Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian: Colts' Caldwell 'done A Terrific Job' With Limited Personnel

bayone

Winning in spite of a ton of deficiencies because you have an awesome QB, plain and simple. No running game, no time to throw the ball, embarrassingly hard to watch defense, have you really never noticed this before? It's been going on for awhile now, and needs to be addressed. They need to cut loose of some of these scrubs and acquire a couple of NFL caliber players through free agency in the off-season, as well as in the draft.

To get players via FA you have to have the financial cap space which the colts really doesn't have. So you have to take a risk and build via the draft.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I refuse to run around like Chicken Little screaming the sky is falling off of 1 season. I understand some poor drafting has happened and add in key injuries and such you have a season like this. I am willing to accept this season for what it is, see the positives of what will come from this year.

I respect your right to your opinion but still hold fast to mine. I do agree that there is nothing wrong with looking forward to the positives of what may ultimately come from this season. I just define those "positives" somewhat differently than you. ;)

Edited by Coltsman1788

Exactly WHOM saw the Colts as SB contenders this season before Manning went down? Anyone who looked at this overall team sure didn't. IN fact most "experts" had the Colts at 8 to 9 wins total this year with a healthy Peyton.

Talking heads like choose a team a yr for a demise. And the colts won what 11(?) games last year and had most of the players returning with NO MAJOR changes, so using logic even when Manning went down WORSE case should be HALF the wins heck a third even so say 3 or 4 wins.. Are they going get there? NO why? poor FO player management and/possibly bad coaching. I give caldwell a break since he has no say who they get he stuck with whomever they select which is kinda foolish.

To get players via FA you have to have the financial cap space which the colts really doesn't have. So you have to take a risk and build via the draft.

Well dn4192 IF everything you say is right then the Polians have to go. They have put the colts into cap heck and made it so they couldnt get better because of their terrible contracts to a few players.

I refuse to run around like Chicken Little screaming the sky is falling off of 1 season. I understand some poor drafting has happened and add in key injuries and such you have a season like this. I am willing to accept this season for what it is, see the positives of what will come from this year.

You are so transparent it borderlines between hilarious and pathetic.

Isn't that AGAIN a prbl with you FO having to MANY high priced players? Pats have Brady,Mankins,Wilfolk As there top 3 in payroll (Welker I hope be added to this next year he earned it.)

Okay of our high prices players whom shouldn't we have given those deals to?

Talking heads like choose a team a yr for a demise. And the colts won what 11(?) games last year and had most of the players returning with NO MAJOR changes, so using logic even when Manning went down WORSE case should be HALF the wins heck a third even so say 3 or 4 wins.. Are they going get there? NO why? poor FO player management and/possibly bad coaching. I give caldwell a break since he has no say who they get he stuck with whomever they select which is kinda foolish.

I believe the loss of Peyton effects more then just the offense. Our whole team set up was based around him. Our defensive style is based on playing with a lead and forcing the other teams offense to do things it may not want or be good at. Now we are playing from a totally different perspective and add in poor DB's and you see what we have. I doubt there is any other team in the NFL built around 1 sole player like the colts are. Now there will be those who say it should have never been built that way, they may be right, but you can't argue with the Results over the past decade.

I believe the loss of Peyton effects more then just the offense. Our whole team set up was based around him. Our defensive style is based on playing with a lead and forcing the other teams offense to do things it may not want or be good at. Now we are playing from a totally different perspective and add in poor DB's and you see what we have. I doubt there is any other team in the NFL built around 1 sole player like the colts are. Now there will be those who say it should have never been built that way, they may be right, but you can't argue with the Results over the past decade.

1. I could argue that grass is red if I felt inclined to do so

2. The Superbowl win finally came in a year when the Run D was effective in the playoffs. Therefore it could easily be argued that a defense not built around playing with the lead could and should have led to more than 1 SB win.

The team is built around 1 player. Polian built the team around 1 player so it's his fault. Polian's track record absolves him of blame. And thus the circle continues.

