Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown in the slot?

jshipp23

I have been his biggest critic in the past, but he has looked great this year maybe because of health or experience or because he is playing the role he was always meant to play....He is not and never will be a feature back like a Trent Richardson, but he is great as a change of pace back...All that being said, I think he is being under utilized and not getting enough touches as he is our only other big play threat other than T.Y. Hilton...He is playing the Kevin Faulk role he had with New England all those years to a lesser degree at this point, but he has been a great surprise this season....If you watched the San Diego game and saw how they used Danny Woodhead you will see where I am going with this..Put him in the game with Richardson in some double back sets and more importantly in the slot!! I don't think we have a true slot receiver and I think D.Brown has the skill set to be very good in this role...This will make us a match-up nightmare and much harder to scheme against, and more explosive...I can see us using him in a variety of ways with T.Rich like having T.Rich at FB in the eye and handing to him sometimes, but also faking and doing misdirection running plays and pitch outs with Brown and the wishbone "T" formation would mess defenses up too...At this point I'd like to see our best players on the field together which means more Brown and Hilton and less DHB who has been very disappointing , but could still be effective as the 4th receiver...I was wrong about Brown and I'll gladly admit and I hope we figure a way to get him more involved and resign him next year...Richardson, Ballard, Brown backfield would be the most dangerous in the NFL for years to come....

He has used Richardson in the slot a few times

I'd like to see more of that too, but especially Brown in the slot...I think he could be more effective than as a RB really...I don't have my hopes up about any type of innovation with Pep as OC, but maybe he will read this....

I'd still rather have Wayne or Hilton in the slot with Brown coming out of the backfield. Maybe use more routes where he cuts back to the middle of the field.

His quickness would be hard to cover, and I'd like to see him and TRich together like S.D. used Matthews and Woodhead...I think this would give many audible and formation options to really confuse opposing defenses and get  matchup problems...Also, would open up running lanes..

His quickness would be hard to cover, and I'd like to see him and TRich together like S.D. used Matthews and Woodhead...I think this would give many audible and formation options to really confuse opposing defenses and get  matchup problems...Also, would open up running lanes..

I don't trust his hands enough for the role but I get your idea. Plus I'd like someone who's more deceptive in their route running playing slot. Brown is playing very well in his current role, I'm starting to think he needs more carries, make it more of a 2 back system again.

Im not sure. Id like to know why you guys think DHB has been so disappointing. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt last week because it was a tough deep ball to catch, but why has he not been preforming? is it that he just doesn't get open? Or Luck doesn't trust him? It just seems like he doesn't get the ball thrown his way a lot or when he does it gets snatched up by reggie. Im just curious what you all think the problem is with him.

Im not sure. Id like to know why you guys think DHB has been so disappointing. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt last week because it was a tough deep ball to catch, but why has he not been preforming? is it that he just doesn't get open? Or Luck doesn't trust him? It just seems like he doesn't get the ball thrown his way a lot or when he does it gets snatched up by reggie. Im just curious what you all think the problem is with him.

He seems disinterested to me and doesn't really get open or play to his supposed speed...I am very disappointed as I thought with Luck he would breakout, but I admit he isn't getting many opportunities in this offense..I haven't written him off yet..

I could have sworn we've already seen him split out a couple of times this year.

Don't have all the games recorded to re-review though.

He has a few times...I'd like to see more and actually throw it to him would be nice too...If he gets a LB or S matched up on him it's no contest...Wayne is too big and not quick enough and I like T.Y. on the outside better...

He seems disinterested to me and doesn't really get open or play to his supposed speed...I am very disappointed as I thought with Luck he would breakout, but I admit he isn't getting many opportunities in this offense..I haven't written him off yet..

I'm disappointed as well. When you see how strong and fast he is after the catch you'd think he would get open more. But I haven't given up yet either because I don't think he's had many opportunities so far

I don't trust his hands enough for the role but I get your idea. Plus I'd like someone who's more deceptive in their route running playing slot. Brown is playing very well in his current role, I'm starting to think he needs more carries, make it more of a 2 back system again.

I agree with this point exactly.  DB should just keep going with what he is doing well, and work in some bubble screens etc.

TY is awesome inside and out.  I guess I am one of the few that is not willing to give up on DHB.  I am worried that Fleener has 'head' issues now on drops.  

Back to DB.  At this point he is hitting the hole quicker than T-Rich....yes JoKeR a few more carries sounds good.  He is making the most of his opportunities!!   :thmup:

Neither is Danny Woodhead or Knowshon Moreno or Reggie Bush etc, etc etc, but they play in the slot plenty and have success...

plenty? No they don't. And brown has average catching ability. Luck should check down to his rb's more but don't put them in the slot

I'd like to see more of that too, but especially Brown in the slot...I think he could be more effective than as a RB really...I don't have my hopes up about any type of innovation with Pep as OC, but maybe he will read this....

