Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL salary cap for 2014 projected at $126.3m

Superman

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/12/11/2104-nfl-salary-cap/3994927/

This isn't a final number, won't be finalized until right before the 2014 league year begins in March. But that's a welcome increase. Being modest, I was expecting $125m. 

The Colts number for next year is projected at $87.3m, giving them $38.1m in cap space, according to Spotrac. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/12/11/2104-nfl-salary-cap/3994927/

This isn't a final number, won't be finalized until right before the 2014 league year begins in March. But that's a welcome increase. Being modest, I was expecting $125m.

The Colts number for next year is projected at $87.3m, giving them $38.1m in cap space, according to Spotrac.

We get more from cutting and letting players walk right?

We get more from cutting and letting players walk right?

Depends on who we cut, and when. We'd get $4m from cutting Satele, but it would cost us $500k if we cut Landry (just a for instance).

We don't get anything more from letting players walk. This figure is prior to us re-signing any of our pending free agents. So part of that $38m will be used to keep our own guys, assuming we do so.

Depends on who we cut, and when. We'd get $4m from cutting Satele, but it would cost us $500k if we cut Landry (just a for instance).

We don't get anything more from letting players walk. This figure is prior to us re-signing any of our pending free agents. So part of that $38m will be used to keep our own guys, assuming we do so.

Yeah ik your pretty good with the cap stuff I'm not at all so I ask others lol if we were to cut Toler and satele wat would our cap be?

I expect that the higher the cap the higher players wage expectations will be, correct?

There's seriously no telling. Last offseason was just weird, and the cap went up a bit more than people expected it to. But a lot of players that were assumed to get big money didn't get it. 

So looking at Spotrac and each guys salary, what do you do to figure out what we'd save by cutting them? It looks like you just take their cap hit and subtract the dead money portion to see what we save or sacrifice by cutting someone. For instance cutting RJF (not that I want to), would result in us gaining 1 mil in cap space?

So looking at Spotrac and each guys salary, what do you do to figure out what we'd save by cutting them? It looks like you just take their cap hit and subtract the dead money portion to see what we save or sacrifice by cutting someone. For instance cutting RJF (not that I want to), would result in us gaining 1 mil in cap space?

For simple contracts, that's pretty much it. It gets tricky when there's guaranteed salary or other bonuses that come into play.

I'm not sure how Spotrac is getting that dead number for RJF's contract. They have him with prorated bonus of $1.875m, so that's the cap penalty. To me, if we were to cut him before 2014, the cap hit would be $1.875m, and we'd save $4.5m against the 2014 cap. If he has guaranteed salary in 2014 that Spotrac is not listing, or if there's a bonus that's been paid or will be paid before the season starts, then that changes. But based on how they've broken down his contract, their dead number is inaccurate.

Here is the list of unrestricted and restricted free agents that we have.

Pat McAfee - UFA

Pat Angerer - UFA

Antoine Bethea - UFA

Ahmad Bradhsaw - UFA

Sergio Borwn - UFA

Donald Brown - UFA

Tashard Choice - UFA
Vontae Davis - UFA

Kavell Connoer - RFA

Aubrayo Franklin UFA

Josh Gordy - RFA

DHB - UFA

Justin Hickman - ERFA

Cam Johnson - ERFA

Jeff Linkenbach - UFA

Scott Lutrus - RFA

Ricardo Mathews - UFA

Mike McGlynn - UFA

Fili Moala - UFA

Joe Reitz - RFA

Lwerence Sidbury - UFA

Cassius Vaughn - UFA

Adam Vinatieri - UFA

Pat McAfee - UFA

Pat Angerer - UFA

Antoine Bethea - UFA

Ahmad Bradhsaw - UFA

Sergio Borwn - UFA

Donald Brown - UFA

Tashard Choice - UFA

Vontae Davis - UFA

Kavell Connoer - RFA

Aubrayo Franklin UFA

Josh Gordy - RFA

DHB - UFA

Justin Hickman - ERFA

Cam Johnson - ERFA

Jeff Linkenbach - UFA

Scott Lutrus - RFA

Ricardo Mathews - UFA

Mike McGlynn - UFA

Fili Moala - UFA

Joe Reitz - RFA

Lwerence Sidbury - UFA

Cassius Vaughn - UFA

Adam Vinatieri - UFA

I see a lot of guys it would be easy to let walk or re sign at little cost.

The obvious re signs imo are:

McAfee

Sergio Brown

Vontae Davis

Donald Brown could come back on a reasonable deal, Reitz being an RFA gives Indy leverage in keeping him for at least one more year at a reasonable price. I can see Moala being brought back to continue as depth on the d line.

Franklin may be gone depending on if they like what they have seen out of Hughes and Chapman. I dont see how Angerer comes back unless they simply cant find a replacement at ILB. Sidbury may get another shot at playing if the injury is considered a fluke thing. Vinatieri is so old, but still very good, that is a toss up as a re sign, though he could just as easily hang em up after this year.

Everyine else I either think is gone or dont know enough about to project.

Pat McAfee - UFA

Pat Angerer - UFA

Antoine Bethea - UFA

Ahmad Bradhsaw - UFA

Sergio Borwn - UFA

Donald Brown - UFA

Tashard Choice - UFA

Vontae Davis - UFA

Kavell Connoer - RFA ???

Aubrayo Franklin UFA

Josh Gordy - RFA

DHB - UFA

Justin Hickman - ERFA

Cam Johnson - ERFA

Jeff Linkenbach - UFA

Scott Lutrus - RFA

Ricardo Mathews - UFA

Mike McGlynn - UFA

Fili Moala - UFA

Joe Reitz - RFA

Lwerence Sidbury - UFA

Cassius Vaughn - UFA

Adam Vinatieri - UFA

I'd let everyone crossed out walk. Don't let the door hit you...

