Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Players Respond To "suck For Luck"

theking213

First let me start by saying that I find it kind of rude that some Colts fans are actually calling into radio shows and suggesting this Suck for Luck thing.

It gives the impression to the players and the media that the majority of Colts fans are actually behind the team losing just so we can draft a 2nd string QB for 3-4 years.

This team does't need to try to lose games, they're just not good enough to win.

Anyways here's the article

Veteran Colts still not feeling the Luck as they drop to 0-5

Credit NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822ff96c/article/veteran-colts-still-not-feeling-the-luck-as-they-drop-to-05-

The Indianapolis Colts lost their fifth straight game on Sunday, falling 28-24 to the Kansas City Chiefs. Some Indianapolis fans have already given up on the 2011 season and want the team to do the same, using local radio shows to urge a push for next year's presumed No. 1 overall draft pick, Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck.

But don't tell that to the team's veterans, as a sportswriter for the Indianapolis Star learned when he asked star Colts defensive end Robert Mathis if the team should write off the season and try to draft Luck.

Veteran Colts receiver Reggie Wayne echoed Mathis' comments."You really want me to address that?" Mathis asked. "You have to understand we're professionals. We don't go through training camp, minicamp, OTAs, offseason training just to tank a year for a college player that's unproven. To heck with that. I'm not tanking anything. You can write that. I'm not sucking for nobody."

"It's ridiculous, man. We've got 12 games left. Who knows what's going to happen? We don't even know if Luck is what everybody says he is. One thing we do know is there is a big difference between college and the pros. You don't know what's going to happen until he makes it to the next stage," Wayne said. "Until then, we have our quarterbacks. We're going to go rock with them."

Curtis Painter played well in his second start for the Colts on Sunday, completing 15 of 27 passes for 277 yards with two touchdowns.

Painter, who stepped in for Kerry Collins after Collins suffered a concussion and was ineffective for the team's first three games, told the Star that Colts fans "have been good all along in some tough situations for us, but they've been really great all year. I expect the same."

Edited by theking213

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for Reggie and Robert!

Veteran Colts receiver Reggie Wayne echoed Mathis' comments."You really want me to address that?" Mathis asked. "You have to understand we're professionals. We don't go through training camp, minicamp, OTAs, offseason training just to tank a year for a college player that's unproven. To heck with that. I'm not tanking anything. You can write that. I'm not sucking for nobody."

It was really a stupid question to ask the players to begin with. What did they expect them to say? "Heck yeah, were losing on purpose. Screw the fans, were losing for the team". Any team that obviously tanks games should lose their right to the 1st overall pick. With that said, I don't think they need to try to lose, they just simply are a bad team.

fine, we're not good enough to win. doesnt mean we will pass on a 2nd string QB who will ride the pine ala Favre/Rodgers

When will we stop comparing a Manning/Luck scenario to the Favre/Rodgers scenario? They are not the same. Rodgers was picked #24 and not expected to play, while Favre was expected to retire sooner than he did. The Colts will never railroad Manning out of town the way GB did Favre, either.

Reggie and Robert are two guys who play all out every game. I wouldn't expect them to take kindly to being asked about the "Suck for Luck" campaign.

Well the players can claim to be upset about what some fans are saying but their actions will speak louder than words. They say they have too much pride to "suck for Luck" but their on the field play begs to differ. Right now this team does not have to try to suck for anyone because the sucking is occurring naturally.

Edited by Coltsman1788

Very well.... now that Mathis and Reggie have THAT out of the way, maybe they can get themselves and the 51 other players AND the coaching staff to do their jobs better.

Losing to the Chiefs in the manner that they did was absolutely ridiculous.

So.... in my inaugural weekly "suck for (fill in the blank)"....we SHOULD suck for Dre Kirkpatrick or Morris Claiborne.... because Jacob Lacey looked like a crippled chihuahua covering Dwayne Bowe yesterday.

Well the players can claim to be upset about what some fans are saying but their actions will speak louder than words. They say they have too much pride to "suck for Luck" but their on the field play begs to differ. Right now this team does not have to try to suck for anyone because the sucking is occurring naturally.

