Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UPDATE: Gronkowski torn ACL, MCL, out for season

GoColts8818

It has nothing to do with our defensive coordinator..  They lost both defensive captains (the only defensive captains) in Mayo and Wilfork which is an insane loss of talent and leadership right up the gut of the defense.  They lost Tommy Kelly the other veteran DT that was playing solid and was a big free agent pickup for them.  

They were playing 5 rookies on defense against the Browns..   5 rookies...  trying to play in a complex defense with a complex game plan..   What did you think was going to happen?

I hope you're not a Patriots fan.  If you are then you're the type that really gives Pats fans a bad name by always making excuses.

Patriots had Wilfork and Mayo during the 2011 super bowl.  Wilfork was shut down by the Giants offensive line for most that game and Mayo didn't do good.

Every team in the NFL has to deal with injuries.  Injuries are no excuses.

In both the Super Bowls the Patriots lost to the Giants they were outplayed by a more physical emotional team with a better defense.  Patriots' D couldn't get off the field in those games.  Patriots are just not a good balanced team.  They aren't built for the post season and haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004, 9 years.  Pats lost their way during the 2007 season when they became a finesse offensive team.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good news for the Pats is, aside from QB, they've been one of the deepest teams in the NFL year after year due to great coaching/personnel decisions.

Still, a lot of big names down. Gronk is irreplaceable as is Wilfork, but the Pats can still find a way to get the job done. Might need a little luck/bounces/calls but they're no  stranger to getting any of that.

I wish the Pats would go back to the way they were pre-2007.  For 2007 the Pats brought in Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth and had the most powerful offense of all time up until that point and it didn't work out.  They got away from their roots and so did Belichick.  Pete Carroll in 2 seasons as head coach of the Seahawks has built a better D than Belichick has in 7 years.

I wish the Pats would go back to the way they were pre-2007.  For 2007 the Pats brought in Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth and had the most powerful offense of all time up until that point and it didn't work out.  They got away from their roots and so did Belichick.  Pete Carroll in 2 seasons as head coach of the Seahawks has built a better D than Belichick has in 7 years.

The D is still good - they're turnover machines. Leading the AFC for the third year in a row if I'm not mistaken, though KC might have one more than they do.

Compared to 2001-2006ish though they're not even close. They peaked in 2004. D of the decade. Those defenses could win games, these days it can only keep the Patriots in games for, hopefully, the offense/special teams to throw up some points/get field position.

It's worked out the past few weeks with a call or bounce here and there. Many wins not including the last 3 have been like that, too. The losses were all close as well.

Belichick the coach covers for Belichich the GM an awful lot. His defenses have plain stunk but this year they were looking formidable until the injuries. He blew up the O and the new pieces seem ok but I agree get away from the TEs and go back to the WRs which I think they are doing with Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce and the run game.

The D is still good - they're turnover machines. Leading the AFC for the third year in a row if I'm not mistaken, though KC might have one more than they do.

Compared to 2001-2006ish though they're not even close. They peaked in 2004. D of the decade. Those defenses could win games, these days it can only keep the Patriots in games for, hopefully, the offense/special teams to throw up some points/get field position.

It's worked out the past few weeks with a call or bounce here and there. Many wins not including the last 3 have been like that, too. The losses were all close as well.

The D is still good? Not really

The D is still good? Not really

Well, now that I think about it you're right. A lot of those turnovers happened earlier in the season, and now they have too many big names down. That run D gets trampled.

Overall not terrible, but I'd say average at best.

Championship caliber? No. If they pull it off this year it will be nothing short of impressive.

There is only so much a team can overcome.

A team can only give out so many big contracts for core players that are the pillars of the team.  They have lost nearly every one of their top players/salaries/captains...

Wilfork = done for year.. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap.. team captain

jerod mayo = done for year.. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap..  team captain

Sebastian Vollmer = done for year. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap.  all pro RT and big FA signing from last year.

Gronk = done for year. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap. all pro & one of nfls biggest super stars.. cannot be replaced.

tommy kelly = done for year.. big veteran DT signing to sure up defensive line..  

They also have Aaron Dobson and Thompkins injured right now...  so the offense has Edelman and Amendola as its #1 and #2 WR, with Boyce (rookie) and Collie providing depth.. and basically no tight ends on the roster to speak of.

