Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's Goofy , Shanahan Or Pep ?

dw49

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Shanahan has been coaching in the league for a long time. He may have some idea what he's talking about. I think we will see more and more Kaepernicks and Newtons and Griffins as QBs keep getting more and more athletic as they come into the league. I like the read-option stuff, a fun way to beat defenses. Traditional offenses are good too and it's always good to see diversity in the league.

One things for sure,there will always be diversity because the NFL is always evolving

There is a reason that running QB's don't last long in the NFL.  And that ones that stay mostly in the pocket have longer careers.  Yep, you guess it, injuries.  It isn't that the read option doesn't work, but your QB WILL take big hits, from guys twice their size.  And they will take injuries.

What running QB's have had their career's shortened due to injury? I can't recall many running QB's at all (since this new batch.....), never mind those who have been injured?

I think everyone seems to misunderstand how different the read option works in certain offenses..for example cam newton's read option isn't quite effective due to the formation..because of the pistol formation rg3 has more effectiveness..read options only work great given the formation..give rg3 the panther's standard formation for the read option and I doubt he'd last given the fact he wouldn't have as much space to run nor the time to pass..but give newton the pistol formation he'd look much like rg3 did or better.

Shanahan secretly wants Cousins to be the starter so he is trying to get Bob Griffin hurt..

Not sure where the sarcasm above was meant to be pointed. But there could be an issue that Shanahan wants to run this offense and he will do at at the risk of RG3 taking extra hits. Or he could truly believe that the offense he ran and will continue to run entails no extra risk on RG3" future health.

The purpose of the thread was to get people's feelings on that. IMO , I think the QB is prone to taking some nasty open field hits that are more dangerous than what a conventional QB faces operating from the pocket. Also after seeing how quickly Shanahan let an injured RG3 return the line up coupled with how he stayed with him in the Seattle loss , I think one would be a bit of a "sucker " believing what you infer. At least that is what I think you infer....

Not sure where the sarcasm above was meant to be pointed. But there could be an issue that Shanahan wants to run this offense and he will do at at the risk of RG3 taking extra hits. Or he could truly believe that the offense he ran and will continue to run entails no extra risk on RG3" future health.

The purpose of the thread was to get people's feelings on that. IMO , I think the QB is prone to taking some nasty open field hits that are more dangerous than what a conventional QB faces operating from the pocket. Also after seeing how quickly Shanahan let an injured RG3 return the line up coupled with how he stayed with him in the Seattle loss , I think one would be a bit of a "sucker " believing what you infer. At least that is what I think you infer....

Unfortunately I think he's serious. But I don't think that Shanahan is purposely trying to injure the Franchise or put Griffin knowingly in harms way. If Griff leads the team to a victory everybody hails he and Shanahan as tough and genius respectively. But because he got hurt and they lost all the conspiracy theories start flying and people start overreacting. I think all is well between Griffin and his coach personally.

Unfortunately I think he's serious. But I don't think that Shanahan is purposely trying to injure the Franchise or put Griffin knowingly in harms way. If Griff leads the team to a victory everybody hails he and Shanahan as tough and genius respectively. But because he got hurt and they lost all the conspiracy theories start flying and people start overreacting. I think all is well between Griffin and his coach personally.

I agree that Shanahan would never intentionally try to hurt RG3. My question is does he really belive that the offense he is running  doesn't put him in "extra" peril. It's not a given that RG3 would excel as a QB in a "conventional system." Some "experts" sem to think he might struggle with reading defenses . So it might not be "out of line" for some to think Shanahan believes this read option gives his team a far better chance to win than a conventional offense and he chooses to run it even though his QB faces a bigger chance of injury. 

Do I think that would be "beneath" Shanahan to do so ? Personally I think not. This is a win now league and he was under considerable pressure before drafting RG. So I guess the question is many , including Pep Hamilton , think this is a dangerous offense for a QB. Shahahan says no . Do you believe he's sincere ? I tend to think not as he lost credibility (for me anyway) by leaving him in that Seattle game. I don't think there was an "conspiracy" to it nor do I disagree with your belief that all is good between RG and coach.

