Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay responds via twitter (merge)

GoColts8818

Mods if you think this should be merged please feel free I just thought it will end up posted as it's own topic anyways.

Anyway Irsay had the following to say on twitter:

Those expressing negativity about the concept of building well rounded teams around great QBs 2 achieve Championships have negative agendas.

The noise doesn't bother me, to quote the most loved Ind Colt of all time "I wanted to stay, Jim wanted me to stay, circumstances forced r hand"

So Colt Fans, we're gonna have a fantastic tribute for Peyton, an incredible, historic football game!! Hopefully a memorable, close ball game!

4 old time sake, a few Peyton completions to old teammates..only this time defensive old teammates like #41 :) :) :) Let's bring good energy!

So for all those that are taking what Irsay said in his interview as a shot at Manning there you go straight from the head horse's mouth.  He sure doesn't sound like someone who has bad feelings towards Manning to me.  In fact he sounds like just the opposite.

The media wanted something to talk about and Fox probably wants Manning fired up.

I don't mind that he takes shots at Polian, I really don't.  Maybe it's not the PC thing to do.  But the guy speaks his mind and I can respect that, especially when its something that everyone else is thinking anyway.  I always had issues with how he handled our team int he offseason (primarily later in the Manning era).  Missed on too many draft picks, overpaid for free agents.  Polian was great, but to be frank, I think the game passed him by.  I wish I knew how much control or input Dungy had when Polian was looking at who to sign and draft.  Because to be honest, I don't think he was a terrible coach.  A bit too conservative, but Irsay's clarified comment wasn't about what we did wrong on the field, it was what we did wrong in the offseason.  So for those who think it's a cheap shot at Manning and/or Dungy, I just don't follow your line of reasoning.  The way his comments read, taken in totality is that, we had the coach, we had the quarterback, but we didn't have the players to support Manning on defense and special teams.  That's all Polian right there (like i said, could be Dungy too, depending on how much weight he had in drafts and free agency, but even then, we don't know who if Polian consented or vetoed, and bottom, but the bottom line is, stocking the roster ultimately falls on Polian anyway).

I'm glad that Mr. Irsay repented on his comments.  If he intended it to say it that way in the first place, then maybe he should choose words better in the first place. 

Guys, I'm rooting for the Colts, but I can't accept negative comments about Manning.  Manning is the Jordan of football.  Bulls fans still loved Jordan after he left.

And he didn't make negative comments about Manning.

I don't mind that he takes shots at Polian, I really don't.  Maybe it's not the PC thing to do.  But the guy speaks his mind and I can respect that, especially when its something that everyone else is thinking anyway.  I always had issues with how he handled our team int he offseason (primarily later in the Manning era).  Missed on too many draft picks, overpaid for free agents.  Polian was great, but to be frank, I think the game passed him by.  I wish I knew how much control or input Dungy had when Polian was looking at who to sign and draft.  Because to be honest, I don't think he was a terrible coach.  A bit too conservative, but Irsay's clarified comment wasn't about what we did wrong on the field, it was what we did wrong in the offseason.  So for those who think it's a cheap shot at Manning and/or Dungy, I just don't follow your line of reasoning.  The way his comments read, taken in totality is that, we had the coach, we had the quarterback, but we didn't have the players to support Manning on defense and special teams.  That's all Polian right there (like i said, could be Dungy too, depending on how much weight he had in drafts and free agency, but even then, we don't know who if Polian consented or vetoed, and bottom, but the bottom line is, stocking the roster ultimately falls on Polian anyway).

You know what is interesting? Denver is building its team around Manning the exact same way. Perhaps it is the Manning effect - give him all the weapons you can on offense and hope he gets a lead that the D can hang onto. Honestly, it is hard to argue with as SI named the Colts the second best team of the '00 decade behind the Pats. However flawed folks want to think Polian's strategy was, Colts were the second best team in football for 10 years. Seems silly for Irsay to be bashing the guy. I could see if the Colts were going 5-11 every season but they were winning at an eye-popping rate.