He has actually been much more innovative then you give him credit for really, the execution of many of those plays has been poor, we have tried end arounds, getting our wr' on linebackers, getting our running backs on Corners, getting our TE's on Corners. Pep has not been perfect no but lack of execution has killed drives more then Peps playcalling. we have tried going deep to Bey, he drops the ball(Thats a td if he catches that ball.....It was a bit out front no question but thats one you have to catch), we tried getting Richardson in space, he dropped the ball. First run of the game by Richardson....good play call, he has an open hole to the right, Cherilus had taken care of his man and was heading up to that Linebacker, instead Richardson cut it left and went back into traffic, It gained 4 yards so I wasn't gonna say nothing, Ill take 4 yards running the ball all day long on 1st down....but there was more to be had on that play (ALL 22 is up now)

It's not like Donald is a great receiver, he's not. My only memories of him as a receiver are because of the drops he's had. If he wants to swing him out to the outside on a couple of plays (start in the backfield, motion out), then fine, but he's not a slot guy. Let him stay in the backfield.

No reason to move him. 

Holy heck yes!! that interception on Monday was ALL Reggies fault.  That ball was not meant for him.  It was for a WIDE OPEN DHB!!  i couldnt believe he did that, i was so aggravated.

Holy heck yes!! that interception on Monday was ALL Reggies fault.  That ball was not meant for him.  It was for a WIDE OPEN DHB!!  i couldnt believe he did that, i was so aggravated.

I thought the same thing and I thing it may have got to him too!!!! Reggie has been less than stellar lately to say the least...

I thought the same thing and I thing it may have got to him too!!!! Reggie has been less than stellar lately to say the least...

Oh really?! I didn't even notice! I was talking about the week dhb was open for a td and reggie jumped in front of him and caught the ball!

Brazill or Rodgers need to get on the field, spread the D and also create favorable matchups

Rogers is on the practice squad. The Colts have 5 receivers on the roster.

Putting more receivers on the field doesn't mean more favorable matchups. 

About time people admit that Brown is a good player. Earlier this year folks were blaming him for losses, but I don't see anybody blaming Trent for missing a key block forcing Pagano to bring Donald back in. I still maintain the trade doesn't make the team a contender, and the Colts already had good backs. The team is painfully average, thankfully I have been surprised by how crappy most other teams are this year. 

I no he has been injured a lot but Colts never seemed to find right way to use him. You have a good idea maybe you can tell PEP he seems clueless I miss Arians always thought he should be the coach Pagano is not very creative and never makes adjustments fast enough

I agree with this point exactly.  DB should just keep going with what he is doing well, and work in some bubble screens etc.

TY is awesome inside and out.  I guess I am one of the few that is not willing to give up on DHB.  I am worried that Fleener has 'head' issues now on drops.  

Back to DB.  At this point he is hitting the hole quicker than T-Rich....yes JoKeR a few more carries sounds good.  He is making the most of his opportunities!!   :thmup:

I would like to See us play both Brown and to rich in the same backfield...

a fake to one could open the other up..

No more 6-linemen sets where we try to overpower the otehr side...

Few teams can do that

Hinestly i think he isn't getting much drawn up for him. I was only particularly disappointed in his "drop" on that bomb vs the chargers. 

I have been his biggest critic in the past, but he has looked great this year maybe because of health or experience or because he is playing the role he was always meant to play....He is not and never will be a feature back like a Trent Richardson, but he is great as a change of pace back...All that being said, I think he is being under utilized and not getting enough touches as he is our only other big play threat other than T.Y. Hilton...He is playing the Kevin Faulk role he had with New England all those years to a lesser degree at this point, but he has been a great surprise this season....If you watched the San Diego game and saw how they used Danny Woodhead you will see where I am going with this..Put him in the game with Richardson in some double back sets and more importantly in the slot!! I don't think we have a true slot receiver and I think D.Brown has the skill set to be very good in this role...This will make us a match-up nightmare and much harder to scheme against, and more explosive...I can see us using him in a variety of ways with T.Rich like having T.Rich at FB in the eye and handing to him sometimes, but also faking and doing misdirection running plays and pitch outs with Brown and the wishbone "T" formation would mess defenses up too...At this point I'd like to see our best players on the field together which means more Brown and Hilton and less DHB who has been very disappointing , but could still be effective as the 4th receiver...I was wrong about Brown and I'll gladly admit and I hope we figure a way to get him more involved and resign him next year...Richardson, Ballard, Brown backfield would be the most dangerous in the NFL for years to come....

Agree

Hinestly i think he isn't getting much drawn up for him. I was only particularly disappointing in his "drop" on that bomb vs the chargers. 

Have a look at his target count if you think not much is drawn up for him, He has not had many drops this year (2 now I believe) but he dont run very good routes and for a wr his size he fails to get separation which contributes to Luck missing him to an extent on some throws

Have a look at his target count if you think not much is drawn up for him, He has not had many drops this year (2 now I believe) but he dont run very good routes and for a wr his size he fails to get separation which contributes to Luck missing him to an extent on some throws

WHere do i find his "target count" Coul you link me up Gavin?

Rogers is on the practice squad. The Colts have 5 receivers on the roster.

Putting more receivers on the field doesn't mean more favorable matchups.

I wasn't sure about the WR depth chart my mistake but against a weak Bronco secondary it would favor us I believe. Also believe passing to open the run would be a good idea.