Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell And Staff (Merges)

LUVTHESHOE

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually support you and all, but now your just ticking me off. You don't even field the best colts team out there that you possibly could. Why is Jacob Lacey still starting? He got outplayed badly today by Dwayne Bowe and he hasn't played that well this year. Our secondary is in shambles.

Why was Justin Tryon let go? Oh yeah, you won't answer that question. He was one of our 2 best cornerbacks on the roster but he still hardly even played. Why isn't Kevin Thomas playing? Why did you release Kelvin Hayden or resign him since our depth is not very good at CB right now?

Maybe your trying to make us lose all of our games this year so we can get the number one pick. If so, you are an *.

My main problem with you right now is the Justin Tryon situation.

Also, what is with Tryon saying that Caldwell is not making the roster decisions for the games? Let the head coach make the calls.

Thank you,

Colts fan

do not address letters to players and coaches. This is not a blog nor do the players and coaches look here for fan letters.

Do not call people names whether players coaches, or other board members

The purpose of the board is to discuss with other fans. Your post title and the content of your post should be directed toward them

How are you so 100% sure that Irsay is telling the truth? Do you honestly believe he would actually admit that Polian was calling the shots? If you believe that Irsay is always honest about the inner workings of the Colts FO you are being very naive. You can say "Irsay hasn't lied to us fans before" but the truth is, you have no idea if thats true or not.

When has Jim Irsay ever lied to us? Why would he just start lying about that? He went out of his way TWICE to point out Caldwell calls the shots on who plays and who doesn't. A lot of fans just rush to take the words of a disgruntled ex player as if it's unquestionable truth and don't like to hear the idea that Tryon might be the one who was wrong and my guess for that they don't like to hear that because they don't like Polian and what Tryon said IF true gives them more reason to hate the man. I don't think it's true. I am going to side with the owner. If you don't want too so be it.

The loss solely falls on Caldwell and even Polian. Other teams lose starters and do just fine because they have viable back ups (packers, saints, steelers all had injuries last year). Why did Caldwell choose Collins or why did the FO sign Collins? Look at how Painter has played the last 2 games, he has clearly outplayed Collins. The entire team is lacking talent in a ton of areas and its because Polian thinks finding late round gems is the way to go and spend the first round picks on busts (Gonzo, Hughes, Brown, Ugoh). .yeah thats the way to go Polian.

I wonder if anyone still going to say is not Caldwell fault. That stupid :censored: punted the ball & let the Chiefs run the time out! wth!!! Did he not see our Defense couldnt stop Chiefs at all the 2nd half..

So did you watch the game? He was going to punt, which I thought was insane, but then the Chiefs got a penalty and they went for it. Now wencan argue the play call and who the pass went to because both were terrible. At least p know what you are talking about when you bash him

Caldwell mightnbe safe because of Manning being hurt, but I think Coyer should be gone.

I'm watching highlights of the 49ers and Bills, and thinking about the Lions. They are playing so much better this year, why? Look at the defenses. Much more aggressive, blitzing ball hawking and we sit in the Cover 2. Let them complete everything in front of us and we'll try to make the tackle. How we been doing. Linebackers are tackling, 10 yards downfield. Not a great deal of pressure from the front four, Freeney and Mathis excluded. And the secondary plays off their receiver 10 yards. Quick slants and bubble screens go for 20 yards or to the house. We need coaches that WANT to attack. If they get beat on a play, knock em in the mouth. Show a little fire out there. And maybe get a coach, after a loss, that they gave away. Get MAD, Dennis Green mad. Not "disappointed".

When has Jim Irsay ever lied to us? Why would he just start lying about that? He went out of his way TWICE to point out Caldwell calls the shots on who plays and who doesn't. A lot of fans just rush to take the words of a disgruntled ex player as if it's unquestionable truth and don't like to hear the idea that Tryon might be the one who was wrong and my guess for that they don't like to hear that because they don't like Polian and what Tryon said IF true gives them more reason to hate the man. I don't think it's true. I am going to side with the owner. If you don't want too so be it.