You must be watching a different team. The Colts that I've been watching have been busting their butts and leaving everything on the field. They lose, but it's not for lack of trying.

You must be watching a different team. The Colts that I've been watching have been busting their butts and leaving everything on the field. They lose, but it's not for lack of trying.

I'm not sure that Dallas fits that description. His effort seems half-hearted. But yes, I agree, I've seen quite a bit of effort for the most part. I used to try and dunk a basketball, I tried real hard. I just couldn't do it.

Very well.... now that Mathis and Reggie have THAT out of the way, maybe they can get themselves and the 51 other players AND the coaching staff to do their jobs better.

Losing to the Chiefs in the manner that they did was absolutely ridiculous.

So.... in my inaugural weekly "suck for (fill in the blank)"....we SHOULD suck for Dre Kirkpatrick or Morris Claiborne.... because Jacob Lacey looked like a crippled chihuahua covering Dwayne Bowe yesterday.

i dont understand why powers wasnt covering him?

I think it is a bad idea to draft Luck! He would have to better than Mr. Manning to be worth it. What are the chances that he is or will be even close to Manning? We need to upgrade our cornerbacks now.

Colts fans have had a collective dread over the last few years, as Manning's career is undoubtedly winding down. We don't look forward to the time when we spin the QB carousel. Luck and this off-opportunity for us to select a top five pick has captured much of our imagination.

We're going to need a QB soon, and we don't need a guy that is better than the best, he needs only to be a really good franchise caliber guy. That is not an unreasonable expectation. I agree that there is no player worth purposely tanking a season over, that idea is akin to space alien conspiracy talk.

We could select Luck and still have opportunity to select some of the best CB's in next years draft.

Edited by ruksak

Not saying they are not trying just that the effort that they have put forth thus far hasn't been good enough to make fans stop all this "suck for Luck" talk. Leaving everthing on the field won't win games when what you have to leave isn't much. With the amount of yardage and points we are surrendering defensively week in and week out it is hard for me to understand how anyone can say this team is "leaving everything on the field".

Good for Reggie and Robert!

My favourite quote from the whole piece

I think it is a bad idea to draft Luck! He would have to better than Mr. Manning to be worth it. What are the chances that he is or will be even close to Manning? We need to upgrade our cornerbacks now.

mister manning only has four years left. and once hes gone then what? you want to tank another season? we need to look ahead pass manning so we can be prepared to win games without him. rather you guys realize it or not the manning era will soon be done.

I'm pretty sure there's still this Manning guy on the sideline who's expected to make a full recovery and has 4 years left on his contract. No doubt that it's a rough and frustrating season for fans and players, but they've shown promise for the past 3 weeks and will no doubt bounce back from this 5 game disaster either this year or next. This is essentially the same team that finished 14-2* and went to the Super Bowl 2 years ago, so all of the pieces are still in place if they can stay healthy. No need to get on the Luck bandwagon and start thinking about rebuilding. If he happens to be available in April when the Colts are on the clock, fine. Pick him up and let him spend 3 or 4 years learning from the greatest ever. But for now, let's all step away from the ledge and just look forward to our first win which is hopefully sooner than later.

Not saying they are not trying just that the effort that they have put forth thus far hasn't been good enough to make fans stop all this "suck for Luck" talk. Leaving everthing on the field won't win games when what you have to leave isn't much. With the amount of yardage and points we are surrendering defensively week in and week out it is hard for me to understand how anyone can say this team is "leaving everything on the field".

I think we're trying to say the same thing in two slightly different ways.

I feel like the team is playing hard and giving their best effort. Unfortunately, the best efforts of Painter, Powers, Lacey, Caldwell, Lefeged, Linkenbach, and others just isn't very good. I don't think anyone can complain about the effort our guys are displaying, but there sure is room to talk about their talent. I thought you were saying that the guys weren't playing hard, thus my response.

If PM is healthy for and wants to play for four more years, the problem with drafting Luck is that he would sit behind Peyton for his entire rookie contract, and we would have to pay him the 5th year club option and second contract without him ever proving himself. Paying an unproven player a lot of money isn't a good idea. So, unless the front office wants to cut PM's Colts career short or PM can't ever play again, it makes no sense to draft Luck.

