Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top Rising Coaching Talent (Colts get lots of Love)

NewColtsFan

ESPN had Herm Edwards list the top 5 rising coaches in the NFL....

Herm listed 4 Head Coaches and one coordinator.

Our own Chuck Pagano was #1....    and the coordinator was none other than Pep Hamilton!

I've included the set-up that Edwards starts the piece with....   I think you'll like both...     :thmup:

Here's the Pagano write-up....

The coaching carousel is always turning and there's no way around it: It's hard to be a coach in the NFL. The biggest challenge is having a plan for your team and sticking to that plan -- even when things start to go wrong. I always said that you need to give players a roadmap of where you want to go -- you can shine the light as a coach, but they have to walk down that path. If you're consistent and protect the players in the media, they'll play for you. Some young coaches grasp this faster than others. And it doesn't hurt if you can win some games along the way.

I was asked to provide the names of five current coaches or coordinators who I thought were rising stars, to go along with ESPN Insider's Future Power Rankings project.

Here is my list:

Chuck Pagano, head coach, Indianapolis Colts

I've known Chuck forever and nothing more needs to be said about the challenge that he faced last season. He's a fighter and a leader.

On the field, Chuck is great at getting his players to play up to their potential. That sounds simple, but it's crucial for any head coach. Chuck is a people person, a players' coach and a great motivator. He was able to get a young team to come together emotionally and chemistry-wise, though the key is going to be keeping up that same energy for this season. Once he gets a couple more pieces for his 3-4 defense, this team is going to be very good. Chuck has 11 years of NFL experience on the defensive side of the football, and another 14 at the college level. The Colts are going to be set for the future with Chuck on the sideline and Andrew Luck under center.

And, here's the Hamilton write-up:

Pep Hamilton, offensive coordinator, Colts

The only guy on this list that isn't a current head coach, I have to give Pep some love. With 17 years of coaching under his belt (including seven years in the NFL), he goes to a great situation in Indy to coach his old pupil Luck, who he coached at Stanford. He worked on my staff with the New York Jets and he has a great offensive mind.  A good communicator with the players, Chuck will allow Pep to run the offense so he can focus on the defense.  Pep should continue to run a lot of two-tight end sets, with some added protection to keep Luck upright.   Don't be surprised if Pep has a head coaching job in a couple years.

Oh, and for the record,  Miami's Joe Philbin,  Philly's Chip Kelly and J'Ville's Gus Bradley were 2, 3, 4.

I'd be interested to see where we are on the Future Power Rankings article but I'm not an insider, has anyone seen?

I think we should put out a Power Ranking of the different websites that put out power rankings.

It would be more relevant.

I'd be interested to see where we are on the Future Power Rankings article but I'm not an insider, has anyone seen?

Power rankings really mean zero in my opinion. Look at last season's rankings and see how far the so called experts were off. You, me or anyone can make any ranking up and be as close as some I have looked at. It's easy to pick teams like the 49ers or the Seahawks at this point in the year. For 2 or 3 years running the Packers were the pick over everyone. Last year the Texans were the pick for some. 

Power rankings really mean zero in my opinion. Look at last season's rankings and see how far the so called experts were off. You, me or anyone can make any ranking up and be as close as some I have looked at. It's easy to pick teams like the 49ers or the Seahawks at this point in the year. For 2 or 3 years running the Packers were the pick over everyone. Last year the Texans were the pick for some.

While I agree to an extent, I still like to see other opinions about teams strength. Plus this article has a little twist in looking to the future so I was interested in what they thought about our long term prospects.

Colts were tied for 8th with the Rams.

• T8
Indianapolis Colts

LAST SEASON: 11-5 (second place AFC South)

ind.jpg

The bar graphs reflect the average rating given by the voters for each category.

Category averages are weighted by importance to generate overall score.

