Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What should the Bears do with Jay Cutler?

Sports Central1

What do all of you think the Bears and Jay Cutler should do?

If I was the Bears I would NOT resign Jay Cutler if he's looking for a long term deal with big money.  If he is willing to stay for a reasonable price for a couple of years that's fine.  I wouldn't give Cutler anything near what Peyton, Brady, Brees, Flacco are making for a couple of reasons...

1.) What's he done with the Bears since he's been there?  Lack of results.  I feel the Bears will continue to tread water with Cutler.

2.) Letting Cutler go they can save so much money to invest on their defense that needs it big time!

3.) They got a good if not very good back up QB who the Bears can roll with and keep him almost dirt cheap by today's standards.

4.) His attitude.

5.) Not a real leader in the locker room.  He seems to be a real pric% to his teammates.

I think Cutler's attitude and personality he would be much better suited in a smaller market.  Right now the best place for him might be Houston with the Texans.  It's not a very small market but it's not a huge one.  The Texans are in the market for a QB.

Teams I think Jay Cutler would be better suited in...

Texans

Rams

Titans

Bucs

Jaguars

Bills

Browns

Raiders?  hmmm I don't think that will help his career.

Keep him. You have no better option. McCown says he hasn't even decided if he's going to be in the NFL next season, so you can't just pin your hopes on him.

Keep him at what price?  If he wants super star money he certainly hasn't earned it nor deserves it.  Now if he were to have consistently taken his team to the playoffs and won a super bowl then sure.  But nothing really much has happened while he's been there and in fact it was their defense that took them to the Super Bowl in 2006 and Rex Grossman had more success while he was there.

Reason why McCown probably hasn't decided yet is because he doesn't want to be strung around by the Bears so I bet part of his indecision is due to the Bears not giving him the job as the starting QB.  He wants commitment and confirmation I bet.

Let Cutler go, give the job to McCown, use the money to rebuild in this year's draft and in free agency.  If it doesn't work out then wait for another QB to be a free agent in 2 to 3 years or draft one then.

How deep is this draft for QBs?  Their pick would likely be in the 20s; do they have a shot at a franchise QB at that spot?

Teams aren't stuck in their spot, they can do so many things like move up by making deals.  I'm not saying the Bears need to do what the Redskins did and give up the farm with the kitchen sink but try to get into the top 10 to select a QB or stay where they are in the draft and pick up some defensive players and go with McCown for next season.

How deep is this draft for QBs?  Their pick would likely be in the 20s; do they have a shot at a franchise QB at that spot?

Mettenberger tore his ACL in his last game. He was projected as a top 10 pick. The could draft Mettenberger in say round 2 and just ride McCown while he recovers.

I think he'll stay with the Bears, regardless. If the Bears go deep the playoffs with Cutler, he'll get big money from the Bears. I don't see them moving on. Cutler is a top ten QB; his major issue is staying healthy.

When are the Bears going to go deep into the playoffs?

We also have the ask and wonder does Cutler even want to stay in Chicago?  For all we know he could want to jump ship if another team offers him equal money or more money.  If I was Cutler and the Texans offered me a big deal I would take it.  I think the Texans actually have a better future than the Bears do for the next couple of years.  Texans just need strong QB play, their defense is still very good.  At the end of the day the Texans' only problem was at QB.

When are the Bears going to go deep into the playoffs?

We also have the ask and wonder does Cutler even want to stay in Chicago?  For all we know he could want to jump ship if another team offers him equal money or more money.  If I was Cutler and the Texans offered me a big deal I would take it.  I think the Texans actually have a better future than the Bears do for the next couple of years.  Texans just need strong QB play, their defense is still very good.  At the end of the day the Texans' only problem was at QB.

I said "if." People were writing the Ravens off this time last year, and Joe Flacco now has a $120m contract. I think Cutler is better than Flacco, easily.

I doubt the Texans would throw money at Cutler. They'll have a high draft pick, and drafting a QB would be cheaper and allow them to address their other needs more readily. I agree that they have a good roster, but not as good as you claim.

I also heard it might be possible for the Bears to put the franchise tag on Cutler.  That could be a possibility.

I'm certain that's what's going to happen...Iron man

Jay gets paid and gets time to prove the can take the bears to the playoffs..

....I think he;s a career loser but Trestman doesn't agree and he's a QB guru

I also heard it might be possible for the Bears to put the franchise tag on Cutler.  That could be a possibility.

I'm certain that's what's going to happen...Iron man

Jay gets paid and gets time to prove the can take the bears to the playoffs..

....I think he;s a career loser but Trestman doesn't agree and he's a QB guru

I said "if." People were writing the Ravens off this time last year, and Joe Flacco now has a $120m contract. I think Cutler is better than Flacco, easily.

