Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where does Freeman land post release?

UKColt13

Then explain how Cassel has been one of the worst QB's in the league since leaving. Its not a cop out answer, and its not proclaiming anyone a genius. Its stating the proven fact that the Patriots and the at the time despicably bad AFC east carried Cassel, rather than him being good enough to start.

Cassel is not the future for anyone. Ponder is equally bad. Josh Freeman has shown promise with less, and is young enough to still have a future.

Minnesota is as close as it gets to the perfect fit.

Who said anything about longterm future for Cassel in Minnesota? Next to Ponder Cassel is good enough to win games right now. That's what I meant by " Matt Cassel is good enough to hold down the starting job there." Did I say anything about a new longterm contract for Cassel? It's a question of immediate need & Cassel  can stretch the field vertically while Ponder cannot. 

By your line of logic, Belichick is solely responsible for Cassel's success simply because he did not replicate that level in KC. Just because a leads to c doesn't mean that a is directly responsible for c. I fail to see your case & effect correlation. Other than HC Marty Schottenheimer & Andy Reid right now, has the Chiefs franchise been relevant at all in the past 4 seasons? Nope. 

Yes, it is indeed a cop out answer SkyBane. You are inferring that Bill Belichick's scheme made Cassel a winner in NE, that success has not be duplicated anywhere else, therefore Bill Belichick was a genius for making Cassel appear to be a franchise winning QB with an 11-5 record in Foxboro. Has Cassel been shuffled to 6-8 teams assuming a new QB position in a new city every off season? I count 3 teams: NE, KC, & Minnesota sir. The sample size of NFL teams, coaching staffs, & tenure as a starting QB is too small to deem Cassel a failure yet. 

Then explain how Cassel has been one of the worst QB's in the league since leaving. Its not a cop out answer, and its not proclaiming anyone a genius. Its stating the proven fact that the Patriots and the at the time despicably bad AFC east carried Cassel, rather than him being good enough to start.

Cassel is not the future for anyone. Ponder is equally bad. Josh Freeman has shown promise with less, and is young enough to still have a future.

Oh boy. You might want to do a little research on the 2008 season. The AFC East was one of the strongest divisions in the NFL that year with three teams having winning records - Dolphins at 11-5; Pats at 11-5; Jets at 9-7; and Bills at 7-9. The Pats lost the division and a playoff spot to Miami who trounced them in New England 38-13 with Cassell at the helm.

Cassell had been Brady's back up for four seasons and had a pretty stellar year throwing for 3,600 yards, 21 TDs and 11 picks. It was a masterful job by Belichick and McDaniels who never gets enough credit IMO but if anything helped Cassell it was the team around him that went 18-1 the year before.

Cassell led the Chiefs to the division title his first year in KC with Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennell as his coordinators and then after that the coaching fell apart in KC and he never really became the type of QB that people thought he might become.

He looked pretty good for Minn last week but overall I agree that he is not the guy long term.

Oh boy. You might want to do a little research on the 2008 season. The AFC East was one of the strongest divisions in the NFL that year with three teams having winning records - Dolphins at 11-5; Pats at 11-5; Jets at 9-7; and Bills at 7-9. The Pats lost the division and a playoff spot to Miami who trounced them in New England 38-13 with Cassell at the helm.

Cassell had been Brady's back up for four seasons and had a pretty stellar year throwing for 3,600 yards, 21 TDs and 11 picks. It was a masterful job by Belichick and McDaniels who never gets enough credit IMO but if anything helped Cassell it was the team around him that went 18-1 the year before.

Cassell led the Chiefs to the division title his first year in KC with Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennell as his coordinators and then after that the coaching fell apart in KC and he never really became the type of QB that people thought he might become.

He looked pretty good for Minn last week but overall I agree that he is not the guy long term.

Whoops. I get my years confused at times. I was absolutely sure that was the year both the Jets and Dolphins were in the dumpster.

Also to southwest1: I never said Belichick was solely respinsible, I said the Patriots were. As in that whole team was good enough to carry just about any QB and be decrnt with some scheme adjustments. Where you got I only credited Belichick, Ill never know.

Also to southwest1: I never said Belichick was solely respinsible, I said the Patriots were. As in that whole team was good enough to carry just about any QB and be decrnt with some scheme adjustments. Where you got I only credited Belichick, Ill never know.

