ill-prepared Trent Richardson, and a great running, but poor blocking RB in Donald Brown. 

One of or big free-agent O-line signings, Donald Thomas was lost after a few games, and in come's rookie Hugh Thorton, who has tried very hard all year, but was clearly not ready to start. This only compounded our problems on the line. We have good tackles but poor guards and centers. They played well at times, but for the most part (even when the stats didnt show sacks, they gave up too much pressure) they were sub-standard. 

Then we lose our most reliable play maker on offense in Reggie. His importance obviously cannot be overlooked. So now we have a weakened offense, to go along with our already poor defense.

Overall, I feel like we have a very strong foundation to build on. Next year will be all about the polish.

My number one off-season priority will for sure be upgrading the offensive line. New Center and RG for sure. I want to see these spots filled by VETERAN/ALREADY PROVEN players, NOT rookies. As far as Left Guard goes, im unsure. Is Thomas the answer? I dont know.

On defense, Cornerback, Linebacker, and D-line are musts. The way NE was able to run ALL OVER us, even when we KNEW they were gonna run is mind boggling to me. I still dont understand where the breakdown came from.

But I say we sign at least a RG and C on offense. I would like to sign another corner and maybe a DE to go with Cory.

Im not sure which positions we should draft and which positions we should sign (I guess it kinda depends on what players will be available to us in the draft).

As for the coaches, I DO NOT think we should fire Pep. Give him another year. As for Manusky.........I dont know how I feel. Depends on which coaches are availble I guess.

I would like to hear your thoughts as well. Let's keep it civil and realistic please.

I agree with a lot you said and the offense was hit hard with injury. Pep should keep his job. I believe our main focus this offseason should be getting coverage linebackers for Manusky's system because he seems intent on playing linebackers on wide receivers. Fans need to be realistic in our offseason plans. Do you know how hard it is to improve all the weaknesses we have. 30 million and a few draft picks aren't going to fix all the positions you mentioned.

Nice breakdown.

My offense wishline is:

Replace Satele and McGlynn with a couple of veterans,unless Holmes is ready to be the center.  Then just the right guard position.  I am assuming Thornton will get better, but it doesn't hurt to have 3 guards who can start.

Get another WR.  I hope Da'Rick can develop and I like what Brazil did, but we still need a true #1 or 1A to replace Reggie when he is dead.

RB, I actually think we are fine at. I think Brown (I hope we resign), Richardson, and Ballard are three pretty good RBs.  They just need a line to block for them.

Defensively, I think what is a big discouraging about the defense is that we have a few players there who supposed to be good on the line.  Redding and Jean-Francias cost some bucks. And were just blown off the ball.  The secondary seems a bit slow.  I do hope Werner can come on as it is a big adjustment to switch positions, but he did next to nothing this year.

I actually wish we would get a different defensive coordinator.   I didn't like Manusky in SF or SD and I don't like him here.  He wasn't their first choice and I think they can do better. I don't like his game calling.  I would love to see Wade Phillips be brought in because you know he is a good DC who will never get another HC job.

Defensive line should be the #1 priority going into Off season. This is by far the worse defensive line that the Colts have ever had during Irsay tenure. It's been this way all year 26th in run defense and can't pressure the QB. Didn't like the RJF signing he was nothing more then a 4th string DE. We have to get a whole new defensive line if were ever gonna want to stop the run.

impressive.jpg

1. New O-Lineman (A  PROVEN Center and Guards Need to be brought in)
2. A few PLAYMAKERS on D 
3. New D Coordinator DEPENDING ON WHO IS OUT THERE...WADE PHILLIPS  :highfive2: 
Some players with attitude and swag to give this team an edge. I thought we had it one game at San Fran but that was just smoke because they never came close to matching that performance 

I agree with a lot you said and the offense was hit hard with injury. Pep should keep his job. I believe our main focus this offseason should be getting coverage linebackers for Manusky's system because he seems intent on playing linebackers on wide receivers. Fans need to be realistic in our offseason plans. Do you know how hard it is to improve all the weaknesses we have. 30 million and a few draft picks aren't going to fix all the positions you mentioned.

Honestly, there are major holes, but not TOO many. If we shore up the O-line and add a piece or 2 on D, we could end up playing like a whole new team.

think pep ok  he a green rookie in nfl  . he get a pass  for 3 years , New D Coordinator yes if we can get wade Phillips . need center  and rg   we have worst in nfl  too espn 2014 fa . that fix are o,line  . defense need a exp pass rusher help Mathis a lot them in 2014 free agency too pick from . cb and ss must moved Werner ilb .

Nice breakdown.

My offense wishline is:

Replace Satele and McGlynn with a couple of veterans,unless Holmes is ready to be the center.  Then just the right guard position.  I am assuming Thornton will get better, but it doesn't hurt to have 3 guards who can start.

Get another WR.  I hope Da'Rick can develop and I like what Brazil did, but we still need a true #1 or 1A to replace Reggie when he is dead.