I don't know if he's lied to us, just like you don't know that he hasn't. To think he's going to be admit that Polian is calling the shots from player personel to who starts and who sits is just silly, even if its the truth. You keep saying he went out of his way to point that out, of course he did, he just had a player publicly tweet their business and he thought he would fire a preemptive strike before the local and national media lit him up for it. It was his way of throwing water on the fire before it got out of control. It in no way, shape, or form means it was the truth.

I don't know if he's lied to us, just like you don't know that he hasn't. To think he's going to be admit that Polian is calling the shots from player personel to who starts and who sits is just silly, even if its the truth. You keep saying he went out of his way to point that out, of course he did, he just had a player publicly tweet their business and he thought he would fire a preemptive strike before the local and national media lit him up for it. It was his way of throwing water on the fire before it got out of control. It in no way, shape, or form means it was the truth.

He hasn't, stuff he posts are things like injury reports and saying we wont sign players or when we do make a personal move. Things that can be proven as fact because they did or didn't happen. None of those things he has posted have ever been wrong.

Polian isn't calling the shots, it's something fans who don't like Polian have made up. What do you think that the guy who has never had a track record of doing that with all of his other coaches just started doing it with Caldwell? I don't buy it.

Like i said if you don't agree with me fine you don't have too.

He hasn't, stuff he posts are things like injury reports and saying we wont sign players or when we do make a personal move. Things that can be proven as fact because they did or didn't happen. None of those things he has posted have ever been wrong.

Polian isn't calling the shots, it's something fans who don't like Polian have made up. What do you think that the guy who has never had a track record of doing that with all of his other coaches just started doing it with Caldwell? I don't buy it.

Like i said if you don't agree with me fine you don't have too.

All im trying to say, is that none of us know for an absolute fact that its not true because Irsay would never admit it if it was true, that would just be insane. I personally could care less who has the control between Polian and Caldwell because whoever it is they are epically failing at this point.

This was not caldwell's fault at all, this was all on the defense.. they have to get better on the field. The coaches actually had a good game plan but the defense just got outplayed.

Caldwell is ultimately responsible for the team so yes the defense constantly getting outplayed is his fault. Where is the so called good game plan that people keep speaking of?

manning doesnt catch the ball, he only throws it... granted there were some passes painter could have connected on like the one to wayne, but the colts defense are horrible on 3rd down so they would have gotten them selves tired anyway.

Manning kept the chains moving and kept us with a lead most games so the defense wasn't on the field nearly as long as they are now. Everyone keeps blaming the scheme and personnel. Who is responsible for the scheme and the personnel - the coach.

Mora & Dungy and Marv Leavy and even Dom Capers in Carolina were legitimate NFL head coaches whose opinion was likely given more merit and a stronger voice than when it comes to Caldwell. Caldwell has been on record saying "Nothing around here do I play a huge part in. My participation in most things, I try to make as minimal as I possibly can" This was in reference to the team bringing in Collins, who then Polian announces as the starter. Maybe deep down Caldwell would have gone with Painter if it was 100% his decision. Who knows at this point.

Polian is the Vice Chairman and the only person he answers to is Irsay and most owners, Jerry Jones withstanding do allow their Football executives to call the shots. Saying that Polain offers his opinion in more aspects, depth chart, playing time, is not a slap at Polian, it is just something that I can believe. I like Polian for the most part but reading quotes, interviews, and the such, it is easy to tell that he has an enormous ego and I'm sure he values his opinion more than he does that of Jim Caldwell. That's my personal opinion but that is the feeling I get.

Either way Peyton Manning has covered up inefficiencies for this team for years.

Edited by FIreJimmy

Blaming the coaching is a reach....

We know why we're 0-5...

we're just tired of repeating it...

Nobody's firing anybody....

