Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Continues To Support Painter

grmasterb

Honestly this is a good sign. Not because Reggie is supporting Painter. Heck, come next year Painter should be a distant memory for Colts fans. This is a good sign to me because Reggie has not gotten discouraged with the recent QB struggles. He is still supporting the team, and that tells me he wants to stay in Indy with this being his contract year.

Honestly this is a good sign. Not because Reggie is supporting Painter. Heck, come next year Painter should be a distant memory for Colts fans. This is a good sign to me because Reggie has not gotten discouraged with the recent QB struggles. He is still supporting the team, and that tells me he wants to stay in Indy with this being his contract year.

I came in to make very near the same comments. As things get worse, this teams is coming together, rather than falling to pieces.

Personally, Reggie.. should support whatever the coach decides. I'm sure Collins isn't getting the warm and fuzzy feelings from Reggie, nor any confidence that anyone is supporting him. Reggie.. do what's best for the team and keep your mouth shut and do your job. All this Painter has my support stuff and not Collins will not help, but only hinder the timing process between him and Collins. Just my insight.

I believe Reggie is calling the company line into question. The Colts have always chirped on about "next man up" and while, in theory, that's a good philosophy, it should be applied uniformly. That mantra has been force fed to anyone who would dare complain about injuries or a general lack of depth at any position. However, when it becomes apparent that Manning can't go, the Colts discard that sentiment and go shopping for a quick fix. If the front office and coaches really want the players and fans to commit and buy into this philosophy, they have to be consistent. If for no other reason than this, I hope Curtis Painter starts until #18 can return.

That, more than any dislike of Kerry Collins or love of Curtis Painter, is what, in my opinion, is behind Reggie's comments as of late.

He is going to look stupid by supporting a team mate!?

If said player has yet to prove what he can do or isn't good, yes. Sorry, but if Wayne came out and said Brown should be starting over Addai or even Carter....Most would disagree with him. Painter has done nothing to prove to me he is a NFL QB. I hope he proves me wrong, I am begging him. But until he can prove he can do something, he isn't a starter.

If said player has yet to prove what he can do or isn't good, yes. Sorry, but if Wayne came out and said Brown should be starting over Addai or even Carter....Most would disagree with him. Painter has done nothing to prove to me he is a NFL QB. I hope he proves me wrong, I am begging him. But until he can prove he can do something, he isn't a starter.

I would trust Reggie's opinion on the man throwing him the ball more than his opinion on a running back though.

Also even the announcers touched on the difference in the out routs with Collings, they did it and then Painter came in and threw a perfect out to Garcon where the ball was on him as soon as he came out of his route.

We don't know anything about truly what Painter can do but when one of the best receivers in the league and in our franchise history, who has been catching balls from one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game says this kid should get a chance, at least I will listen to that.

how does one one prove he is a starting QB when one hasnt started?

I saw how he played at Purdue, wasn't impressed. I was stunned the Colts drafted him.

I would trust Reggie's opinion on the man throwing him the ball more than his opinion on a running back though.

Also even the announcers touched on the difference in the out routs with Collings, they did it and then Painter came in and threw a perfect out to Garcon where the ball was on him as soon as he came out of his route.

We don't know anything about truly what Painter can do but when one of the best receivers in the league and in our franchise history, who has been catching balls from one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game says this kid should get a chance, at least I will listen to that.

He also missed a wide open Garcon for a TD. I don't think he will do any worse than Collins has done, but I also don't think it will be better. But as I said, prove me wrong! I want him to.

I saw how he played at Purdue, wasn't impressed. I was stunned the Colts drafted him.

He also missed a wide open Garcon for a TD. I don't think he will do any worse than Collins has done, but I also don't think it will be better. But as I said, prove me wrong! I want him to.

I give him a free pass on that Garcon pass, he was jacked up and excited and saw a wide open Pierre, seasoned quarterbacks do the same thing.

