Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You never spend a No.1 on a running back, remember?

oldunclemark

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe post-knee injury talent.

Edge could turn a 2 yard loss into a 5 yard gain. Unfortunately, after the injury, he could also turn a 15 yard gain into a 5 yard gain.

i just meant talent level in terms of chance to be the best running back in his draft class and one of the better backs in the league not that they were the same type of player although I do think Edge and Trent have some similar qualities.

Personally I've always thought the "rule" should be that you don't spend a first round pick on a running back and build your team around him in lieu of getting a franchise quarterback.  Sure, it's a passing league, but why wouldn't you want a top end running back if you already have a franchise quarterback?  I mean, look at Edgerrin James.  Sure, the Colts didn't win a Super Bowl with him, but given that we already had Manning, I call that a very successful pick.

The problem is that so many teams that draft a running back that early have crap at QB.  Maybe they assume they can get one one or two years down the line.  Worked out (mostly) for the Chargers since a year after they got Tomlinson they got Brees, and then later Rivers.  Worked out (kinda) for the Seahawks who drafted Alexander and then at least had a competent QB in Hasselbeck, made it to a Super Bowl.  It very well might end up working out for C.J. Spiller with Manuel looking promising.  Sure, we look at guys like Peterson and Johnson and Jones-Drew and the struggles their teams have had and say "oh, it's a passing league, running backs must not be very important to winning," but that's not true - running backs are important, but you need a good passing game in order to make good use of them.  The running backs in last year's Super Bowl were Ray Rice and Frank Gore.  Those are good running backs.  They do a lot for their teams.  So does Marshawn Lynch.  So did Michael Turner for a number of years in Atlanta.  Brian Westbrook did a lot to make the Eagles better when they had a good QB.  Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, the aforementioned Alexander and Tomlinson, all guys who did a lot to enhance their teams when the teams also had either a competent passing game or in a few cases a dominant defense.

So, yeah, we've clearly seen that you can't build a winning team around a running back.  But that doesn't mean that a good running back is a bad investment, because when you've already built your team around a franchise QB, for instance, a good running back can add a lot, and maybe even push you over the top.

Why are you solely focused on the title RB? He is a great blocker <--helps the O-line. Protects Luck.  He has great hands. <---another good receiver. Plus a punishing runner.

I've always observed that when teams don't have a critical certain need to fill they take the best player on the board at the time.

We have 2 out of the 3 best players in the 2012 draft...#1 Luck #2 RG3 #3 TRich

Works for me!!!

GO COLTS

My head has hurt every since this trade! Hopefully he gets in and rips off some runs so we can stop hearing the naysayers.

Whenever you get done with it, it's all OPINIONS! IMHO, if you have a chance to draft a game changing rb in the 1st round...you do it!

Why are you solely focused on the title RB? He is a great blocker <--helps the O-line. Protects Luck. He has great hands. <---another good receiver. Plus a punishing runner.

I've always observed that when teams don't have a critical certain need to fill they take the best player on the board at the time.

Works for me!!!

GO COLTS

hey one way to protect your QB from getting hit is to be able to run the ball so if he can do that alone he will help improve the pass protection for Luck. I would agree though he adds other value besides running the ball.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Why are you solely focused on the title RB? He is a great blocker <--helps the O-line. Protects Luck.  He has great hands. <---another good receiver. Plus a punishing runner.

I've always observed that when teams don't have a critical certain need to fill they take the best player on the board at the time.

Works for me!!!

GO COLTS

I've said this before and I'll say it again...TRich is not nearly as good as Adrian Peterson as a runner, but TRich is a better receiver than AP, and he is a better overall fit for this offense than Peterson would be.  In my opinion. Thoughts?

The never take a running back in the first round thing is over done. Yes, this year nobody did. Remember last year three running backs went in the first. Usually first round talent goes in the first round. If our pick is in the tweneties, we got a steal. 15-20, good value. Earlier, not so good but thats not going to happen hopefullly. If it does, we had a terrible season

But we flipped....Jvan....flipped like a dolphin....didn't we? We're Flippers./ Admit it.

Some of us may have, but you have not. From what I have read, you have not supported the trade since it has occurred. I would actually give you credit for sticking to your guns and disliking it totally. I dont agree with you however.....I love the trade.

