Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Holmgren And The Richardson Trade

dw49

Yeah there seems like some animosity, but he does make some valid points. When looking at it, I think the trade benefits both teams. If the Colts wanted to get a smash mouth RB with heaps of potential to be elite, they got one. The Browns on the other hand are stockpiling picks for next year.

I do think Trent is going to be much better for the Colts vs than how he was for the Browns. I think we will see that as the year progresses, hopefully.

His comments seem to be from the perspective of a coach whose GM has made it clear that he has no concerns with winning the current season. A coach can't accept that - for one thing it's damaging to his career. His sole concern is winning now - always.

But off course he wasn't the coach when Richardson came on board. One would think that he could see this from the GMs perspective. He was fired and the team is "going in a different direction". Why act as if the Browns should have kept furthering his plans - better to simply comment on the Colts, because they clearly are as enthusiastic about Richardson as he is.

His comments seem to be from the perspective of a coach whose GM has made it clear that he has no concerns with winning the current season. A coach can't accept that - for one thing it's damaging to his career. His sole concern is winning now - always.

But off course he wasn't the coach when Richardson came on board. One would think that he could see this from the GMs perspective. He was fired and the team is "going in a different direction". Why act as if the Browns should have kept furthering his plans - better to simply comment on the Colts, because they clearly are as enthusiastic about Richardson as he is.

I did say he was biased and I'm sure Holmgren is smart enough to realize this is obvious to all. I believe what he is doing is going on record saying they (Browns) are a collection of donkeys. This really is a heck of a bold move trading a 22 year old RB that you took 3rd overall only a year ago. If they end up with something around pick 1.20 that is a ridiculous return if Richardson is just a very good RB. Furthermore they are paying 3 million of his 5 million $ salary for this year and the next two. If TR is not just "a guy" , they are truly moronic. About the only other way this will pay off is if they suck enough to get a top 2 pick. 

Former teammate Fujita has some words about Richardson:

@MaryKayCabot: Ex #Browns LB Fujita says Trent Richardson was late for treatments, didn't engage w/ teammates, high maintenance http://t.co/UqH1DYnhA3

Getting drafted #3 overall to the browns cod do that to you, lol. But seriously, I don't think we'll have that problem here. He's already talked about how well our locker room is and how he could even see from across the field how our players interact with each other. Like a family!

This was a silly trade for Cleveland... They gave up their 1st, 4th, 5th, and 7th round picks to draft the guy... even if the new regime thought that drafting Richardson was a mistake, they were basically going to pay him anyway... Do they really think they are going to get a guy of Richardson's caliber with that pick? Ridiculous. T.R. was universally touted coming out of Alabama as a sure fire #1 RB and he showed a lot in his rookie season, running for 11 scores with broken ribs and other injuries... Even though Cleveland probably wasn't going to build anything special around him, they won't recoup the loss with that pick... Its just plain silly to expect that they will... even if you think that no RB is worth a 1st round pick, I can tell you that it is a certainty that many teams other than the Browns were looking to trade up to get Richardson... He is going to be special here... Then again, I am as biased toward Indy as Holmgren is against Cleveland...

This was a silly trade for Cleveland... They gave up their 1st, 4th, 5th, and 7th round picks to draft the guy... even if the new regime thought that drafting Richardson was a mistake, they were basically going to pay him anyway... Do they really think they are going to get a guy of Richardson's caliber with that pick? Ridiculous. T.R. was universally touted coming out of Alabama as a sure fire #1 RB and he showed a lot in his rookie season, running for 11 scores with broken ribs and other injuries... Even though Cleveland probably wasn't going to build anything special around him, they won't recoup the loss with that pick... Its just plain silly to expect that they will... even if you think that no RB is worth a 1st round pick, I can tell you that it is a certainty that many teams other than the Browns were looking to trade up to get Richardson... He is going to be special here... Then again, I am as biased toward Indy as Holmgren is against Cleveland...

We are on the exact same page with this. You're not reaching here at all. I know we, as Colts fans, have to ask that question, because our emotional interest is involved. We have to take a step back at times to find rational solutions.

I have examined this in my mind, from every angle possible, with what we know today. This was simply a poor move by Cleveland and we are the beneficiaries. This is a gift.

We could have 30 chances at picking RBs from 15-32nd overall, and never walk away with a back of Richardson's caliber.

