Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Caldwell And Larry Coyer...

OJl

Hey! Really old guys!!! WAKE UP! The freaking house is on fire!

Seriously, WTH?

Under Tony Dungy we were the best team in the NFL at making second half adjustments. We almost always outplayed opponents in the crucial third quarter of games. And even if we didn't play that well in the fourth quarter, we maintained enough control of the game to let our Hall of Fame QB win it at the end. Now we get one collapse after another.

Against Tampa, Freeman was dumping the pass of the entire night over the short middle because Angerer was playing 15+ yards off the line of scrimmage---IN A CLOSE GAME! Larry Coyer never ever thought to drop a DT into the short middle every once in awhile just to surprise the Bucs. I was saying that the entire night. And I HAVE A FREAKING LEARNING DISABILITY AND I am full blown foolish! Yesterday, the Chiefs got exactly 2 completions over the short middle because Ricardo Matthews (a DT) was dropping off into the short middle.

Against the Chiefs, it was obvious who had been selected to be the designated prison lady - Jacob Lacey! The Chiefs realized Lacey had no chance on Bowe in the second half. Our coaches didn't realize that and make some kind of adjustment? 60,000 people at Lucas Oil realized it. Everyone at home realized it. When I play Madden and the AI is going to one receiver over and over and over again, even I figure it out and and double that guy for a few plays. Guess what? IT WORKS!

Not having Manning hurts badly. But honestly, my boy Curtis Painter is playing well enough to win. There are just too many breakdowns in other areas of the team, including the coaching! The coaching job on this team has been horrendous this year!

Hey! Really old guys!!! WAKE UP! The freaking house is on fire!

Seriously, WTH?

Under Tony Dungy we were the best team in the NFL at making second half adjustments. We almost always outplayed opponents in the crucial third quarter of games. And even if we didn't play that well in the fourth quarter, we maintained enough control of the game to let our Hall of Fame QB win it at the end. Now we get one collapse after another.

Against Tampa, Freeman was dumping the pass of the entire night over the short middle because Angerer was playing 15+ yards off the line of scrimmage---IN A CLOSE GAME! Larry Coyer never ever thought to drop a DT into the short middle every once in awhile just to surprise the Bucs. I was saying that the entire night. And I HAVE A FREAKING LEARNING DISABILITY AND I am full blown foolish! Yesterday, the Chiefs got exactly 2 completions over the short middle because Ricardo Matthews (a DT) was dropping off into the short middle.

Against the Chiefs, it was obvious who had been selected to be the designated prison lady - Jacob Lacey! The Chiefs realized Lacey had no chance on Bowe in the second half. Our coaches didn't realize that and make some kind of adjustment? 60,000 people at Lucas Oil realized it. Everyone at home realized it. When I play Madden and the AI is going to one receiver over and over and over again, even I figure it out and and double that guy for a few plays. Guess what? IT WORKS!

Not having Manning hurts badly. But honestly, my boy Curtis Painter is playing well enough to win. There are just too many breakdowns in other areas of the team, including the coaching! The coaching job on this team has been horrendous this year!

lol, yea did you see coach deer in his presser. he has determined the colts just cant finish! nothing else just a stare and

a don't ask me. well no mod edit we we hav'nt noticed thanks for that info GENIUS.

Seems to me like they do not like making adjustments during the game. Idk why, maybe they feel their preparation and scouting they do during the week should not be changed? I don't know but it's easy to see all of this.

Exactly, that why we can't hold leads or get blown out.

Peyton runs the offense, Clyde Christensen gets a pass due to that IMO. He needs to be up here with Caldwell and Coyer. I just don't see why he gets no heat for our struggles.

The offensive line has improved along with the running game. Other than missing our HOF QB, the offense is working.

Change isn't coming. Sorry.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with that---somewhat. I can see Larry Coyer taking the fall for Caldwell after this season. But I can't see Jim Irsay showing a nice guy like Caldwell the door after a year in which Manning did not play or perhaps played very little.

A big part of the problem is Caldwell though. He doesn't know what he's doing. He looks asleep most of the time. And when he looks awake, he looks lost. He's bumbled some key timeout calls over the last couple of years. His staff does not make in-game adjustments. He regularly gets outcoached in crucial situations (i.e., Super Bowl). And it has just seemed like the critics were right - the Colts have won in spite of him, not because of him.

Peyton Manning is in the twilight of his career. You know the guy badly wants at least one more Super Bowl before he goes into a television booth somewhere. Peyton NEEDS a top flight coach to match him. Jim Caldwell is a really nice man. But he is in WAY over his head with this job.

No coach should get a pass just because of one player being out to start the season, just as no team should be effected so adversely by one player being out. Even if it's a Manning caliber athlete, we should still have 3 wins right now. Why don't we? Look no further than our coaches. I can't believe Caldwell has so many sympathizers.

I know it's like comparing rotten apples to really awesome oranges, but look at what Belichick did with Brady out for the season. 11-5. Good coach that knows how to adjust to his personnel and motivate his team. Our coach? Please... Let's not forget how much these coaches get paid to do their jobs, it's not nearly as much as the players, but it's enough to expect and demand results, with or without #18.