RB, I actually think we are fine at. I think Brown (I hope we resign), Richardson, and Ballard are three pretty good RBs.  They just need a line to block for them.

Defensively, I think what is a big discouraging about the defense is that we have a few players there who supposed to be good on the line.  Redding and Jean-Francias cost some bucks. And were just blown off the ball.  The secondary seems a bit slow.  I do hope Werner can come on as it is a big adjustment to switch positions, but he did next to nothing this year.

I actually wish we would get a different defensive coordinator.   I didn't like Manusky in SF or SD and I don't like him here.  He wasn't their first choice and I think they can do better. I don't like his game calling.  I would love to see Wade Phillips be brought in because you know he is a good DC who will never get another HC job.

1. New O-Lineman (A  PROVEN Center and Guards Need to be brought in)

2. A few PLAYMAKERS on D 

3. New D Coordinator DEPENDING ON WHO IS OUT THERE...WADE PHILLIPS  :highfive2: 

Some players with attitude and swag to give this team an edge. I thought we had it one game at San Fran but that was just smoke because they never came close to matching that performance 

Wade scares me a little after the collapse of the Texans this year.

1. New O-Line

4. New D Coordinator

I don't know if we need to completely overhaul the o-line but I agree it needs work.  We need to do something at Center (get ready to rip your hair out) Satele will be the third highest paid player on the offense next year under his current deal.  Sorry not worth it.  I'd rather re-sign McGlynn and move him to center and release Satele outright than have him as our center for another year but I'd really rather get another center in free agency.  Thomas should be back and played well before getting hurt but you would also hope Thorton takes a step forward and can move into the right guard spot.  GC is a lock at right tackle and Castonzo is going into the last year of his deal.  I think they'll let him play that out and then decided next off-season if they need a new left tackle or re-sgin Castonzo. 

I agree we need to find more play makers on defense.  I don't know what you do with Davis.  He is clearly our best cornerback but honestly I am not sure he's going to be worth the kind of the money he's going to demand as a free agent and I am not crazy about tagging him either.  We are going to have to do something at MLB as I don't think Angerer or Conner will be back.  I hope Werner will go back to making progress like he was doing towards the end of the season but he completely disappeared in the playoffs.  On the d-line we need to find a big heavy DT.  I think Cody out of Baltimore might be a good option.  As for the rest of the secondary it starts with what do you do with Bethea do you bring him back or do you let him go.  I am not a big fan of Landry but I don't know if we part ways with him after one year and the rest of the corners are just kinda average.  That's the biggest issue with the defense as a whole outside of Freeman and Mathis I think you have a bunch of solid guys and no one the other team truly fears other than the two I just mentioned. 

I am excited to get Ballard back as what I really liked form him was that when he hit a pile he always fell forward and got an extra yard or two.  I am for bringing Brown back if we can get him on the right contract but some other team might be willing to over pay for him and Grigson might not offer him we'll see.  We aren't going to give up on Trent after one year.  We gave up way too much to get him without giving him a shot to play under a whole off-season of workouts.

We aren't going to fire Manusky. 

Just think about how much better the offense is going to be just to get Thomas, Ballard, Allen, and Wayne back. 

We aren't going to fire Pagano.  Like you said it's not worth discussing because it's not going to happen nor should it.  Two years ago this team was 2-14 and looking at a three to four year rebuilding project.  They have come in and gone 11-5 in back-to-back years and made the playoffs both years including winning the division and winning a playoff game this year (something it took Peyton Manning four attempts and six years to do).  They are a head of schedule right now and rather fans realize it tonight or not took a step forward this year.  I know it's bitter to see the season end and only that more bitter to see it end to New England but this was a good year this year.  You don't fire coaches after good years. 

look we do not have all the pieces in place yet talent wise. Firing the coaches doesn't fix the talent......we have holes we need to fill .    keep the defense off the field would help . they played way too much this year as our offense was very inconsistent this year

What should we do with the running game? We now have Ballard back, Brown and Richardson. I doubt they will resign Bradshaw although he was a monster in that niners game as his injuries are a turnoff. Maybe trading Brown for some O-line help? 

Brown is a FA and won't be back unless its on the cheap

What should we do with the running game? We now have Ballard back, Brown and Richardson. I doubt they will resign Bradshaw although he was a monster in that niners game as his injuries are a turnoff. Maybe trading Brown for some O-line help? 

Brown is actually a free agent, so we dont for sure have him. 

Really? A whole new coaching staff? After 2 11-win seasons? I cant support that.

That's fine. I'm not discrediting Pagano and what we've accomplished at all.

I hated when we hired him and I truly think at times he seems almost clueless. He's clearly done at least a decent job if not more. I'm just not sold that he's truly a good coach.

There are too many threads on this board that begin and end with non-sense. So to any and all people that want to have a genuine discussion (NOT A FIRE EVERYONE PANIC) about the off-season, this is a place where we can start.

