Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning: The light is at the end of the tunnel

bap1331

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311172/article/peyton-manning-concedes-the-end-of-nfl-career-is-near

The article suggests he is on a year to year basis now and nearing the end of his career. How much time do you give him? I'm really curious as to how long he will stay. He seems like he's only getting started after this year. Do you think around 39-40? He can't see himself not playing football it will be sad to see him go

He'll finish his contract. If there is anything you can say about Peyton is that he'll never leave something he agreed to do. He has three years left on his contract, with a physical after next season.

So he either retires AFTER next season or three years from now.

Given how he's playing, I think he has several years left in him.  He's also surrounded by many weapons, which makes things easier.  I, as well as anyone who is a football fan, would love to see him stick around for several more years, but there are a lot of factors that go into that.  I think his method is best.  Go at it one year at a time, see how you feel, see if your passion is still there or if you want to do other things, etc.

I found his comments interesting in that he said he says the light at the end of the tunnel. You compare that to Brady who won't even talk about life after football and says he wants to play into his 40's and I think maybe Manning may call it quits after next season. No one really knows how much he has to put into his body given his arm/neck and maybe he has had enough. I do think if he does get that second ring either this year or next year that he might retire which is what I had posted in another thread. This just confirms it more for me now.

I think that if he's even concerned about his neck at any point he could retire - especially after having kids.

Has he ever said he wanted to be a coach?  I could see him as one in the NFL really easily.

If his body allows, I think he'll play as long as he can play well.  He is motivated to go for the lifetime records as long as he's winning.  I don't see him hanging around bouncing around the league cause he just can't stand not being in the game.  

I found his comments interesting in that he said he says the light at the end of the tunnel. You compare that to Brady who won't even talk about life after football and says he wants to play into his 40's and I think maybe Manning may call it quits after next season. No one really knows how much he has to put into his body given his arm/neck and maybe he has had enough. I do think if he does get that second ring either this year or next year that he might retire which is what I had posted in another thread. This just confirms it more for me now.

I agree too. He might not show it but maybe that neck injury affected him allot. He's just a competitor and didn't want his career to just end like that...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311172/article/peyton-manning-concedes-the-end-of-nfl-career-is-near

The article suggests he is on a year to year basis now and nearing the end of his career. How much time do you give him? I'm really curious as to how long he will stay. He seems like he's only getting started after this year. Do you think around 39-40? He can't see himself not playing football it will be sad to see him go

I think he;s saying that he's obviously much closer to the end than he is to the start or the middle...

I think he'll almost certainly play out the 5-year contract which has 3 years left.

..He is at the top of his game with a big winning team...looking better than last season...Remember why he plays

Don't worry..he's got 3 more years

Given how he's playing, I think he has several years left in him.  He's also surrounded by many weapons, which makes things easier.  I, as well as anyone who is a football fan, would love to see him stick around for several more years, but there are a lot of factors that go into that.  I think his method is best.  Go at it one year at a time, see how you feel, see if your passion is still there or if you want to do other things, etc.

I kind of want Peyton Manning to win his 2nd SB & then retire on top just like John Elway did. That's the last memory I want of Peyton: 2 Time SB Champion & the only QB to win 2 rings for 2 different clubs.

When you leave is just as important as how you leave. Now is the time to win it all & gracefully exit stage right forever as a player. JMO. 

I think he'll retire after next season, SB win or not.

That is an excellent question QuizBoy or implied statement anyway. How long is 18 willing to chase that 2nd ring? Will it haunt him if that 2nd Lombardi trophy eludes him or is his HOF record enough? 

I wonder what his close friend Jim Kelly would tell him? Go after it because unfulfilled aspirations never truly die or that you have accomplished so much & you have nothing to be ashamed of? 

That is an excellent question QuizBoy or implied statement anyway. How long is 18 willing to chase that 2nd ring? Will it haunt him if that 2nd Lombardi trophy eludes him or is his HOF record enough? 

I wonder what his close friend Jim Kelly would tell him? Go after it because unfulfilled aspirations never truly die or that you have accomplished so much & you have nothing to be ashamed of? 

Exactly. I suppose it just depends on what his mindset is given the situation. Unfulfilled aspirations or completely satisfied with the many accolades of his, including future Hall of Famer.

he has two years left on his contract. he won't retire before that. Plus he only needs a little over 6000 yards to have the most all time. He will pass the tds record next year

Sure, he may not if he keeps on pace with what he did this year. Not to say that it won't happen but it's unlikely for a quarterback to play elite into his 40s. That's why Favre was such a big deal his first year with the Vikings. Like I said though, if he can actually keep it up, I can see him finishing out his contract, but I don't think it will be just so that he can get the most passing yards/TDs all time though.