Marcus Cannon was injured and he was replacing Vollmer on at RT.. so now we're on our 3rd string RT. Brady is the 6th most sacked QB in the league this year already.

Dennard has been injured in the secondary, Talib has been nursing a hip flexor...

The only star talent the Patriots have left on their team now is Brady, Mankins, McCourty and Chandler Jones..  with an argument made for Talib i suppose as well.. but its going to be difficult starting 5 rookies on defense and starting 2-3 WRs a game that are rookies, along with some rookie no name Tight Ends.

If Brady can manage to keep winning with these circumstances.. its pretty clear that hes the MVP, but he doesn't have any chance to actually win the award.

The league better look out next year though when they get all of these guys back from injury...  they're going to be out for blood.

Nice post JM51. Your squad has been decimated this year as so have so eloquently stated. You do bring up a fascinating question though JM51: What's more important the most TDs with the least number of interceptions in 1 season or still winning games with several vital pieces down & out for the count? NE refuses to die or throw in the towel & I have more respect for Tom Brady than I did in 2007 with WR Randy Moss. 

If an MVP Award had to do with incredible resiliency & doing more with less or remaining competitive with less, you'd sure make a compelling case. It's kind of like asking whose more valuable a great NASCAR driver or  a member of the ambulance crew who removes the same driver from a burning car & saves his life? It depends if you view the MVP Award as a statistical supremacy trophy or a rise above adversity award like a medal of honor purple heart recipient in the military. Good question. I never thought it that way before. I suppose that Comeback Player Of The Year Award might fill that injury void question, but the CPOYA is usually reserved for 1 athlete not an entire NFL squad crippled with key injuries. 

Cool perspective though thanks JM51.  :hat:

There is only so much a team can overcome.

A team can only give out so many big contracts for core players that are the pillars of the team.  They have lost nearly every one of their top players/salaries/captains...

Wilfork = done for year.. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap.. team captain

jerod mayo = done for year.. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap..  team captain

Sebastian Vollmer = done for year. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap.  all pro RT and big FA signing from last year.

Gronk = done for year. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap. all pro & one of nfls biggest super stars.. cannot be replaced.

tommy kelly = done for year.. big veteran DT signing to sure up defensive line..  

They also have Aaron Dobson and Thompkins injured right now...  so the offense has Edelman and Amendola as its #1 and #2 WR, with Boyce (rookie) and Collie providing depth.. and basically no tight ends on the roster to speak of.

Marcus Cannon was injured and he was replacing Vollmer on at RT.. so now we're on our 3rd string RT. Brady is the 6th most sacked QB in the league this year already.

Dennard has been injured in the secondary, Talib has been nursing a hip flexor...

The only star talent the Patriots have left on their team now is Brady, Mankins, McCourty and Chandler Jones..  with an argument made for Talib i suppose as well.. but its going to be difficult starting 5 rookies on defense and starting 2-3 WRs a game that are rookies, along with some rookie no name Tight Ends.

If Brady can manage to keep winning with these circumstances.. its pretty clear that hes the MVP, but he doesn't have any chance to actually win the award.

The league better look out next year though when they get all of these guys back from injury...  they're going to be out for blood.

Brady for MVP ? That's ridiculous. You call yesterday an MVP performance ? He had about a 25 Qb rating with 2 minutes left in the game. Cleveland is up 19-6 goes into a prevent and Brady does have a nice drive and gets a TD pass. Game pretty much over as nobody recovers on sides kicks anymore... about 20 %. Anyway kick off from midfield and he gets a short fied , a hideous PI call and a 1 yard td pass. C'mon.  

He's in no way had an MVP season.  Still a great QB but l ets face it , the pats have had 3 ridiculous wins and should never be 10-3. I think he being MVP would only be "clear" to a small group that lives in Boston.

Why will the league be in trouble next year ? Because "they will be out for blood" ?  Are you drinking and posting again ?

That is very true, but there would not be the new rules if not for the lawsuits by the former players.  Kind of a catch 22, the current players would rather hit high than low, but the NFL is afraid of future lawsuits and is reacting to that fear.