Personally I've always thought the "rule" should be that you don't spend a first round pick on a running back and build your team around him in lieu of getting a franchise quarterback.  Sure, it's a passing league, but why wouldn't you want a top end running back if you already have a franchise quarterback?  I mean, look at Edgerrin James.  Sure, the Colts didn't win a Super Bowl with him, but given that we already had Manning, I call that a very successful pick.

The problem is that so many teams that draft a running back that early have crap at QB.  Maybe they assume they can get one one or two years down the line.  Worked out (mostly) for the Chargers since a year after they got Tomlinson they got Brees, and then later Rivers.  Worked out (kinda) for the Seahawks who drafted Alexander and then at least had a competent QB in Hasselbeck, made it to a Super Bowl.  It very well might end up working out for C.J. Spiller with Manuel looking promising.  Sure, we look at guys like Peterson and Johnson and Jones-Drew and the struggles their teams have had and say "oh, it's a passing league, running backs must not be very important to winning," but that's not true - running backs are important, but you need a good passing game in order to make good use of them.  The running backs in last year's Super Bowl were Ray Rice and Frank Gore.  Those are good running backs.  They do a lot for their teams.  So does Marshawn Lynch.  So did Michael Turner for a number of years in Atlanta.  Brian Westbrook did a lot to make the Eagles better when they had a good QB.  Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, the aforementioned Alexander and Tomlinson, all guys who did a lot to enhance their teams when the teams also had either a competent passing game or in a few cases a dominant defense.

So, yeah, we've clearly seen that you can't build a winning team around a running back.  But that doesn't mean that a good running back is a bad investment, because when you've already built your team around a franchise QB, for instance, a good running back can add a lot, and maybe even push you over the top.

This makes so much sense....I don't see why some people can't grasp this concept. Great post!

i just meant talent level in terms of chance to be the best running back in his draft class and one of the better backs in the league not that they were the same type of player although I do think Edge and Trent have some similar qualities.

"Post-knee injury" Edge wasn't meant to be an insult; he was still a great back.  What I mean was that he was lacking in the top-end speed necessary for long, break-away runs but was great at getting through the line and up the field.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...TRich is not nearly as good as Adrian Peterson as a runner, but TRich is a better receiver than AP, and he is a better overall fit for this offense than Peterson would be.  In my opinion. Thoughts?

Peterson is a better than any RB in any offense

But we flipped....Jvan....flipped like a dolphin....didn't we? We're Flippers./ Admit it.

I'm on board for two reasons,

1. It's a done deal- We spend a mid-late 1st round pick for a guy another team spent a 4th, 5th, and 7th to move up and take at #3 overall

2. He's been in the NFL and teams can assess his stenghts and weaknesses vs. his peers, not how his college film translates into the NFL.

Grigs and co. believe they have the SCehem and situation to get his best.  I'll have to see how the dice roll plays out.

Works for me!!!

GO COLTS

You really have to change that font

"Post-knee injury" Edge wasn't meant to be an insult; he was still a great back. What I mean was that he was lacking in the top-end speed necessary for long, break-away runs but was great at getting through the line and up the field.

oh I wasn't even thinking of it as an insult at all I was just trying to be clear about my point in the first place. I didn't want people thinking I was saying Richardson will be Edge 2.0.

Its about time window. RBs are usually 5-7 years. QB's and onlinemen can be 10-13. It is arguable that his presence will make the line better by keeping defenses away from the LOS and that his time window helps get us to a true contender in the next few years. I'll bet Andrew is happy.

No.

'Drafting' a RB at #24 means that he was vetted by 23 other teams who wanted to look elsewhere.

'Trading' for a RB at  #24 means that only one team thought there was more value there.

The argument was there's not value in drafting a RB in the first round because the talent isn't worth the pick.  But here, we feel that the talent (top-5, top-10 or whatever) is worth the pick and that this talent level would never make it to the pick we gave up.  It's an artificial marketplace created by a team (Browns) who just want something back in exchange for Richardson; if he went back into the 2014 draft, he'd never fall past the pick.  That artificial marketplace is different than the draft.

Fair enough

Guest TeamLoloJones

Peterson is a better than any RB in any offense

Peterson is a special special talent no doubt, I was really just saying the talent gap between TRich and AP isn't as bad as some people think when you include every aspect of their respective games.

I agree totally. Better receiver, blocker and possibly being 2nd or even 3rd or 4th to AP as a  runner has to be a plus for the colts.

