Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Somewhat Of A Silver Lining....

Dtman513

According to the NFL.Com stats...

Pat Angerer leads the NFL in tackles with 80

Kavell Conner is fourth with 61 tackles

I think this is somewhat of an interesting and positive stat amidst all of the shortcomings of this season...

Could we possible build a better defense around these two guys if they keep consistently putting up these kind of numbers?

While tackle stats are unreliable (coaches just throw them around), it does show that the guys are getting involved in the plays and they are around the ball. The only problem is Coyer keeps having Angerer drop back 20 yards, so when he does make the tackle, the RB has a first down anyway

i believe the colts can, pat is taking on blocks too much, the Dline isnt doing their job at all. the colts need some good DT's and they dont have that on their active roster right now... nevis was playing well but he's injured, moala isnt doing much.

Tackles are a very misleading stat.. I think angerer best game was against the steelers by far. Angerer and conner do always seem to be around the ball but i can't recall either of them making any big plays behind the line of scrimage. Such as tacles for losses or any really big hits that get a defense really going. Also out of there combined 141 tackles they have have only forced two fumbles. We really some of these guys on defense to be more

opportunistic. I do truly believe are defense would look alot better if Brackett was healthy and playing in the middle. We need some leadership out there.

Big whoopie! Angerer and Conner are great and chasing guys down from behind!!! Let's have a party!

PUHLEEZZZZEEE!!! You know why Angerer and Conner are getting so many tackles? They can't get anyone off the darned field! Luckily, we are so terrible at stopping the pass so teams just fling the ball around at will on us. If we could actually make a stop on the pass, we would get run on more and Angerer and Conner could get even MORE tackles 7, 8, 10, or 59 yards down the field! Yeah for them!!!

Angerer is a tackle machine but dropping him in coverage 20 yds does nothing for us. I haven't seen him miss many opportunities either. The more he plays the more plays he'll get accustomed to making ... be patient and he might blossom into a more-than-worthy heir to MLB

According to the NFL.Com stats...

Pat Angerer leads the NFL in tackles with 80

Kavell Conner is fourth with 61 tackles

I think this is somewhat of an interesting and positive stat amidst all of the shortcomings of this season...

Could we possible build a better defense around these two guys if they keep consistently putting up these kind of numbers?

Our guys have certainly had plenty of opportunities to tackle! We rank 1st in the worst possible defensive category; 3rd downs allowed! When we actually force a 3rd down, 50% of the time, other teams move the chains on us. The chances of picking up a first down double to 100% when teams are going for it on 4th down against this defense. Much like Drew Brees tossing touchdowns against the worst defense in the league during the 3rd quarter of a nationally televised blow-out, tackles on this team are meaningless and serve no purpose other than to pad stats or meet contract incentives. All that said, Angerer should be applauded for being the best of the worst!

cstats.jpg

In all fairness, Angerer and Bethea have been the only consistent contributors this season. The rest of the defense has been inconsistent at best or mediocre at worst. If there is a true silver lining to be found, I believe it lies in the fact that the season is nearly half over. I feel like the father of the awkward kid making a fool of himself on the grade school basketball team. Everyone else is trying not to laugh at my goofy son but it kills my soul to watch him struggle and embarrass himself. In the end, he's still my son and I love him but, on game day, I'm sinking lower and lower in my seat!

Edited by IndySouth

I mean as good as Angerer is I don't think he is better than Brackett. Gary is the Peyton of the defense. Last year when our defense was at their lowest point Gary was out. When the defense started stepping up and making play guess who was in? You guessed it Brackett. We need Gary on the field more than anyone.

It is a bit reflective on time of possession too. In fantasy football, if you are playing defensive players, a rule of thumb is to pick a defensive player like a MLB on a bad team that has its defense on the field most of the time. We are league low in time of possession (24 to 36, I think is the ratio).

So, Angerer leading the tackles category is as much a factor of us being league worst in time of possession as it is a factor with him being in the right spot most of the time.

It is a bit reflective on time of possession too. In fantasy football, if you are playing defensive players, a rule of thumb is to pick a defensive player like a MLB on a bad team that has its defense on the field most of the time. We are league low in time of possession (24 to 36, I think is the ratio).

So, Angerer leading the tackles category is as much a factor of us being league worst in time of possession as it is a factor with him being in the right spot most of the time.