Bill Belichick selects the players on draft day in cooperation with the GM & owner Robert Kraft does he not? He was hired as HC of the Patriots in 2000 right?

Tom Brady went down in 2008 with a knee injury & Matt Cassel took over as QB for the remainder of the season. So, this entire team you speak of that as "good enough to carry just about any QB" who picked every player on that roster since 2000? Bill Belichick. Also, it is worth pointing out that Bill often speaks to the defense about adjustments on the sidelines during games as well meaning that he has a hand in changes incorporated on the fly.

I will never know why you can't follow your own bread crumbs sir. Not a criticism or personal attack at all. I am just bewildered as to why you seem to be having some difficulty following your own inferred thought process.  

I think the Jags should call on him.  I think it's pretty clear that Gabbert isn't the answer and if the Jags need more of him to see that then they have worse people running their team than the Colts did in the middle 80's to early 90's.  See if you can get Freeman on a cheap deal for a year if you can (it's not like teams are tripping over themselves to sign him) if he's not the answer that means the Jags still aren't going to win games so your early draft pick will still be there and if he's on a one year deal you can just let him walk or at worst he becomes your back up.  If he does play well then odds are he's your answer and you can use your draft pick to address another need because that team has more needs than just QB.  They are in need of a total tear down and start over. 

You could make the same argument for the Browns with Hoyer going on IR.  I don't think he makes sense for the Bills because you have the guy you already think is the QB of the future. 

I think the Jags should call on him. I think it's pretty clear that Gabbert isn't the answer and if the Jags need more of him to see that then they have worse people running their team than the Colts did in the middle 80's to early 90's. See if you can get Freeman on a cheap deal for a year if you can (it's not like teams are tripping over themselves to sign him) if he's not the answer that means the Jags still aren't going to win games so your early draft pick will still be there and if he's on a one year deal you can just let him walk or at worst he becomes your back up. If he does play well then odds are he's your answer and you can use your draft pick to address another need because that team has more needs than just QB. They are in need of a total tear down and start over.

You could make the same argument for the Browns with Hoyer going on IR. I don't think he makes sense for the Bills because you have the guy you already think is the QB of the future.

the jags won't sign him on the off chance he accidentally wins them some games.

the jags won't sign him on the off chance he accidentally wins them some games.

That's kinda my point if he comes in and plays well he's young enough he can be their QB of the future and they can use that draft pick (even if it isn't a top five pick) to address another one of their many needs. 

I can't see him in Minnesota. Matt Cassel is good enough to hold down the starting job there. Freeman is a wreck emotionally. No confidence anymore. No takers this season like MTC said.

If you backed me into a corner & forced me to pick a landing spot, SW1 would go with Jacksonville. Freeman could learn from Chad Henne & gain some mojo back.  

Totally agree there. Also the Vikings love to get washed up quarterbacks. Freeman is no where as washed up as Cassel or any of their other starting QB's that the team is known to take in.

Overall I don't think Freeman is a bad QB for all the hell that Tampa Bay has put him through. They scapegoated him to save their terrible coach that already has a dirty record. If they don't fire Schiano after this season, then it just goes to reinforce the statement that the owners are all about milking that team for every last dime they can make.

The cupboard was far from empty in Tampa Bay for Freeman. He had Williams, Jackson, Martin, McCoy, Goldson and Revis. Freeman had a QBR of 48.7 with 80 TDs, 66 interceptions and 25 fumbles in over 4 years. Sorry I don't see where he shows promise with less. His completion% was over 62% in 2011 and that dropped to 45.7 when let go. 

Totally agree there. Also the Vikings love to get washed up quarterbacks. Freeman is no where as washed up as Cassel or any of their other starting QB's that the team is known to take in.

Overall I don't think Freeman is a bad QB for all the heck that Tampa Bay has put him through. They scapegoated him to save their terrible coach that already has a dirty record. If they don't fire Schiano after this season, then it just goes to reinforce the statement that the owners are all about milking that team for every last dime they can make.

I don't there's any other reason.  If they happen to win, great.  But profits first.  The owner has Manchester United to fund-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2446205/Glazer-family-launch-250m-share-issue-rescue-Manchester-United.html

So pay debts for Man U, pocket some spending cash, fieled 53 on the Bucs for as little outlay as possible.  That 'bout covers it.