Exactly. I suppose it just depends on what his mindset is given the situation. Unfulfilled aspirations or completely satisfied with the many accolades of his, including future Hall of Famer.

I ran out of likes QuizBoy. I promise that I will give you 1 tomorrow. The other thing I think about is this: The faster Manning either wins a ring or decides to retire the better. Now, I love Manning & I want him to have an excellent shot at additional jewelry naturally. Also, I have no problem with him finishing his contract out at all. 

But, at some point, not only must all great things come to an end, but the next sequence of elite QBs needs to emerge & occupy their turn under turn under the limelight. 

What I admire most about Manning is that he pays homage to the great players who came before him. Unitas, Marino, Kelly, Fouts the list goes on and on...

A great reflective piece on 18 by John Lynch...

http://youtu.be/aTLw33SpRzs

I love manning, but i don‘t want him going through our indy colts to get another ring.

This where I'm having problems...Mao...

I don't want to want to  about the Colts  eliminating Peyton either..which makes an Indianapolis-Denver AFC title game not only a media circus but a no-win scenario

..and it could happen on Jan 19

This where I'm having problems...Mao...

I don't want to want to  about the Colts  eliminating Peyton either..which makes an Indianapolis-Denver AFC title game not only a media circus but a no-win scenario

..and it could happen on Jan 19

especially if andrew tore through him again. The peyton bashers would come out of the woodwork and run with it. It would make manning look bad and put unwanted attention on a low key humble luck.

I think he honors his contract and then hangs it up or maybe goes to a year-to-year deal after that.  Not like Favre, I think he would let the Broncos know early on if he still wanted to play or retire and then stick by that decision but I don't think he would sign another deal for longer than a year or two after this one. 

When I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be about the playoff road he might have to walk to win another Super Bowl.  He's looking at having to go through the Chargers and maybe the Pats the two teams that have had his number the best in his career or his old team in the Colts.  I think if you were able to make Peyton tell you the honest truth those would be the last three teams he wants to play in the AFC and maybe the NFL. 

I think he honors his contract and then hangs it up or maybe goes to a year-to-year deal after that.  Not like Favre, I think he would let the Broncos know early on if he still wanted to play or retire and then stick by that decision but I don't think he would sign another deal for longer than a year or two after this one. 

I agree 100% GC8818 that the Sheriff will know exactly when to hang up his spurs unlike spoiled brat #4. Favre mentioned in the same breath as Peyton is almost blasphemous. 

I realize that's not the point you were making my friend. I just deplore & detest how that primadonna was so revered in Green Bay. My problem here no one else's. LOL! 

I think he'll play on until he is 90 so he can eventually break his current 'one and done' hoodoo.

I could see Peyton doing walker, wheelchair, & electronic scooter commercials on TV at that point. Just don't ask him to throw a Slug Go route from a seated position BHC. Only teasing!  :P

The title of this topic is: "Peyton Manning: The light is at the end of the tunnel." 

I often wonder with athletes do they savor each game more or do they push harder knowing that your career is slipping away like sand falling swiftly through a hour glass? I also think about what will satisfy their competitive juices once the game is over for them? Coaching? Charity work? A sports broadcasting job? Raising a family? 

I just can't see Peyton coaching. It would be interesting to see him as a broadcaster because Manning is so nice & diplomatic in everything he says. I just can't picture him saying anything racy or controversial.

Given all the celebrities he knows, I could see Peyton investing into a major motion picture studio like Steven Speilberg's "Dreamworks." The camera loves him & he has a knack for what I call geeky, nerd funny. Plus, he knows how to deliver a zinger punchline.Remember that SNL skit? "Spend time with your kids so Peyton Manning doesn't."  :lol:

Slightly off topic, but once Manning's NFL career is concluded, I like to see a respected journalist like Steve Kroft on "60 Minutues" talk to private citizen Peyton & get a sense of his retirement from football chilling with the wife & kids. Also, I want someone to estimate his net worth & how much money he has generated separately in both Indianapolis & Denver revenue wise inside the football stadiums & overall Rocky Mountain High community. Does he get a discount on hemp? It's legal in Colorado now you know. Neck pain? What neck pain from the 4 surgeries? Just Kidding! 

That's the next SNL skit...Hemp, Peyton, & Poppa John's Pizza! Only teasing! 

Lastly, once Peyton gets inducted into the HOF, who will be his presenter in which uniform & Was Jim Irsay truly astonished at how well Manning played after he was released? Be honest Jim.