I'm sure this has been posted before, but this Dunlevy article on the subject hits the nail on the head: http://18to88.com/2011-archives/september/its-time-to-talk-about-luck.html

Edited by Larry Horseman

I actually saw a guy at the game with a "Suck for Luck" shirt on. We can talk about it and some people may want it to happen but don't show up at a game with that stuff on. It is an embarrassment.

For years we have debated with other fans (mainly Patriots but Saint, Steelers, Chargers, anyone witha good-great QB) that no other QB can do what Manning does for his team. I think this year proves that fact as we watch a perennial SB contender embark on a winless season so far. If you really believe no other QB in the league could get this team to the SB like Manning, why would you want to put Luck on this team to lead? We need a better team that does not rely on the QB position so much. If Manning comes back to full strength for the next 4-5-6 years depending on when he actually retires and we are picking late in the rounds again, it is exceedingly difficult to find a game changer in later rounds. Take the Luck pick and trade it for someone else'e entire draft board this year and maybe some of next year's. We saw Ditka do it for Ricky Williams and he was the third pick that year. If we make the team better, we won't need to find the greatest of all time to lead us again. Also, what has it done for the team to have the GOAT QB the last 13 years? Yes, 10-14 win seasons are a lot of fun but to win a championship you must have a complete team. Manning has been missing that his entire career. Stop with the Luck debate. If you want to have a team that competes for years to come you should want a better team, not a single player with no pro experience.

fine, we're not good enough to win. doesnt mean we will pass on a 2nd string QB who will ride the pine ala Favre/Rodgers

The Packers didn't have a guy (in Rodgers) touted nearly as highly as Luck, and they knew he was developmental anyway. They also paid less than 1/8 of what Luck will cost to sit and do nothing.

I actually saw a guy at the game with a "Suck for Luck" shirt on. We can talk about it and some people may want it to happen but don't show up at a game with that stuff on. It is an embarrassment.

For years we have debated with other fans (mainly Patriots but Saint, Steelers, Chargers, anyone witha good-great QB) that no other QB can do what Manning does for his team. I think this year proves that fact as we watch a perennial SB contender embark on a winless season so far. If you really believe no other QB in the league could get this team to the SB like Manning, why would you want to put Luck on this team to lead? We need a better team that does not rely on the QB position so much. If Manning comes back to full strength for the next 4-5-6 years depending on when he actually retires and we are picking late in the rounds again, it is exceedingly difficult to find a game changer in later rounds. Take the Luck pick and trade it for someone else'e entire draft board this year and maybe some of next year's. We saw Ditka do it for Ricky Williams and he was the third pick that year. If we make the team better, we won't need to find the greatest of all time to lead us again. Also, what has it done for the team to have the GOAT QB the last 13 years? Yes, 10-14 win seasons are a lot of fun but to win a championship you must have a complete team. Manning has been missing that his entire career. Stop with the Luck debate. If you want to have a team that competes for years to come you should want a better team, not a single player with no pro experience.

Almost all of us who favor picking Luck 1st overall.... if we have that pick..... have stated that it is contingent upon Peyton's health.

Sadly....I have my doubts that Peyton can be relied upon, health-wise, for any longer than 1-2 seasons. I hope I'm wrong, but he and the organization will have tough decisions to make pending the medical outcome.

Your argument is fine if your premise is accurate.... but IMO.... it is highly optimistic.

It is only a bad idea if Peyton plays the rest of his contract, but even then you are playing with fire once Manning retires. If anything has been proven by Manning being out is the fact that Manning has carried this team since he got here. Not having the heir apparent behind him is a dangerous game. Without Manning you are basically forced to blow everything up because of how much this team is built around him.

The reason the defense is built like this is because it is built to play with the lead that Manning gets. His sheer presence makes the opposing team feel like they have to keep up with Manning so the bigger the lead the more pass happy they get which plays straight into the hands of Freeney and Mathis. As we have seen in the Browns, Bucs, Steelers, and Chiefs games they really cannot go toe to toe and be the one making plays and stopping the opposing team on a consistent basis.