I doubt the Texans would throw money at Cutler. They'll have a high draft pick, and drafting a QB would be cheaper and allow them to address their other needs more readily. I agree that they have a good roster, but not as good as you claim.

Cutler's stats are really not that good. He also has the knack for throwing the pick at the worst time kind of like Romo except at times Cutler does it on consecutive possessions. I don't know what it is about him but he plays like he has a ten cent head sometimes. That being said, I think Trestman likes him so he gets a deal. 

I never said or claimed the Texans are a great team, they're just better than the Bears "IF" they have the right QB and if they did have the right QB they are more balanced than the Bears since the Texans still have a very good defense.

But for any team to give Cutler big money is stupid.  He's not mentally strong enough.  He whined his way out of Denver and Tebow took the Broncos to the playoffs and beat the Steelers.  Cutler was to blame for his leaving Denver and not McDaniels.

The bottom line is Cutler still hasn't proved himself as an elite QB because he's not.  How many chances does this guy need to get his act together where people stop making excuses for him?  People claim it's because: "he got injured."  lol  Well Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Marino all got injured.  They also performed big time before they got injured and after they got injured.

Cutler is not a guy I would want on my team. Going back to his departure from the Broncos... there was a reason why Josh McDaniels didn't want a guy that talented. It's because of the baggage. Poor leadership skills, poor decision-making at critical moments, etc. The guy's throwing to arguably the best tandem of WRs every week and still makes head-scratching mistakes in judgment. 

Like they say: "Million Dollar Arm, Ten Cent Head." 

Maybe it's his background, coming from Vanderbilt. If a person gets used to losing it almost becomes second nature.

I predict...

That jay cutler goes to the texan's and the bear's trade for kirk cousins as part of a draft day trade.

Bears will franchise tag him because i) their owner is cheap enough and ii) Cutler still has not played an entire season without injury, so the owner is justified to have his doubts.

Texans will just move down and select Johnny Manziel that Mathis will be chasing around and it will be fun to watch in the division for a few years :).

Bears will franchise tag him because i) their owner is cheap enough and ii) Cutler still has not played an entire season without injury, so the owner is justified to have his doubts.

Texans will just move down and select Johnny Manziel that Mathis will be chasing around and it will be fun to watch in the division for a few years :).

I predict...

You're possibly right.

P.S. I'm as accurate as a magic 8 ball, so take it for what its worth.

Edited by Superman
formatting

I never said or claimed the Texans are a great team, they're just better than the Bears "IF" they have the right QB and if they did have the right QB they are more balanced than the Bears since the Texans still have a very good defense.

But for any team to give Cutler big money is stupid.  He's not mentally strong enough.  He whined his way out of Denver and Tebow took the Broncos to the playoffs and beat the Steelers.  Cutler was to blame for his leaving Denver and not McDaniels.

The bottom line is Cutler still hasn't proved himself as an elite QB because he's not.  How many chances does this guy need to get his act together where people stop making excuses for him?  People claim it's because: "he got injured."  lol  Well Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Marino all got injured.  They also performed big time before they got injured and after they got injured.

No one accused you of calling the Texans great. Some posters here think the Texans roster stinks; I don't, so we mostly agree there. But I think the Texans have to rebuild their entire offense, even with a new QB. They have a couple receiving options, but I'm assuming they get rid of Foster and Johnson after this season. That leaves them with no running backs, two young receivers and two young tight ends. Not bad, but nowhere near the weapons the Bears have. But they are ahead of the Bears defensively, no question about it.

Cutler isn't elite; again, I never said he was. No sense in compariing him to Brady, Manning, Rodgers or Marino. I said I think he's better than Flacco, who got $120m mostly because the Ravens made a deep playoff run. So "IF" the Bears go deep in the playoffs, I could see them throwing big money at Cutler, as I think he's a more capable QB than Flacco (not necessarily $20m/year like Flacco, but top ten money for a QB). And it makes more sense for the Bears to throw money at him than for the Texans to do so.

Lastly, I'm not making any excuses for Cutler. His shortcomings are obvious. But he's still a top ten QB, or at least on the fringe of that top ten, depending on varying opinions. 

No one accused you of calling the Texans great. Some posters here think the Texans roster stinks; I don't, so we mostly agree there. But I think the Texans have to rebuild their entire offense, even with a new QB. They have a couple receiving options, but I'm assuming they get rid of Foster and Johnson after this season. That leaves them with no running backs, two young receivers and two young tight ends. Not bad, but nowhere near the weapons the Bears have. But they are ahead of the Bears defensively, no question about it.

