Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandon Mckinney does time for speeding

Yeah, I think there's a missing piece of that story. Cause like you, I've never heard of a arrest made for "speeding". Guess society is really changing

He may have been guilty of DWB.  Driving while black. 

Curiously, there hasn't been one.  Not even on the ProFootballTalk Police Blotter page.

I don't think there's any doubt that it's him though.

Oh well, I think he is on the outside looking in and I think this seels his fate, I hope he learns from this either way

Oh well, I think he is on the outside looking in and I think this seels his fate, I hope he learns from this either way

Yeah, it's an uphill battle for him as it is.  Not playing for so long, and facing some stiff competition from younger guys with bigger upsides.

He still has the experience though.  That's one thing going for him.

Yeah, it's an uphill battle for him as it is.  Not playing for so long, and facing some stiff competition from younger guys with bigger upsides.

He still has the experience though.  That's one thing going for him.

Experience is great but when it comes down to it its what your able to do on the field, Besides we have Aubrayo Franklin whos far better and more experienced then Mckinney

To me, it was very appropriate. Speeding is a crime. And making him out to be a nice man in conjunction with a crime that kills was inappropriate. But then again, it is all down to personal standards.

Most of us have received a speeding ticket at some point in ours lives. It's a speeding ticket, who cares ! No one got hurt, so why play the " holyier than thou "card.

Most of us have received a speeding ticket at some point in ours lives. It's a speeding ticket, who cares ! No one got hurt, so why play the " holyier than thou "card.

Don't judge me by your standards, And I can assure you I do not have a 'holy' bone in my body. Each to their own though.

My friends mom got to spend acouple days with Brandon Mckinney a few days ago. Brandon had to serve two days at the Tri-county jail in Mechanicsburg, Ohio for excessive speeding. She said he was nice.FYI

So what was your friends Mom in for? :P

Don't judge me by your standards, And I can assure you I do not have a 'holy' bone in my body. Each to their own though.

I suspect that the disconnect on this thread is due to the innocuous nature of many speeding events, and how common they are. Any form that I have EVER filed out that required me to disclose if I had ever been convicted of a crime also included small print exempting the inclusion of routine motor vehicle offenses. It's just so common and trivial that it's largely irrelevant to an evaluation of one's character.

They are also often ambiguous and questionable. Consider the circumstances under which unusually low speed limits are put into place - such as next to a ball field where people tend to park all over the place and where kid's could run out into the street unexpectedly at any moment. Or in an industrial complex where a typical workday involves an abundance of tractor trailers operating in close quarters. I've gotten tickets in both places - except that by the ball field it was a weekday afternoon when school was in session, with no cars parked on the side of the street and a clear line of sight showing nary a child - or anyone else for that matter. And the industrial park was 10:00 on a Saturday night, with all of the tractor trailer drivers safely tucked away in a bar somewhere, and all the workers gone for the weekend. The circumstances that led to the imposition of the lower speed limits in the first place - probably due to lobbying by legitimately concerned citizens - simply didn't exist at the time that I was speeding. That's WHY I was speeding. In both cases virtually the only company that I had on the road was a police officer - parked discretely so as to be able to issues as many tickets as humanely possible. Traffic court is a municipal event here - often pretty much the only reason for the existence of a municipal court in the first place. Tickets are a HUGE source of income that towns count on to subsidize their budgets enough to avoid the unpleasant task of informing residences that they need to raise real estate taxes again. It's often a game having virtually nothing to do with either public safety or what a reasonable person might consider to be a crime. 

On the other hand, here we have a celebrity (wealthy enough to afford good lawyer) who never-the-less ended up in jail, and isn't raising a stink about the injustice of it all. One might assume that he did something truly ridiculous to warrant this, and in fact was acting in a manner that was a danger to society. Commenting on it no differently than if they had just come across him in a restaurant does sound a bit "off".

I suspect that the disconnect on this thread is due to the innocuous nature of many speeding events, and how common they are. Any form that I have EVER filed out that required me to disclose if I had ever been convicted of a crime also included small print exempting the inclusion of routine motor vehicle offenses. It's just so common and trivial that it's largely irrelevant to an evaluation of one's character.