How is blaming the coaches a reach? The coaches are responsible for the personnel and the scheme. Neither are working and yet the coaches continue doing the same things. I still blame Caldwell for the SB loss with is conservative play calling at the end of the first half. He should refund the money that I paid for those SB tickets. The guy flat out cannot coach. I wouldn't let him coach a Pop Warner team.

Good night people we don't have good enough players. The game plan was there the guy just aren't maing plays. That goes on the players not the coaches for that.

Honestly the coaches adjusted the way people wanted them too after Monday Night. We saw far less Tampa 2 and a lot more blitzing and trying to get after the QB with the linebackers up and leaving the cornerbacks in man coverage and they got burned. Maybe now people understand why the Colts were playing that way on Monday Night because it's pretty clear the secondary is not good enough to play to play man coverage.

Also once again we saw how many missed tackles? Again that goes on players not the coaching. Also I hate to say this but Lacey is our second best corner because Johnson and Rucker were getting torched just as much. I can't even begin to guess how bad Kevin Thomas must be if he can't even dress with those guys going. The secondary needs some major work in the off-season because there isn't much they can do about it right now.

The coaches did adjust they tried different corners out there today and all of them were getting burned except for Powers who missed the few tackles he had a chance to make. We just don't have good enough players in the secondary.

Also I know I am going to hear it from Polian but I really don't want this defense is not built to play with a lead right now. They have had a double digit lead the past two weeks and the players on the field blew it. They are built for Freeney and Mathis to get a pass rush and if they don't we are in big trouble on defense.

On the other side of the ball the Colts had a great game plan on offense and a make shift o-line played really well. They scored 24 points with a back up QB. I am sorry but if that isn't enough to win the main problem isn't the offense. We had two major problems on offense today, the Addai injury which you can't do much about and then the drops by Clark. I want to be clear this is coming from someone who is a huge Dallas Clark fan to the point he's my favorite player and who rags on Garcon about his drops. Clark's drops killed the offense in the second half. I know that's not anything shocking. If he makes those catches the drives keep going and we spend more time on the field. Once again it was the players on the field who didn't make the plays.

The coaching isn't the issue right now it's the players aren't playing well enough and this goes on them. The players are playing hard they just aren't that good. If people want to blame Polian for that go for it he gets the players. With that said some of it (namely the run defense) is due in part to the fact we are missing three key players in Brackett, Foster, Nevis up front. With that said, just because the players aren't playing well doesn't mean they aren't playing hard and the reaches people are making to blame the coaching staff and not blame the players just blows my mind.

The coaches chose these players and this system so yes it is on the coaches. The front office also has had years to fix the problems that we have every season but instead they continue to rely on late draft picks and undrafted free agents. We have never truly had a great team. We've had a great QB and a medocre rest of the team. Everyone knew that once Peyton was gone the team would be a 3 win team at best. No one was expecting Peyton to be gone until he decided to retire. We are not even a 3 win team with this coaching staff. A good coaching staff would be able to make adjustments on the fly and at least will a victory of a team. Look and all the new coaches in the league right now. They were expected to suffer due to the lockout. They are all actually doing better than our so called experience coaching staff.

So did you watch the game? He was going to punt, which I thought was insane, but then the Chiefs got a penalty and they went for it. Now wencan argue the play call and who the pass went to because both were terrible. At least p know what you are talking about when you bash him

Caldwell mightnbe safe because of Manning being hurt, but I think Coyer should be gone.

You are right about the situation but I was at the game today and when Caldwell sent the punt team out, the crowd let him know our displeasure in not going for it. When the penalty happened, we were excited to see him go for it ...BUT... The offense scrambled onto the field throwing helmets on and lining up. The play was a cluster. On the most important play of the game with the team in a little bit of disarray, why not call a timeout to get the offense in the right mindset and all on the same page of a good play? I know there were missed plays today with drops and missed tackles but to watch them dominate the first half then get dominated in the second half has to be a large part because of adjustments.

the deer was going to punt the ball and the flagged saved him. he was in the process of being booed out of the stadium.and run out of town, darn flag!