Cutler isn't elite; again, I never said he was. No sense in compariing him to Brady, Manning, Rodgers or Marino. I said I think he's better than Flacco, who got $120m mostly because the Ravens made a deep playoff run. So "IF" the Bears go deep in the playoffs, I could see them throwing big money at Cutler, as I think he's a more capable QB than Flacco (not necessarily $20m/year like Flacco, but top ten money for a QB). And it makes more sense for the Bears to throw money at him than for the Texans to do so.

Lastly, I'm not making any excuses for Cutler. His shortcomings are obvious. But he's still a top ten QB, or at least on the fringe of that top ten, depending on varying opinions. 

I'll still take Flacco over Cutler.  Both had great defenses but Flacco is a winner and a super bowl MVP who for the most part owned the Patriots till he injured his knee.  Flacco is more respected and liked by his teammates and isn't as polarizing or controversial.  Flacco performs and steps up on the big stage when it matters most. Flacco's regular season stats aren't great and neither are Big Ben's but they win.  Flacco's post season numbers are better than Cutler's and he throws fewer INT's.  Regular season stats mean nothing at the end of the day.

Flacco has made multiple deep playoff runs and won a super bowl and super bowl MVP out of it and that's why he got the money.  If the Bears don't win the super bowl then they shouldn't offer Cutler a big contract since he didn't earn or deserve it.  Flacco's contract was earned.

lol @ giving Cutler a big contract just because they made the playoffs this year.  Here's why that is stupid...

Cutler can't stay healthy. The Bears making the playoffs isn't really due to Cutler, it's due to McCown and them stepping up when Cutler was out.  The Bears making the playoffs is also due to the Vikings being horrible, the Lions choking and Aaron Rodgers injured (Rodgers won a Super Bowl and taken his team deep into the playoffs multiple times though.)  If Rodgers didn't get injured then most likely the Packers would be in the playoffs now.  Brian Urlacher said the Bears should go with McCown.  Urlacher is respected and listened to by the football world and Chicago fans and Chicago media.  He was possibly saying what many Bears players have been saying and thinking in the locker room.  There were reports and rumors the locker room is divided between Cutler vs McCown.  Urlacher knows the Bears locker room more than you do.  I'll take his inside word over the speculation and assumptions of random posters.  When your #1 starting QB can't get the team to rally behind him then Cutler isn't deserving of big money.  The Bears could have been playing and winning out of spite without Cutler. 

It's more wise for the Bears to not focus on the short term with Cutler and focus on the long term and rebuild their defense now and go with a cheaper QB to shore up cap space and then down the road go after a better QB.

I'll still take Flacco over Cutler. Both had great defenses but Flacco is a winner and a super bowl MVP who for the most part owned the Patriots till he injured his knee. Flacco is more respected and liked by his teammates and isn't as polarizing or controversial. Flacco performs and steps up on the big stage when it matters most. Flacco's regular season stats aren't great and neither are Big Ben's but they win. Flacco's post season numbers are better than Cutler's and he throws fewer INT's. Regular season stats mean nothing at the end of the day.

Flacco has made multiple deep playoff runs and won a super bowl and super bowl MVP out of it and that's why he got the money. If the Bears don't win the super bowl then they shouldn't offer Cutler a big contract since he didn't earn or deserve it. Flacco's contract was earned.

lol @ giving Cutler a big contract just because they made the playoffs this year. Here's why that is stupid...

Cutler can't stay healthy. The Bears making the playoffs isn't really due to Cutler, it's due to McCown and them stepping up when Cutler was out. The Bears making the playoffs is also due to the Vikings being horrible, the Lions choking and Aaron Rodgers injured (Rodgers won a Super Bowl and taken his team deep into the playoffs multiple times though.) If Rodgers didn't get injured then most likely the Packers would be in the playoffs now. Brian Urlacher said the Bears should go with McCown. Urlacher is respected and listened to by the football world and Chicago fans and Chicago media. He was possibly saying what many Bears players have been saying and thinking in the locker room. There were reports and rumors the locker room is divided between Cutler vs McCown. Urlacher knows the Bears locker room more than you do. I'll take his inside word over the speculation and assumptions of random posters. When your #1 starting QB can't get the team to rally behind him then Cutler isn't deserving of big money. The Bears could have been playing and winning out of spite without Cutler.

It's more wise for the Bears to not focus on the short term with Cutler and focus on the long term and rebuild their defense now and go with a cheaper QB to shore up cap space and then down the road go after a better QB.

Whatever dude. If you didn't want to hear opinions, you shouldn't have started the thread.

You really think he is top 10? His stats say otherwise and Flacco seems like a better leader and definitely better situationally in big moments. It is an interesting comparison as Cutler has had a solid run game and stout D like Flacco yet just one playoff appearance. I would argue that Flacco is a lot better than Cutler.