Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

To those whining about not addressing CB depth.

TruBlue

To all those whining about us not addressing CB depth in the draft. Have you not given ample thought to the fact that upgraded front 7 will have a dramatic effect on Coverage. 

If we can effectively collapse the pocket with the front 7 coverage will be dramatically easier for the back 4. Simple football here people. By watching the draft and free agency moves it is apparent to me the coaching staff feels the coverage will improve with who we have on hand, in the back 4.

In Grigson and Pagano I trust!

Go COLTS!!!

If you believed in the depth of this draft like most GMs were supposedly believing in, here was the logical verdict that came out of that. UDFAs in this draft could be 6th or 7th rounders in previous drafts, that is where the strength of the draft lay in, the depth. Besides, that is where you draft for depth, right?

Remember, when Bill Polian was drafting, and we wanted Blair White, he made a call to Blair White prior to the draft getting over stating that we were not drafting a WR and he will have a chance to make the roster.

Same case here, these UDFA CBs that may have been coveted by other teams probably saw that we did not draft a CB and they have a chance to make the roster better than several other teams that drafted a CB. As long as we fans understand that the depth has truly been addressed albeit in the form of UDFA CB or two, we will be fine.

I've been saying that since forever

A better pass rush, equals a better secondary

Prime Example: Cardinals vs the Rams last season when that "Janoris Jenkins is balling" thread got made on here. Honestly, did people REALLY think Larry Fitzgerald would let a Rookie shut him down? That pass rush of savages lead by Chris Long was why Jenkins was "Balling"

To all those whining about us not addressing CB depth in the draft. Have you not given ample thought to the fact that upgraded front 7 will have a dramatic effect on Coverage. 

If we can effectively collapse the pocket with the front 7 coverage will be dramatically easier for the back 4. Simple football here people. By watching the draft and free agency moves it is apparent to me the coaching staff feels the coverage will improve with who we have on hand, in the back 4.

Go COLTS!!!

Yeh but we need to stop the run , like if u know some one is gonna pass its way easier to dial up plays

Yes guys as the saying goes - Everything starts up front.  Whether offensively (run block and pass protection) or defensively (stopping the run and pass rush).

Prime Example: Cardinals vs the Rams last season when that "Janoris Jenkins is balling" thread got made on here. Honestly, did people REALLY think Larry Fitzgerald would let a Rookie shut him down? That pass rush of savages lead by Chris Long was why Jenkins was "Balling"

or the fact they just didnt have a QB who can throw. lol

• Below list is courtesy of StampedeBlue

Lanear Sampson, WR - Baylor (via @NEPD_Loyko)

Daxton Swanson, CB - Sam Houston State (via his Twitter @DSwan7)

Dan Moore, FB - Montana (via @Colts_101)

Brandon McManus, K - Temple (via @Colts_101)

C.O. Prime, ILB - Wagner (via his teammate)

Michael Josifovski, K - Marian (via his Twitter @M_Josifovski) - Invited to Rookie Mini-Camp

Emmett Cleary, OT - Boston College (via Mike Chappell).

Nigel Malone, CB - Kansas State (via Dan Kadar)

Denodus O'Bryant, RB - Lindenwood (via his Twitter @Denodus)

Sheldon Price, CB - UCLA (via his HS Coach)

Jamal-Rashad Patterson, WR - Stanford (via his Twitter @JamalRashad_Pat)

Nick Driskell, S - Mount Union (via his father)

Rodrick Rumble, WR - Idaho St (via ISU's Twitter)

Jordan Bright, DL - Indiana St (via his Twitter @IAmMegetron513)

Jerome Cunningham, TE - Southern Connecticut St (via teammate's Twitter)

I have been one of those whining. I trust Colts Management all the way...With that said There was so many CBs available that I thought we would at least get one big  to mid range name name. We have decent to avg Cbs but they seem to always seem to get hurt. It we are like 2 injuries away from being a grade above trash (as far as coverage goes) on the secondary IMO. Also Vontae Davis is in the last year of his contract who is to say he doesn't leave?

You may want to also factor in some of the worst quaterbacking in the modern era into your equation as well. 

Go COLTS!!!

No that doesnt work all the time.....pittsburgh stay with good front 7 but their corners are average at best and atleast two of them get burned all the time so no that theory doesnt always work especially with us because half the time our secondary stay with injuries so we still need to bring in a corner for depth reasons

No that doesnt work all the time.....pittsburgh stay with good front 7 but their corners are average at best and atleast two of them get burned all the time so no that theory doesnt always work especially with us because half the time our secondary stay with injuries so we still need to bring in a corner for depth reasons

Pittsburgh's secondary is heavily dependent on Troy Polumalu. When he's healthy they play well, if he's hurt their whole D suffers.

Same case here, these UDFA CBs that may have been coveted by other teams probably saw that we did not draft a CB and they have a chance to make the roster better than several other teams that drafted a CB. As long as we fans understand that the depth has truly been addressed albeit in the form of UDFA CB or two, we will be fine.

Yep...and at least one of them will probably make the roster...I'm betting on Swanson.