Edited by Jason

Well dn4192 IF everything you say is right then the Polians have to go. They have put the colts into cap heck and made it so they couldnt get better because of their terrible contracts to a few players.

Which Colts have horrible contracts?

1. I could argue that grass is red if I felt inclined to do so

2. The Superbowl win finally came in a year when the Run D was effective in the playoffs. Therefore it could easily be argued that a defense not built around playing with the lead could and should have led to more than 1 SB win.

The team is built around 1 player. Polian built the team around 1 player so it's his fault. Polian's track record absolves him of blame. And thus the circle continues.

There is no blame to be handed out, that is what Colt Fan can't figure out. Polian had a plan, the plan worked extremely well for over a decade. The plan was built around Manning and now he is getting older and is injuried, so yes the team struggles. So now you come up with a new plan and begin work on it. Why is that so hard to grasp for Colt Fan.

About all this "blame" being targeted at Bill Polian, as a Colts fan since 1966, I have no problem placing blame on his shoulders for 9 consecutive playoff appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances, and one Super Bowl win. It's been the best stretch of success in Colts history and it rivals some of the greatest periods of success by any football franchise over the period of a decade.

Yeah maybe the Colts fell short of a couple more actual Super Bowl victories than we might think they were capable of winning, but as this year teaches, there is a very thin line between winning and losing in the NFL. I am hopeful that this year will prove to be an aberration and next year, with Manning's return, the addition of a few more key draft choices, and hopefully some decent health for the first time in three years, the Colts will be right back in the mix as legitimate Super Bowl contenders. I have zero issues with Polian.

As for Caldwell, meh. As for Coyer, double meh.

Edited by rockywoj

Okay of our high prices players whom shouldn't we have given those deals to?

Well based on the list I saw only HIGH priced player you have is Freeney and Manning rest middle of the road contracts. (6 mill a yr for Wayne a Bargain! we are paying that for ocho sinco) And sad to say IF the numbers I saw was right Freeney grossly overpayed at 11 million. That said your PREMISE was wrong you dont have HIGH priced, but Diem making 5.4 million this yr for an avg olineman is crazy. Or better yet not paying what 4 million for Collins! (I mean there were better choices out there!)

About all this "blame" being targeted at Bill Polian, as a Colts fan since 1966, I have no problem placing blame on his shoulders for 9 consecutive playoff appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances, and one Super Bowl win. It's been the best stretch of success in Colts history and it rivals some of the greatest periods of success by any football franchise over the period of a decade.

Yeah maybe the Colts fell short of a couple more actual Super Bowl victories than we might think they were capable of winning, but as this year teaches, there is a very thin line between winning and losing in the NFL. I am hopeful that this year will prove to be an aberration and next year, with Manning's return, the addition of a few more key draft choices, and hopefully some decent health for the first time in three years, the Colts will be right back in the mix as legitimate Super Bowl contenders. I have zero issues with Polian.

Here are my thoughts regarding the following gentlemen:

As far as Bill Polian goes, I think he has brought the franchise a long way overall. His body of work is impressive considering what Colts fan were used to before. Recently, some of his picks havent worked out as well as many of us would like and in a year like this that stretch of poor drafting becomes more problematic. I cut him some slack though considering his overall body of work but if this team is going to make its living based almost exclusively on draft picks then we need to be doing a better job than we have been lately. He isn't doing himself any favors defending Caldwell based on injuries and lack of personnel though as he is pointing the finger at himself by deduction. Now as far as Chris Polian goes...I don't know that he is the answer...the jury is out. All I know is he's Bill's boy but he has no real track record. This kind of nepotism makes me uneasy. He has to make his own name for better or worse.