I think Donald Brown will get an offer from a team to be a #2 back, and I think he'll take it. If not, I'd offer him a one year deal for no more than $1.5m. I expect Vinatieri to retire. 

I'd tender the RFAs. 

I don't think Conner is an RFA, I believe he's a UFA. If he is an RFA, I'd tender him. If not, I'd offer him a one year deal at the tender level.

Everyone else, it would just come down to the money. Vontae Davis will get some offers, and I wouldn't want to break the bank for him. I've been saying four years, $30m, and lately that seems rich, given his play. I'd like to keep McAfee, but I don't know whether the front office agrees (they evidently didn't even talk about a long term deal last offseason). The rest of the UFAs that I didn't cross out would be just for depth / special teams value. We can easily replace them and/or live without them. 

Pat McAfee - UFAPat Angerer - UFAAntoine Bethea - UFAAhmad Bradhsaw - UFA

Sergio Borwn - UFADonald Brown - UFATashard Choice - UFA

Vontae Davis - UFA

Kavell Connoer - RFA ???

Aubrayo Franklin UFA

Josh Gordy - RFADHB - UFA

Justin Hickman - ERFA

Cam Johnson - ERFA

Jeff Linkenbach - UFAScott Lutrus - RFARicardo Mathews - UFAMike McGlynn - UFA

Fili Moala - UFA

Joe Reitz - RFALwerence Sidbury - UFACassius Vaughn - UFAAdam Vinatieri - UFA

I think Donald Brown will get an offer from a team to be a #2 back, and I think he'll take it. If not, I'd offer him a one year deal for no more than $1.5m. I expect Vinatieri to retire. 

I'd tender the RFAs. 

I don't think Conner is an RFA, I believe he's a UFA. If he is an RFA, I'd tender him. If not, I'd offer him a one year deal at the tender level.

Everyone else, it would just come down to the money. Vontae Davis will get some offers, and I wouldn't want to break the bank for him. I've been saying four years, $30m, and lately that seems rich, given his play. I'd like to keep McAfee, but I don't know whether the front office agrees (they evidently didn't even talk about a long term deal last offseason). The rest of the UFAs that I didn't cross out would be just for depth / special teams value. We can easily replace them and/or live without them.

I would consider trying to keep Bradshaw simply because his injury wasn't related to his feet. He should be dirt cheap, but in the end he probably wants to go some where with a less crowded backfield.

There's seriously no telling. Last offseason was just weird, and the cap went up a bit more than people expected it to. But a lot of players that were assumed to get big money didn't get it. 

Prolly cus' teams are figuring out lower tier players are worth more cus' injuries.

I would consider trying to keep Bradshaw simply because his injury wasn't related to his feet. He should be dirt cheap, but in the end he probably wants to go some where with a less crowded backfield.

I think he'll want a real shot at a starting spot. Won't get it here, with Ballard and Richardson. 

I think we need a couple new backs to compete, someone who can play the scat back role, maybe even return kicks. I just can't see us keeping Bradshaw.

Pat McAfee - UFA

Pat Angerer - UFA

Antoine Bethea - UFA

Ahmad Bradhsaw - UFA

Sergio Borwn - UFA

Donald Brown - UFA

Tashard Choice - UFA

Vontae Davis - UFA

Kavell Connoer - RFA ???

Aubrayo Franklin UFA

Josh Gordy - RFA

DHB - UFA

Justin Hickman - ERFA

Cam Johnson - ERFA

Jeff Linkenbach - UFA

Scott Lutrus - RFA

Ricardo Mathews - UFA

Mike McGlynn - UFA

Fili Moala - UFA

Joe Reitz - RFA

Lwerence Sidbury - UFA

Cassius Vaughn - UFA

Adam Vinatieri - UFA

I'd tender the RFAs. 

What's all this hate on CV about? He's our best corner this year (most picks/huge key for us wrapping up the division agains't the titans). Yes, i'm quite aware he's not starter material, but he (maybe D.B. also) might be the best nickle/dime back in all of football. Man, you guys are blind if you don't see his weekly contributions. Not to mention, he's an awesome return guy.

What's all this hate on CV about? He's our best corner this year (most picks/huge key for us wrapping up the division agains't the titans). Yes, i'm quite aware he's not starter material, but he (maybe D.B. also) might be the best nickle/dime back in all of football. Man, you guys are blind if you don't see his weekly contributions. Not to mention, he's an awesome return guy.

Dont know what youre seeing, but 8/10 times Cassius Vaughn is a liability in coverage because of his inability to turn his head and make a play on the ball despite keeping tight coverage. Hence his nickname "neckbrace".

Dont know what youre seeing, but 8/10 times Cassius Vaughn is a liability in coverage because of his inability to turn his head and make a play on the ball despite keeping tight coverage. Hence his nickname "neckbrace".

That's because he's not a starter...never was. He does have trouble turning, but when he plays inside with the action in front of him, he's a ballhawk. He's our nickle/dime guy.

What's all this hate on CV about? He's our best corner this year (most picks/huge key for us wrapping up the division agains't the titans). Yes, i'm quite aware he's not starter material, but he (maybe D.B. also) might be the best nickle/dime back in all of football. Man, you guys are blind if you don't see his weekly contributions. Not to mention, he's an awesome return guy.

I don't want him at corner. He's a liability in coverage, especially if/when he has to cover someone on the outside or step in as a starter. I'd rather fill the roster with players who don't hurt the team when they have to step up into a starter's role.

To be honest, I'd rather play him at safety. Like you said, playing with the action in front of him, he plays well. He's a decent tackler. He's an option as a returner (though we could do better). So if we move him to safety and have him as a backup, then that's fine. And he could be depth as a dimeback.