Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck

Dark Superman

I don't like the comparison, but I'd like to point out that Andrew Luck has fewer interceptions through 31 games than Peyton Manning had in his first 16. I'm the biggest Manning fan there is, but people did a great deal of complaining about Luck's interceptions last year. He's protected the ball very well for a young QB who's been asked to carry his offense.

Depth upgrades happen every year on every team. People calling for wholesale change on the O line starters are going to be sorely dissapointed, and as I pointed out, there will likely only be a change at center in the starting group. Most of the big moves will likely be on the defensive side of the ball, likely an ILB, a pass rushing prospect, and a much needed upgrade to Bethea at safety.

I am not a big fan of Bethea because of his inadequecies is pass defense.

BUT, if the guys in front of him are doing a solid job, which i am certain they have done the last 2 games, he should be placed in fewer bad matchups, and can let his strengths, being in the right spot/tackling, allow him to be a solid contributor to the team defense. Of course I hope the next man up behind him is found ASAP. Depth Depth Depth

Chapmans play was Stallwart Sunday helping our ILB`s, even Sheppard, McNary`s speed in passing situations & rushing rather than having  Angerer was a difference, getting just a little more Soundness out of Werner, and units experience together and practice, well, the overall improvement is REAL. As it should be this late in the season Credit is due.

I don't like the comparison, but I'd like to point out that Andrew Luck has fewer interceptions through 31 games than Peyton Manning had in his first 16. I'm the biggest Manning fan there is, but people did a great deal of complaining about Luck's interceptions last year. He's protected the ball very well for a young QB who's been asked to carry his offense.

uh yow, HAPPY FEET had a 100 Int.s after 5 seasons with Those Weapons!

A Colts fan remembers and gets it. Not so much a Manning fan. Such is life.

We might have a good offense but we will never "light up" anybody with Pep's play calling and the conservative philosophy of this staff. We are trying to play old fashion conservative power football don't make mistakes don't beat yourself, etc. while Denver/Philadelphia are pushing the envelope forward.

Power football is the key to winning in the playoffs:  Ball control and good defensive play

There have also been multiple rule changes that have allowed Luck, and other QB's, to perform better than Peyton did in his first 2 years.   ;)

Meh; players still throw picks, even veterans. Eli Manning has 41 picks in his last 31 games, in fewer attempts than Luck. Drew Brees has 31, with about 100 more attempts. Luck only has 27.

I think the point is that Luck's rookie interceptions were always brought up as a major criticism, and that's reasonable. But it was never an indication that he wasn't going to be a good QB.

By the way, I'd argue that the rules changes have impacted completion percentage, yards and touchdowns more than they've impacted total interceptions. The real change has been interception percentage. More attempts, similar number of interceptions.

Meh; players still throw picks, even veterans. Eli Manning has 41 picks in his last 31 games, in fewer attempts than Luck. Drew Brees has 31, with about 100 more attempts. Luck only has 27.

I think the point is that Luck's rookie interceptions were always brought up as a major criticism, and that's reasonable. But it was never an indication that he wasn't going to be a good QB.

By the way, I'd argue that the rules changes have impacted completion percentage, yards and touchdowns more than they've impacted total interceptions. The real change has been interception percentage. More attempts, similar number of interceptions.

I didn't say anything about interceptions :P 

I completely agree with you that the rule changes have allowed for better completion %, yards and TDs.  I do think Interceptions would be affected as well but not as much.  I was simply making a point that rules have changed and the game has changed to the point that passing is easier now than it was in 1998.  It's like trying to compare Manning's 51 TD passes to Marino's 48 back in '84.   :)

More to the point, Andrew Luck has the 6th lowest interception rate in NFL history.

Yeah, small sample size, different era, and Griffin and Kaep would be ahead of him if they had enough attempts to qualify (though Wilson wouldn't), but still, pretty good.

It still amazes me that whenever someone starts an Andrew Luck thread it always turns into a Manning Vs Luck debate!!!  Can't we Colt Fans just enjoy the fact that we are the Luckiest *S in the NFL!!  We had 13 Great Seasons with Peyton and then had Andrew Luck DROPPED in our laps.  Why question our good fortune - sit back and bask in the fact that 75% of the rest of the NFL would KILL to be in our shoes.

Andrew Luck is my Quarter Back and that's all that matters to me lol.  GO COLTS!!  :colts:

i think people were more concerned with his completion percentage than his INT's.  But, when given some time, he makes less bad throws, every now and again he'll make a head-scratcher even without pressure.  That would be something to watch to look for improvement on.

Reitz is very expensive - if you had to pay him by the minutes he actually plays.

The guy has plenty of potential, but he's always getting hurt.

Bob sanders is like man that guy gets hurt a lot...

In seriousness I think that's why the Colts won't commit to him as a starter. He just can't stay healthy.