Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton assigns favorite movies as homework so younger player's get on the same page with him & can repeat lines & qoutes

bayone

It's a classic generation gap, which Manning tries to bridge through his love of cinema.

"In order to get on the same page with me, you need to watch these five movies so we can repeat lines and quotes."

So what are the movies that Manning assigns as homework to young teammates?

"I've changed it up over the years, but the main five are going to be "Vacation," "Fletch," "Stripes," "Caddyshack," and probably "The Jerk," Manning said, naming five comedies that star early cast members of "Saturday Night Live".

"Most of these guys have never heard of these movies, and they really don't think they're funny because it's different kind of humor. It's '70s, '80s, '90s humor, but whatever you can do to get on the same list."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162153/article/peyton-manning-assigns-favorite-movies-as-homework

Looks like we know the audibles. haha Just kidding.

Very strange exercise, but I am sure he has another motive behind this.

Cant wait to see what something like  audibling King Tut  deliveries, maybe he'll follow it up like with Walk like  Egyptian

It's a classic generation gap, which Manning tries to bridge through his love of cinema.

"In order to get on the same page with me, you need to watch these five movies so we can repeat lines and quotes."

"I've changed it up over the years, but the main five are going to be "Vacation," "Fletch," "Stripes," "Caddyshack," and probably "The Jerk," Manning said, naming five comedies that star early cast members of "Saturday Night Live".

"Most of these guys have never heard of these movies, and they really don't think they're funny because it's different kind of humor. It's '70s, '80s, '90s humor, but whatever you can do to get on the same list."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162153/article/peyton-manning-assigns-favorite-movies-as-homework

The underline part gets me, I'm 23 and these are some of my favorite movies, they're hilarious. Great selection there, Peyton.

The underline part gets me, I'm 23 and these are some of my favorite movies, they're hilarious. Great selection there, Peyton.

I/m 59, and seen and liked all ,, all are classics, , How younger Peyton teammates dont know these is beyond me, then  again Peyton wants them to remember be able to  ... repeat lines and quotes." so maybe Peyton has picked out certain sayings for specific reasons that me be appropriate for certain play audibles or to illustrate his meaning of something during game planning, with Peyton u just cant second guess what hes thinking , especially ahead of time without all the facts

anyway have a great night , Bye

Vacation has got to be the funniest movie of it's time. I watch it every time it comes on cable haha

Direct Tv heard, woke up, scanned channels 500-560 Fltech & Caddyshack both on, ((so is fletch 2 ) 

Caddys 2 not on but nowhere as good as original with Rodney 

those are all great classic comedies . . . with some being the gold standard for thier genre, great picks by PM 

That has to be the worst selection of movies all time. Sorry, not a huge fan of comedy in general, especially clown comedy. Everyone has their tastes I suppose and good for Manning trying to connect with guys 15 years or more younger than him.

I hear yah . .. but to an extent all comedy is clown comedy, that is the person who is being funny does something that a normal person would not . . .

What other genre would you pick to bond with players?  There are probably not many, outside of probably actions movies, but they too have a threshold of saturation . . .

If I had to assign movies for quotes, I'd assign:

1. Dumb and Dumber- "So you're telling me there's a chance?!! (so many good lines here.)

2. The Sandlot- "You're Killin' me Smalls"

3. Groundhog Day- "What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."

4. Happy Gilmore- "Just tap it in. Tap, tap, tap it in. " "Are you too good for your home?!!"

5. Billy Madison- "Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely *ic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I hear yah . .. but to an extent all comedy is clown comedy, that is the person who is being funny does something that a normal person would not . . .

What other genre would you pick to bond with players?  There are probably not many, outside of probably actions movies, but they too have a threshold of saturation . . .

There are dark comedies, romantic comedies and then the bafoon comedies on Peyton's list. I think to bond with players comedy probably makes the most sense or action as you say or perhaps horror. Although all the horror movies today are just remakes from the 70's and 80's. When is someone going to come up with the next Freddie?

There are dark comedies, romantic comedies and then the bafoon comedies on Peyton's list. I think to bond with players comedy probably makes the most sense or action as you say or perhaps horror. Although all the horror movies today are just remakes from the 70's and 80's. When is someone going to come up with the next Freddie?