They are also often ambiguous and questionable. Consider the circumstances under which unusually low speed limits are put into place - such as next to a ball field where people tend to park all over the place and where kid's could run out into the street unexpectedly at any moment. Or in an industrial complex where a typical workday involves an abundance of tractor trailers operating in close quarters. I've gotten tickets in both places - except that by the ball field it was a weekday afternoon when school was in session, with no cars parked on the side of the street and a clear line of sight showing nary a child - or anyone else for that matter. And the industrial park was 10:00 on a Saturday night, with all of the tractor trailer drivers safely tucked away in a bar somewhere, and all the workers gone for the weekend. The circumstances that led to the imposition of the lower speed limits in the first place - probably due to lobbying by legitimately concerned citizens - simply didn't exist at the time that I was speeding. That's WHY I was speeding. In both cases virtually the only company that I had on the road was a police officer - parked discretely so as to be able to issues as many tickets as humanely possible. Traffic court is a municipal event here - often pretty much the only reason for the existence of a municipal court in the first place. Tickets are a HUGE source of income that towns count on to subsidize their budgets enough to avoid the unpleasant task of informing residences that they need to raise real estate taxes again. It's often a game having virtually nothing to do with either public safety or what a reasonable person might consider to be a crime. 

On the other hand, here we have a celebrity (wealthy enough to afford good lawyer) who never-the-less ended up in jail, and isn't raising a stink about the injustice of it all. One might assume that he did something truly ridiculous to warrant this, and in fact was acting in a manner that was a danger to society. Commenting on it no differently than if they had just come across him in a restaurant does sound a bit "off".

Well said Mike, on all counts. Perhaps I've taken the higher moral ground because I've never had a speeding ticket. Mainly because I don't drive and never shall. It's not for me, and I have faith in public transport, taxi cabs and shanks' pony.

Well said Mike, on all counts. Perhaps I've taken the higher moral ground because I've never had a speeding ticket. Mainly because I don't drive and never shall. It's not for me, and I have faith in public transport, taxi cabs and shanks' pony.

Had to look up "shank's pony" :D Never heard that one before.

I imagine that's it's more common to do without over there than over here, although of course countless millions here live in cities where owning a car is more trouble than it's worth. I've had a few relatives like that - one of whom we used to pick up at the train station when she visited a few times per year. The others we didn't pick up, so we didn't see them as often. :P  As a lifelong suburbanite I'd feel helpless to the point of desperation without one.

For the record, I've had far more than two speeding tickets, and for most of them I was guilty as sin. Mostly when I was between 18-25. When we were young we used to grouse about the fact that "they say that insurance rates are ridiculously high until you turn 25. That's not fair". Than you grow up and realize that you were a :censored: , and that actuaries actua-ri-lly know what they are talking about. Best to leave your ego at the door when getting behind the wheel. Few kids are able to do that.

Speeding isn't necessarily a crime.  It depends on the state and what goes along with the violation.  It can be a civil offense, or an infraction.

Yes, it's dangerous.  And yes, it must have been excessive for him to get arrested.  We're all speculating now.

I think the OP's point was that he wasn't being a jerk about it.  Sounds like he owned his mistake.  

In Nevada I got pulled over for speeding and got a ticket. The ticket did not read speeding, it read unnecessary use of natural resources. That was quite a few years ago. I later was told that Nevada was fighting the federal speed limit law so they refused to list speeding on their tickets. I spent a lot of years as a long haul driver and I do know that Nevada and Montana really don't enforce speed limits except in residential areas. On a side note the fine I paid for the ticket in Nevada was $50 pay on the spot. I seriously thought it was just a money thing but the ticket did go on my driving record. It was OK as it was listed because of the point system on the CDL and for insurance premium in Indiana. Needless to say my insurance agent really didn't know how to list the ticket on my record so he just overlooked it. I know this was a long comment but I was backing up the comment as to the difference judgements from state to state and county to county.