Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If you were the Oakland Raiders...

Insert Colts Pun Here

And you do indeed end up picking in the top 3 in draft, do you still take a QB or have you seen enough from Pryor to give him the job permanently and take someone else.

Personally, I've been really surprised by Pryor so far this season. I think he's shown numerous desirable traits such as the ability to throw the deep ball (vs. Broncos), the ability to make plays outside of the pocket (vs. Colts) and a level of accuracy that I did not believe he had. If I were the Raiders, I'd be seriously considering surrounding Pryor with the weapons he needs to succeed, rather than replacing the QB himself. 

We all know about Jadeveon(sp?) Clowney, they could take him. Maybe there's a nice tackle coming out this year. Maybe they could even trade the pick away and move back in the first round and take an interior lineman or a WR. Although, I actually think WR is a position of strength for them, with Moore, Streeter and Ford.

Obviously, we're only 3 games into the season and the draft is a good 7 months away so the Raiders aren't going to be making any decisions like these quite yet. But it doesn't look quite as gloomy for them as it did before the season began.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If I were the Raiders...I would take Bridgewater if I could.  If not trade the pick (if it's top 3) back to the 15-20 range and draft Hundley or Boyd.  This is a very good qb class.  You cannot be the Raiders and miss out on franchise qb again.  Another Idea would be draft Clowney and take one of the qbs that falls to the early 2nd.  I have zero faith that Pryor will develop into a qb that can take a team to a superbowl.  Even though I agree he has shown flashes.

It all depends on how Pryor develops the rest of the season.  So far he has really surprised me with his play and if he can continue to develop they could have a cheap QB.  If he plateaus or takes steps backwards you just draft Bridgewater and go into the next season.

If he can show to be a good QB in this league then you can start to build pieces around him.

I know I would not touch Clowney because that guy was just an ESPN creation off one big hit.  Now that teams are really targeting to stop him he has been pretty much shut down and he seems to be just a disaster this season. 

I believe Pryor has better pocket skills than he's credited for, but I don't feel he can grow those in to upper tier level either.  I would not let him run.  As you can see, coaches are starting to get a feel for this running QB option, and they will start to take a pounding. Once they do, then it goes to their pockets skills. I would see if one of the many decent QB's expected to come out next year get to round 2, then pick him up.  I'd get more offense weapons first.

If Pryor develops and you feel confident in the ability of your offensive coordinator to develop him, then you skip out on Bridgewater.  Then you have to look at what kind of talent you have, which isn't very much, and what is available in the draft.  Teams will really want to get Clowney or Bridgewater, so if one of the two are still there, I would say you trade back.  But you would want to trade back and get a lot in return.  If you can't get a lot in return, take Clowney.  If you can, trade back.

At least Pryor makes the Raiders watchable. I don't see where he's all that bad, and he's more fun to watch than every QB they've had since Rich Gannon went sour.

Oh yeah, he does make them watchable enough and hopefully takes the next step instead of dozing of like Jamarcus Russell did in his classroom sessions.

If I were the Raiders, I'd get Clowney. Dennis Allen would love to get his hands on a pass rusher like that. Then, they would have LaMarr Houston and Clowney for bookend rushers, that would be real good in a division where they will play Rivers and Peyton for a few years.

If they can't get Clowney, they should get Anthony Barr of UCLA for OLB. Dennis Allen has played both 3-4 and 4-3, so I think a pass rusher is the best pick for them at this point. I doubt they abandon Pryor after 1 year unless he shows no improvement whatsoever in the next 9 games.

Oh yeah, he does make them watchable enough and hopefully takes the next step instead of dozing of like Jamarcus Russell did in his classroom sessions.

If I were the Raiders, I'd get Clowney. Dennis Allen would love to get his hands on a pass rusher like that. Then, they would have LaMarr Houston and Clowney for bookend rushers, that would be real good in a division where they will play Rivers and Peyton for a few years.

