Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Monday Updates

HtownColt

Right, what I said:

SilentHill, on 25 Nov 2013 - 5:07 PM, said:snapback.png

And we didn't open up the passing game earlier, just because we attempted passes doesn't mean we completed them.

How is dropping back to pass on 11 of the first 14 plays not opening up the passing game earlier?  I realize many of those passes were incomplete but that's irrelevant to the fact that your initial complaint was that they didn't open up the passing game earlier even though that's exactly what they did.  

How is dropping back to pass on 11 of the first 14 plays not opening up the passing game earlier?  I realize many of those passes were incomplete but that's irrelevant to the fact that your initial complaint was that they didn't open up the passing game earlier even though that's exactly what they did.  

Sorry to jump in, but Jason_S, I think you're right. If we were more successful and completed the passes, then we would've opened up the passing game. But since many of the passes were incomplete, we need something to complain about.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Because people want to blame Pep instead of our players lack of execution.

Sorry to jump in, but Jason_S, I think you're right. If we were more successful and completed the passes, then we would've opened up the passing game. But since many of the passes were incomplete, we need something to complain about.

Because people want to blame Pep instead of our players lack of execution.

There was no complaint about not opening the passing game soon enough. I said "I hope that he means we have to establish the run game, by opening up the passing game earlier."

It's irrelevant what happened in the past. We ran those 11 passes and a majority were incomplete. The call to pass was the right call. The actual passing plays that were called on the field were not. My post was in reference to the fact that we are not a power running team and we should not go back to the ground game early.

Ok so....Pep should only call passing plays that are going to work?   Is that the point? 

You know, when I first starting coaching I had two playbooks... one with plays that were not going to work and one with plays that were going to work.  It took me years to learn that I need to call the plays from the latter rather than the former. 

You know, when I first starting coaching I had two playbooks... one with plays that were not going to work and one with plays that were going to work.  It took me years to learn that I need to call the plays from the latter rather than the former. 

lol...but you still kept the other playbook around though right?  It's good to throw the other team off from time to time by running plays that you know won't work. :D

Sure, whatever you say.

I'd like to see some bubble screens.

Since the issue seems to be Pep calling the wrong pass play.  What down and distance would you call the bubble screen? Against what defensive formation?  What should the FS be doing?  What about the SS?  Should the DBs be playing man or zone.  Should the LBers be playing man or zone?  Do you still call it if the indicators point to the Dline stunting to the inside?  Also, what receiver gets the bubble screen? 

Actually please run through the first 11 pass plays and tell us what passes should have been called and explain why?

Since the issue seems to be Pep calling the wrong pass play.  What down and distance would you call the bubble screen? Against what defensive formation?  What should the FS be doing?  What about the SS?  Should the DBs be playing man or zone.  Should the LBers be playing man or zone?  Do you still call it if the indicators point to the Dline stunting to the inside?  Also, what receiver gets the bubble screen? 

Actually please run through the first 11 pass plays and tell us what passes should have been called and explain why?

Well first I run out there and i run the draw with T-Rich and gain 2 yards.

Then I go out and run the 4 verticals, but just before the snap I press L1 and audible at the line to a short crossing pattern,completed 10 yards to DHB.

Then I run hurry up with 4 Verticals Play Action and WHAM I hit TY for a 68 Yard touchdown.

The key is, when you drop back to pass you have to hold down X until Luck releases the ball, this way it is the most powerful and accurate down field.

Then I go out and run the 4 verticals, but just before the snap I press L1 and audible at the line to a short crossing pattern,completed 10 yards to DHB.

Then I run hurry up with 4 Verticals Play Action and WHAM I hit TY for a 68 Yard touchdown.

The key is, when you drop back to pass you have to hold down X until Luck releases the ball, this way it is the most powerful and accurate down field.

So, it appears, you don't know when you'd run the bubble screen or who should receive it, or what the defense should be doing, you just know it should be done.  And it is one of those passing plays that would work because, well it's a bubble screen.

