Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The AFC South is in rapid decline. Good news for the Colts

t-rex

The AFC South Over The Last 6 weeks:

Here are the records for the last 5 games for each AFC south team.

The Colts are 3-2

The Texans, Jaguars and Titans combined are 2-13.

More Dismal AFC South Info:

Not only have the Texans lost 7 straight games this year, but dating back to 2012, they are actually 3-10 over their last 13 regular season games.  And 2 of their wins to open the 2013 season easily could have been losses.

The Titans are now 1-5 in their last 6 games.

The Jaguars have just 2 wins in their last 15 games. Both of those wins were vs. the Titans. Amazingly they are 2-1 vs the Titans and 0-12 vs everyone else during that span.

Texans vs Jaguars

This year the Jaguars have often been called the worst team in NFL history. The Texans came into the season as Super Bowl favorites. But incredibly when you look at both teams over the last 16 regular season games this is what you get.

Texans 6-10

Jaguars 2-14

To be the worst team in NFL history, the Jaguars sure are close to the Super Bowl bound Texans!

The AFC South (Last 16 Games)

Colts 12-4

Titans 7-9

Texans 6-10

Jaguars 2-14

Folks, this is the worst division in football by a country mile.  And this division has been quietly sliding downhill for a very long time.  This is good news for the Colts. I think the Colts will only improve next year and beyond. The other AFC South teams are more or less in retreat.

Before this season many thought the AFC South to be one of the best divisions in the AFC. Don't be fooled by a down year. A lot of Texans fans were thinking the same thought process we see in this thread the year the Colts went 2-14. Now we see that there is actually a lot of competitiveness in this division (though it isn't translating to wins for three of them). I expect the South to be up there again in terms of competitiveness and tough, grind-it-out football next year again.

If I had to rank the 8 teams in the NFC East and AFC South

1) Colts

2) Cowboys

3) Eagles

4) Texans

5) Giants

6) Redskins

7) Titans

8) Jaguars

The 4 teams in bold are somewhat interchangeable. But the two worst teams clearly are from the AFC South.

Before this season many thought the AFC South to be one of the best divisions in the AFC. Don't be fooled by a down year. A lot of Texans fans were thinking the same thought process we see in this thread the year the Colts went 2-14. Now we see that there is actually a lot of competitiveness in this division (though it isn't translating to wins for three of them). I expect the South to be up there again in terms of competitiveness and tough, grind-it-out football next year again.

Whilst I could not disagree more, I do respect your optimism, and fandom. Good to very good QB's are required to shine in the NFL nowadays. We got Lucky with Luck. Nothing in sight for the rest of the AFCS. This is not a criticism of the other teams. Landing a top notch QB is a complete lottery.

The fact that our division is rather week, maybe worse than the NFC East; bodes not well to every team in our division. When we won the division the last two years, all we (I) heard was our division was weak...Tennessee in a slight re-build and the Colts definitely in a re-build. Jacksonville, ehh...who can call that one!?

But Indy gave us a run, a darn good one, and did show the NFL that the Texans did have some strong competition.

I would much prefer to see a tight race in the AFC South, with the winner actually accomplishing something.

But, since the Texans decided to implode this year, I can only root for the Colts because they're a good team and the fanbase here is respectful and mature.

I despise the Titans and I don't know why...I just didn't like Courtland Finnegan and the fact that their backup QB - Hasselback - told everyone they'd win their division last year.

Whilst I could not disagree more, I do respect your optimism, and fandom. Good to very good QB's are required to shine in the NFL nowadays. We got Lucky with Luck. Nothing in sight for the rest of the AFCS. This is not a criticism of the other teams. Landing a top notch QB is a complete lottery.