This team is in need of some major house cleaning, a new DC, a new HC, a new special teams coach, and able bodied players who can at least get out of the training room more than 3 games a year. I'm sure when Manning gets back next season, we'll be in the hunt for the playoffs again, but it won't have anything to do with Caldwell, or our defense, or our running game.

But fret not, I'll be tuning in for the three hours of heck against the Bengals next Sunday. Thank goodness I have AJ Green on my fantasy squad, because he'll have single coverage via Jacob Lacey all day...

If I go into cryogenic hibernation, will you guys wake me up when Caldwell is gone? I don't think I can take much more of it. If something is not working, make a change the next play! Don't wait till the game is over and review the tape to realize that the defensive schema we were going with wasn't working... ARGHHH! We have been doing great in the first half, why do we have to go into ultra-conservative mode for the second half? Keep the momentum alive for god's sake!

For those who think the coordinators will be gone, or could be but Caldwell stays:

Caldwell is responsible for bringing them here. Therefore their failures are also his failures.

Sure they stink, but Caldwell is the one who thought they were good enough to bring in here...so he is to blame every bit as much as they are.

I mean if you talk to 12 people, and most say a certain auto repair shop stinks and does shoddy work, but you take your car there anyway, whose fault is it when the work isnt done right? Ultimately its your own, because you should have known better....

I also think if Caldwell is still here by the end of the season, and the Colts are still stinking it up, there is no way he stays.

The media is crawling all over Caldwell right now. How bad will it be when the team loses 3 more? 5 more?

Come on...its obvious to anyone with any common sense there is a problem, and the problem is bigger than losing Manning...they have been in the position to win and havent gotten it done. Period.

Peyton runs the offense, Clyde Christensen gets a pass due to that IMO. He needs to be up here with Caldwell and Coyer. I just don't see why he gets no heat for our struggles.

Trent Dilfer once said Clyde Christensen is the most underrated coach in the NFL

Back to the topic, yes, I think this team would be better off without Coyer and Caldwell. Who can we get to replace them though? There are a number of head coaches available, Gruden (I personally don't want him here), Cowher, Fisher, etc. Who would take over the defensive coordinator position?

No coach should get a pass just because of one player being out to start the season, just as no team should be effected so adversely by one player being out. Even if it's a Manning caliber athlete, we should still have 3 wins right now. Why don't we? Look no further than our coaches. I can't believe Caldwell has so many sympathizers.

I know it's like comparing rotten apples to really awesome oranges, but look at what Belichick did with Brady out for the season. 11-5. Good coach that knows how to adjust to his personnel and motivate his team. Our coach? Please... Let's not forget how much these coaches get paid to do their jobs, it's not nearly as much as the players, but it's enough to expect and demand results, with or without #18.

This team is in need of some major house cleaning, a new DC, a new HC, a new special teams coach, and able bodied players who can at least get out of the training room more than 3 games a year. I'm sure when Manning gets back next season, we'll be in the hunt for the playoffs again, but it won't have anything to do with Caldwell, or our defense, or our running game.

But fret not, I'll be tuning in for the three hours of heck against the Bengals next Sunday. Thank goodness I have AJ Green on my fantasy squad, because he'll have single coverage via Jacob Lacey all day...

why do 90 % of us see and understand this. but there seem to be a rare few that think caldwell is the greatest

coach ever.(he took us to a super bowl) what is it the majority of us are not seeing. the freaking guy is clueless. although he does

notice we are not finishing games. by the way how many inches better are we now!!!

Edited by LUVTHESHOE

They were not going to make any adjustments because they did not need to. The problem was not our game plan it was just our guys not executing. :argh:

The worst was watching Freeman just dink and dunk us over the middle all game long especially at the end of the half. I have no clue why they did not drop Jamaal into coverage or something. I saw them do it once against the Chiefs and just said where the heck was that in the last game.

Coyer has to go after this season.

They were not going to make any adjustments because they did not need to. The problem was not our game plan it was just our guys not executing. :argh:

The worst was watching Freeman just dink and dunk us over the middle all game long especially at the end of the half. I have no clue why they did not drop Jamaal into coverage or something. I saw them do it once against the Chiefs and just said where the heck was that in the last game.

Everytime I hear that it makes my ears bleed. It's up there with "We just need to play a little bit sharper..."

My opinion is that the entire coaching staff needs to be flushed along with the Polian's. Bring in a coach who will build a balanced team. Draft the QBOTF this year and focus on building a team around him that can compete without him having to play a perfect game (In other words the exact opposite of our current strategy)

These ideas about Manning playing out his contract are pipe dreams. He has 2 more years left, it's obvious if you look at how the deal was structured. And we have no idea what those two years will look like because we don't know how he will come back from this injury.