Roster: The Colts "gutted" this roster when they started the Andrew Luck era, which meant building this roster through the draft with mostly young players. Veteran stars like receiver Reggie Wayne and outside linebacker Robert Mathis will likely be gone by 2016 and there are not enough young difference-makers on this roster yet, but help is on the way. Luck will have two excellent tight ends in Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen, and the defense can build around inside linebacker Pat Angerer. -- Horton

Quarterback: Luck's presence on the roster helped the Colts secure a No. 2 ranking at quarterback (behind only the Packers). The Colts have only six players age 30 or older on their roster, but Wayne is one of them. Quarterbacks make receivers however, and Luck is going to be just fine. His efficiency should climb now that the Colts have reunited him with his college coordinator, Pep Hamilton. Luck ranked 35th out of 36 qualifying quarterbacks in completion percentage last season, but that was mostly a reflection of the Colts' emphasis on attempting longer passes. -- Sando

Draft: So what if they were handed the best opportunity to draft at No. 1 in maybe the last decade. The Colts didn't overthink the pick and took the right player in Luck. The Colts had an exceptional draft under Ryan Grigson in 2012 beyond the selection of Luck, and also head into next year with an extra fourth-rounder. How well they draft to protect Luck and maximize the early portion of his career could be the draft storyline to watch. -- Kiper

Front office: Chuck Pagano and Grigson begin their second year at the helm in 2013. The accent has been heavily on defense, as it should be. The switch from Tampa 2 to a 3-4 set was far from complete in 2012. But there will be questions on the offensive side that will demand attention as well. -- Polian

Coaching: What more needs to be said about Pagano? He was an inspiring story last year and did so much more than help lead a football team. The key for him this year will be building off that. After such an emotionally draining season, can he keep his team's energy up? Chuck is a great motivator, so it won't surprise me if the young Colts keep improving. It doesn't hurt that Luck is running the offense either. -- Edwards

Hate to even think about losing another good offensive coordinator to a head coaching position, but it would only mean he had proved himself a winner.

True and hopefully by that time Andrew is practically the team's offensive coordinator just like 18 was.

What is the "extra 4th rounder' Kiper is referring to? Aren't we minus a 4th round pick?

Yes....   Kiper got it backwards and I posted that in the 'comments' section of the Insiders story....

We don't have an 'extra' four....    we are without a 4....

Colts were tied for 8th with the Rams.

• T8
Indianapolis Colts

LAST SEASON: 11-5 (second place AFC South)

ind.jpg

The bar graphs reflect the average rating given by the voters for each category.

Category averages are weighted by importance to generate overall score.

Roster: The Colts "gutted" this roster when they started the Andrew Luck era, which meant building this roster through the draft with mostly young players. Veteran stars like receiver Reggie Wayne and outside linebacker Robert Mathis will likely be gone by 2016 and there are not enough young difference-makers on this roster yet, but help is on the way. Luck will have two excellent tight ends in Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen, and the defense can build around inside linebacker Pat Angerer. -- Horton

Quarterback: Luck's presence on the roster helped the Colts secure a No. 2 ranking at quarterback (behind only the Packers). The Colts have only six players age 30 or older on their roster, but Wayne is one of them. Quarterbacks make receivers however, and Luck is going to be just fine. His efficiency should climb now that the Colts have reunited him with his college coordinator, Pep Hamilton. Luck ranked 35th out of 36 qualifying quarterbacks in completion percentage last season, but that was mostly a reflection of the Colts' emphasis on attempting longer passes. -- Sando

Draft: So what if they were handed the best opportunity to draft at No. 1 in maybe the last decade. The Colts didn't overthink the pick and took the right player in Luck. The Colts had an exceptional draft under Ryan Grigson in 2012 beyond the selection of Luck, and also head into next year with an extra fourth-rounder. How well they draft to protect Luck and maximize the early portion of his career could be the draft storyline to watch. -- Kiper

Front office: Chuck Pagano and Grigson begin their second year at the helm in 2013. The accent has been heavily on defense, as it should be. The switch from Tampa 2 to a 3-4 set was far from complete in 2012. But there will be questions on the offensive side that will demand attention as well. -- Polian

Coaching: What more needs to be said about Pagano? He was an inspiring story last year and did so much more than help lead a football team. The key for him this year will be building off that. After such an emotionally draining season, can he keep his team's energy up? Chuck is a great motivator, so it won't surprise me if the young Colts keep improving. It doesn't hurt that Luck is running the offense either. -- Edwards

Because there is no conflict of interest having Bill Polian rate the guy who replaced him.  I think we have a much better front office then that.  

Because there is no conflict of interest having Bill Polian rate the guy who replaced him.  I think we have a much better front office then that.  

I think so too but objectively they only have one year under their belt so far. Lets see what they say after this season.