T-RICH  and, WEEDEN  were both set up to fail by the front office.

EVERY RADIO SHOW HERE,is trying to sell us that this was best.  The browns beat the bengals and,steelers last year AND,PLAYED THE RAVENS TOUGH TWICE.  The colts also.

We knew we needed offensive line help EITHER,in free agency or the draft.  Guys on nfl network talking about how smart mike lombardi AND,joe banner are.   They only come out of the draft with BARKEVIOUS MINGO.

AND HE ISNT A STARTER AT NUMBER 6.  A former defensive end is starting in front of him.

They dont bring in a starter IN FREE AGENCY OR THE DRAFT.

they take a kid from chadrin state or somewhere in the 7th round.

they have a guard lsat year almost DIES from bloodclots.  The other starting guard MISSED THE WHOLE PRESEASON WITH ANKLE SURGERY.

THEY DONT BRING IN ANYBODY.  The detroit lions ragdolled the starting guard all night long in preseason eventually putting him on skates SSOO BBAADD on one play all the way across the formation,into the guy who was trying to come back from bloodclots.  Now he is out for 9 - 10 games.

THEY WERE DOWN TO THEIR 4TH GUARD.  3 WEEKS LEFT IN PRESEASON.  They dont bring anybody in.

The cleveland browns offensive line can neither, RUN BLOCK or PASS BLOCK.

Now the team president wants to put the blame ON RICHARDSON and,WEEDEN.

And the sportstalk guys are going with that,because there are only 2 stations here that talk sports and,BOTH have shows officially tied to the browns.   Weeden,MANNING,BREES,BRADY   Knowone could do anything behind that line.

No push in the running game and,it looks like GRAND CENTRAL on passing downs. Rusher are in the backfield BEFORE weeden can complete a 3 step drop.

I am literally done with this stuff.  Enough of these guys who think they are the smartest people in the room. THEY AINT THAT.

I dont know why anyone has faith in their talent evaluation TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF LATE FIRST ROUND PICKS.

I DONT KNOW WHY VETERAN PLAYERS WOULD STAY HERE FOR THE 10th REBUILD SINCE 1999.  Seems like we are in FOR ANOTHER 3  to 5 YEAR PLAN.

Why wouldnt a pro bowl caliber player,WANT TO PLAY FOR A WINNER.

This is a plan,that has been set in motion.   t-rich can play,he just had the wheels kicked out from under him here BY               PEOPLE WHO HAVE AN AGENDA.

In cleveland it doesnt seem the agenda EVER IS WINNING.

Seems like it is always WE GOTTA BLOW IT UP.

Then the excuse for losing,we are a young team.

I HOPE T-RICH GAINS 1500 with 18 TD  and,you guys get to the big game.  IM OUT.

I did say he was biased and I'm sure Holmgren is smart enough to realize this is obvious to all. I believe what he is doing is going on record saying they (Browns) are a collection of donkeys. This really is a heck of a bold move trading a 22 year old RB that you took 3rd overall only a year ago. If they end up with something around pick 1.20 that is a ridiculous return if Richardson is just a very good RB. Furthermore they are paying 3 million of his 5 million $ salary for this year and the next two. If TR is not just "a guy" , they are truly moronic. About the only other way this will pay off is if they suck enough to get a top 2 pick. 

He may well be right about their donkeyness. We've all listened to Lombardi for years on tv and I was never all that impressed. Banner has had success but we don't know how much of that was Reid. I don't blame Holmgren for being bitter, and I could understand him having a low opinion of them, I just don't think that it's in his best interests to be so vocal about it.

The thing is, while I have no idea if Richardson is a star or a schlub, or is worth a #3 pick or a #20, I'm not sure that it matters. My perspective is that the person they are really giving up on is Weeden. If Richardson is a stud he could be just good enough to keep them mediocre endlessly. Their goal is clearly to gamble on getting a top QB in next years draft, and now they are more likely to accomplish this while having an additional pick to play with. If they turn around and use that pick for another RB maybe there will be reason to question their sanity, but I find that hard to believe. More likely oline or WR. I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Weeden as well. Too old to build around for the future, but maybe someone else thinks they can make something out of him. Eliminate any QB controversy and get another (albeit lower) pick in the process.