Emphasis on your quote is mine. Hey genious, you just contradicted yourself. The Colts did not need to make an adjustment??? Then you say, "Why they did not drop Jamaal into coverage or something." That by definition is an adjustment! Angerer was 17 yard off the line of scrimmage and running back another 10 yards---IN THE FIRST HALF! Talk about playing conservative! You mean to tell me that the coaches didn't need to make an adjustment by saying, "Uhmmm, hey Pat, scoot up about ten yards, would ya?" Fine. I get it. The secondary sucks and Angerer needed to be that deep to help in coverage. I was saying, "Well, why not drop a DT off into coverage every so often just to mix it up?" It boggles me because I'm an * and I realized an easy adjustment! The coaching staff did NOTHING all night long and Freeman made easy dump passes over the middle all night long.

Against the Chiefs, *gasp* Ricardo Matthews drops off a couple of times and slaps some passes away. Lo and behold, the Chiefs went away from dumping the ball off over the middle. It took the Colts coaching staff an entire week of watching game tape to figure out an adjustment that I figured out was happening as THAT game unfolded. Remember now, I am an *. So WTH does that make our coaches???

Emphasis on your quote is mine. Hey genious, you just contradicted yourself. The Colts did not need to make an adjustment??? Then you say, "Why they did not drop Jamaal into coverage or something." That by definition is an adjustment! Angerer was 17 yard off the line of scrimmage and running back another 10 yards---IN THE FIRST HALF! Talk about playing conservative! You mean to tell me that the coaches didn't need to make an adjustment by saying, "Uhmmm, hey Pat, scoot up about ten yards, would ya?" Fine. I get it. The secondary sucks and Angerer needed to be that deep to help in coverage. I was saying, "Well, why not drop a DT off into coverage every so often just to mix it up?" It boggles me because I'm an * and I realized an easy adjustment! The coaching staff did NOTHING all night long and Freeman made easy dump passes over the middle all night long.

Against the Chiefs, *gasp* Ricardo Matthews drops off a couple of times and slaps some passes away. Lo and behold, the Chiefs went away from dumping the ball off over the middle. It took the Colts coaching staff an entire week of watching game tape to figure out an adjustment that I figured out was happening as THAT game unfolded. Remember now, I am an *. So WTH does that make our coaches???

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

I guess you missed the angry emoticon after the sarcastic comment....

Over the past three games, we have been leading at half time. We need to continue to score in the second half but I really don't lay a lot of the blame at the feet of the offense or, by extension, the offensive coordinator. When your offense is playing well (given the circumstances) and scoring, why would you make a half time adjustment? Granted, you might toss in a wrinkle or two and focus more on running the ball but why go away from what got you the lead in the first place?

Defensivley, we've got to do better. Why on earth is Jacob Lacey covering any number 1 receiver? Your front 4 are bound to wear down in the second half. No pass rush means our corners and safeties actually have to cover guys. Given our lack of depth and/or experience in the secondary, that is a very bad thing.

The entire purpose of drafting Jerry Hughes was so that we could rotate our ends so that they didn't wear out late in the game. Of course, the offense getting more than 2 first downs the entire second half might aleviate some of those problems. I'm not blaming Painter because he's far exceded my expectations but the offense taking the entire second half off isn't going to win us many games.

As to Lacey, do we have any CBs who can actually cover wide receivers? Powers maybe, but he's hurt.

Change isn't coming. Sorry.

John something's got to give with the d play calling it's simply unexceptable, Ray Charles could see the soft spots in our d. Just because we run a tampa 2 doesn't mean we have to use it every play. 5-10 yds off the line. Free release is redicilous. Coyer has to go. He is making our d look way worse than they are I'd rather have Ron Meeks and that's sad

I'd love Jeff Fisher as DC. He's got a defensive background and he runs a 4-3 so there wouldn't be any major overhaul in staff. In other words, we could still use Angerer, Mathis, Freeney, Bethea. Fisher could work with what we have and could add players that he sees fit. (ok...in a perfect world).

I think we need new DB's and a Safety; I'd also like that 330 lbs. DT.

]"I think whatever we call, we just need to execute that better," coach Jim Caldwell said. "That's my job to get them to play better."

Well Jim, how about it's also your job to not only get your coaches to coach better, but to also improve upon your own coaching decisions.

Why does it seem Jim says the same thing everyday?

because he sux as a coach and he does'nt know whats wrong or how to help so he just uses his go to line.

but dont be critical or a couple of people will jump on you, remember he did take manning and the colts to a superbowl!!!

This team was sopposed to be good against the pass and now we can not even defend that. We are getting run over by the run game and then passed over by the passing game. We made Cassel look like a HOF whit this defense i have siad once and i say it again this defense has no heart. It like they are not even trying. They are not wrapping up and tackling and you learn that in football 101 how to tackle how can they all forget.

Caldwell and coyer have to go........and even then i'm not so much sold on coyer leaving........only because i'm not sure if caldwell is overruling him......

thank god hockey season has started.........i'll still watch the colts, but the blackhawks take some of sting out of this colts season.........a

Doesn't Rob Ryan like to run the 3-4? We don't have the personnel for it here

Correct. Say we did hire him, the D line is what stops us from running a 3-4. Yes you could have Freeney play OLB (Would like very odd to be honest) and Mathis play OLB (On paper actually sounds like it could work very well), but as for people playing DE and NT colts just don't really have the people.

Edited by Blackhawk4