Yea, well the NFL better be watchful for current players sue'ing for hitting low! Way to go, Mr. Goodell!

Oh yeah? Look all the suspensions...

Sherman few games, Browner suspended for a year, Irvin suspended for the first few weeks of the season... That tells you a lot about the team and what's going on in the background. Now the NFL watches closely over the Seahawks practices too.

Let us not forget, the Seahawks have had some high draft picks over the Patriots.

The patriots team is usually one of the last ones to draft in round one.

Sherman few games, Browner suspended for a year, Irvin suspended for the first few weeks of the season... That tells you a lot about the team and what's going on in the background. Now the NFL watches closely over the Seahawks practices too.

Let us not forget, the Seahawks have had some high draft picks over the Patriots.

Coaching in the NFL falls under 3 categories: Teaching, leadership mentoring, & overall team discipline. Pete Carroll excels in 2 of those 3 categories, but he falls significantly short on player discipline going back to his college days as the HC at the University Of Spoiled Children IMHO. 

Maybe it's a see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil approach with Pete I don't know...

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Every team in the NFL has to deal with injuries.  Injuries are no excuses.

In both the Super Bowls the Patriots lost to the Giants they were outplayed by a more physical emotional team with a better defense.  Patriots' D couldn't get off the field in those games.  Patriots are just not a good balanced team.  They aren't built for the post season and haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004, 9 years.  Pats lost their way during the 2007 season when they became a finesse offensive team.

It's hard to disagree with a lot of this, and Belichick's record in personnel decisions is a lot less impressive than his coaching record. 

Early this season, the defense was shaping up pretty darn well though. They have some pieces in the secondary now that they didn't have in 2011, namely Talib, Dennard, and a very solid converted safety in McCourty. So while you're correct in that they had Wilfork and Mayo in 2011, they really didn't have the back-end-defense players for that run. Don't forget, that was the year that UDFA Sterling Moore was starting at corner in the Super Bowl.

I hear you in regards to longing for the days of play-making defensive guys... I also miss guys like McGinest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, etc. But I'm a lot more optimistic than you are regarding the current state of their defense. I think they had a plan this season that fell apart when the injuries started piling up. They have a good solid core of young players. I'm not happy with where they are, especially right now, but I can't say I'm unhappy about where they're heading. No matter how 2013 turns out I'll probably be pretty optimistic about 2014. 

What happened to that thread where Gronk was the greatest TE of all time ? Unfortunately, the poor guy is injury prone and will probably never compile the long term stats necessary to get to the top.

Sadly I think this is going to be more truth than untruth. I've noticed over the years that he takes a lot of tough shots, probably because although he's big and strong, he's also got sort of a lankiness to him. Defenders have to really throw themselves into hits and as a result he takes some awfully hard shots. When you watch Jimmy Graham play, he just seems to absorb the hits a little better. Almost like Gronk's own size and strength could be working against him at times. 

I have to say, in nearly 40 years of watching football, that I've never seen a player quite like Gronk. He can't be covered by linebackers because he's too fast and athletic, but he can't be covered by DBs either because they're too small to handle him. He's a matchup nightmare and a half. You can't really duplicate that.

Sadly I think this is going to be more truth than untruth. I've noticed over the years that he takes a lot of tough shots, probably because although he's big and strong, he's also got sort of a lankiness to him. Defenders have to really throw themselves into hits and as a result he takes some awfully hard shots. When you watch Jimmy Graham play, he just seems to absorb the hits a little better. Almost like Gronk's own size and strength could be working against him at times. 

I have to say, in nearly 40 years of watching football, that I've never seen a player quite like Gronk. He can't be covered by linebackers because he's too fast and athletic, but he can't be covered by DBs either because they're too small to handle him. He's a matchup nightmare and a half. You can't really duplicate that.

A lot of it is probably simple dumb bad luck. People are quick to label a guy as injury prone in this league, and maybe he doesn't protect himself well enough. Injuries are so common in the nfl, some guys are gonna be hurt repeatedly just by chance.

Part of greatness is the ability and awareness Gronk clearly possesses. The other part is the luck to have a long healthy career. Unfortunately luck hasn't really been on his side so far.

haha "Oh yeah? Look all the suspensions...