I hear ya, but all the comedies have elements of each other . . .well all the great ones can pull it off . . . dark comedies are great and are among my favorites . . . but even these have elements of bafoonism to pull off the comedy . . . one of the greatest, and my personal favorite, black comedies is Dr. Stranglove, but it had funny names for the characters (not that different than the funny names of characters in the great Three Stooges shorts),  Slim Picken's character Maj "King" Kong was basically a cowboy flying a B-52 and he hated the "ruskies" and flew on the back of a bomb like a bucking bull, Sterling Hayden's character of Gen Jack Ripper decides to release the B-52 passed their fail safe points and is paranoid that the Russians, threw the use of flouridation, are effecting  our "precious bodily fluids," George C. Scott's character it a bafoom more worried about the big board and the number of deaths, Peter Sellers in the main character Dr. Stranglelove is a weirdo with some slapstick . . . yes there are some straight characters, peter sellers other two characters, the president and Ripper british assistent and Keenan Wynn's character . . .

surely it takes some great acting to pull of some of these acts,  one my favorite scenes is when Ripper explain to his assistant why he released the B-52 . .... but at is base this comedy has levels of bafoonisn to pull off the overall comedy . . .

yes there are many "summer" movies comedies that are not that great, but some of those on the above list pulled off some classic scenes with some good acting to put off the comedy, just as it took to pull of Dr. Strangelove . . . altho i do prefer it over the above . . .

I will admit tho that one of my favorite comedies is Dr. Stranglelove . . . but by the same token an equal favorite of mine is Its a Mad. Mad, Mad, Mad World . . .

I hear ya, but all the comedies have elements of each other . . .well all the great ones can pull it off . . . dark comedies are great and are among my favorites . . . but even these have elements of bafoonism to pull off the comedy . . . one of the greatest, and my personal favorite, black comedies is Dr. Stranglove, but it had funny names for the characters (not that different than the funny names of characters in the great Three Stooges shorts),  Slim Picken's character Maj "King" Kong was basically a cowboy flying a B-52 and he hated the "ruskies" and flew on the back of a bomb like a bucking bull, Sterling Hayden's character of Gen Jack Ripper decides to release the B-52 passed their fail safe points and is paranoid that the Russians, threw the use of flouridation, are effecting  our "precious bodily fluids," George C. Scott's character it a bafoom more worried about the big board and the number of deaths, Peter Sellers in the main character Dr. Stranglelove is a weirdo with some slapstick . . . yes there are some straight characters, peter sellers other two characters, the president and Ripper british assistent and Keenan Wynn's character . . .

surely it takes some great acting to pull of some of these acts,  one my favorite scenes is when Ripper explain to his assistant why he released the B-52 . .... but at is base this comedy has levels of bafoonisn to pull off the overall comedy . . .

yes there are many "summer" movies comedies that are not that great, but some of those on the above list pulled off some classic scenes with some good acting to put off the comedy, just as it took to pull of Dr. Strangelove . . . altho i do prefer it over the above . . .

I will admit tho that one of my favorite comedies is Dr. Stranglelove . . . but by the same token an equal favorite of mine is Its a Mad. Mad, Mad, Mad World . . .

Dr. Strangelove or .... How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, --- A Kubrick CLASSIC 

Hayden was commander of  Burpelson Air Force Base thats a great name too

Just saw both again recently on satellite TV , thge Mad Mad , ... eertc wworld I love both too ...great stars Milton Berle ,Ethel Merman , Hacket, Mickey Rooney , Sid Ceaser etc really to many greats , that is all time greats to name ,  what a cast all after a trasure from the lips of a dying man, and bringing up the rear / investifgation, the Cop Spencer Tracy   ,  

The cast list in a way reminds me of The Longest Day just comedians instead of action stars, u have this huge list including tons of strars and in the end it says in larger letters & John Wayne

U just dont casts like that these days , far to many stars , way to costly

I own both Strangelove and MMW

Just saw both again recently on satellite TV , thge Mad Mad , ... eertc wworld I love both too ...great stars Milton Berle ,Ethel Merman , Hacket, Mickey Rooney , Sid Ceaser etc really to many greats , that is all time greats to name ,  what a cast all after a trasure from the lips of a dying man, and bringing up the rear / investifgation, the Cop Spencer Tracy   ,  

The cast list in a way reminds me of The Longest Day just comedians instead of action stars, u have this huge list including tons of strars and in the end it says in larger letters & John Wayne

U just dont casts like that these days , far to many stars , way to costly

thje great thing about the Mad World was that they pulled off a great movie . .. sometimes when you have so many great actors it can hurt the movie . . . and yes the Longest Day had its list of great actors . . .

I own both Strangelove and MMW

I hear ya . . .when VHS first came out I never spent the money, but my first movie that I bought on VHS was Stranglelove . . . followed by How Green Was My Valley, that movie still brings tears, smiles, and goosebumps, too many great scenes to name . . .

I hear ya . . .when VHS first came out I never spent the money, but my first movie that I bought on VHS was Stranglelove . . . followed by How Green Was My Valley, that movie still brings tears, smiles, and goosebumps, too many great scenes to name . . .

a John Ford Non Western ,. yes a sad movie, how fortunate bit to have to have lived that way but many still do

Walter Pigopn another all time great from old movie classics

Wasnt Roddy McDowell a kid, his son in it I think

'

Like seeing Adult  stars as kid roles like Kurt Russell in old westerns as a child, amazing what they grew up into, so g hard to make the transition from child star to film adult star