Jim Caldwell...I am not a fan. But I never boarded that bandwagon from the beginning as I was more of a Dungy supporter. Some were all excited because Caldwell fired a few coaches and drafted some bigger players. However, I felt that Caldwell was a watered down less effective Dungy-lite lacking Tony's presence/leadership capabilities. I haven't seen anything yet from Caldwell to dispprove that in my mind. Sure we went 14-2 in his first year, but that had more to do with the foundation that Dungy had already established and Peyton Manning than it did with Jim Caldwell. As the years go by and Caldwell puts more of his mark on the franchise, the Colts have gotten progressively worse. That said he will be given a mulligan/do over/free pass by our front office judging by Polian's comments. I am not surprised by this as I have stated repeatedly in other posts that they would use Peyton's injury as an excuse to not evaluate his performance on this year.

I am not and never was a fan of the Coyer hiring. I feel that Meeks was a better coordinator than this guy. Yeah...I said Meeks. Coyer was known in Denver as the guy who destroyed their secondary. I feared this would happen in Indy and lo and behold it has. Imo, he absolutely must go if no one else does.

Edited by Coltsman1788

Really? The Pats and Steelers doing it. As did GB heck they won a SB with more IR players than any other team last year.

Think we had more on IR, thing was and not discounting their achievement at all so dont get me wrong, Those on IR were spread among a varirty of positions so still had depth to replace, Ours were many in skill positions Like Receivers and thus didn't have the depth or Sanders Then Bullit other Safties Etc , thus we had many of the same position & lacked depth needed

Pitiful!! Polian needs to be sent packing if that's how he truly feels. What's he going to say after we get out butts handed to us by Tennessee?

WE shall see, we have always been good at stopping CJ due to our speed & trapping him inside preventing him going around the edge, this year all have stopped him, if he has a good day Vs us there are major issues above what i already believe we have if thats possible

well put.

It's not just one season, it's three.....

It's not just one season, it's three.....

No it's not, in 2009 we went to the Super Bowl, which is all you can ask of your team. In 2010 we won the division and made the playoffs. In both cases the team had winning records. In the second season due to a loss of key personal it came up a bit short in the playoffs. Outside of maybe NE and PItts go as any other NFL in the world if they would be upset with their team in the previous two seasons going 24-8, and have the post season appearances and ask them if those years are failures. The problem here is Colt fan is jaded, they feel that if the Colts don't win the SB it's a lost season. Now we have a losing season and if that is followed up by a losing season next year and then another bad season after that you can then complain, but stop it, really....

Edited by dn4192

Regarding "poor" drafting ... if you take the bottom 7 picks of the draft for each of the past, oh, say 5 years ... how many of those bottom first round seven are currently productive players still in the league? Perform the same test for all of the rounds.

I have not done the analysis myself, but I hereby put it out there that the Colts have done no worse (probably middle of the road) in their hit and miss ratio than most others that are slotted in or near the same low draft slot. I think that a lot of their draft failure may be directly related to their regular season success in that they have pretty much always been picking toward the bottom of each round.

I've said it before, the draft is designed to be worse for the best teams. Colts have been victimized by the design, more so than by bad drafting, methinks.

Edited by rockywoj

I wonder what Polian's going to say if we get blown out in a few more games. BB has run up the score in the past; wonder what he'll do to us.

I know what Saturday said and he's since 'explained' his remarks; I'd like to know what the team overall thinks of their HC now and after any more losses..

Three, count 'em, three underperforming seasons....

I think that the Colts of 2010 over performed, given the historic plethora of injuries they had to endure last year.

The Colts of 2009 were the regular season's best team and they made it to the Super Bowl. It was a disappointing Super Bowl loss that year, which really turned on only about 4 plays, but to term that team as under performing is, in my mind, utter nonsense.

Edited by rockywoj

Think we had more on IR, thing was and not discounting their achievement at all so dont get me wrong, Those on IR were spread among a varirty of positions so still had depth to replace, Ours were many in skill positions Like Receivers and thus didn't have the depth or Sanders Then Bullit other Safties Etc , thus we had many of the same position & lacked depth needed

You could be right Bav, I thought I heard somewhere they had the most on IR, my point was to the poster I quoted is OTHER teams over come obstacles like the colts had this year. Pats and Steelers when their star QB were out, and GB with a slew on IR last year won it all.