You know what is interesting? Denver is building its team around Manning the exact same way. Perhaps it is the Manning effect - give him all the weapons you can on offense and hope he gets a lead that the D can hang onto. Honestly, it is hard to argue with as SI named the Colts the second best team of the '00 decade behind the Pats. However flawed folks want to think Polian's strategy was, Colts were the second best team in football for 10 years. Seems silly for Irsay to be bashing the guy. I could see if the Colts were going 5-11 every season but they were winning at an eye-popping rate.

Well, and here's what's funny about it, what happened to them last year in the playoffs was a microcosm of Manning's tenure in Indianapolis.  Poor defense kept the opposing team in the game, and when the game was on the line, interception.  Now, I'm not naive enough to say that Manning was the sole reason they lost.  He played a part in it jsut like everyone else.  Coaching got conservative at the end (why they kneeled the ball in the 4th was astounding to me with :30 seconds and 2 timeouts needing only a field goal, given that Brady just did it against a better defense with 1:13 and no timeouts), defense gave up the long bomb, etc.

As flawed as we think Polian's strategy was, and Irsay's tweet hit the nail on the head, the stats don't matter, the regular season doesn't matter to the extent you get to the playoffs, nothing else matters in the grand scheme of things but that ring.  And given all our short comings, Polian's strategy failed when we played hte best teams in the playoffs.  It was fine when we had the lead, but even Manning has bad days, and if our defense can't hold the opponent with some degree of regularity, it's going to be a long day...and it typically was.

Please, half the sports world took it that way. Including level headed Dungy and others.  We had every right to view it that way.

They looked at it that way because that's how they wanted to look at it. Face it sports media types are still bias against the Colts while being pro-Manning. Some posters here are biased against Irsay or the way he communicates with Colts fans.

I disagree. They've given Manning weapons on offense, but not to the detriment of the defense. They already had a strong defense, with good players, and they've continued adding good players to the defense. Right now, they're banged up, and have been missing Von Miller. But what Elway did this offseason with the defense -- Phillips, Knighton, DRC, Jammer -- is more than what Polian did in any offseason with the Colts. Three of their first four draft picks were defensive guys, and all three of them have played a role already this season. They aren't neglecting the defense.

We can question whether the defense is performing well, absolutely. But, contrary to popular opinion, they haven't just loaded up on offense and told Manning to go out there and carry the team. 

I disagree. They've given Manning weapons on offense, but not to the detriment of the defense. They already had a strong defense, with good players, and they've continued adding good players to the defense. Right now, they're banged up, and have been missing Von Miller. But what Elway did this offseason with the defense -- Phillips, Knighton, DRC, Jammer -- is more than what Polian did in any offseason with the Colts. Three of their first four draft picks were defensive guys, and all three of them have played a role already this season. They aren't neglecting the defense.

We can question whether the defense is performing well, absolutely. But, contrary to popular opinion, they haven't just loaded up on offense and told Manning to go out there and carry the team. 

I disagree. The Dumerville saga was horrible and they miss him. They have zero pass rush which will improve some with Miller but he won't cure everything. Their secondary is a sieve. Period. What the Colts had on D in the mid-'00s is far superior to this D that let the lousy Jags go up and down on them.

Still don't understand how Denver affords all these great players and stay under the cap but we couldn't do that here...

I disagree. The Dumerville saga was horrible and they miss him. They have zero pass rush which will improve some with Miller but he won't cure everything. Their secondary is a sieve. Period. What the Colts had on D in the mid-'00s is far superior to this D that let the lousy Jags go up and down on them.

How do they have zero pass rush? They're 9th in the league in sacks. And getting Miller back will do more than "improve some" of the pass rush. He's one of the best pass rushers in the league. Won't be immediate, but they'll be significantly better with him. They'd be better with Dumervil than without, but that was a function of him not playing up to his salary. They had a restructured deal; the agent messed it up.

Their secondary has been hurt. No doubt they've underperformed in their last two games, but the point isn't that they have a great secondary, it's that the Broncos didn't neglect the secondary in the offseason. They brought in two veteran corners, and they drafted a corner in the 3rd round.

It's absolutely false and patently ridiculous to suggest that Colts D in the mid 2000s was better than the Broncos defense this season. You don't know what you're talking about.