Which is what happens when you can't stop teams on 3rd and 4th down! We've seen it for years but it's been magnified by 1,000 this season. Peyton isn't here to outscore our opponents and Brackett isn't here to help lead this defense. We're starting practice squad guys at tons of positions and our "pro bowlers" don't look nearly as pretty without our stampede blue, beer goggles on. It takes a full team effort to win games in this league. If the full team doesn't believe it can win, you won't get that effort.

Big whoopie! Angerer and Conner are great and chasing guys down from behind!!! Let's have a party!

PUHLEEZZZZEEE!!! You know why Angerer and Conner are getting so many tackles? They can't get anyone off the darned field! Luckily, we are so terrible at stopping the pass so teams just fling the ball around at will on us. If we could actually make a stop on the pass, we would get run on more and Angerer and Conner could get even MORE tackles 7, 8, 10, or 59 yards down the field! Yeah for them!!!

i have been saying this since last year. most of angerer's tackles on running plays are 5 yards down field. i am sure no team is game-planing around the leading tackler in the nfl. LOL

I mean as good as Angerer is I don't think he is better than Brackett. Gary is the Peyton of the defense. Last year when our defense was at their lowest point Gary was out. When the defense started stepping up and making play guess who was in? You guessed it Brackett. We need Gary on the field more than anyone.

I would have to respectfully disagree, i think this defense is better without Brackett specifically the LB core, they flow much faster to the ball with Pat. the LB core has been the strongest point on defense for the colts, when they dont have to block all the time they are very good and i would blame the scheme more than i would the LB's... its not that Pat cant cover its because of what they have him doing...

I would have to respectfully disagree, i think this defense is better without Brackett specifically the LB core, they flow much faster to the ball with Pat. the LB core has been the strongest point on defense for the colts, when they dont have to block all the time they are very good and i would blame the scheme more than i would the LB's... its not that Pat cant cover its because of what they have him doing...

I completely agree with you. +1

Tackles are a very misleading stat.. I think angerer best game was against the steelers by far. Angerer and conner do always seem to be around the ball but i can't recall either of them making any big plays behind the line of scrimage. Such as tacles for losses or any really big hits that get a defense really going. Also out of there combined 141 tackles they have have only forced two fumbles. We really some of these guys on defense to be more

opportunistic. I do truly believe are defense would look alot better if Brackett was healthy and playing in the middle. We need some leadership out there.

They don't make plays behind the line because the line is getting stomped. Runners and receivers are always permitted to reach the second level, so our LB's are forced to make plays late. Thankfully, they arent missing tackles.

They don't make plays behind the line because the line is getting stomped. Runners and receivers are always permitted to reach the second level, so our LB's are forced to make plays late. Thankfully, they arent missing tackles.

I don't think they make a big plays period. i like angerer but he is a wrap up tackler. He wraps up the running, then drops his hips and allows the running to gain an extra couple of yards. It was said in a earlier post that alot of the tackles are made 4 to 5 yards past the line of scrimmage and thats true. He's not meeting people in the hole and stoping them for no gain. Angerer is still young and playing well. This defense looks better with Brackett in the middle, he fly's around alot better i think and he makes plays. We are also missing his leadership out there.

I don't think they make a big plays period. i like angerer but he is a wrap up tackler. He wraps up the running, then drops his hips and allows the running to gain an extra couple of yards. It was said in a earlier post that alot of the tackles are made 4 to 5 yards past the line of scrimmage and thats true. He's not meeting people in the hole and stoping them for no gain. Angerer is still young and playing well. This defense looks better with Brackett in the middle, he fly's around alot better i think and he makes plays. We are also missing his leadership out there.

I prefer a wrap-up tackler over a "hitter" because a hitter is going to whiff on a lot more tackles than a wrap-up tackler would. And the reason Angerer allows the extra couple of yards is simply because he's not big and strong enough to bring the bigger backs down right away. This is why I'm still in favor of drafting a LB to compete for the starting MLB spot and hopefully move Angerer back to OLB.

Brackett also lacked size and strength in this regard but he also whiffed on more tackles than Angerer does.

I don't think they make a big plays period. i like angerer but he is a wrap up tackler. He wraps up the running, then drops his hips and allows the running to gain an extra couple of yards. It was said in a earlier post that alot of the tackles are made 4 to 5 yards past the line of scrimmage and thats true. He's not meeting people in the hole and stoping them for no gain.

i completely agree!

And it also doesn't help when the offense continually goes 3 and out every drive so the defense is on the field longer = more tackles. We just haven't made enough plays or turnovers.

Edited by ssarow