I agree that Shanahan would never intentionally try to hurt RG3. My question is does he really belive that the offense he is running doesn't put him in "extra" peril. It's not a given that RG3 would excel as a QB in a "conventional system." Some "experts" sem to think he might struggle with reading defenses . So it might not be "out of line" for some to think Shanahan believes this read option gives his team a far better chance to win than a conventional offense and he chooses to run it even though his QB faces a bigger chance of injury.

Do I think that would be "beneath" Shanahan to do so ? Personally I think not. This is a win now league and he was under considerable pressure before drafting RG. So I guess the question is many , including Pep Hamilton , think this is a dangerous offense for a QB. Shahahan says no . Do you believe he's sincere ? I tend to think not as he lost credibility (for me anyway) by leaving him in that Seattle game. I don't think there was an "conspiracy" to it nor do I disagree with your belief that all is good between RG and coach.

Robert Griffin doesn't run a less than conventional system due to some inability to make reads. He runs it because it enhances his strengths, which is good for every QB. I myself can see what Shanahan is possibly seeing: An offense that can last as long as the QB makes the right decisions regarding hits. If he can do that, then the rest is gravy.

Robert Griffin doesn't run a less than conventional system due to some inability to make reads. He runs it because it enhances his strengths, which is good for every QB. I myself can see what Shanahan is possibly seeing: An offense that can last as long as the QB makes the right decisions regarding hits. If he can do that, then the rest is gravy.

I guess time will tell right ? You have only opinion and no facts as to the above. In fact truth of the matter is the only facts we have are the following.

1) RG3 is a very good talent.

2) RG3 had major knee surgery at Baylor

3) RG3 has had concussion issues at both Baylor and Washington

4) Shanahan appeared to not think any of RG3's injuries last year were serious at all. He was quick to both return him to game action and also leave him in games where some might think he should have come out.

1-4 are facts. What you write and try to make sound like facts are opinions. No offense but you do have a bit of a habit of over estimating your knowledge and just state it like it truth and not conjecture... which it really is. 

So considering the facts of what has happened and considering going forward in the same manner with this smallish and injury prone QB , some of us wonder if Shanahan is putting his own short term personal gain before the welfare of RG3's career. That sentence is way too long but what the heck...

I guess time will tell right ? You have only opinion and no facts as to the above. In fact truth of the matter is the only facts we have are the following.

4) Shanahan appeared to not think any of RG3's injuries last year were serious at all. He was quick to both return him to game action and also leave him in games where some might think he should have come out.

1-4 are facts. What you write and try to make sound like facts are opinions. No offense but you do have a bit of a habit of over estimating your knowledge and just state it like it truth and not conjecture... which it really is. 

So considering the facts of what has happened and considering going forward in the same manner with this smallish and injury prone QB , some of us wonder if Shanahan is putting his own short term personal gain before the welfare of RG3's career. That sentence is way too long but what the heck...

Nice.

(countering your long sentence)

Or he runs the RO because it plays to his strengths (as you say), because 'going through his reads' is not his strength (therefore a weakness). Out of interest, would you like to see the Texans start using the read option more? You seem to like it a lot, but I've never seen you wish it upon your own team....? Just curious.

I don't overestimate anything. I'm merely speculating like everyone else here. What about enhancing a quarterback's strengths is conjecture? Fact: Your team is bringing in a college OC who has succeeded in only one college system and who has zero NFL experience whatsoever because they want your QB to have the familiarity and to enhance his strengths. I don't recall any concussions for RG in college but I will look them up when I get off. You should provide some links to these "experts" claiming that Griff can't make reads.

Or he runs the RO because it plays to his strengths (as you say), because 'going through his reads' is not his strength (therefore a weakness). Out of interest, would you like to see the Texans start using the read option more? You seem to like it a lot, but I've never seen you wish it upon your own team....? Just curious.

This doesn't make much sense to be honest. Running the R-O requires an athletic QB.

Griffin is so effective at the offense he runs that he often doesn't have to go past the first or second read. Doesn't mean he can't.

As far as the Texans go, Matt Schaub is no track star and he can't run to save his life. Us running the read-option is completely out of the question. The pistol, however...

I don't overestimate anything. I'm merely speculating like everyone else here. What about enhancing a quarterback's strengths is conjecture? Fact: Your team is bringing in a college OC who has succeeded in only one college system and who has zero NFL experience whatsoever because they want your QB to have the familiarity and to enhance his strengths. I don't recall any concussions for RG in college but I will look them up when I get off. You should provide some links to these "experts" claiming that Griff can't make reads.