Isn't it nice when the country can collectively come together to create on massive glob of stupidity? 

You are a fool if you think Irsay blames Peyton, and honestly I don't understand how you could be a Colts fan and honestly believe it. They taught you reading comprehension in 1st grade. Use it.

When will this end?

I think you're underestimating the impact a healthy Champ Bailey and Von Miller will have on this defense..Miller is probably the 2nd best defensive player behind Watt it's not fair really...

How do they have zero pass rush? They're 9th in the league in sacks. And getting Miller back will do more than "improve some" of the pass rush. He's one of the best pass rushers in the league. Won't be immediate, but they'll be significantly better with him. Their secondary has been hurt. No doubt they've underperformed in their last two games, but the point isn't that they have a great secondary, it's that the Broncos didn't neglect the secondary in the offseason. They brought in two veteran corners, and they drafted a corner in the 3rd round.

It's absolutely false and patently ridiculous to suggest that Colts D in the mid 2000s was better than the Broncos defense this season. You don't know what you're talking about.

At the end of day, the performance on the field justifies what the FO did. The Broncos are not a good defense at all this year. And good FOs plan for injuries and add depth.

I think your underestimating the impact a healthy Champ Bailey and Von Miller will have on this defense..Miller is probably the 2nd best defensive player behind Watt it's not fair really...

Bailey has lost a step and not sure with that foot injury if he will ever be 100 percent this season. Miller will have an impact for sure but it remains to be seen how much with how bad their secondary is if he can get there in time. I expect Luck to have a big game IF Pep lets him throw.

At the end of day, the performance on the field justifies what the FO did. The Broncos are not a good defense at all this year. And good FOs plan for injuries and add depth.

That's exactly what Elway did. How would Denver's defense look if they hadn't signed Shaun Phillips and DRC? What would that interior defensive line look like without Knighton and Sly Williams?

And back to the topic, Polian didn't do any of these things. The Colts defense was deficient, and we kept doing the same thing: adding undrafted free agent defensive players, drafting undersized defensive linemen, and retaining our own defensive free agents. Denver is not building their team the same way Polian built the Colts. The results are yet to be determined, but the approach is drastically different.

That's exactly what Elway did. How would Denver's defense look if they hadn't signed Shaun Phillips and DRC? What would that interior defensive line look like without Knighton and Sly Williams?

And back to the topic, Polian didn't do any of these things. The Colts defense was deficient, and we kept doing the same thing: adding undrafted free agent defensive players, drafting undersized defensive linemen, and retaining our own defensive free agents. Denver is not building their team the same way Polian built the Colts. The results are yet to be determined, but the approach is drastically different.

Denver's defense is ranked 24 in points and 29 in yards and the only decent offensive team they have played is the Cowboys and Romo had a career day against them with 500 yards plus. Give me one Indy defense that performed this badly in the Polian era through six games?

I'm glad that Mr. Irsay repented on his comments.  If he intended it to say it that way in the first place, then maybe he should choose words better in the first place. 

Guys, I'm rooting for the Colts, but I can't accept negative comments about Manning.  Manning is the Jordan of football.  Bulls fans still loved Jordan after he left.

Repented on his comments? He did not criticize Manning, Irsay was being critical of the front office. It was pretty obvious from the start.

Denver's defense is ranked 24 in points and 29 in yards and the only decent offensive team they have played is the Cowboys and Romo had a career day against them with 500 yards plus. Give me one Indy defense that performed this badly in the Polian era through six games?

How often do they play prevent in teh second half?  Look at first half stats when the game is actually close.

I don't know the answer to that. Don't care to find out. What I do know is that the points/game and yards/game are drastically skewed by the Cowboys game.

It's moot, anyways. The point is that the Broncos have not neglected their defense. With the exception of getting rid of Dumervil, they have added to their defense since last year. The results are what they are. But when you compare the way they are building their team, it's not the same way Polian built and maintained the Colts. 

How often do they play prevent in teh second half?  Look at first half stats when the game is actually close.