Sherman few games, Browner suspended for a year, Irvin suspended for the first few weeks of the season... That tells you a lot about the team and what's going on in the background. Now the NFL watches closely over the Seahawks practices too."

I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT ANY OF THAT!  The media tends to not really report aggressively about bad behavior among other teams as much as they do about the Patriots.  If all those things happened to the Pats then it would be a national conversation and debate about the Pats and Belichick's way.

But, the Seahawks with all their faults and players suspended are still one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Since 2001 the Patriots for many years had top 20 slots in the first round of the draft and decided to trade down and load up on draft picks.  The Pats could have selected Clay Mathews one year in the top 17 but traded that slot to the Packers.  So what is also hurting the Patriots is not being aggressive in the draft.  A lot of the players that were on their super bowl winning teams were already there before Belichick.  A lot of those players were there from Bill Parcells and Pete Carrol.

Seahawks practices could be like watching auditions for "Universal Soldiers" movies with syringes in their pockets, LOL :).

haha "Oh yeah? Look all the suspensions...

Sherman few games, Browner suspended for a year, Irvin suspended for the first few weeks of the season... That tells you a lot about the team and what's going on in the background. Now the NFL watches closely over the Seahawks practices too."

I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT ANY OF THAT!  The media tends to not really report aggressively about bad behavior among other teams as much as they do about the Patriots.  If all those things happened to the Pats then it would be a national conversation and debate about the Pats and Belichick's way.

But, the Seahawks with all their faults and players suspended are still one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Since 2001 the Patriots for many years had top 20 slots in the first round of the draft and decided to trade down and load up on draft picks.  The Pats could have selected Clay Mathews one year in the top 17 but traded that slot to the Packers.  So what is also hurting the Patriots is not being aggressive in the draft.  A lot of the players that were on their super bowl winning teams were already there before Belichick.  A lot of those players were there from Bill Parcells and Pete Carrol.

The Patriots are held to higher standards than the rest of the NFL. I see what you mean by "Hurting the Patriots" but who wins more than them? It's hard to question Bill's philosophy.

What happened to that thread where Gronk was the greatest TE of all time ? Unfortunately, the poor guy is injury prone and will probably never compile the long term stats necessary to get to the top.

As I said in that thread, Gronk is an absolute beast. However unlike, say, Tony Gonzalez who is ancient and still getting it done the guy just can't stay on the field for a full season. (Although he did his rookie year, I believe.) It's hard to pin him as the GOAT at TE because of this. That could very well change over the next 4-5 years whether the Pats win another championship or not.

That doesn't make Gronk any less of a great player when he plays. It's a very Bob Sanders situation - great player, never there when you need him. Though Gronk is certainly more durable than our old safety was as at least he plays more than 50% of his games.

Another thing to consider is, after 5-6ish seasons, Gronk probably won't have a great QB like Brady throwing it to him anymore. Gronk will be a lot older then, too. We'll see if he's still playing and if he is - how well his body has held up.

Seahawks practices could be like watching auditions for "Universal Soldiers" movies with syringes in their pockets, LOL :).

Way to pull out an old Dolph Lundgren & Jean-Claude Van Damme movie reference Chad. You get major bonus points for that one.  haha  :thmup:

I still love Dolph Lundgren in "Rocky IV" "I must break you" & then he gets his daily steroid injection. Clean Americans vs those darn dirty Communists. The Cold War in a boxing ring. Just kidding! 

Hey, Rocky 4 in roman numerals spells IV anyway. The audience should have seen the cheating coming right? 

A lot of it is probably simple dumb bad luck. People are quick to label a guy as injury prone in this league, and maybe he doesn't protect himself well enough. Injuries are so common in the nfl, some guys are gonna be hurt repeatedly just by chance.

Part of greatness is the ability and awareness Gronk clearly possesses. The other part is the luck to have a long healthy career. Unfortunately luck hasn't really been on his side so far.

There is something to be said for a player protecting himself.  The one thing with ACL injuries is that, as a player, if you see a guy going low, you best get your cleats out of the ground.  What I mean by that is that generally speaking, many of these injuries are caused by the foot being planted and the knee flexing in a way it wasn't designed to flex.  This happened to Brady during the year Cassell started and earned his money; and I've seen it several times.  There are fluke injuries like the one Wayne experienced this year, but a good number of ACL injuries are the result of a planted foot and a knee flexing backwards.  If the NFL doesn't want shots to the head, ball carriers will need to leave their feet with an inbound low tackler, or get low and be sure that the leg is not completely straight and planted.