I will give you a bit of hint, since you seem to be struggling with this concept (take this with a grain of salt because I am someone who learned football on the field, not on a game system) when the defense is able to pressure your QB with just the front 4, a bubble screen is an absolutely horrible call).

More like T-Rich gets stuffed for a loss and DHB watching the ball go off his chest and into a defender's hands. Interception

So, it appears, you don't know when you'd run the bubble screen or who should receive it, or what the defense should be doing, you just know it should be done.  And it is one of those passing plays that would work because, well it's a bubble screen.

I will give you a bit of hint, since you seem to be struggling with this concept (take this with a grain of salt because I am someone who learned football on the field, not on a game system) when the defense is able to pressure your QB with just the front 4, a bubble screen is an absolutely horrible call).

Here is a hint for you. If I knew what to do, I'd be a coach in the NFL. It's not like I'm lobbying for myself to replace Pep Hamilton, actually i'm 100% against that, I am lobbying for someone good to replace him though.

I know they play better at home but they need to adjust. Like, SERIOUSLY adjust. It's November, they should be on a hot streak right now and getting into playoff form but it's a dud right now.

This is a must win game, both of those two are.

def not a good time to be facing a team who has their backs against the wall. with how bad we have been since coming off the bye week we have looked like a 3 win team. hoping Toler gets back soon (can not believe i said that because i really didn't like that signing, atleast not for the contract we gave him) because Vaughn sucks. he should have been one of the guys cut and put butler in his spot. at least butler knows how to stick with his guy for most of the game. 

Wide Receiver

Brandon Lloyd

Laurent Robinson

Devery Henderson

Braylon Edwards

Mohamed Massaquoi

Austin Collie

Donte’ Stallworth

Steve Breaston

Michael Jenkins

Deion Branch

Early Doucet

Ben Obomanu

Ramses Barden

David Gettis

Anthony Armstrong

Devin Aromashodu

Chaz Schilens

Mike Thomas

Courtney Roby (KR)

Chad Johnson

Jabar Gaffney

Derek Hagan

Matthew Willis

Naaman Roosevelt

Deon Butler

Roscoe Parrish (PR)

Brandon Banks (KR/PR)

Patrick Crayton

Sammie Stroughter

Jason Hill

Jordan Shipley

Jordan Norwood

Ruvell Martin

Patrick Turner

Greg Camarillo (PR)

Legedu Naanee

Mardy Gilyard (KR)

Devin Thomas

Adrian Arrington

Michael Clayton

Terrence Austin

Richard Goodman (KR)

Terrance Copper

Demetrius Williams

Preston Parker

Brett Swain

Maurice Stovall (TE)

Jerheme Urban

Jaymar Johnson

Quan Cosby (PR/KR)

Ronald Johnson

Chastin West

Lance Long

Tim Toone

Patrick Edwards

Jeremy Ebert

Danny Coale

Joe Adams (KR/PR)

Jeff Fuller

LaQuan Williams

Dan DePalma

David Douglas

ummm Austin Collie from what i last heard, had a torn ACL which is why the Pats released him

I tot

ally

They also never run the ball twice in a row. It seems like if and when we pick up 5 or 6 yards rushing the ball on 1st and 10 , its guaranteed the next play is a passing play. Why not run again , hopefully pick up 2 or 3 more, and keep the clock running. Im not saying run it everytime on 1st and second but try it at least once in a game.  3rd and short would keep the opposing defenses a little more off balance and keep the clock ticking thus giving our defense a little breather. With all the inuries and lack of talent at the reciever position, we are not going to outscore the opponents like we did in the Manning era.  The SF game and second half of the Titans game were by far the best game planning they had all year.

what about the second half of the houston game??? that come back was very very well executed 

We played well, but the problem with the Houston game was special teams mistakes and a couple blown deep coverages. There wasn't much to change. 

of course there was though. Davis was being picked in the middle of the field 5 yards from the scrimmage. which is what makes me believe has led these last three teams we played figure out how to beat us. the Rams and Cardinals ran a lot of passing plays in the middle of the field with crossing patterns. especially St. Louis