Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone remember Alfonzo Dennard?

NewColtsFan

Dennard was a CB who graduated the same year as the Luck class, 2012.   Very talented player from Nebraska...   probably a 2nd round pick based on talent.    But he beat up a cop about two weeks prior to the draft.... (ooops)   That, combined with previous character concerns dropped him to the 7th round where he was taken by......

The New England Patriots....  

There was some hand wringing and teeth gnashing over why the Colts didn't take him in the 7th round.

Well....  early this morning,  during the summer where everything has gone wrong for the Patriots,  Dennard got himself arrested for.....  DUI...

Suddenly, the line about a leopard and his spots seems to come to mind....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217242/article/patriots-alfonzo-dennard-arrested-on-suspicion-of-dui

This would be a bone-headed move on any day of the week, but for Dennard to let this happen now, while the Hernandez story is just really getting started, is inexcusable. Terrible decision-making.

The Patriots were likely going to reassess their personnel strategies after the Hernandez situation anyway; this pretty much seals it, I think.

I don't care if the team goes 4-12 for the next two seasons... as a fan, I want these guys gone, all of 'em. I'd rather root for a bunch of scrap-heap free agents.

This would be a bone-headed move on any day of the week, but for Dennard to let this happen now, while the Hernandez story is just really getting started, is inexcusable. Terrible decision-making.

The Patriots were likely going to reassess their personnel strategies after the Hernandez situation anyway; this pretty much seals it, I think.

I don't care if the team goes 4-12 for the next two seasons... as a fan, I want these guys gone, all of 'em. I'd rather root for a bunch of scrap-heap free agents.

Relax man. The AH case is pretty unique. DUI? Happens all the time. While I agree it is bad timming for Dennard and this probably means his release, it is what it is.

The NFL has a huge problem in general that needs to be addressed. Not sure if you saw the link I posted last week regarding number of arrests per team since 2000. The Pats came in at #24 with only 14 arrests. So they have been doing just fine. I think Kraft was spinning things a bit to be honest about being duped and all. No one saw a murderer within Hernandez - not FL, not the NFL as they let him into the draft, and not the Pats. For sure the Pats will take a longer look at players with rap sheets but they will sign some bad apples because you have to in order to field a 53 man team. For the most part the Pats locker room has been strong enough to keep guys in check and that is what they have to rely on as well as better scouting ...

Oh yes, for sure. He's pretty screwed I think.

Yeah. Three weeks before training camp, and he's going to find himself in front of a judge again. He'll probably do part of the 60 days he was originally sentenced to. And that probably costs him his spot on the roster, even if the Patriots don't decide to release him right away.

This is why I didn't want anything to do with Dennard in the draft. Two weeks before the draft, he gets into an altercation with an officer. That's after he already has a couple marks against his character, and at the worst possible time. Now, he exercises poor judgment again, right before camp start. Poor judgment + poor timing, twice now. Sometimes, you just have to take a guy off your draft board entirely. Evidently, that's what a lot of teams did.

The Pats had been having some success with "questionable character" guys, and with their team, they could get away with a so-called bad apple or two, without it derailing them entirely. But this is the last thing they wanted to see happen right now. It's a good thing they were able to hold on to Talib.

2 broncos staff DuI's etc also a great way to lead by example, whatr happening in the world of all sports

or is the media just reporting more or as in ah the crimes  alleged more sensational and we are all now to aware of it

I couldn't get 1st link to work so if others have same issue here is the story

In addition to the DUI, Dennard was also arrested for refusing to take a chemical test and committing a driving infraction

Police spokeswoman Katie Flood says Dennard, 24, was taken to a detoxification center but not jailed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-07-11/new-england-patriots-alfonzo-dennard-dui-arrest-aaron-hernandez?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D342513

FYI in seeing a story on book signing by Kronk he was of course asked about this and AH areest and said ask Goodell

THOUGHT U WOULD LIKE TO KNOW

Gronkowski, who did not have a cast on his surgically repaired arm, said he was in "great spirits" Thursday while promoting his book "Growing up Gronk" 

(( its nice to write something positive when one can these days ))

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217269/article/rob-gronkowski-on-nfl-crimes-ask-roger-goodell

Oh yes, for sure. He's pretty screwed I think.

Relax man. The AH case is pretty unique. DUI? Happens all the time. While I agree it is bad timming for Dennard and this probably means his release, it is what it is.

The NFL has a huge problem in general that needs to be addressed. Not sure if you saw the link I posted last week regarding number of arrests per team since 2000. The Pats came in at #24 with only 14 arrests. So they have been doing just fine. I think Kraft was spinning things a bit to be honest about being duped and all. No one saw a murderer within Hernandez - not FL, not the NFL as they let him into the draft, and not the Pats. For sure the Pats will take a longer look at players with rap sheets but they will sign some bad apples because you have to in order to field a 53 man team. For the most part the Pats locker room has been strong enough to keep guys in check and that is what they have to rely on as well as better scouting ...

Oh sure, I getcha... it's a league-wide problem. But on the heels of the Hernandez arrest, Dennard exhibited a very rare and extreme level of stupidity on this one. He's exposed the team to even more criticism, not to mention what this will do to their plans for the secondary, as he appeared to be a major piece there. Just dumb, dumb, dumb.