Almost all of their games have been close until the third or fourth quarters. Even prevent defenses are not that bad. Or at least they shouldn't be. 24 in points means their prevent is just as bad as their normal defense. 

He should never say.......we needed better special teams and D.........because nobody knew it?

Nobody talked about it here? Come on! He's saying what we are doing. Everybody sees it, everybody knows it.........and hating on Jim Irsay for voicing it.......well it's just hating

Just wait until after Manning week to give your theories.

I don't know the answer to that. Don't care to find out. What I do know is that the points/game and yards/game are drastically skewed by the Cowboys game.

It's moot, anyways. The point is that the Broncos have not neglected their defense. With the exception of getting rid of Dumervil, they have added to their defense since last year. The results are what they are. But when you compare the way they are building their team, it's not the same way Polian built and maintained the Colts. 

How do you see the game Sunday? I think the Colts can win if Luck is able to throw more. I also think Indy's D can be disruptive to Manning if they look at what the Jags did. They must get some pressure on him but I think they can disrupt receiver routes too. But Indy will need to score in the 30's for sure to have a chance.

How do you see the game Sunday? I think the Colts can win if Luck is able to throw more. I also think Indy's D can be disruptive to Manning if they look at what the Jags did. They must get some pressure on him but I think they can disrupt receiver routes too. But Indy will need to score in the 30's for sure to have a chance.

The Jags didn't do anything special. Manning made a bad throw on the pick six, which made it a close game. And they lose the two botched snaps. Nothing tremendous about the Jaguars defense. They got dominated just like everyone else, aside from a couple unforced errors. And then, when the Broncos were in scoring range, they decided to keep running the ball. Against the Ravens, Manning would have thrown down near the goalline a bit more, and probably would have had another two or three touchdowns. They punched it in on the Jaguars, by choice.

I see this game the same way I did two weeks ago. The Colts have to get pressure up the middle without blitzing, and the coverage has to stay close. And we have to be strong against the run. 

The Jags didn't do anything special. Manning made a bad throw on the pick six, which made it a close game. And they lose the two botched snaps. Nothing tremendous about the Jaguars defense. They got dominated just like everyone else, aside from a couple unforced errors. And then, when the Broncos were in scoring range, they decided to keep running the ball. Against the Ravens, Manning would have thrown down near the goalline a bit more, and probably would have had another two or three touchdowns. They punched it in on the Jaguars, by choice.

I see this game the same way I did two weeks ago. The Colts have to get pressure up the middle without blitzing, and the coverage has to stay close. And we have to be strong against the run. 

We need to play press coverage and dare Peyton to beat us deep as this is his only weakness..His completion % on the deep ball is pedestrian at best..We can't sit back and let him pull a Tom Brady and dink and dunk us to death...

We need to play press coverage and dare Peyton to beat us deep as this is his only weakness..His completion % on the deep ball is pedestrian at best..We can't sit back and let him pull a Tom Brady and dink and dunk us to death...

Every quarterback has a lower completion percentage on deep balls. Daring Manning to throw deep isn't a good idea. Their receivers have made plenty of plays on deep balls this year.

People just don't think sometimes. Why would irsay diss Peyton and he's throwing a celebration for him this week?

As I've said before, irsay's comments were a knock on polian, not Peyton.

He shouldn't be saying anything, is the point here. 

Just shut up, Jim. Shooosh. 

Yeah......he's doing great damage control by trash talking about pickin' passes from Manning as a means of honoring him. Rich boy needs to shut up, period. Shoooosh

He shouldn't be saying anything, is the point here. 

Just shut up, Jim. Shooosh. 

Yeah......he's doing great damage control by trash talking about pickin' passes from Manning as a means of honoring him. Rich boy needs to shut up, period. Shoooosh

Yeah, Jim Irsay talks himself into trouble a lot. 

Every quarterback has a lower completion percentage on deep balls. Daring Manning to throw deep isn't a good idea. Their receivers have made plenty of plays on deep balls this year.

No kidding...I'm talking his % percentage on long passes as opposed to other QB's % on long passes, this is the 1 chink in the armor and that's what Jax did and they held him down better than anyone else has...