This doesn't have much to do with fandom, but sure, if we want to go the quarterback route, the Titans were doing pretty well with Locker, who has finally shown up this season, before he got injured. Case Keenum has all the things you want in a QB too, with the exception of his height. His electric play and the respect he gets from teammates makes up for what he doesn't have in prototypicals though. Yes you guys got "lucky"...but don't act like the Colts are just going to automatically win the South every year and have the brightest future out of every team. Their play the past few games have been proof enough of that, and I'm speaking objectively here. Every team has it's flaws but I believe the AFC South will be back to where it was expected to be this year, next year. Things will get especially interesting if the Jaguars nab a top QB in the Draft.

This doesn't have much to do with fandom, but sure, if we want to go the quarterback route, the Titans were doing pretty well with Locker, who has finally shown up this season, before he got injured. Case Keenum has all the things you want in a QB too, with the exception of his height. His electric play and the respect he gets from teammates makes up for what he doesn't have in prototypicals though. Yes you guys got "lucky"...but don't act like the Colts are just going to automatically win the South every year and have the brightest future out of every team. Their play the past few games have been proof enough of that, and I'm speaking objectively here. Every team has it's flaws but I believe the AFC South will be back to where it was expected to be this year, next year. Things will get especially interesting if the Jaguars nab a top QB in the Draft.

I'm not 'acting'. I'm being considered. You are still hurting, I get that, but you are just in denial. You and Vance appeared from nowhere after we lost 18, that is the ONLY reason your team has been relevant. Normal service has been resumed. Perhaps I'm wrong, but we'll see over the next few years.

The fact that our division is rather week, maybe worse than the NFC East; bodes not well to every team in our division. When we won the division the last two years, all we (I) heard was our division was weak...Tennessee in a slight re-build and the Colts definitely in a re-build. Jacksonville, ehh...who can call that one!?

But Indy gave us a run, a darn good one, and did show the NFL that the Texans did have some strong competition.

I would much prefer to see a tight race in the AFC South, with the winner actually accomplishing something.

But, since the Texans decided to implode this year, I can only root for the Colts because they're a good team and the fanbase here is respectful and mature.

I despise the Titans and I don't know why...I just didn't like Courtland Finnegan and the fact that their backup QB - Hasselback - told everyone they'd win their division last year.

Hasselback is the Colts backup this year you know :P

I'm not 'acting'. I'm being considered. You are still hurting, I get that, but you are just in denial. You and Vance appeared from nowhere after we lost 18, that is the ONLY reason your team has been relevant. Normal service has been resumed. Perhaps I'm wrong, but we'll see over the next few years.

Be considerate, but I'm not in denial. Yes I am still * that my team didn't do what we were supposed to, but again, nothing to do with my point. I came here for a reason, and no, it wasn't to gloat that my team won the division for the first time. Check my first posts here if you don't believe me. And if that was the case, why would I still be here now? 18 wasn't here in 2012 either I might add. But yes, things will resume correctly next year, you are right about that.

Be considerate, but I'm not in denial. Yes I am still * that my team didn't do what we were supposed to, but again, nothing to do with my point. I came here for a reason, and no, it wasn't to gloat that my team won the division for the first time. Check my first posts here if you don't believe me. And if that was the case, why would I still be here now? 18 wasn't here in 2012 either I might add. But yes, things will resume correctly next year, you are right about that.

I'm a huge WTA fan. Do you like Maria Sharapova?

To say Tennessee is bad would be false. Sure they haven't won a game in a while, but they also haven't really had their starting QB since they went 3-1. Their D is pretty good and have only allowed 7 passing TDs on the season. We almost lost to the Titans, so where would that put us? The Texans very well could be 0-9 but they could also be 6-3. They have lost some close games and had the Colts game nearly in the bag, if it weren't for the fact that they are the Colts. I also like Gus Bradley and think he will get that defense on the Jags running great once they get some pieces. This division easily could be one of the best within 3-4 years if the Jags play their cards right. 

I don't know, he still had him start four games this season. I haven't seen the game so I can't speculate as to the reason he was pulled. The fanbase and the players love him though.

There was no reason, some drives stalled out in the second half and Case got pulled for Schaub. Kubiak said after the game it was to run a more uptempo offense that he believed Keenum incapable of. Andre said after the game they were running similar plays.