FYI in seeing a story on book signing by Kronk he was of course asked about this and AH areest and said ask Goodell

THOUGHT U WOULD LIKE TO KNOW

Gronkowski, who did not have a cast on his surgically repaired arm, said he was in "great spirits" Thursday while promoting his book "Growing up Gronk" 

(( its nice to write something positive when one can these days ))

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217269/article/rob-gronkowski-on-nfl-crimes-ask-roger-goodell

Gronk is looking like an altar boy at this point, lol!!

Yeah. Three weeks before training camp, and he's going to find himself in front of a judge again. He'll probably do part of the 60 days he was originally sentenced to. And that probably costs him his spot on the roster, even if the Patriots don't decide to release him right away.

This is why I didn't want anything to do with Dennard in the draft. Two weeks before the draft, he gets into an altercation with an officer. That's after he already has a couple marks against his character, and at the worst possible time. Now, he exercises poor judgment again, right before camp start. Poor judgment + poor timing, twice now. Sometimes, you just have to take a guy off your draft board entirely. Evidently, that's what a lot of teams did.

The Pats had been having some success with "questionable character" guys, and with their team, they could get away with a so-called bad apple or two, without it derailing them entirely. But this is the last thing they wanted to see happen right now. It's a good thing they were able to hold on to Talib.

The only saving grace here is that they didn't just hand him a ton of money, like they did with Hernandez. I can see taking a flier on him as a 7th rounder and I don't necessarily fault the team for that, but you're so right... this is the absolute last thing the Patriots needed right now. Salt on the wound.

And let's hope Talib behaves himself now!

I think I follow but will check with the missus, lol!

Basically he just got many blessinga, did a major read of the Torah in front of the congregation that u have to study for, for months  with a rabbi as words have to be said with specific accents & sometimes sort of like sung, and its the day u become a man and all sins going forward no longer are against your parents but as a man they all now belong to u the doer, That is u 

U now must take responsibility as a true man

I will never forget mine, I was sick and had Laryngitis, but u dont postpone these, once date is set its set as the passage u learn from the Torah is specific for that date I believe & u have many friends and relatives there too and then later have an affair as elaborate as a wedding

I couldnt have the party / affair as MY moms sister had died recently &  as being religious u are not supposed to hear music, laughter  so her sidfe couldnt come including my close cousin I grew up with , etc, enjoy things for a year so I took all my friends < COUGH COUGH COUGH to a Jets game, Probably was still Namath then at least

I'm sure Kraft and Belichick are p!ssed and will probably release him in the wake of Hernandez because Dennard betrayed their trust. But, it would be an overreaction. imo. DUI is a serious offense but it's not heinous like Hernandez'.

Oh sure, I getcha... it's a league-wide problem. But on the heels of the Hernandez arrest, Dennard exhibited a very rare and extreme level of stupidity on this one. He's exposed the team to even more criticism, not to mention what this will do to their plans for the secondary, as he appeared to be a major piece there. Just dumb, dumb, dumb.

On the stupid scale of 1-10, this is an 11.

A DUI all by itself is not the end of the world...

A DUI that violates probation is terrible, but even that would not under normal circumstances lead to being cut from most teams (IMO)

BUT....

A DUI that violates probation while the Patriots organization is going through the worst weeks of it's entire history is easily the bone-head move of the year...

Is it really that hard to stay out of trouble?     I'll normally defend a player to some extent over issues like this,  but it's the timing that shows spectacularly bad judgement.     Is there no sense of awareness that maybe -- just maybe -- going to a bar and being out late drinking might not be the best thing to do right about now?

Holy Mother of ......    well,  you get the idea.....     

This gets not one, but two    :facepalm:     :facepalm:  ....

I confess, athletes who have Million Dollar Talent,  but Ten Cent Heads drive me absolutely freaking crazy!!      :loco:

Well, as much as Mr Kraft displays a strong sense of pride in his organization, and BB wants a frim grip on distractions.....changes will be made. I feel sorry for the players on that team that do the right thing every day, and have to hear this thing about the helmet they wear because of poor judgement and bad character of other players.

The only way I can see it going is to have an even more stringent filter to choose players in the draft and FA.

24t overall, but number one in murders

I'm sure Kraft and Belichick are p!ssed and will probably release him in the wake of Hernandez because Dennard betrayed their trust. But, it would be an overreaction. imo. DUI is a serious offense but it's not heinous like Hernandez'.

Exactly, and this situation is testing what Kraft said to reporters a little more than 72 hours ago... it's a real sticky situation for them.

Judging too quickly? Maybe...

@rapsheet

Details from someone who heard Alfonzo Dennard's side of his arrest: He attempted to blow for breathalyzer twice. Told he was below limit...

More Dennard: Officer told him he hadn't blown hard enough, thus the did not comply designation. He was not asked to take a blood test.

More Dennard: He took a field sobriety test, was told it did not indicate inebriation. His report says he took 1, not that he failed it.

If that's true, it would be hard to get a conviction on a DUI charge.

Judging too quickly? Maybe...

@rapsheet

Details from someone who heard Alfonzo Dennard's side of his arrest: He attempted to blow for breathalyzer twice. Told he was below limit...

More Dennard: Officer told him he hadn't blown hard enough, thus the did not comply designation. He was not asked to take a blood test.

More Dennard: He took a field sobriety test, was told it did not indicate inebriation. His report says he took 1, not that he failed it.

If that's true, it would be hard to get a conviction on a DUI charge.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting. I hope it is true. :)

24t overall, but number one in murders

I heard Kraft just developed and installed a Murderer Detector at the players entrance. He's now going to market it to the rest of the world and change the criminal landscape forever.