He also said large salaries kept them from getting better, but now I think about it thats just a bad GM who doesnt know when let people go. (Freeney isnt worth 11 mill a year and Diem isnt worth almost 6 mill a yr.)

The NFL draft is like going to Vegas, it's all a crap shoot at best. You try to do your best to play the games in vegas with the best odds and in the draft you try to do your best to draft players whose abilities will shine in the NFL. But as we have seen in each and every year of the draft there are always going to be busts and surprises...

You could be right Bav, I thought I heard somewhere they had the most on IR, my point was to the poster I quoted is OTHER teams over come obstacles like the colts had this year. Pats and Steelers when their star QB were out, and GB with a slew on IR last year won it all.

He also said large salaries kept them from getting better, but now I think about it thats just a bad GM who doesnt know when let people go. (Freeney isnt worth 11 mill a year and Diem isnt worth almost 6 mill a yr.)

Do you think had we not resigned him another team would have paid him that kind of monies? Also what do you think the response would have been from the fans had they let him go? Also would it have not maybe been smarter to not ink Peyton to all that money in the deal before this one and this one. We could have let him go and used those monies on other things and drafted someone like say Aaron Rogers who went like late in the draft?

Do you think had we not resigned him another team would have paid him that kind of monies? Also what do you think the response would have been from the fans had they let him go? Also would it have not maybe been smarter to not ink Peyton to all that money in the deal before this one and this one. We could have let him go and used those monies on other things and drafted someone like say Aaron Rogers who went like late in the draft?

A good GM does whats best for the TEAM and the future, just like BB did when he let Samual,Law,(etc) Go and Traded Seymour did. Did he take flake for it yes, did it end up being for the best? Yes. Polian IMO was to afraid to trade or say no to say a Freeney and rebuild with either the money saved or the draft pick gotten for him. (example we got Solder for the Seymour deal, looks like a fair trade to me right now. AND they saved the $$ on resigning him and used it on other players.) I use the Pats as an example as I know them best.

Aaron Rodgers late in the draft? NO he was a 1st round draft pick! NOT a late pick like Brady,Cassel, or even a 3rd rounder like Mallet.

Edited by JimJaime

Okay how am I transparent? I refuse to get my undies in a bunch off of one bad season and that is all this is as of right now.

Well let's see:

Anyone else: Caldwell should be fired now.

you: nuh uh...Bill is great and will do the right thing but not till the offseason

Anyone else: Fire Coyer and bring in a new DC to adjust the defense

you: nuh uh...can't do anything in the middle of the season, best wait till the offseason

Anyone else: Polian should share some blame for Colts current season

you: nuh uh...Bill is great and his track record shows it

Anyone else: Manning isn't on IR because they need to see him practice and possibly in game to determine his future

you: NO, NO WAY...THIS IS STUPID...POLIAN AND IRSAY ARE WRONG...PUT HIM ON IR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of which brings us back to:

No I would want to see a repeat of the previous 9-10 years. And yes I see the Colts winning 1-2 maybe even 3 games this season and thus ruining any shot at Luck. I really hope they go 0-16 and have the number 1 pick and take Luck.

Okay dn you want some contract numbers?

Colts total 2011 cap hit - $95,895,962

Patriots total 2011 cap hit - $95,190,378

Steelers total 2011 cap hit - &116,810,975

Colts players with $1,000,000 plus base contracts: Dwight Freeney, Reggie Wayne, Ryan Diem, Antoine Bethea, Dallas Clark, Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning, Robert Mathis, Jeff Saturday, Gary Brackett, Eric Foster, Anthony Gonzalez------12 total players

Pats players with $1,000,000 plus base contracts: Tom Brady, Leigh Bodden, Brian Waters, Dan Koppen, Deion Branch, Mike Wright, Wes Welker, Benjarvis Green-Ellis, Andrew Carter, Steven Gostkowski, Shawn Ellis, Logan Mankins, Albert Haynesworth, Dan Connolly, Chad Ochocinco, Matt Light, Gary Guyton-------------17 total players