I don't know my friend. I would love to have seen Shannon Sharpe in his Denver Broncos prime go up against Gronk score for score right now to see which NFL TE would be more productive in the endzone. I'd pay good money to see that game unfold. 

I don't know my friend. I would love to have seen Shannon Sharpe in his Denver Broncos prime go up against Gronk score for score right now to see which NFL TE would be more productive in the endzone. I'd pay good money to see that game unfold. 

Sharpe was more athletic I think, but he almost played like a really big receiver. Gronk plays like an offensive lineman who happens to be able to catch the football! 

Also, gotta admit... I kind of hate Shannon Sharpe. Because of this, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxsHXuM6ah0

In hindsight I can admit it was funny though.  ;)

Gronk is young.  He has a good 12 years ahead of him.  I just wish he would be a little more careful when he's not playing and take better care of his body and stop horsing around.

Beautifully stated Pats fan. Gronk's biggest weakness is having fun vs protecting his body for a Championship. If he learns that lesson, nothing will stand in his way. I agree 100%

Sharpe was more athletic I think, but he almost played like a really big receiver. Gronk plays like an offensive lineman who happens to be able to catch the football! 

Also, gotta admit... I kind of hate Shannon Sharpe. Because of this, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxsHXuM6ah0

In hindsight I can admit it was funny though.  ;)

I will acknowledge that Gronk blocks more regularly than Shannon Sharpe ever did, but Sharpe could block effectively enough when he had to. I applaud your ability to laugh about the Natl. Guard comment now, but Sharpe always delivered the goods Championship rings where ever he's been. The real question if NE had zero rings & Shannon still has 3 could you still laugh at his comedy routine years later? You are under no obligation to answer. 

I just think that Shannon Sharpe in a head to head TD competition vs Gronk would win that race 8 out 10 times. Both men have a high vertical jump, great hands, but Sharpe had exceptional anticipation with Elway & Dilfer & he knew how to shield his body & the ball from the defender on a whole different level. I respect Gronk, but he is no #84 sorry...

Shannon Sharpe and Sterling Sharpe were more like Aaron Hernandez, they could line up in the slot and be used more as WR's.

In some areas and ways Aaron Hernandez was better than Gronk.  More agile and better after the catch at breaking tackles with his quick foot work.

There's no doubt that the Patriots and many fans miss Aaron for his play...but NOT his character and actions off the field.

Shannon Sharpe and Sterling Sharpe were more like Aaron Hernandez, they could line up in the slot and be used more as WR's.

In some areas and ways Aaron Hernandez was better than Gronk.  More agile and better after the catch at breaking tackles with his quick foot work.

There's no doubt that the Patriots and many fans miss Aaron for his play...but NOT his character and actions off the field.

That's because Sterling Sharpe was a WR

There is something to be said for a player protecting himself.  The one thing with ACL injuries is that, as a player, if you see a guy going low, you best get your cleats out of the ground.  What I mean by that is that generally speaking, many of these injuries are caused by the foot being planted and the knee flexing in a way it wasn't designed to flex.  This happened to Brady during the year Cassell started and earned his money; and I've seen it several times.  There are fluke injuries like the one Wayne experienced this year, but a good number of ACL injuries are the result of a planted foot and a knee flexing backwards.  If the NFL doesn't want shots to the head, ball carriers will need to leave their feet with an inbound low tackler, or get low and be sure that the leg is not completely straight and planted.

I agree, but it didn't look like Gronk had his balance where he could adjust his feet. Pretty brutal hit

Way to pull out an old Dolph Lundgren & Jean-Claude Van Damme movie reference Chad. You get major bonus points for that one.  haha  :thmup:

I still love Dolph Lundgren in "Rocky IV" "I must break you" & then he gets his daily steroid injection. Clean Americans vs those darn dirty Communists. The Cold War in a boxing ring. Just kidding! 

