Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HOFer David "Deacon" Jones has passed away.

Dustin

Just saw it on NFL.com. I loved his physicality and attitude. Every opposing player of his time said they were afraid to line up against him. He said he'd try to put QB's in the hospital every time he tackled them and tear their heads off. We need more of that attitude in today's NFL, but you say that nowadays and Goodell will fine you like crazy.

@38:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFN304CiRyc

"When I see guys huddling up after the game, to pray, that's what scares me about the game.

I'm a Baptist, but I'm also a quarterback killer, and I ain't praying with you.

But I will give you 30 seconds to ask your Lord and master to keep me from killing you."

-Deacon Jones

Ah man...1st HOF QB Jim Kelly has cancer & now HOF DE & master of the head slap is gone...What in the world is going on today?! 2 of my favorite NFL idols are down & out for the count. This really blows man...

We lost a tough league forefather who made defense respectable & feared today. I am deeply saddened & furious at the same time to be honest with you...A pioneer of intimidation has died today...Not good at all...

"When I see guys huddling up after the game, to pray, that's what scares me about the game.

I'm a Baptist, but I'm also a quarterback killer, and I ain't praying with you.

But I will give you 30 seconds to ask your Lord and master to keep me from killing you."

-Deacon Jones

Deacon Jones viewed everybody he faced as "PREY"; food to consume & devour on site, especially QBs that's why I revered him. Like a Hyena hunting you down, there was no pardon, pass, or escape from Deacon Jones ever. He was relentless...

Just saw it on NFL.com. I loved his physicality and attitude. Every opposing player of his time said they were afraid to line up against him. He said he'd try to put QB's in the hospital every time he tackled them and tear their heads off. We need more of that attitude in today's NFL, but you say that nowadays and Goodell will fine you like crazy.

Preach ReMeDy! Preach! 

http://www.prometheusbooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1119&zenid=u0a36hiobdar8cb329036fgce7

Ah man...1st HOF QB Jim Kelly has cancer & now HOF DE & master of the head slap is gone...What in the world is going on today?! 2 of my favorite NFL idols are down & out for the count. This really blows man...

With his head slap opposing OT's for a week would answer the phone and no one was there!  Deacon, Rosey, Merlin and Lamar struck fear in the opponents!

@38:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFN304CiRyc

Today hed be fined for just saying it, oh how the game has changed

Great comments on a true legend.  

I remember my very first Bantom football game.  I was 9 years old.  I never realized at the time, but I was wearing the number 75.

The other team was driving down the field, and the QB was killing us running the ball...I decided I was going to have to do a "Deacon Jones" move to stymie the drive.  I was playing DT at the time...and I head-slapped the offensive lineman and buried the QB.  it knocked the wind out of the QB....and cost us 15 yards. I said"Deacon Jones did it all the time, and so does Otis Sistrunk!!!"  Not a good answer...15 yards... :ref:  :ref:  :ref:  :flag:  :flag:  :flag: :)

We will miss you Deacon!  NONE tougher!  Rest in Peace.

He may not have gone to Wake Forest, but try convincing his opposition this Deacon wasn't a demon on the field. 

RIP to one of football's legends who was among the best to ever played the game, at any position. Jones was exceptional on and off the field, and one of the most entertaining people to talk about football you'll ever see. Many players will say that they're lucky to have the NFL, but in this case, the NFL was lucky to have Deacon Jones.

Another cool random fact, he and Butkus actually share the same birthday. 

He may not have gone to Wake Forest, but try convincing his opposition this Deacon wasn't a demon on the field. 

RIP to one of football's legends who was among the best to ever played the game, at any position. Jones was exceptional on and off the field, and one of the most entertaining people to talk about football you'll ever see. Many players will say that they're lucky to have the NFL, but in this case, the NFL was lucky to have Deacon Jones.

And he and Butkus  wanted to hit a ball carrier so hard that they wanted to see the ball carrier's helmet rolling 20 yds downfield.  Ahh and with/or without the head and body attached!

Deacon Jones viewed everybody he faced as "PREY"; food to consume & devour on site, especially QBs that's why I revered him. Like a Hyena hunting you down, there was no pardon, pass, or escape from Deacon Jones ever. He was relentless...

Yes Brother he was one of the beast :rawr: that knew how to get it done, on the field had that mean streak and drive, much from the same cloth as Butkus  and  Nitschke !!

Yes Brother he was one of the beast :rawr: that knew how to get it done, on the field had that mean streak and drive, much from the same cloth as Butkus  and  Nitschke !!

Exactly Jay, I ran out of likes. Here are 5 thumbs up for ya:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:

Well said Hans! I had no idea that 2 NFL defensive legends had the same birthday either. Sweet!  :td:

This guy put fear in football players just thinking of that will make you understand how intimating this man was.

Yeah and football players from a generation that were 10 times as vicious as those of today.

The glory days of defensive football

The Steel Curtian...the Purple People Eaters.....

..and the Fearsome Foursome....

.......I remember of big and fast he seemed....270 was huge then...

Glad he lived a long life....

Great comments on a true legend.  

I remember my very first Bantom football game.  I was 9 years old.  I never realized at the time, but I was wearing the number 75.

The other team was driving down the field, and the QB was killing us running the ball...I decided I was going to have to do a "Deacon Jones" move to stymie the drive.  I was playing DT at the time...and I head-slapped the offensive lineman and buried the QB.  it knocked the wind out of the QB....and cost us 15 yards. I said"Deacon Jones did it all the time, and so does Otis Sistrunk!!!"  Not a good answer...15 yards... :ref:  :ref:  :ref:  :flag:  :flag:  :flag:  :)

We will miss you Deacon!  NONE tougher!  Rest in Peace.

Exactly Jay, I ran out of likes. Here are 5 thumbs up for ya:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:

A 14th-round draft pick in 1961 out of Mississippi Valley State,

credited with coining the word "sack" for how he knocked down quarterbacks

The Rams' stats show Jones with 159½ sacks for them and 173½ for his career all unofficial, of course. Jones also was one of the most durable players, missing just five games in his 14 pro seasons.

HOWEVER Because sacks didn't become an official statistic until 1982, Jones' total is uncertain.

His impact as a premier pass rusher and team leader is not.

Read more:David "Deacon" Jones, Hall of Famer, dies - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23389077/david-deacon-jones-hall-famer-dies#ixzz2VLRn5iIv