Personally, Reggie.. should support whatever the coach decides. I'm sure Collins isn't getting the warm and fuzzy feelings from Reggie, nor any confidence that anyone is supporting him. Reggie.. do what's best for the team and keep your mouth shut and do your job. All this Painter has my support stuff and not Collins will not help, but only hinder the timing process between him and Collins. Just my insight.

Why should it hinder when collins sucks anyway... there was an out route that manning and wayne run all the time and collins missed by a mile... you would think that he can make that pass, wayne is a leader on this team and he can speak his mind whether a player likes it or not.. when your not performing well you get told that, no different in collins situation... he's a man he can take it.

I dont mind this at all..

Wayne is standing up for the young man.. He knows that Collins is a better player than Curtis but he also knows that Curtis knows the system...and Collins does not

Collins understands...He doesnt need Reggie Wayne to back him up or buck him up.

He knew he was walking into 'Peyton's world' and that everyone wasn't going to love him if he didnt do well..

This has got to boost Painter...

If we could win one game with Curtis at QB...who knows what Painter might turn into...??

Come on. Rex Grossman is QB for a team that's in 1st place..

Hope he says the same thing after Painter gets to actually prepare for a week before hand.

I think that's more important than anything else. Only once have we seen Curtis Painter start a game where he got extensive time with other starting caliber players, had a gameplan installed, and got to work through a few possessions and get a feel for the speed of the game. That was this preseason against the Packers. And he didn't light the world on fire, but he did reasonably well. He certainly did better than Collins has in his three starts so far.

So now, he gets a full week of practicing and preparing with the starters, he was the #1 guy in the quarterback meeting, the gameplan is designed around him, the coaches have an opportunity to play to his strengths and try to mask his weaknesses. This is the ideal situation for him, and this is what he should be judged by. I'm optimistic, but I'm not quite sure what to expect. I hope he plays well, helps the team move the ball and score touchdowns in the redzone. I hope he makes quick decisions, and I hope he avoids silly mistakes. If he's at all capable of doing so, he'll have to do it this Sunday. Because after this, there are no more excuses to be made for him.

You're making a circular argument akin to somebody looking for a job but not being able to find one because all the jobs require experience.

So how do you get the experience if no-one will hire you? I know, somebody takes a calculated risk and gives you the opportunity to develop.

I love a LOT of what I see from Painter, and more importantly apparently the front office (and Reggie) believe that he has the talent. Is he going to make mistakes? Absolutely. So what - every rookie QB in the history of the sport has make mistakes. This isn't a one game trial, it's the next step in his development as a QB. Personally my belief is that by the end of the season everyone will be more comfortable with our backup QB position than at any point in the Manning era.

I think that's more important than anything else. Only once have we seen Curtis Painter start a game where he got extensive time with other starting caliber players, had a gameplan installed, and got to work through a few possessions and get a feel for the speed of the game. That was this preseason against the Packers. And he didn't light the world on fire, but he did reasonably well. He certainly did better than Collins has in his three starts so far.

So now, he gets a full week of practicing and preparing with the starters, he was the #1 guy in the quarterback meeting, the gameplan is designed around him, the coaches have an opportunity to play to his strengths and try to mask his weaknesses. This is the ideal situation for him, and this is what he should be judged by. I'm optimistic, but I'm not quite sure what to expect. I hope he plays well, helps the team move the ball and score touchdowns in the redzone. I hope he makes quick decisions, and I hope he avoids silly mistakes. If he's at all capable of doing so, he'll have to do it this Sunday. Because after this, there are no more excuses to be made for him.

I couldn't agree more. I am not ready to write him off if he doesn't perform this Sunday. I am willing to give him 2 weeks with first team but I just don't want him to stink this week and les face it Collins has stunk so far. As long as he shows potential I. Am fine with it.

I couldn't agree more. I am not ready to write him off if he doesn't perform this Sunday. I am willing to give him 2 weeks with first team but I just don't want him to stink this week and les face it Collins has stunk so far. As long as he shows potential I. Am fine with it.