Hey, Rocky 4 in roman numerals spells IV anyway. The audience should have seen the cheating coming right? 

Yeah, I grew up with those as a boy. My wife can never understand why I am sometimes glued to some of those movies even though the acting can be terrible (something she focuses too much on, you don't watch those movies for acting, honey, I have to tell her). :)

I have to remind her that it is just entertainment, guys knocking and blowing up each other, oh well!!! :)

Yeah, I grew up with those as a boy. My wife can never understand why I am sometimes glued to some of those movies even though the acting can be terrible (something she focuses too much on, you don't watch those movies for acting, honey, I have to tell her). :)

I have to remind her that it is just entertainment, guys knocking and blowing up each other, oh well!!! :)

I hear ya Chad. I hear ya. I'm sure that your wife is an intelligent, lovely woman, but I roll with you. A good caboose kicking piece of hot garbage is often more riveting than a sappy, romantic flick that receives critical acclaim & rave reviews. Cheesy, campy pictures with an over the top emotional score never get enough props, especially if the actors in the film pretend that the cheesy explosions & loose plot is Oscar worthy & legitimate. I love that actually. It appeals to the greedy, self indulgent decade of the 80's that I came of age in. 

I would have given you a like Chad, but SW1 has reached my like quota already today. Bummer. 

I agree, but it didn't look like Gronk had his balance where he could adjust his feet. Pretty brutal hit

Yup, watching that live on TV I winced & recoiled back in my favorite chair in horror. I felt bad for Gronk while he just laid there on the field. I wouldn't wish that on anybody man, even a dreaded Dallas player & I hate me some serious Cowboys you know. 

What made it difficult to stomach was Gronk's struggles to get healthy this year & he was finally coming into his stride this year. You think that you finally turned the injury corner & then wham...Here we go again. Sorry man...

A Boston sports talk show host asked this question today over the air: "Should the Patriots trade Gronk if they were offered a 1st round pick."

I would think about it hard.  I would say yes, I would trade Gronk for a 1st round pick.....to an NFC team.  Why would I trade Gronk?  Because of his style of play.  Since he's been in college I believe he's been under the knife between 6 to 9 times and he's only 24 years old so he's' injury prone.  His style of play is gutsy plus the way defenders tackle him and try to take him out, he has guys tugging and hanging off him and doing all sorts of crazy things to bring him down.

If the Pats trade Gronk for a 1st rounder then the Pats have two first round picks.  I would use most the picks to build up the Defense...

First round selections...

1st pick = Defensive Tackle

2nd pick = Linebacker

2nd round selections = 

1st pick = Strong Safety (SS)

2nd pick = Tight End

The rest of the rounds and picks they can do whatever.

^Gronk is irreplaceable at that position. He is, quite literally, top of the line in every single component that makes up a TE sans durability.

A thousand times NO at trading him for a first round pick which may or may not work out. Not yet.

If Gronk misses all of next season/goes down late next year? Then I think a case can be made. I'm not ready to dub him the Bob Sanders of TE's just yet, but he's getting there.

Even if he goes down next year, someone would still give up a #1 pick for him easily. Someone desperate for a shot in the dark like the Raiders. They give away first round picks like candy. Heck they gave up TWO for old man Palmer. Plus they annually suck or, if nothing else, are below average so you know that #1 pick will be high in the draft.

A Boston sports talk show host asked this question today over the air: "Should the Patriots trade Gronk if they were offered a 1st round pick."

I would think about it hard.  I would say yes, I would trade Gronk for a 1st round pick.....to an NFC team.  Why would I trade Gronk?  Because of his style of play.  Since he's been in college I believe he's been under the knife between 6 to 9 times and he's only 24 years old so he's' injury prone.  His style of play is gutsy plus the way defenders tackle him and try to take him out, he has guys tugging and hanging off him and doing all sorts of crazy things to bring him down.

If the Pats trade Gronk for a 1st rounder then the Pats have two first round picks.  I would use most the picks to build up the Defense...

First round selections...

1st pick = Defensive Tackle

2nd pick = Linebacker

2nd round selections = 

1st pick = Strong Safety (SS)

2nd pick = Tight End

The rest of the rounds and picks they can do whatever.

I don't think anyone would give up a first rounder for him.