If they can't get Clowney, they should get Anthony Barr of UCLA for OLB. Dennis Allen has played both 3-4 and 4-3, so I think a pass rusher is the best pick for them at this point. I doubt they abandon Pryor after 1 year unless he shows no improvement whatsoever in the next 9 games.

If they feel reasonably confident in Pryor, and so far so good, you have to take the best player available.  Looks like that will be Clowney.  

They're playing well enough with Pryor at the helm that hey may not be able to get him though.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If they feel reasonably confident in Pryor, and so far so good, you have to take the best player available.  Looks like that will be Clowney.  

They're playing well enough with Pryor at the helm that hey may not be able to get him though.

I think almost any team with the first pick will draft Bridgewater, including Oakland, Jax, Cleveland,  Tampa Bay.  If Pittsburgh or the Giants end up with the first pick (they won't) then they would take Clowney.  I think if Bradford doesn't show significant improvement St. Louis will take Teddy too.

I like Pryor. He makes pro level throws, he actually goes through progressions, he's got a big body and a big arm, and he doesn't flinch under pressure. I thought he'd be this incredibly raw and unrefined guy who scrambles if his first guy isn't open and who bounces the ball to wide open receivers, and that's not the case at all. He's a 65% passer (and that's an accurate representation of his first three games; he didn't have one great game, one average game, and one terrible game, he's been right around there all three games). Both of his picks came in the first game, and one was a late game desperation throw. He goes through progressions better than Robert Griffin (not a knock on Griffin; the Redskins passing concepts are mostly simplistic, but I'm not saying Griffin doesn't have the ability to do more progression-based passing). He's more accurate than Tim Tebow (that IS a knock on Tebow), and he has better footwork and form than Tebow. On top of that, he's a weapon on the ground. 

Now, he'd have to show some significant development as the season goes on. He's got to anticipate his throws better, and he's got to be more accurate dumping it to the flats. But the tools are there, and the mental ability seems to be there to a sufficient degree. The leadership was never really a question. I've been very impressed by Pryor so far.

I think almost any team with the first pick will draft Bridgewater, including Oakland, Jax, Cleveland,  Tampa Bay.  If Pittsburgh or the Giants end up with the first pick (they won't) then they would take Clowney.  I think if Bradford doesn't show significant improvement St. Louis will take Teddy too.

Could you imagine how scary the Steelers or Giants pass-rush would be? JPP, Damontre Moore and Clowney...Jarvis Jones, LaMarr Woodley and Clowney...you better have a good offensive line

Guest TeamLoloJones

Could you imagine how scary the Steelers or Giants pass-rush would be? JPP, Damontre Moore and Clowney...Jarvis Jones, LaMarr Woodley and Clowney...you better have a good offensive line

How about the Panthers? Or god forbid the Texans?

Totally agree. That defense isn't all that far behind, they could be good in the future.

And you do indeed end up picking in the top 3 in draft, do you still take a QB or have you seen enough from Pryor to give him the job permanently and take someone else.

Personally, I've been really surprised by Pryor so far this season. I think he's shown numerous desirable traits such as the ability to throw the deep ball (vs. Broncos), the ability to make plays outside of the pocket (vs. Colts) and a level of accuracy that I did not believe he had. If I were the Raiders, I'd be seriously considering surrounding Pryor with the weapons he needs to succeed, rather than replacing the QB himself. 

We all know about Jadeveon(sp?) Clowney, they could take him. Maybe there's a nice tackle coming out this year. Maybe they could even trade the pick away and move back in the first round and take an interior lineman or a WR. Although, I actually think WR is a position of strength for them, with Moore, Streeter and Ford.

Obviously, we're only 3 games into the season and the draft is a good 7 months away so the Raiders aren't going to be making any decisions like these quite yet. But it doesn't look quite as gloomy for them as it did before the season began.

I would stay with Pryor and trade the pick multiple picks