There was no reason, some drives stalled out in the second half and Case got pulled for Schaub. Kubiak said after the game it was to run a more uptempo offense that he believed Keenum incapable of. Andre said after the game they were running similar plays.

Ahh. Time to retreat to the base and get this fiasco sorted out.

Good God do the Texans suck.  They couldn't handle a bad Oakland team, at home, who's backup QB was starting his first game ever.  Matt McGloin, whoever the hell that is, had no problems at all shredding the Texans defense.  Here's how the scoreboard looks now:  Case Keenum 0-4, Matt McGloin 1-0.  The Texans are just a bad, bad football team.  They aren't "close" to anything.

To think there were actually people who picked that garbage team to contend for a Super Bowl.....lol

Good God do the Texans suck.

To think there were actually people who picked that garbage team to contend for a Super Bowl.....lol

It was a reasonable pick before Schaub's meltdown, Cushing's knee blowing out again, Foster requiring a new spine, Tate playing with a jigsaw puzzle for a ribcage, and Kubiak pulling a coup to undercut the developing talent.

Will win the division again  but the Jags will be better next year with Bridgewater. Teams will game plan for Keenum with  more game film on him and the Titans will have a rookie QB. The only real threat will be the Jags both Texans and Titans will have new coaches,systems and it'll take them a while to be good again.

2014 records

Colts 12-4

Jaguars 7-9

Texans 6-10

Titans 4-12

Will win the division again but the Jags will be better next year with Bridgewater. Teams will game plan for Keenum with more game film on him and the Titans will have a rookie QB. The only real threat will be the Jags both Texans and Titans will have new coaches,systems and it'll take them a while to be good again.

2014 records

Colts 12-4

Jaguars 7-9

Texans 6-10

Titans 4-12

Texans may not stick with Keenum if today was any indication. They may also win the Bridgewater lottery over Jacksonville.

This sucks cause i remember a post from last year...or early this year...that someone did breaking down all the division between like 2001-2011.  And the AFC South was actually the best division with the most wins against outside of the division (Also excluding all division leaders wins/losses/division games). 

This sucks cause i remember a post from last year...or early this year...that someone did breaking down all the division between like 2001-2011. And the AFC South was actually the best division with the most wins against outside of the division (Also excluding all division leaders wins/losses/division games).

To be perfectly honest, this year is something of a scheduling anomaly in that the AFC South drew 2 of the hardest divisions in the AFC and NFC west. Next year, it will be the AFC North and the NFC East though, so things get considerably less crazy hard if this year holds water.

Texans may not stick with Keenum if today was any indication. They may also win the Bridgewater lottery over Jacksonville.

Well they do play the Jags at home next week should be able to beat them. I'm not sold on Keenum either but he'll be the starting QB for at least next year after they fire Kubiak and release Schaub.

Well they do play the Jags at home next week should be able to beat them. I'm not sold on Keenum either but he'll be the starting QB for at least next year after they fire Kubiak and release Schaub.

Dunno if you heard, but they benched Keenum for Schaub in the 3rd quarter today.

Every team has it's flaws but I believe the AFC South will be back to where it was expected to be this year, next year. Things will get especially interesting if the Jaguars nab a top QB in the Draft.

ughh...bridgewater...mariota...manziel....

Could get ugly real quick.  One of those 3 would be available for the jags.  Its just a matter of if they jags can build properly around them.  They really havent built any one thing good on that team.

ughh...bridgewater...mariota...manziel....

Could get ugly real quick.  One of those 3 would be available for the jags.  Its just a matter of if they jags can build properly around them.  They really havent built any one thing good on that team.

Yeah, that defense has potential and if they get another playmaker to compliment Blackmon/Lewis then they will be set sooner rather than later. It's hard to think that they will stick with Blaine or McCown or whoever they have back there quarterbacking right now. A good cream of QBs to choose from this year too.