Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Christian Jones (FSU)?

I have no real opinion on Jones one way or the other...

And I know little about this guy....   but he appears to be popular here with many, so I just did some quick homework on him.

First, it appears he played ILB/MLB only one year at FSU...  otherwise, he's been an outside backer...

Here's his FSU bio...

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jones_christian00.html

And....

He, according to McShay projects more to OLB than ILB at the pro level.    He's built like an OLB.

Listed on McShay's bio sheet as 6'3" and 5/8 and 235 with the frame to put on more weight...  with average (4.65) speed.

So,  while Jones is listed as an ILB on the new simulator game site that we've all quickly become addicted to (me too!)   I'm not sure inside is where he ends up in the NFL.

Feels like he's going to play outside....

Does that change the view for the Jones' fans here?    I'm just askin....

Guest TeamLoloJones

I have no real opinion on Jones one way or the other...

And I know little about this guy....   but he appears to be popular here with many, so I just did some quick homework on him.

First, it appears he played ILB/MLB only one year at FSU...  otherwise, he's been an outside backer...

Here's his FSU bio...

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jones_christian00.html

And....

He, according to McShay projects more to OLB than ILB at the pro level.    He's built like an OLB.

Listed on McShay's bio sheet as 6'3" and 5/8 and 235 with the frame to put on more weight...  with average (4.65) speed.

So,  while Jones is listed as an ILB on the new simulator game site that we've all quickly become addicted to (me too!)   I'm not sure inside is where he ends up in the NFL.

Feels like he's going to play outside....

Does that change the view for the Jones' fans here?    I'm just askin....

Not a 3-4 OLB.  He's a hybrid 3-4 ILB or a 4-3 Will backer.  If we drafted him he would play ILB.  His physical stats may throw people off, but his skill set is he's good in coverage a solid open field tackler, but he's not much of a pass rusher.

4-3 ILB I think, Certainly not a 3-4 olb, Does not have a great first step, has closing speed but certainly not elite in that category, flows to the ball well when he finds it but play recognition needs improvement, does have a good spin move, Solid in coverage, Decent open field tackler but I have seen him slow up on plays where the ball carrier was close to him and it wasn't because of injury. I'd pass, we could find better in the middle rounds in my opinion

We could get someone better not that good vs the run. The perfect ILB is someone 6'2 245 lbs that can stop the run and cover.

Following all that, Shayne Skov would be your perfect ILB ( in height and weight). Against the run (HB or QB), he's great. Against the pass, I don't see him too much except across the middle of the field and he's not bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ztqdg__ojw

Ill take Tulsa LB Shawn Jackson, Can play ILB/OLB Explosive first step, explosive hitter, can go sideline to sideline and good in coverage, Most Ints in the nation for a LB this year with 5......9 for his career.....He would go higher but small school  and is a bit short at 6'0 but sheds blocks very well

Skov would be great only if we played more 3-4 zone but Manusky refuses to do it. Were in man coverage 90% of the time and Skov can't cover fast TE's and WR's crossing the middle. I think we should run more zone blitzes but that's not Manusky style, he likes vanilla defenses. A.J Johnson and Yawin Smallwood are better options in the defense were running.

Following all that, Shayne Skov would be your perfect ILB ( in height and weight). Against the run (HB or QB), he's great. Against the pass, I don't see him too much except across the middle of the field and he's not bad.