Let me start by saying, although I am disappointed with the Pats game, we all have to come to terms with a very simple truth; We were playing with house money all season, more-so after losing Reggie.

We spent the entire pre-season building a two-TE based offense that would feature Dwayne Allen and a power running scheme (that was also based off of Dwayne Allen's blocking ability). We lost Vick Ballard, who looked to really blossom this year. We lost Ahmad Bradshaw, who spent the pre-season really learning our offense. So we were left will a talented but ill-prepared Trent Richardson, and a great running, but poor blocking RB in Donald Brown. 

One of or big free-agent O-line signings, Donald Thomas was lost after a few games, and in come's rookie Hugh Thorton, who has tried very hard all year, but was clearly not ready to start. This only compounded our problems on the line. We have good tackles but poor guards and centers. They played well at times, but for the most part (even when the stats didnt show sacks, they gave up too much pressure) they were sub-standard. 

Then we lose our most reliable play maker on offense in Reggie. His importance obviously cannot be overlooked. So now we have a weakened offense, to go along with our already poor defense.

Overall, I feel like we have a very strong foundation to build on. Next year will be all about the polish.

My number one off-season priority will for sure be upgrading the offensive line. New Center and RG for sure. I want to see these spots filled by VETERAN/ALREADY PROVEN players, NOT rookies. As far as Left Guard goes, im unsure. Is Thomas the answer? I dont know.

On defense, Cornerback, Linebacker, and D-line are musts. The way NE was able to run ALL OVER us, even when we KNEW they were gonna run is mind boggling to me. I still dont understand where the breakdown came from.

But I say we sign at least a RG and C on offense. I would like to sign another corner and maybe a DE to go with Cory.

Im not sure which positions we should draft and which positions we should sign (I guess it kinda depends on what players will be available to us in the draft).

As for the coaches, I DO NOT think we should fire Pep. Give him another year. As for Manusky.........I dont know how I feel. Depends on which coaches are availble I guess.

I would like to hear your thoughts as well. Let's keep it civil and realistic please.

A DE that we should target is Greg Hardy of Carolina. He had a whopping 15 sacks this season. If he can create trouble for the QB that gives Mathis a greater opportunity to keep on making plays. If Carolina doesn't tag him, he's a must add

posted in another thread

I think we are a few players away from being able to fully play the type of D we are looking to play. I hope we look at brining in a RG and C in FA. draft a versatile OL in the draft. A big safety as i stated in another thread thats borderline LB size or we look at some of these LB coming out that has Safety experience to play on opposing TEs

IMO try and get a center through FA if not move RG to Center and pick up another guard, I believe the RB and WR positions are solid and will be better in their 3rd season. The defense really needs a couple of big DE to help stop the run, Iam going to give the CB and safties a pass due to the fact they are unable to cover receivers if their is no pressure on the opposing QB. Hopefully werner gets better learning his position. And sorry for this but the DC did nothing for me this year not at all happy with his game planning this year and the playoffs was a absolute shambles.   

posted in another thread

I think we are a few players away from being able to fully play the type of D we are looking to play. I hope we look at brining in a RG and C in FA. draft a versatile OL in the draft. A big safety as i stated in another thread thats borderline LB size or we look at some of these LB coming out that has Safety experience to play on opposing TEs

The biggest safety name on the market is Jairus Byrd of Buffalo who has had tremendous years recently but is lacking in size. However Bernard Pollard who is a known Patriot killer (ending the seasons of Welker, Brady and Gronkowski) would make a great addition as he is 6'1 225 in covering some of the tight-ends of the league. 

Here's how I see the offense:

At QB, I wouldn't trade Luck for anyone - delighted there. I'm fine with the running backs. T.R. was a bad trade, but all of the running backs should do somewhat better if the interior O-line can improve. I'm fine with the tackles, maybe an accusation for depth would be a good idea. At guard, Thomas coming back helps but I think we need to bring in someone to start over Thorton (I think he's a developing player and fine to hold on to as a back up, because as we saw this season depth is important). At center, immediate change is needed. At tight end I'm good, getting Allen back should help (Allen-Fleener is a pretty good 1-2 punch) for a 2 TE set. At wide receiver I'm concerned. As great as his hands are Reggie was never a true burner - how slow is he going to be at 36 and coming off knee surgery? He'll be worth having on the field, but with his age he might not be the answer as a #1 receiver anymore. T.Y. is good from the slot or played at wideout, but I'm not sold on him as our #1. I think he's a back end #1 receiver to a high-end #2. Rogers, Brazill, and Whelan are all worth keeping to me too (DHB is not) but I think we're lacking slightly here. Fullback situation is good.

Priorities:

1. New starters at C and RG

2. Add a starting WR

3. Improve depth at OL 

1. New O-Lineman (A  PROVEN Center and Guards Need to be brought in)2. A few PLAYMAKERS on D 3. New D Coordinator DEPENDING ON WHO IS OUT THERE...WADE PHILLIPS  :highfive2: 

Denver!?