Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Peyton Fail To Mentor Curtis Painter?

theking213

I think we can all agree that Tedy should do less talking! Having said that, who says Painter isn't prepared. In my opinion,he's not played all that poorly. As has been noted by several others, this is a "check with me" type of offense where many (if not most) plays are called at the line of scrimmage. Painter has demonstrated the ability to operate the offense and make changes at the line. Unfortunately, he's also demonstrated a general lack of experience in doing so. Peyton is sooo good at operating this offense largely because of practice and repitition. Curtis Painter hasn't been afforded that luxury. I do not anticipate that he'll ever be considered a viable replacement for Peyton Manning but Curtis Painter is far from being the sole reason that the Colts are winless thus far. He has improved and will continue to improve. Bruschi, on the other hand, will not!

True, the team as a hole is doing poorly, I think my post just before yours shows why Cassel did better than Painter so far

True, the team as a hole is doing poorly, I think my post just before yours shows why Cassel did better than Painter so far

Agreed but it is apples and oranges. Technically and statistically, Cassel did worse than Painter has done. The Pats were a much better and more complete team that year than the Colts are this year. Cassel actually cost the Pats a few games that season while Painter is keeping us in most of the games we've played. As bad as we've been, we would be so much worse without Curtis Painter. Again, just my opinion.

I've heard that before, Peyton would do nearly all of the film study on his own. But more recently, he has let the backup QB watch the film and take notes and then report back to Peyton with what he found

I've been under the impression that Sorgi was actively involved in helping Manning with film breakdown as well - for many years. I don't think that's it's all that recent a phenomenon, rather that it's part of the backups job - and a way to justify their existence on a team where they never need to play a meaningful down.

Peyton Manning is better than Brady and does more for his team..

His shoes were far bigger to fill than Tom Brady's..

Bill Bellicek mentored Matt Cassell..

I think Manning likes Painter and helps him as much as he can.. That's what I see.

But a parakeet cant be an eagle

Michael Jordan mentors his two sons...... Didnt make them all-Americans.

To me, it's not quite a failure from Manning but the coaches. Its a failure because it's looked like Painter was not ready to take over this team, despite the fact he's been on the team now for over two years!!! Its obvious that the coaches, or Manning, never cared or thought of what might have happened had Manning been injured during a game. It has become clear that if that had happened Painter would not have been able to run the offense. Again, a failure of the coaches for not making sure he was ready regardless of what Manning thought or wanted. Sometimes a coach has to push his star player's ego aside for the better of the team.

Peyton Manning is better than Brady and does more for his team..

His shoes were far bigger to fill than Tom Brady's.. ---- lets not start a manning vs Brady thread PLEASE!

Bill Bellicek mentored Matt Cassell.. --- DOUBT That was more likely McDaniels who mentored him BB is D guy, So why didnt Colts coaches mentor?

I think Manning likes Painter and helps him as much as he can.. That's what I see. --- agreed

But a parakeet cant be an eagle

Michael Jordan mentors his two sons...... Didnt make them all-Americans. -- not sure yet are they old enough yet

I have not read through all of the posts, so I don't know if what I am going to say is redundant to already expressed views or not, but ...

Peyton Manning is a QB, not a coach. It is NOT his job to mentor / coach other QBs. QBs that, strictly speaking, are coworkers after his job.

When playing behind somebody that is great, it would be in that person's (Painter) best interests to watch and learn. The onus is on them. If they have questions, then ask. I would think that Peyton is enough of a team player that he will readily lend a helping hand to answer / help a fellow player out, but I tihnk it's unrealistic to expect that he will go out of his way, of his own volition, to take on a "mentoring" or coaching role. That's something that is the responsibility of the QB coach. Peyton, methinks, is too busy worrying about his own responsibilities than to take on the roll of wet nurse.

Ergo, I think it is utter nonsense to purport that Manning has somehow failed the Colts by not "mentoring" his understudy.

When Manning retires, hopefully into the role of Colts QB coach or Offensive Coordinator, then "coaching" will be his responsibility, not before such time, though.

Edited by rockywoj

I have not read through all of the posts, so I don't know if what I am going to say is redundant to already expressed views or not, but ...

Peyton Manning is a QB, not a coach. It is NOT his job to mentor / coach other QBs, that strictly speaking, are coworkers after his job. When playing behind somebody that is great, it would be in that person's (Painter) best interests to watch and learn. If you have questions, then ask. I would think that Peyton is enough of a team player that he will readily lend a helping hand to answer / help a fellow player out, but I tihnk it's unrealistic to expect that he will go out of his way, of his own volition, to take on a mentoring / coaching role. That's something that is the responsibility of the QB coach. Peyton, methinks, is too busy worrying about his own responsibilities than to take on the roll of wet nurse.

Ergo, I think it is utter nonsense to purport that Manning has somehow failed the Colts by not "mentoring" his understudy.

Well said +1

I think we can all agree that Tedy should do less talking! Having said that, who says Painter isn't prepared. In my opinion,he's not played all that poorly. As has been noted by several others, this is a "check with me" type of offense where many (if not most) plays are called at the line of scrimmage. Painter has demonstrated the ability to operate the offense and make changes at the line. Unfortunately, he's also demonstrated a general lack of experience in doing so. Peyton is sooo good at operating this offense largely because of practice and repitition. Curtis Painter hasn't been afforded that luxury. I do not anticipate that he'll ever be considered a viable replacement for Peyton Manning but Curtis Painter is far from being the sole reason that the Colts are winless thus far. He has improved and will continue to improve. Bruschi, on the other hand, will not!

Well said, I feel like slaping Teddy right now

Lets all chill out on Painter... he is NOT the problem... He has played quit well.

Where do you see criticism of Painter in my post?

I agree with you and I've posted the same thing you said in another thread. Painter may not have won us any games, but he is not the reason that we lost any; he is not the problem. :)

if anyone has noticed BP and caldwell hates painter. when painter messes up and not on purpose caldwell claps and applaudes when he does good caldwell looks stonefaced like he was thinking so what. as long as these two are in jobs with the colts painter will not be resigned to another contract granted i think painter can replace manning when manning retires and build the team with great players overrall. I mean look at most who won superbowls we have brad johnson, big ben, trent dilfer, etc you dont need an elite qb to win a superbowl it helps but in this day an age id rather have a great team overall then just one player.

Peyton Manning is a QB, not a coach. It is NOT his job to mentor / coach other QBs. QBs that, strictly speaking, are coworkers after his job.

When playing behind somebody that is great, it would be in that person's (Painter) best interests to watch and learn. The onus is on them. If they have questions, then ask. I would think that Peyton is enough of a team player that he will readily lend a helping hand to answer / help a fellow player out, but I tihnk it's unrealistic to expect that he will go out of his way, of his own volition, to take on a "mentoring" or coaching role. That's something that is the responsibility of the QB coach. Peyton, methinks, is too busy worrying about his own responsibilities than to take on the roll of wet nurse.

When Manning retires, hopefully into the role of Colts QB coach or Offensive Coordinator, then "coaching" will be his responsibility, not before such time, though.

Amen. It's just not his job. It still wouldn't be his job if we drafted Luck. His job is to quarterback the team and win.

Edited by doogansquest