Yeah, I don't expect him to come out and earn a Pro Bowl bid, but I do expect him to do better than he was doing the first two weeks of the preseason, and I definitely expect him to do better than Mr. Collins did the first three weeks of the regular season. If he just absolutely lays an egg, I don't think there's any excuses left. "He's never played with the starters." "He's never had a full week of practice." "He's never had a gameplan designed for him." "He came in in the fourth quarter and took a couple series to get settled in." "He got thrown to the best defense in the NFL after half the best players were benched, and the crowd was booing the team because they gave up on a perfect season." Ad infinitum, ad nauseum. I think all those excuses have merit, some more than others. But none of them will apply after this week. I hope he takes advantage of this opportunity.

You're making a circular argument akin to somebody looking for a job but not being able to find one because all the jobs require experience.

So how do you get the experience if no-one will hire you? I know, somebody takes a calculated risk and gives you the opportunity to develop.

I love a LOT of what I see from Painter, and more importantly apparently the front office (and Reggie) believe that he has the talent. Is he going to make mistakes? Absolutely. So what - every rookie QB in the history of the sport has make mistakes. This isn't a one game trial, it's the next step in his development as a QB. Personally my belief is that by the end of the season everyone will be more comfortable with our backup QB position than at any point in the Manning era.

Thank you! I'm not sayin Curtis is gonna be good, just that we haven't gotten a good look yet to know whether he is or he isn't. Remember, people, what were people saying about Peyton the after his first few games? We went 3-13 his rookie season, remember? I don't, I was overseas and not into football yet! :) But we have to give him the benefit of the doubt for at least 2 games that he's actually prepared for and played with the starters!

I will second what some else already said above...This team is coming together not falling apart and that is key! I love to see it. They stick by one another through thick and thin. They lost a leader but they are all still working hard. What more could you ask for? I can't wait to watch them all play Monday Night...GO COLTS!

Reggie is typically a professional in every sense of the word. Happy to see him backing his Backup(pun intended) and I really, really hope reggie stays for another 3 years or so here.

I agree.

he is BY FAR our best and most polished receiver.

I feel he would really be missed and our passing game would really decline.

I feel losing Mathis would also be VERY noticeable so getting them both signed this offseason should be interesting.

I'm not saying Mathis is better than Freeney but I consider them #1 and #1A DEs. Neither is as good without the other I feel.

I will second what some else already said above...This team is coming together not falling apart and that is key! I love to see it. They stick by one another through thick and thin. They lost a leader but they are all still working hard. What more could you ask for? I can't wait to watch them all play Monday Night...GO COLTS!

Yea, it seems that the team is coming together and the management is falling apart.

Go figure.

Well said.

I hope the entire teams rallys around him and we actually get a much needed win in a division where no one team is taking control

I hope the entire team rallies around Joe and that the Colts hand him/throw him the ball a career high number of times (like we used to sometimes do with Edge) cause that's a more likely way to win.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, October 2, 2011 - Duplicate Post
Hidden by Coltssouth, October 2, 2011 - Duplicate Post

I hope the entire team rallies around Joe and that the Colts hand him/throw him the ball a career high number of times (like we used to sometimes do with Edge) cause that's a more likely way to win.

This. So much of this I want flashbacks to my childhood by screaming go joe

Painter jumped in to last weeks game. Drove the ball to a touchdown and came back out for another series to the crowd cheering him on. I thought it was fantastic and i'm sure he was bolstered to take it to the endzone. He's tough; he's good. Let's get behind him. Keep working in Painter. I like your game. I have confidence in you.

At which point he'll probably be lost for the season. No more than 20 carries for any one back please.

The Colts NEED to establish the run, but if they get too one dimensional either way they are in trouble.

Besides, in case you hadn't noticed, we have tons of terrific receivers and a QB who can get them the ball. Not utilizing your best weapons is foolish.