Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes

AllYouNeedIsLuck

Funny how players can flourish or struggle with different teams, & different situations...

Hughes was a perennial whipping boy around these parts from the moment he was drafted, & many were glad to get as much as a bag of Cheetos & a can of pop out of a trade for him...

& now with hindsight we should of kept him...

Amazing...

I wish the Colts would've kept Giordano, Jennings, & Hayden...

Can you imagine the Colts with that defensive backfield!!!

Really??? You think that backfield would be better than the one we have now??? Giordano is average at best, Jennings is not a fit for the defense we run now, and Hayden is ALWAYS injured and has sucked since 2006. Our secondary has been a bright spot when Toler was healthy, we are sorely missing him right now.

Really??? You think that backfield would be better than the one we have now??? Giordano is average at best, Jennings is not a fit for the defense we run now, and Hayden is ALWAYS injured and has sucked since 2006. Our secondary has been a bright spot when Toler was healthy, we are sorely missing him right now.

No not really...

Just jokes...

Just sort of poking fun at the idea that the team should have kept Jerry Hughes...

Yeah in hindsight the guy may finally be stepping his game up, maybe it's the scheme, coaching, who knows, but the guy got flamed daily on this board  while he was a Colt...

Just brought up Jennings since he made a pro-bowl & had some stellar play for the Bears after leaving the Colts...

Also brought up Giordano & Hayden because there was one weekend a season or three ago where I saw a Falcons game & a Raiders game where both had significant int's, Jennings had a good game that day too, I remember literally flipping between the games and watching three ex-Colts tear it up...

No not really...

Just jokes...

Just sort of poking fun at the idea that the team should have kept Jerry Hughes...

Yeah in hindsight the guy may finally be stepping his game up, maybe it's the scheme, coaching, who knows, but the guy got flamed daily on this board  while he was a Colt...

Just brought up Jennings since he made a pro-bowl & had some stellar play for the Bears after leaving the Colts...

Also brought up Giordano & Hayden because there was one weekend a season or three ago where I saw a Falcons game & a Raiders game where both had significant int's, Jennings had a good game that day too, I remember literally flipping between the games and watching three ex-Colts tear it up...

Oh ok, now I see what you were doing.

Some people can't handle that an explayer was just coming into his own here, and than starts to reach his ceiling with another team. 

Hughes deserves more credit than what some of you are giving him. He is a much better pass rusher than anyone on this roster not names Mathis, and Hughes is even playing the run well enough according to PFF, ESPN, and other news sites/TV channels. 

I thought Hughes was coming along last yr. in the new system. I understand why they made the trade, but Sheppard sucks and Hughes is playing well.

I felt like he wasn't really given a chance either. The trade just looks so much worse now because pass rush is a glaring need for our team at the moment, and Hughes is over in Buffalo balling out while Sheppard sucks. Not to mention, our top pick of this past draft is looking more like a project player than an immediate impact guy. Would've been nice to have Hughes in, even just as a rotation guy until Werner starts coming along. 

So your biased against Hughes, no need to have any serious debate about him with you I see

i wouldn't say biased.  i like the term informed more so

i have seen that guy play.  he is terrible.  our run defense is bad enough without him.  that dude couldnt set the edge if his life depended on it

i wouldn't say biased.  i like the term informed more so

i have seen that guy play.  he is terrible.  our run defense is bad enough without him.  that dude couldnt set the edge if his life depended on it

I agree he is not very good at it but we dont have a Linebacker that can do it with any consistency either, Mathis is horrifc at it to the point that he dont seem to care about it much

I agree he is not very good at it but we dont have a Linebacker that can do it with any consistency either, Mathis is horrifc at it to the point that he dont seem to care about it much

it is frustrating.  mathis can do it.  he just doesn't at times. 

but yeah.  he isn't great with it either.  i don't think hughes has the ability to do it in this defense. 

Just because the fans wanted it doesn't mean Grigson did not mess up up by actually doing it.  If Werner does not work out and Hughes maintains anything close to his current level of play it will be an epic fail.

I like Grigson, and am in no way suggesting we should get rid of him or that he isn't doing a great job (for the most part) .... BUT he is starting accumulate his share of marks in the bad decision column. Enough so that people should not have the almost blind faith in every move Grigson & the front office make that many seem to have. 

It's fine to go you know looking back on it it was probably a bad trade, and there are a fair share of people doing that.  It's another to act like Grigson should have never done this move from the start because at the time just about everyone on this forum would have made this exact same trade.

it is frustrating.  mathis can do it.  he just doesn't at times. 

but yeah.  he isn't great with it either.  i don't think hughes has the ability to do it in this defense. 

Hughes wasn't very good at it last year for, He had 4 Stuffs, Which obviously Stuffs are not a perfect indicator when it comes to showing who plays the run well but it does show that said player does make more plays on the ball carrier for very little gain, He was tied with Conner for that last year