Steelers: Ben Roethlessberger, Troy Polamalu, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, James Harrison, Heath Miller, Chris Komeatu, Brett Kiesel, Hines Ward, James Farrior, Ryan Clark, Bryant McFadden, Larry Foote, Byron Leftwich, Willie Colon, Will Allen, Dennis Dixon, Lamar Woodley, Arnaz Battle----19 players

All teams tie up a lot of their cap with a small portion of players. It is the GM's job to fill in the other spots with cheaper, yet still talented players. We are no different than other teams as far as how we pay people, we just don't have much talent outside of our starting quarterback position.

I don't know how you figure people are just now saying we need changes. The more intelligent people on the forum have been saying for years that our defensive philosophy needs to change, our oline lacks talent, special teams sucks, and if our starting qb goes down we're a 3 win team. It's because we know what we're talking about and you don't. You can continue to turn a blind eye to the team's deficiencies, and continue to be okay with an underachieving football team surrounding the GOAT as our QB. Or you can be a part of the revolution. I say you can be a part of the revolution because I assume you are Bill Polian as only he would defend this mess of a team. You need to wake up Bill. Get rid of Caldwell, Coyer, and Rychelski, stop using the injury excuse, get rid of lesser talents like Lacey, don't cut good players like Hayden and Tryon, keep building through the draft but don't shy away from good free agent pickups, and stop using the same terrible coverage scheme every down.

hey look you're finally on our side...pass on Luck and draft a late 1st to 2nd round QB. yay :D

Edited by Jason

Colts players with $1,000,000 plus base contracts: Dwight Freeney, Reggie Wayne, Ryan Diem, Antoine Bethea, Dallas Clark, Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning, Robert Mathis, Jeff Saturday, Gary Brackett, Eric Foster, Anthony Gonzalez------12 total players

Pats players with $1,000,000 plus base contracts: Tom Brady, Leigh Bodden, Brian Waters, Dan Koppen, Deion Branch, Mike Wright, Wes Welker, Benjarvis Green-Ellis, Andrew Carter, Steven Gostkowski, Shawn Ellis, Logan Mankins, Albert Haynesworth, Dan Connolly, Chad Ochocinco, Matt Light, Gary Guyton-------------17 total players

Steelers: Ben Roethlessberger, Troy Polamalu, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, James Harrison, Heath Miller, Chris Komeatu, Brett Kiesel, Hines Ward, James Farrior, Ryan Clark, Bryant McFadden, Larry Foote, Byron Leftwich, Willie Colon, Will Allen, Dennis Dixon, Lamar Woodley, Arnaz Battle----19 players

All teams tie up a lot of their cap with a small portion of players. It is the GM's job to fill in the other spots with cheaper, yet still talented players. We are no different than other teams as far as how we pay people, we just don't have much talent outside of our starting quarterback position.

I don't know how you figure people are just now saying we need changes. The more intelligent people on the forum have been saying for years that our defensive philosophy needs to change, our oline lacks talent, special teams sucks, and if our starting qb goes down we're a 3 win team. It's because we know what we're talking about and you don't. You can continue to turn a blind eye to the team's deficiencies, and continue to be okay with an underachieving football team surrounding the GOAT as our QB. Or you can be a part of the revolution. I say you can be a part of the revolution because I assume you are Bill Polian as only he would defend this mess of a team. You need to wake up Bill. Get rid of Caldwell, Coyer, and Rychelski, stop using the injury excuse, get rid of lesser talents like Lacey, don't cut good players like Hayden and Tryon, keep building through the draft but don't shy away from good free agent pickups, and stop using the same terrible coverage scheme every down.

Peytonator,

Am I wrong (and please let me know if I am) or does it seem Polian,for lack of a better word, SCARED take chances as a GM? For Example (I use BB as I know the Pats the best) BB will go and take a chance on a Moss, or Ocho sinco, or even a Heynsworth where I cant remember ever seeing the Colts take a chance on any free agent or even risky draft pick? Am I wrong?