We should have taken MJD in the first round.  We probably win another Super Bowl with him instead of the mediocre Addai/Brown combo. 

There is no rule regarding RBs in the first round.  The league is a cycle and everything comes back around.  There will always be a need for some guy who can break a 30 yard TD run.

NOPE....SORRY....I remember the debate....we all do..

RBs are a dime a dozen, we said..

The all go down we said. You can get quality in the 2nd or 3rd round..LTs, QBs, shutdown corners got in the 1st round.

Can we just admit we're total hypocrites..

or to put it more kindly.....fans!

not all said... some said.

I think that is more representative of the backs coming into the NFL.  You simply are not seeing the talent that was coming in before. If Edgerran James was in this last draft, he would have been a top 5 pick.  How many great NFL backs area there right now?  Adrian Peterson. Period.  So I think it has as much to do with talent as it does being a passing league.

AD is Elite. There are great level type backs.  Ray Rice. Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles, C.J. Spiller, Arian Foster, Chris Johnson, Alfred Morris, and Doug Martin just to name a few.  Frank Gore was an animal, might still be.  Just plugging in a decent 5th rounder is serviceable, but not always enough. I like Ballard a lot, but I may like TRich a lot more.  We shall see.

Guest TeamLoloJones

We should have taken MJD in the first round.  We probably win another Super Bowl with him instead of the mediocre Addai/Brown combo. 

There is no rule regarding RBs in the first round.  The league is a cycle and everything comes back around.  There will always be a need for some guy who can break a 30 yard TD run.

Defenses are doing everything they can right now to stop the pass and read option, eventually no one will be prepared or built to handle a between the tackles power run game.

I think that is more representative of the backs coming into the NFL.  You simply are not seeing the talent that was coming in before. If Edgerran James was in this last draft, he would have been a top 5 pick.  How many great NFL backs area there right now?  Adrian Peterson. Period.  So I think it has as much to do with talent as it does being a passing league.

James was a top 5 pick in the first place, so I'm not sure how that comparison is relevant?

I remember hearing/reading MJD is who Dungy was pulling for. In fact, MJD was confident the Colts were going to select him....ouch.

NOPE....SORRY....I remember the debate....we all do..

RBs are a dime a dozen, we said..

The all go down we said. You can get quality in the 2nd or 3rd round..LTs, QBs, shutdown corners got in the 1st round.

Can we just admit we're total hypocrites..

or to put it more kindly.....fans!

Pretty much- we all have some negative opinions on a player but when they come to your team how things change :)

Although Bav makes a good point.

Just a thought...

How would we feel if it was Denver that pulled off this trade-- A potential late 1st round pick for last year's 3rd overall pick, without having to pay Richardson's bonus? A cap friendly deal...for a great potential talent?  I think we'd be very jealous.

Would we be worried that they have a great QB, an awesome receiving corps, and now a very good running back? Well guess what? We have that now! Other teams (theoretically) are jealous of us that we have Luck, Wayne and company, and now Trent Richardson. We're the fortunate ones that made this happen. It's a big deal and now it's up to our team and Richardson to make this a success. It's still undefined at this point as to who got the better of the trade.

I know this is a message broad and we all go back on what we say.

We're all right and we're all wrong. Sometimes we go back on what we previously said.

But during the draft, I don't remember ANYONE here who didnt agree that you simply do not spend a No.1 pick on a running back in today's NFL. Many insisted that was true and that anyone who disagreed just wasn't knowledgable.

WHY??

1.) Because Its a passing league. To win, you get there by throwing the ball.

2.) Running backs don't last very long. The effective playing career is short. That's the position.

They all get hurt. They all have knee injuries.

3. You can always get a quality back in rounds two or three. No.1s are for other key positions...

But when our Colts spend a No.1 on a running back who has had some injuries...

Even though we just acquired a quality guy (albeit with injury concerns) we forget about all the things we previously said.

I hope the tandem of Bradshaw and Richardson works...the way our coaches suggest it will.

Many of you have heard me say that I want to make the playoffs EVERY year..even while we're rebuilding

But what about everything we previously said about 1st round RBs? Did we flip on all of that because we're Colts fans???

I think we all get what you want here in Indy OUM.

You want Luck to pass for 500 yards a game.

You want to be right.

Our Oline is better run blockers than pass blockers.

Thats why TR is here.

Beat that horse some more. He aint getting up....