You are right about the situation but I was at the game today and when Caldwell sent the punt team out, the crowd let him know our displeasure in not going for it. When the penalty happened, we were excited to see him go for it ...BUT... The offense scrambled onto the field throwing helmets on and lining up. The play was a cluster. On the most important play of the game with the team in a little bit of disarray, why not call a timeout to get the offense in the right mindset and all on the same page of a good play? I know there were missed plays today with drops and missed tackles but to watch them dominate the first half then get dominated in the second half has to be a large part because of adjustments.

the timeout and challenge coach will be back soon.

Manning would have MAYBE gotten the colts on the board, but then guess what, the colts very tired and lacking secondary would have to come back on the field and get scored on again... the colts need help at CB because right now thats hurting them big time.

True, then the D would be back on the field, but at least a score would take longer than a 3 and out, getting the D some rest, and instead of KC scoring what was it, 21 unanswered points, we would at least keep up with them and stay up by 10 or 17. I'm sorry, with Peyton we win that game. But I do agree, the D and especially CB needs a ton of help.

No doubt... i think we as fans are impatient cause we all know that this change of the tampa 2 is not gonna come now or soon... the colts will try to stress every thing and see if they can do something else instead of doing away with the tampa 2.

Man you have no idea. I've been a diehard fan of several teams with high powered offenses and at least competent to disruptive defenses but watched those teams lose time and time again due to vanilla, prevent style defensive playcalling. From the late 80's to early 90's Houston Oilers, to the mid to late 90's Minnesota Vikings and pretty much the entire Manning era Colts.

I agree that blame definitely needs to be placed on both the coaches and the players. Up to this point I've been trying to keep faith and hope that maybe Caldwell and Coyer will figure something out. What I've noticed, and someone else mentioned in another thread, is that it seems Caldwell and Coyer do make some significant game to game adjustments, but they do very little as far as in-game adjustments. Yes, in the Chief's game they did try some new things we hadn't seen before. They stunted the DL a lot more. On several plays where tampa 2 coverage was called, they had the DT's play read-and-react and if it was a drop back pass, the DT would drop back and cover the short/middle zone that's voided by moving the MLB into deep zone. This worked in so far that Mathews dropped a pass, but the pass rush suffered as a direct by product. No longer were the DT's occupying blockers and disrupting the middle of the OL so KC was able to put more emphasis on Freeney and Mathis and negate them out of the play as well. Yes the Colts ran a lot of man coverage and they repeatedly got burnt. I'm not so much upset that they repeatedly were burnt because it's to be expected. I am surprised however they didn't try swapping Powers and Lacey and put Powers on Bowe and Lacey on Breaston. Sure, what most likely would have happened is that it would then have been Breaston torching the secondary but you never know, maybe somehow Lacey matches up better on Breaston and we see a little bit of improvement. Either way they could have tried it out.

The bottom line, however, is there's no way a team can lose 3 halftime leads in a row and ultimately lose the game and not expect a majority of the blame to be placed on the head coach. Yes the players have to execute and missed tackles, dropped passes etc all also factored in to the loss, but overall the blame is largely going to fall on the HC when a competitive team comes out and plays very well through 2 quarters but then gets burned in every aspect in the second half. Every halftime lead that is squandered is one step closer to the official announcement of Clyde Christiansen being named as interim head coach. If that's the case, then my preferences for a replacement would be Brian Billick or Jeff Fisher. I'm not on the Gruden bandwagon but at least I do think he would be an upgrade.

As the head coach, the blame for when a team lose goes on the coach, and the QB. In this case you have to blame the guy that is suppose to be running the show. You can not say hes doing a good job, if you do not win games. Even with us winning games he didnt do a good job lol. The problem is right now with our QB out Caldwell is taking tons of heat for not winning games. His team had a 24-3 lead and blew it in the second half. Dont blame the DC or the defence, The offense didnt play well that half as well as ST. So the whole team played like crap, which the blame has to fall on the Man running the show. Jim Caldwell

Edited by joo 2h