I hear the Jets are in the market. :P

He may well be right about their donkeyness. We've all listened to Lombardi for years on tv and I was never all that impressed. Banner has had success but we don't know how much of that was Reid. I don't blame Holmgren for being bitter, and I could understand him having a low opinion of them, I just don't think that it's in his best interests to be so vocal about it.

The thing is, while I have no idea if Richardson is a star or a schlub, or is worth a #3 pick or a #20, I'm not sure that it matters. My perspective is that the person they are really giving up on is Weeden. If Richardson is a stud he could be just good enough to keep them mediocre endlessly. Their goal is clearly to gamble on getting a top QB in next years draft, and now they are more likely to accomplish this while having an additional pick to play with. If they turn around and use that pick for another RB maybe there will be reason to question their sanity, but I find that hard to believe. More likely oline or WR. I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Weeden as well. Too old to build around for the future, but maybe someone else thinks they can make something out of him. Eliminate any QB controversy and get another (albeit lower) pick in the process.

You have a point regarding Holmgren commenting on this. 

Of coarse I know the guy has some bias but here ya go anyway....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000247444/article/mike-holmgren-rips-browns-trent-richardson-trade

"Holmgren believes Richardson is a future star. He never would be on board with sending that promise elsewhere."

I agree 100% with Mike Holmgren. He has credibility to me due to the coaching tree he created with Jon Gruden and Andy Reid and taking the Seattle Seahawks to the SB at Ford Field in 2005 with a then unproven QB named Matthew Hasselbeck from Green Bay. Seattle was a joke when Mike took over the reigns in 1998-1999 season. Too many people forget that. They also seem to gloss over Mike's role in making Brett Favre a HOF QB from Atlanta that no one cared about in 1992. Also, don't dismiss Holmgren landing SB Champion XXIX Ricky Watters RB from the San Francisco 49ers either in 1998. 

I respect Mike & don't view him bitter at all personally. 

Coaching_Trees.GIF

I only brought up Mike Holmgren's coaching credentials in this league to prove a point. It's too easy to dismiss Mike's comments if all you look at his his tenure with the Browns alone. Mike knows how to coach & what it takes to win in this league week in & week out: Playmakers like Trent Richardson. Mike isn't just some no name executive. He's won a SB & several NFC North division titles. He has clout & when he speaks SW1 listens. 

Interesting...If your argument was coached as an indictment against Holmgren because they let Weeden go that would make more sense since Mike is regarded as a QB guru working with Steve Young, Brett Favre, & Matthew Hasselbeck playing a crucial role in all of developments as NFL franchise QBs. However, Holmgren isn't directing any of his comments toward Weeden though they all pertain exclusively to Richardson. Why? because Mike knows the value in move the chains RBs from Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, & Ricky Watters [in Seattle] especially in the snow of the Midwest. 

Again JMO MAC but Mike isn't bitter...He just knows that RBs, especially a franchise one wins games, keeps coaches employed, gets fans excited, & sells stadium tickets. 

Why should Mike stay silent about a colossally stupid move carried out by Browns management? I want him to speak up. I'd appreciate his candor & his unabashed assessment of what a team must do to compete for SBs..

"Why act as if the Browns should have kept furthering his plans?" I am curious as to where you are getting that from? What Mike's comments are not relevant since CEO Mr. Banner fired him? Mike had a much longer tenure as a HC for GB & Seattle as opposed to his short time as President for the Browns from 2010-2012. It stands to reason that a person would draw upon what they have done longest coaching vs front office duties. 

And another thing. Why would Holmgren comment on the Colts & the addition of Richardson? He has no track record or familiarity with how our team is run at all. Sure, Mike can say INDY is a top tier franchise, but beyond that Holmgren has nothing earth shattering to say about Richardson's new NFL home...

Look MAC, honestly I'm not picking on you I swear. I just fail to visualize the "bitterness" you see from Mike that doesn't literally exist to me...

Some franchises just never seem to get it.  Year after year they are the bottom feeders.  If Holmgren thought T.R. was worth a 1st round pick, that is the opinion I give the most weight to.  Our GM also believes T.R. is worth a 1st round pick, which only validates Holmgren's opinion, IMO. 

The trade has been made.  T.R. is a Colt.  Let's watch and see how this works out.  Then criticize or congratulate our G.M.