David Urban ESPN......

"Griffin suffered a concussion in Saturday's 66-24 win over Texas Tech after being hit as he slid near the end of the second quarter."

Fact: Pep Hamilton has NFL experience.

David Urban ESPN......

"Griffin suffered a concussion in Saturday's 66-24 win over Texas Tech after being hit as he slid near the end of the second quarter."

Ah. Nice. And the links or quotes to the ROTY QB not being able to read defenses?

No, you said he no nfl experience whatsoever. It's ok to admit your wrong sometimes.

I am wrong sometimes. But you're clearly just picking at something that can be easily inferred considering the topic we were discussing.

*you're

I am wrong sometimes. But you're clearly just picking at something that can be easily inferred considering the topic we were discussing.

*you're

Then maybe you should refrain from using words like "whatsoever" and "clearly"

Then maybe you should refrain from using words like "whatsoever" and "clearly"

Okay, next time I'll be overly specific and say that the guy has no offensive coordinating experience at the National Football League level whatsoever next time. Anything to please you guys.

Okay, next time I'll be overly specific and say that the guy has no offensive coordinating experience at the National Football League level whatsoever next time. Anything to please you guys.

Maybe it might be easier to just not be overly wrong in the first place.

;)

Shanahan takes the bulk of the blame for a lot of RG3's hits last year, and some of it is warranted, especially against the Seahawks. However, a lot of it was RG3's inexperience and immaturity. He had plenty of opportunities to throw the ball away (Our QB could be accused of the same), get out of bounds and slid. He didn't take them... and unfortunately, if he learns to do these things, I think their offense works.

Actually all you had to do was leave off "whatsoever" .

But then again you are the guy who claims he didn't know calling Reggie Wayne a journeyman and "solid" were insults.

Ah. Nice. And the links or quotes to the ROTY QB not being able to read defenses?

Maybe I just made it up and furthermore I did say "experts" , that could even mean guys like you. Point is that he came from a spread offense where he never had to make NFL type reads while in college. In the NFL offense he ran , the reads are far less complicated than what other QB's might be asked to do.

BTW , what does the amount of NFL experience Pep Hamilton has have to do with this discussion ? You are kidding and just trying to side track the beatings you have been taking right ? Or are somehow you trying to infer that he wouldn't know if the read option puts a QB in peril because he doesn't or hasn't seen see enough NFL action to qualify to comment on it ? Pretty lame if so as they run a lot of this offense has been run way more in college than the pros. So I guess Pep would have seen plenty enough of it to make a comment . Right...  ? Plus you would have to add to it the fact that it's even more QB dangerous as the defenders in the NFL are bigger , faster and stronger than the college players. 

Actually all you had to do was leave off "whatsoever" .

But then again you are the guy who claims he didn't know calling Reggie Wayne a journeyman and "solid" were insults.

I still don't see them as insults. A lot of sensitivity around here.

BTW , what does the amount of NFL experience Pep Hamilton has have to do with this discussion ? You are kidding and just trying to side track the beatings you have been taking right ? Or are somehow you trying to infer that he wouldn't know if the rfead option puts a QB in peril because he doesn't or hasn't seen see enough NFL action to qualify to comment on it ? Pretty lame if so as they run a lot of this offense has been run way more in college than the pros. So I guess Pep would have seen plenty enough of it to make a comment . Right... ? Plus you would have to add to it the fact that it's even more QB dangerous as the defenders in the NFL are bigger , faster and stronger than the college players.

But he didn't run the system in college. And he was an OC, not a DC, he's never had to plan or go straight up against it. He has about as much credence on the subject as you and I. Shanahan has run the pistol before and knows what he wants to do to win just like every other coach in the NFL does. QBs don't even have to take contact running the offense as long as they get out of bounds or use their heads and slide.

Maybe I just made it up and furthermore I did say "experts" , that could even mean guys like you. Point is that he came from a spread offense where he never had to make NFL type reads while in college. In the NFL offense he ran , the reads are far less complicated than what other QB's might be asked to do.

But it is an offense that is being run in the NFL. An offense that other teams are having success with as well. Guess we can't call it a college offense anymore.