The offense is Manning and a bunch of shiny toys for him to play with. Sure Painter is not driving the Ferrari off the cliff, but he is not driving it like it can be driven.

Drafting one of the best prospects at QB in a long time could help insure that transition from the Manning era goes smoothly. Teams like Miami and Denver did not get a chance to grab a top tier prospect at QB in the last few years of Marino's and Elways's career. We have been given a chance that most teams who transition from an all time great never get.

Now of course there is a risk given the new CBA. Early into Luck's career we will have to pick up his option for his final year, but that will then pay him in his final year top 10 money. If Manning plays out his contract you could be paying Luck and Manning a huge amount of money. Also, given how much of a competitor Luck is will he really want to sit on the bench while Manning plays another 3-4 years. Another issue could be what happens if Manning starts dramatically declining. We will find us in the same spot the 49ers found themselves with Montana and Young. Of course you do what is best for the franchise and move Manning as blasphemous as it sounds.

There are major risks on both sides of the coin.

The Packers didn't have a guy (in Rodgers) touted nearly as highly as Luck, and they knew he was developmental anyway. They also paid less than 1/8 of what Luck will cost to sit and do nothing.

Rodgers signed a $7.7 mil rookie deal at #24.

You're saying Luck will get $60 million ( 8 times Rodgers' money) under the new rookie salary cap? Because Cam Newton just got $22 million, total.... all guaranteed.

I seriously doubt Luck will nearly triple what Newton got.... I doubt the rookie cap agreement allows for that.

I don't think anyone in the league was as highly touted as Luck.

I think we're trying to say the same thing in two slightly different ways.

I feel like the team is playing hard and giving their best effort. Unfortunately, the best efforts of Painter, Powers, Lacey, Caldwell, Lefeged, Linkenbach, and others just isn't very good. I don't think anyone can complain about the effort our guys are displaying, but there sure is room to talk about their talent. I thought you were saying that the guys weren't playing hard, thus my response.

Yeah I got you. No worries boss. :thmup:

Almost all of us who favor picking Luck 1st overall.... if we have that pick..... have stated that it is contingent upon Peyton's health.

Sadly....I have my doubts that Peyton can be relied upon, health-wise, for any longer than 1-2 seasons. I hope I'm wrong, but he and the organization will have tough decisions to make pending the medical outcome.

Your argument is fine if your premise is accurate.... but IMO.... it is highly optimistic.

That is why I said IF Manning comes back. If he is back next year, his 4 remaining years will be paid out so he will be here for at least 4 years. If he is playing well, he may want another year or two. Yes that is being highly optimistic but if we give him a good team that he can win championships with, he may want to stay. Also, Manning's most valuable weapon is his mind. That is not leaving him. I think if he comes back 70% with a good team around him, we will still compete for championships (although he may not want to be back if he is not 100%). If we get Luck and do nothing to improve the team, we will be like the Rams.

Given the opportunity of course, I just don't see how it makes sense to pass on a highly respected franchise caliber QB when we have a 36 year old QB that is currently sitting out an entire year after a series of very serious neck surgeries.

To pass on him would make no sense in the long run. We're talking about 12 years of the Colts future, post-Manning.

Does anyone think it would have been wise to pass on Manning given similar circumstances?

i dont understand why powers wasnt covering him?

I would assume that if they swapped Powers and Lacey then it would have been Breaston who would have started torching us instead of Bowe. However, like you I also wondered why they didn't at least give it a shot. You never know, based on differences in size, speed, play style etc Lacey may have matched up better on Breaston than Bowe. I would have at least tried it out.

If PM is healthy for and wants to play for four more years, the problem with drafting Luck is that he would sit behind Peyton for his entire rookie contract, and we would have to pay him the 5th year club option and second contract without him ever proving himself. Paying an unproven player a lot of money isn't a good idea. So, unless the front office wants to cut PM's Colts career short or PM can't ever play again, it makes no sense to draft Luck.

