Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Thomas to have season-ending quad surgery.

Indyfan4life

Colts LG Donald Thomas needs season-ending surgery on his torn quadriceps tendon.

It's a big blow to the Colts. Signed to a four-year, $14 million deal in March, Thomas was a solid and versatile interior performer. The Colts will be forced to turn to third-round rookie Hugh Thornton, who primarily worked at right guard during the preseason.

Source: Indianapolis Star Sep 16 - 8:19 AM

Well, this stinks.

Colts LG Donald Thomas needs season-ending surgery on his torn quadriceps tendon.

It's a big blow to the Colts. Signed to a four-year, $14 million deal in March, Thomas was a solid and versatile interior performer. The Colts will be forced to turn to third-round rookie Hugh Thornton, who primarily worked at right guard during the preseason.

Source: Indianapolis Star Sep 16 - 8:19 AM

Well, this stinks.

I thought Hugh Thornton did a dang good job filling in for Thomas yesterday. 

Does anyone want to guess who they are going to sign to replace Thomas? I wish they didn't have to send Emmett Cleary to IR, he could have been a possibility. On PS they got Austin but he is a Center. I am thinking they could give Holmes a chance to play guard , get his feet wet. I remember Jeff Saturday played guard his first year with the Colts. 

I like his upside too. He also made some mistakes, such as the one on the last play of the dolphins game when he couldn't block the rusher coming at him. 

Actually I have to disagree.

The guy across from him was the LB that Brown missed.

If our lineman had picked up the men across from them Brown could have been back to support or release.

Instead whoever made the protection call had Satele vacating his man to help double the tackle to his right and Thornton jumping to his right to catch Satele`s man.

Thornton couldn`t quite get over there and Brown was left blocking a LB after he initially moved left (probably headed for the flat.

Neither got to the position needed to make their block.

Looked like a dumb blocking scheme based on the the D. I noticed a few of these schemes last game where our guys were not quick enough to get over to their assignments. Something the coaches need to "GET".

And of course Thornton wasn`t perfect playing LG in his first action.

What I do like is that he actually has the physical tools to play guard at a high level. Unlike anyone else on our roster.

4 position Chain-Link will be active this week. There is some relief for you.

Holmes is working at G & C. He will be needed.

Thornton showed some serious footspeed when pulling. I like his upside.

Off of a too-small sample...(one game) you can win with Thornton...

The Bears are starting 2 rookies on the right side.

This injury wont stop us.....(but we may have to close our eyes on a few plays at SF)