So the Colts have fewer players tied up in more money then both the Pats and Saints? I thought so. As for the team, I am okay with how it's been ran, I am okay with having playoff season after playoff season after playoff season and so on and having 2 SB appearances in a 10 year period. I have faith that this team will rebound and get back to that after a season or so of being down and no I don't care how the team is constructed because all that matters is that we win. If we do it like we have over the past decade for another decade with a STUD QB and questionable parts around him, then so be it, all that matters is the end result doesn't it?

During our run only 2 other teams have been overall more successful. NE has 4 SB appearances and of those 3 wins, of which their first was handed to them by the officals in a horrible playoff call. The Steelers have 3 SB appearances with 2 wins and again they were handed 1 by the officals in their win of Seattle. The Colts have 2 SB appearances with 1 win and 1 loss and they are responsible for both of those. I am good with that, and have faith that the personal that built this franchise has the ability and knowledge to do it again.....you don't.

So the Colts have fewer players tied up in more money then both the Pats and Saints? I thought so. As for the team, I am okay with how it's been ran, I am okay with having playoff season after playoff season after playoff season and so on and having 2 SB appearances in a 10 year period. I have faith that this team will rebound and get back to that after a season or so of being down and no I don't care how the team is constructed because all that matters is that we win. If we do it like we have over the past decade for another decade with a STUD QB and questionable parts around him, then so be it, all that matters is the end result doesn't it?

During our run only 2 other teams have been overall more successful. NE has 4 SB appearances and of those 3 wins, of which their first was handed to them by the officals in a horrible playoff call. The Steelers have 3 SB appearances with 2 wins and again they were handed 1 by the officals in their win of Seattle. The Colts have 2 SB appearances with 1 win and 1 loss and they are responsible for both of those. I am good with that, and have faith that the personal that built this franchise has the ability and knowledge to do it again.....you don't.

You thought so? Did you not say they had to much money tide up in key players to be well rounded like NE and Pitt whp spend MORE on key players but still get great depth.

As for your last paragraph that was mostly blue colored glasses drivel. (except for the last sentence, which I say good for you.)

You thought so? Did you not say they had to much money tide up in key players to be well rounded like NE and Pitt whp spend MORE on key players but still get great depth.

As for your last paragraph that was mostly blue colored glasses drivel. (except for the last sentence, which I say good for you.)

You listed it at 1 million. I believe if you look at the say the top 5 highest paid players on each team I would have to think the colts have more money tied up in those 5 over the two other teams, but I might be wrong. As for the last paragraph, the facts are what they are. Ask anyone outside of NE if that was a bush league call in the Radiers playoff game and ask anyone outside of PItts if Ben's knee wasn't down before he scored. Both NE and Pitts were handed by the officals those games. Or do you say the film lies?

You listed it at 1 million. I believe if you look at the say the top 5 highest paid players on each team I would have to think the colts have more money tied up in those 5 over the two other teams, but I might be wrong. As for the last paragraph, the facts are what they are. Ask anyone outside of NE if that was a bush league call in the Radiers playoff game and ask anyone outside of PItts if Ben's knee wasn't down before he scored. Both NE and Pitts were handed by the officals those games. Or do you say the film lies?

I didnt do all that was peytonators tough work not mine.

As for the 2 SB wins. 1. The Pats/raiders game no matter WHO you talk to who knows the rules KNOWS it was the right call BUT a stupid rule. BUT AGAIN CORRECT CALL. As for Big Ben that was way way to close to reverse even by video review. Besides I HATE people trying to make their team sound BETTER by saying well they only one because the refs this or insert some other annoying excuse here. Fact is the Pats won 3 SB and the Steelers won 2 and between them been to 7 of the last 11 SB. (add the Colts in be 3 teams for 9 SB kinda scary top heavy in the AFC lol)