I'm sure this has been posted before, but this Dunlevy article on the subject hits the nail on the head: http://18to88.com/20...about-luck.html

THANK YOU....I love the article and I'm adding it to my signature. I could not agree more with everything said in the article. :) My favorite quote from the article:

If Manning is healthy, he's going to play for 4 to 5 more years. It's too soon to take Luck to 'learn' from Manning. This option makes the least sense. It's probably the most popular among fans and pundits, but it's pure unadulterated stupidity. It will ruin the franchise.

Many of us are too in love with Peyton to understand that he is not the long term future of this franchise anymore. We will eventually have to move on without him. We will either be prepared for it when the time comes or be thrown into disarray when that inevitable day arrives.

I agree that there is only one Peyton Manning. However, Luck, Kellen Moore or whoever else does not have to be "better than Peyton" to be worthwhile for us to draft. Teams have won championships with far less talent at that position. I expect that whichever team drafts Luck will get a player who will become good quarterback in his own right.

If we find ourselves in position to take Luck with the number 1 pick then I think we should do it. We will also have high picks in all of the other rounds to address our secondary & other immediate concerns.

THANK YOU....I love the article and I'm adding it to my signature. I could not agree more with everything said in the article. :) My favorite quote from the article:

I could counter much of this by saying what regret will the future bring if we did pass on him?

I'll ask again, what if we had passed on Manning due to similar circumstance?

Many of us are too in love with Peyton to understand that he is not the long term future of this franchise anymore. We will eventually have to move on without him. We will either be prepared for it when the time comes or be thrown into disarray when that inevitable day arrives.

I agree that there is only one Peyton Manning. However, Luck, Kellen Moore or whoever else does not have to be "better than Peyton" to be worthwhile for us to draft. Teams have won championships with far less talent at that position. I expect that whichever team drafts Luck will get a player who will become good quarterback in his own right.

If we find ourselves in position to take Luck with the number 1 pick then I think we should do it. We will also have high picks in all of the other rounds to address our secondary & other immediate concerns.

I completely agree, but they did it with a great team around the quarterback. Why did NE win 11 games when Brady went down? It was not because of Cassell, it was because they had a great team around Brady. If we draft Luck in this draft with or without Manning coming back, he better be as good as Manning because that is the only way he will win with this team.

I don't think we are too in love with Manning being the reason not to take Luck. I think we are more realistic in seeing this is a horrible team and one player (even the greatest of all time) can't win championships with it so why do we want to draft another guy to try. Improve the team, then worry about a quarterback.

I could counter much of this by saying what regret will the future bring if we did pass on him?

I'll ask again, what if we had passed on Manning due to similar circumstance?

The Manning year was very different in that there were very few quality QB prospects in that draft. In fact if I remember right, the only other QB from that draft that amounted to anything was Matt Hasselbeck. I believe there were 8 QB's drafted in that entire draft whereas in the 2012 draft I think there will be 4-6 drafted in the first 2 rounds alone. That's been my whole point, Luck is not the only option to bring in a QB to groom for the future.

True, but my counter would be how much regret to we have in passing on the one opportunity in the Manning era where we'll have the #1 pick and the opportunity to not only acquire a buttload of extra picks for this draft but also set ourselves up with at least 2 first round picks in next year's draft...which we can essentially use as a luxury and trade one of them back to acquire an additional first round for the following year and so on. How many years in a row has NE had 2 picks in the first round? We could easily do the same and who knows, maybe one of the team we deal with has an off season and we wind up with their top 5 pick all because we took a chance and picked another very talented, developmental QB instead of Luck?

However, regardless of the deal that's made, I do think that if we trade down, no matter what extra picks we acquire and what players those picks turn out to be...even if we wind up getting 3-4 perennial pro-bowlers with the picks we acquired by trading Luck, the whole draft will still be graded only by how well the QB we do select turns out. If we were to get 3-4 perennial pro-bowlers at other positions who helped solidy the Colts into a more solid overall team, if the QB we do select fails then there are still going to be people who see nothing beyond "we had the chance to get Luck and we passed"

If the opportunity is there you don't pass on a possible franchise QB. If he has to sit for a while then so be it. We have all seen first hand how big a difference one good QB can make in the win/loss column. If the Colts don't start thinking about our future QB situation now when Peyton is done(whenever that may be?) we could see many more seasons like this one.